PDA

View Full Version : Clueless People Diagnosing Problems Instead of Reporting Them

Simplex3
12-10-2005, 10:12 AM
WTF is it with people needing to tell you what to do rather than report they're having a problem when in fact they don't have a f**king clue? I get calls and emails like this constantly. It's sad and pathetic when someone that doesn't know what they're talking about does it, but it's a freaking travesty when someone in your industry does it.

For example, I just got an email from a supposedly technical guy telling me that the DNS wasn't working for a link I sent him. So I spend 15m trying to diagnose DNS issues. Everything appears to be working fine. I jump on the firewall to see if something has changed there, nothing. While in there I DO notice that I haven't changed my NAT settings to the new internal IP for the web server. So, he is having an issue but it isn't name resolution. A problem he should have been able to diagnose by noticing that the name WAS resolving, but he was getting connection refused messages. Had he told me "I'm getting connection refused messages" I would have known immediately where to look. Had he simply said "something is wrong" I would have asked him a couple of questions and known where to look. But NOOOO, he has to show up with this false confidence and strip me of time in MY life.

A note to everyone: If you don't know WTF you're talking about don't act like you do. Don't tell your technical guy the Internet is down when the truth is you can't get to one web site. Don't tell your mechanic your alternator is hosed when all you really know is that you have to keep jump starting your car. The expert already knows you don't know what the hell you're talking about, that's why you've come to him. Simply give them the facts, not your amateur and stupid interpretation of them.

That is all.

morphius
12-10-2005, 10:20 AM
It is amazing how many times I get calls telling me that DNS is having issues, when it looks just damn fine.

4th and Long
12-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Someone needs a new job or a vacation, Mr Grouchy Pants. :D

Sully
12-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I keep having problems with my TPS Reports.

Extra Point
12-10-2005, 10:25 AM
The fuggin' alternator is always wired, never hosed, anyway.

Otter
12-10-2005, 10:26 AM
The internet is down huh, ok, here's what I'm going to need you to do:

Hold down the following four keys at the same time: "+" on your numeric keypad "ESC", "F9" and "Sys Rq". When you have them all depressed right click.

This will shuffle you're IP stack so there's no wild cards and root out any flow conflicts in the 8th OSI level that you may have.

Now get crackin.

Hog Rider
12-10-2005, 10:42 AM
That's why I don't post much on here!

Zebedee DuBois
12-10-2005, 10:47 AM
It is human nature to apply obtained knowlege, no matter how inaccurate or unrelated, to any problem or new situation.

HC_Chief
12-10-2005, 10:48 AM
you crashed the internet

Bob Dole
12-10-2005, 10:56 AM

Great work!

http://www.mobica.com/images/high-five.jpg

Simplex3
12-10-2005, 11:04 AM
It is human nature to apply obtained knowlege, no matter how inaccurate or unrelated, to any problem or new situation.
Like the medical student who finds a patient with the disease they studied yesterday?

htismaqe
12-10-2005, 11:20 AM

Because your DNS isn't working?

Simplex3
12-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Because your DNS isn't working?
No, the support beams in his house are too small. Jeez.