PDA

View Full Version : Was DJ's holding penalty inevitable?

Thig Lyfe
12-11-2005, 10:39 PM
In other words, if he had not held, would Wesley have been able to strip Witten?

I'm not sure.

And if this werethe case, and the Cowboys got the TD on that play, wouldn't that have been better because the O would have had 1 or 2 timeouts and 45 seconds to work with?

12-11-2005, 10:41 PM
I personally wanted them to just score quick and put it back in the hands of our offense.

Dunit35
12-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Wesley wouldnt have stopped him anyways. It looked like Whitten was wanting to go on an out route anyways, but DJ made him go in.

ZootedGranny
12-11-2005, 10:45 PM
DJ had to hold, or else Wesley wouldn't have gotten there in time. That said, if DJ would've bumped Witten at the line, he would'nt have had to hold so blatantly.

Nzoner
12-11-2005, 10:52 PM
I personally wanted them to just score quick and put it back in the hands of our offense.

There was a game a couple of years ago where the coach opted to let the other team waltz right in for that very reason.I was telling my guests that's what DV should do and they thought I was crazy.

Guess we'll never know what if now.

12-11-2005, 10:57 PM
There was a game a couple of years ago where the coach opted to let the other team waltz right in for that very reason.I was telling my guests that's what DV should do and they thought I was crazy.

Glad I was not alone on that one.

splatbass
12-12-2005, 12:49 AM

Holmgren did that once when he coached the Packers. IIRC they came back and won the game.

Dunit35
12-12-2005, 12:54 AM
Holmgren did that once when he coached the Packers. IIRC they came back and won the game.

I was hoping they would just let them in cause I knew we werent going to stop them anyways. There are just times when you know this defense isnt going to stop someone when they need to.

Earthling
12-12-2005, 12:58 AM

In the Super Bowl against Denver..iirc. However, the Packers did lose , but had a chance that they otherwise wouldn't have had.

Thig Lyfe
12-12-2005, 11:57 AM
They should have let them in the moment they got in the red zone... that's over a minute and 2 timeouts left. And that's more than enough time for this O to score a touchdown and win.

Brock
12-12-2005, 12:17 PM
They should have let them in the moment they got in the red zone... that's over a minute and 2 timeouts left. And that's more than enough time for this O to score a touchdown and win.

That's ridiculous. If it weren't for the holding penalty, the Cowboys wouldn't have scored at all.

jidar
12-12-2005, 12:20 PM
hahaha
How many more people are going to come in here and say "Yeah I would have let them in too!"
It's like an 'I am a god damned idiot' bandwagon.

Thig Lyfe
12-12-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm wondering if the hold was what gave Wesley the time, the split-second to break up the pass. It seems that way, but I'd have to look at the tape.

And you have to consider who you trust to win a game: our Offense or our _efense, especially taking into account how the game had went.

No sane person would think the _efense has a better chance to win.

Chiefnj
12-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Letting them score once they were in the redzone is idiotic. They needed a TD, not a field goal. You make the team earn it. But for the penalty the Chiefs D would have held. Maybe, maybe you let them in if it is first and goal from the one, but further away - you play the game.

sedated
12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
You have to make them earn it in that case.

How many times have you seen something crazy happen when a team was about to score? (SEA in '02, HOU in '04, DAL in '05)