PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Critical Success for Woody Allen...

Jenson71
12-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Things seem to be turning around for Woody Allen, as his last two films have been well received by critics and audiences alike. Melinda and Melinda, which came out this summer, and Match Point, which is coming out in theaters everywhere in January of 2006.

However, critics who vote for The Golden Globes have seen it and apparently like it enough to nominate it for 3 awards (and an award for Scarlett Johansson as Best Supporting Actor). The awards it's up for are Best Director (Woody Allen), Best Screenplay (Woody Allen), and Best Picture.

The last time Woody notched a Golden Globe nomination: 1987, for Best Director and Best Screenplay (Hannah and Her Sisters, which won the Globe for Best Picture).

Obviously, I'm more than excited to see this film. I absolutely loved Melinda and Melinda.

Here is the full list of nominations:

Best Picture - Drama
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
THE CONSTANT GARDENER
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
MATCH POINT

Best Picture - Musical or Comedy
THE SQUID AND THE WHALE
THE PRODUCERS
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
WALK THE LINE
MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS

Actor in a Leading Role - Drama
Philip Seymour Hoffman, CAPOTE
Heath Ledger, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Russell Crowe, CINDERELLA MAN
Terrence Howard, HUSTLE AND FLOW
David Strathairn, GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.

Actor in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy
Johnny Depp, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
Nathan Lane, THE PRODUCERS
Pierce Brosnan, THE MATADOR
Cillian Murphy, BREAKFAST ON PLUTO
Joaquin Phoenix, WALK THE LINE

Actress in a Leading Role - Drama
Gwyneth Paltrow, PROOF
Maria Bello, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
Felicity Huffman, TRANSAMERICA
Charlize Theron, NORTH COUNTRY
Zhang Ziyi, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Actress in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy
Reese Witherspoon, WALK THE LINE
Keira Knightley, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
Laura Linney, THE SQUID AND THE WHALE
Judi Dench, MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS
Sarah Jessica Parker, THE FAMILY STONE

Best Director
Steven Spielberg, MUNICH
Ang Lee, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Fernando Meirelles, THE CONSTANT GARDENER
George Clooney, GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
Peter Jackson, KING KONG
Woody Allen, MATCH POINT

Actor in a Supporting Role
Paul Giamatti, CINDERELLA MAN
George Clooney, SYRIANA
Will Ferrell, THE PRODUCERS
Matt Dillon, CRASH
Bob Hoskins, MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS

Actress in a Supporting Role
Rachel Weisz, THE CONSTANT GARDENER
Shirley MacLaine, IN HER SHOES
Frances McDormand, NORTH COUNTRY
Michelle Williams, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Scarlett Johansson, MATCH POINT

Best Screenplay
Woody Allen, MATCH POINT
George Clooney & Grant Heslov, GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK
Paul Haggis & Bobby MOresco, CRASH
Tony Kushner & Eric Roth, MUNICH
Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Best Original Score
Alexandre Desplat, SYRIANA
James Newton Howard, KING KONG
Gustavo Santaolalla, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Harry Gregson-Williams, THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE