PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs are now #1 offense in NFL!!!

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Hard to believe with the way this season has gone, but we do have the goods to win the SB. Yes, thats what I said. SUPERBOWL! We got to just make it to the playoffs first and then it's a new season. We're also #6 in rushing defense and have not allowed a 100 yard back in 20 games. We are playing better right now than at any point in the season even though we just lost to Dallas. THERE IS HOPE AND I"M PUMPED!!!!

GOOOOO CHIEEEFS!!!!!!!

Taco John
12-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Ouch. I didn't realize that. Congrats.

jspchief
12-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Yay!! We're #1!!!!!

And we just lost!!!! Woo HOOO!!!!!

Time to raise a toast to your 2003 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

WOOT!

Mr. Kotter
12-13-2005, 10:55 AM

I'd rather be 5 or 6 in offense, AND 14 or 15 in defense. :banghead:

Thig Lyfe
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Yay!! We're #1!!!!!

And we just lost!!!! Woo HOOO!!!!!

Time to raise a toast to your 2003 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

WOOT!

Exactly what came to mind.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM

Thanks! But to be honest ,I hope to God we don't have to play you guys again. Good luck in the playoffs.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Good luck in the playoffs.
I hope to God I left my sarcasm filter at home. :shake:

jjchieffan
12-13-2005, 11:00 AM
That is impressive considering that we elevated to #1 after playing top defenses the last 2 weeks

Pitt Gorilla
12-13-2005, 11:00 AM
I hope to God I left my sarcasm filter at home. :shake:I love your avi.

Donger
12-13-2005, 11:01 AM
That's nice. Too bad that the defense just got stomped like a narc at a biker rally. By the Retarded Biker Chapter of Arlington, no less.

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes, we are again #1 in offense....but #27 in D, which is the reason we are fighting for a wildcard spot instead of cruising towards the #2 seed....

Thanks to the defensive "braintrust", we are going to waste another year of having the best offensive unit in football.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
I think what's impressive is that we've risen to #1 even after a two or three miserable offensive outings!

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
I love your avi.
Yeah, I post more now, just so I can see it more.

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 11:10 AM
...but we do have the goods to win the SB. Yes, thats what I said. SUPERBOWL!

We're 27th in total defense; unless that improves, we're not even going to get past NY on Saturday.

...hoping to see a defensive turnaround against Manning.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Just more proof that the offensive "decline" was a load of horseshit.

I'm hopeful that Roaf and Shields can return next year.

We'll be pretty good at worst on offense if that happens, especially with Samie Parker looking more and more like a dependable starter at WR.

MichaelH
12-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Maybe we'll have a chance at the SuperBowl next year!

:)

morphius
12-13-2005, 11:23 AM
This really doesn't make me feel any better about our chances.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 11:29 AM
This really doesn't make me feel any better about our chances.

It should.

The fact that our offense played so well on the road against a really good defense means we can win just about anywhere if the defense yanks it's head out of it's ass.

el borracho
12-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Just more proof that the offensive "decline" was a load of horseshit.

I'm hopeful that Roaf and Shields can return next year.

We'll be pretty good at worst on offense if that happens, especially with Samie Parker looking more and more like a dependable starter at WR.
I realize that Parker has been hurt this year but, overall, I would say he has a ways to go before I would call him a dependable starter.

Just for reference:

Kennison 56 recs for 911 yards, 5 TDs
Gonzalez 64 recs for 737 yards, 2 TDs
Hall 28 recs for 373 yards, 3 TDs
Parker 25 recs for 372 yards, 2 TDs
Horn 18 recs for 187 yards, 0 TDs

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 11:33 AM
While that's true, Parker has looked very good since returning from injury.

I bet he finishes the year with close to 600 yards.

The play he made on 3rd and long when we were backed up inside the 5 yardline was great stuff...that's why the Chiefs had no problem letting Morton go. Parker can make that kind of play...Morton can't.

MichaelH
12-13-2005, 11:34 AM
I think it's more than the defense that needs head from ass extraction. They stunk bad, really bad. But the defense didn't cause the flop in Buffalo or the deer caught in the headlights look in Denver.

I blame Al Saunders

jspchief
12-13-2005, 11:34 AM
It should.

The fact that our offense played so well on the road against a really good defense means we can win just about anywhere if the defense yanks it's head out of it's ass.Yea, just look at what it did for us in 2002, 2003, and 2004. :rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Yea, just look at what it did for us in 2002, 2003, and 2004. :rolleyes:

C'mon, this defense is NOT as bad as it was then. As tk13 was saying, teams can't just line up and kill us with vanilla-style offense.

Simply Red
12-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Whatever, just win out and make it to the play-offs.

MichaelH
12-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Whatever, just win out and make it to the play-offs.

I've been saying that for weeks! Maybe they weren't listening in Dallas.

ROFL

siberian khatru
12-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Mods, please delete my "Chiefs offense RIP 2002-2005" thread from a few weeks ago. Thanks. :loser:

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 11:40 AM
C'mon, this defense is NOT as bad as it was then. As tk13 was saying, teams can't just line up and kill us with vanilla-style offense.

I wish I shared your optimism. A terrible Cowboy offense did essentially just that in the 2nd half of the game.

jspchief
12-13-2005, 11:41 AM
C'mon, this defense is NOT as bad as it was then. As tk13 was saying, teams can't just line up and kill us with vanilla-style offense.Our pass defense is as bad. The passes may go to a different part of the field now, but teams still pass the ball at will on us.

As long as this team needs the offense to fire on all cylinders, just to have a chance at winning these shootouts, we are going to be on shaky ground.

Sure, we can go out and beat anyone with this offense. The problem is, we are still capable of losing to anyone with this defense. Even when the offense does something incredible like amass 500+ yards.

This is not a great team. It's a good team that can do great things, but can also fall on it's face.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Our pass defense is as bad. The passes may go to a different part of the field now, but teams still pass the ball at will on us.

Did you watch the Patriots game?

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Our pass defense is as bad. The passes may go to a different part of the field now, but teams still pass the ball at will on us.

As long as this team needs the offense to fire on all cylinders, just to have a chance at winning these shootouts, we are going to be on shaky ground.

Sure, we can go out and beat anyone with this offense. The problem is, we are still capable of losing to anyone with this defense. Even when the offense does something incredible like amass 500+ yards.

This is not a great team. It's a good team that can do great things, but can also fall on it's face.

Yep. Exactly. If the pass protection stays this good, we have the chance of beating anyone. Not a great chance, but a chance.

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Did you watch the Patriots game?

The Pats had a beat up offensive line and no running back. Greg Robinson's Ds did that to teams with beat up lines, too.

morphius
12-13-2005, 11:47 AM
It should.

The fact that our offense played so well on the road against a really good defense means we can win just about anywhere if the defense yanks it's head out of it's ass.
I would honestly feel better if I could remember a time under DV that we won those must win games.

Luckily it does make the games a lot more entertaining to watch.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 11:48 AM
The Pats had a beat up offensive line and no running back. Greg Robinson's Ds did that to teams with beat up lines, too.

How did the Patriots beat other defenses to become the NFL's No. 2 passing offense? :shrug:

jspchief
12-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Did you watch the Patriots game?So what? There were games when our D showed up over the last three years too. That doesn't mean they are a good defense.

Regardless of what they were capable of in one particular game, what is clear is they are not capable of doing it on a consistent basis.

Dallas averaged over 7 yards per pass attempt.

KCTitus
12-13-2005, 11:53 AM
#1 in what category, specifically? I find it hard to believe that KC's offense is better than Indy.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 11:54 AM
#1 in what category, specifically? I find it hard to believe that KC's offense is better than Indy.

Total yards.

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 11:55 AM
How did the Patriots beat other defenses to become the NFL's No. 2 passing offense? :shrug:

Well, we have the #1 offense in the league, and yet we weren't anything special without Roaf. We played the Pats when they were just decimated with injuries.

Additionally, even dating back to GR, our D has been much better at home because we can get a lead, and then the crowd noise disrupts attempts to audiblize to pick up blitzers.

The Giants don't have a great D, and they completely shut down the Cowboys the week before. And I have a feeling the Cowboys will not put up 450 yards this week against whoever they play.

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 11:56 AM

Indy probably does have a better offense. Their D holds leads, so they can go into clock-killing mode, whereas we have to score every possession.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 11:57 AM
I still don't think it's fair to compare this D to the 2003 D.

These Chiefs would make the Colts punt.

If that would be enough to win is something else.

KCTitus
12-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Oh...total yards. yay.

Im assuming Indy is #1 in points scored.

siberian khatru
12-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Oh...total yards. yay.

Im assuming Indy is #1 in points scored.

Points are overrated.

Third-down percentage in the 4th quarter is the key stat to watch.

Brock
12-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Total yards.

In other words, utterly meaningless.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 12:13 PM

Well no, not really. We're ranked 6th in scoring offense.

I doubt we'd be ranked 6th in scoring if we were ranked 11th or 12th in total yards.

KCTitus
12-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Points are overrated.

Third-down percentage in the 4th quarter is the key stat to watch.

Silly...we all know it's turnover ratio!

shaneo69
12-13-2005, 12:16 PM

To everyone except DV.

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I still don't think it's fair to compare this D to the 2003 D.

These Chiefs would make the Colts punt.

If that would be enough to win is something else.

The 2002 Chiefs were the low point. The 2003 squad was slightly improved, and during much of the year, we thought it was greatly improved. The D at home had been playing well. It fell apart at the end of the year, although I was still very confident in our playoff chances, because I thought the crowd noise would affect Manning. We know what happened.

To me, this year is a repeat of 2003, except we haven't gotten the lucky breaks like we did that year. As of right now, I think our D improvement is an illusion (if you call moving from 31 to 27 an improvement), just like it was during the 2003 year.

Our O is still good enough to beat anybody, so the season is not lost yet.

siberian khatru
12-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Silly...we all know it's turnover ratio!

Here's another important one: Our FB is averaging 4.0 yards per carry.

KCTitus
12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Here's another important one: Our FB is averaging 4.0 yards per carry.

We've become so jaded to good FB play anymore...

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
To me, this year is a repeat of 2003

See I disagree. The 2003 D lived mainly off of turnovers (luck). They also had a shitty run defense all throughout the year.

We're allowing about the same amount of points per game as the 2003 D (22.2 vs 20.8), but our run D is decent and so is our third-down percentage allowed.

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 12:47 PM
See I disagree. The 2003 D lived mainly off of turnovers (luck). They also had a shitty run defense all throughout the year.

We're allowing about the same amount of points per game as the 2003 D (22.2 vs 20.8), but our run D is decent and so is our third-down percentage allowed.

I would say third down conversion percentage is luck, and some guys (I think the guys at Football Prospectus. Not sure.) have looked at it and found there is a big luck component to 3rd conversions.

Let me ask you this: Go back to early 2004 after GR was fired or resigned or whatever and Gunther was hired and ask yourself this question: What would your reaction be if someone were to tell you that Gunther would have the 31st ranked D his first year, and the 27th ranked D his second....in other words, a decline from 2003.

I want to believe that Gunther is turning things around, I really do...but by objective measures, his return has been an abysmal failure and he has 3+ games against good teams to show me he is not one of the worst, if not the worst, DC in all of the NFL. I really hope he shows me something, but unfortunately, I think we are going to have to win these games solely behind Roaf, Green, and Johnson and the rest of the O.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
I would say third down conversion percentage is luck, and some guys (I think the guys at Football Prospectus. Not sure.) have looked at it and found there is a big luck component to 3rd conversions.

I disagree. When you're consistently stopping the opponent on third down, luck has little to do with it. Good defenses get off the field on third down, and before the Cowboys game, we had been doing that.

Let me ask you this: Go back to early 2004 after GR was fired or resigned or whatever and Gunther was hired and ask yourself this question: What would your reaction be if someone were to tell you that Gunther would have the 31st ranked D his first year, and the 27th ranked D his second....in other words, a decline from 2003.

I'm officially on the "fire Gunther" bandwagon now. I've seen the light.

But I do think we're a better defense than 2003. Mostly because of the players. And while the scheme may be retarded (evidently), at least it does a good job against the run.

I guess the best way to put it is....Greg Robinson's scheme was designed by a six-year old...and Gunther's was designed by a 12-year old.

Calcountry
12-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Hard to believe with the way this season has gone, but we do have the goods to win the SB. Yes, thats what I said. SUPERBOWL! We got to just make it to the playoffs first and then it's a new season. We're also #6 in rushing defense and have not allowed a 100 yard back in 20 games. We are playing better right now than at any point in the season even though we just lost to Dallas. THERE IS HOPE AND I"M PUMPED!!!!

GOOOOO CHIEEEFS!!!!!!!Do you really think that Manning won't be able to audible our blitz packages?

Our only hope, is that he is off his game, and their receivers get drop itus.

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 01:07 PM
I guess the best way to put it is....Greg Robinson's scheme was designed by a six-year old...and Gunther's was designed by a 12-year old.

I don't know what either one of their schemes are. Supposedly, Gunther has an attacking scheme, which I would prefer, especially given our O, but I didn't see that against the Cowboys. Looked like a lot of soft zone to me.

Robinson supposedly ran a read-and-react soft zone, but it looked really aggressive at times. I haven't look at sacks, but is Gun getting a lot more sacks than GR did?

I don't want either one of them, but if forced to choose, I'd pick GR, because I don't think he could have possibly done any worse with this upgraded talent than Gun has. You say Gun had past success? Well, so did GR. They both were in over heads as the two past DC here. I think Gun is probably a good LB coach, and GR is probably a good DL coach, but they just don't have what it takes to be effective coordinators any more.

Deberg_1990
12-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Hard to believe with the way this season has gone, but we do have the goods to win the SB.

We do?? Have you watched any of our road games this year?? If we had home field advantage, i might be inclined to believe more.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Do you really think that Manning won't be able to audible our blitz packages?

Our only hope, is that he is off his game, and their receivers get drop itus.

I do believe we were the last team to beat the Colts and I do believe if we played them today that we would take it to the wire with them + our defense is much better than last years.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-13-2005, 02:08 PM
We do?? Have you watched any of our road games this year?? If we had home field advantage, i might be inclined to believe more.

I guess I have a little more confidence in our team than you. You should go over to the Mange and root for the Donkeys.

jspchief
12-13-2005, 02:12 PM
I guess I have a little more confidence in our team than you. You should go over to the Mange and root for the Donkeys.Agreed. If you can't be a dumbass blind homer, we don't want you! :rolleyes:

dj56dt58
12-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Our defense has been looking worse the past few weeks but if it wern't for our defense, we wouldn't even be thinking playoffs. Remember earlier in the season when the offense wasn't doing so good at it was the defense that won games? That Proves that they can play good..they just have to start doing it again.

Skip Towne
12-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Pretty much, yeah. Jerome Bettis scored 3 TD's while gaining 5 yards last year.

alanm
12-13-2005, 02:32 PM
I do believe we were the last team to beat the Colts and I do believe if we played them today that we would take it to the wire with them + our defense is much better than last years.
Not quite true. Indy did go to the playoffs last year and N.E. beat them. I don't think we could beat them in Indy though if we made it that far.

Skip Towne
12-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Not quite true. Indy did go to the playoffs last year and N.E. beat them. I don't think we could beat them in Indy though if we made it that far.
I'm not sure we could beat them anywhere.

ARROW2
12-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I post more now, just so I can see it more.

Yeah, since I'm married now, it makes we want to go attack wifey....Veddy veddy nice...........

Sybil
12-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Too bad our Defense hasn't improved nearly enough.

FringeNC
12-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Our defense has been looking worse the past few weeks but if it wern't for our defense, we wouldn't even be thinking playoffs. Remember earlier in the season when the offense wasn't doing so good at it was the defense that won games? That Proves that they can play good..they just have to start doing it again.

What games exactly did the D win? Every game we have won, we have scored at least 23 points.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 04:41 PM
What games exactly did the D win? Every game we have won, we have scored at least 23 points.

@ Oakland

Washington

New England

And they had huge roles in beating Oakland and Denver in K.C.

sedated
12-13-2005, 04:45 PM
These stats are misleading.

Sure we are gaining yards, but waste opportunities to score points.

I'd rather be #1 in the overall record category

stevieray
12-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Hardly any team plays perfect every week.

We've seen the good and bad from this team. We just don't know which team is going to show up, but you can also say that about most teams.

When we're clicking, We have the ability to beat anyone.

Logical
12-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Wow they changed the rules to award a playoff spot to the team with the Number 1 offense. Yippee.

Skip Towne
12-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Wow they changed the rules to award a playoff spot to the team with the Number 1 offense. Yippee.
Yep, from now on the team with the most yards wins. They are going to extend all the fields to 300 yards long so a team doesn't get stopped by those pesky goal lines. Plus they can fit in a whole lot more seats.

stevieray
12-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Yep, from now on the team with the most yards wins. They are going to extend all the fields to 300 yards long so a team doesn't get stopped by those pesky goal lines. Plus they can fit in a whole lot more seats.

Tell me another offense that could lose the same starters and play our schedule and still be able to produce like we have.

Indulge me.

Logical
12-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Tell me another offense that could lose the same starters and play our schedule and still be able to produce like we have.

Indulge me.It is not producing enough points or wins so it really does not matter.

Joe Seahawk
12-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Chiefs are now #1 offense in NFL!!!

Only because we've played our backups for 4 of our last 8 quarters. :p

Kidding, You guys put up waaayy more yards against the Cowboys than we did. However, we held them to 10 points.

Seahawks have the #2 scoring offense, and the #4 scoring defense..

(Thanks to Philly and Frisco)

It'll be interesting how we do against the Colts in a couple weeks. Hopefully they will play their starters.

headsnap
12-13-2005, 08:40 PM
When we're clicking, We have the ability to beat anyone.

yes, even the Colts!! :clap:

stevieray
12-13-2005, 10:07 PM
It is not producing enough points or wins so it really does not matter.

It would if it was another team you consider legitimate.

I think only a handful of teams could achieve 8-5 with our circumstances.

chagrin
12-14-2005, 02:45 PM
I realize that Parker has been hurt this year but, overall, I would say he has a ways to go before I would call him a dependable starter.

Just for reference:

Kennison 56 recs for 911 yards, 5 TDs
Gonzalez 64 recs for 737 yards, 2 TDs

I seem to remember some dipshit stating that Tony G wasn't as good or productive as several TE's, Chris Cooley even.
STFU

ROYC75
12-14-2005, 03:13 PM
I could give a flip about # 1 offense.......... I want to see us as # 1 in wins and be the last team to win a game in a season.

Chris Meck
12-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Not to make excuses...

but I'll offer some excuses.

We've had a brutal schedule. We play in the toughest division in football from top to bottom, with 3 of 4 teams in the play-off hunt. We had a string of crippling injuries coupled with some untimely suspensions. We've let some games we had in the bag get away.

And we're 8-5. That's the reality. What would that record be if we played Seattle's schedule? I bet 10-3 at least.

There's no reason to be down on this team, there really isn't. It's frustrating that they are inconsistent, but if you watch other games it's not unusual in the NFL these days, with so much player movement due to FA, etc.

Are The Chiefs world-beaters? No. Neither is anyone else but The Colts at the moment.

All this talk of fire all the coaches and gut the whole team is just silly. We're all just tired of being CLOSE to an elite team but not quite getting there. It could, however, be a LOT worse than it is. And they may just get it together yet this season. We won 3 straight and dropped a tough one to a play-off contender on the road. There's no need to panic, or think anything other than we had opportunities to win the game and didn't get it done. Frustrating, yes. Apocalyptic? NO.

Chris

philfree
12-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Not to make excuses...

but I'll offer some excuses.

We've had a brutal schedule. We play in the toughest division in football from top to bottom, with 3 of 4 teams in the play-off hunt. We had a string of crippling injuries coupled with some untimely suspensions. We've let some games we had in the bag get away.

And we're 8-5. That's the reality. What would that record be if we played Seattle's schedule? I bet 10-3 at least.

There's no reason to be down on this team, there really isn't. It's frustrating that they are inconsistent, but if you watch other games it's not unusual in the NFL these days, with so much player movement due to FA, etc.

Are The Chiefs world-beaters? No. Neither is anyone else but The Colts at the moment.

All this talk of fire all the coaches and gut the whole team is just silly. We're all just tired of being CLOSE to an elite team but not quite getting there. It could, however, be a LOT worse than it is. And they may just get it together yet this season. We won 3 straight and dropped a tough one to a play-off contender on the road. There's no need to panic, or think anything other than we had opportunities to win the game and didn't get it done. Frustrating, yes. Apocalyptic? NO.

Chris

Very nice post. It amazes me that some fans want to get rid of a SuperBowl HC who builds record breaking offensescause he hasn't gotten them their Lombardi. Things in the NFL or likfe in general never go as planned but our O hasn't fallen off like alot of people had thought early in the season. Trent Green isn't gonna lose it between the end of this year and the start of next year and Johnson isn't either. To scrap what we have for a HC who's never done squat in the NFL is......not smart. IMO we can now say in earnest that we are just a player or two away on D. One dominate DT could very well make our D what we want it to be. Maybe if DV stays Roaf (who I think will play next year anyway) and Shields both play in 2006 for one last shot at the glory. I'm not giving up this year till we are 100% out of it because this is a good team. I'm just looking at what i'd like to see in 2006.

PhilFree:arrow: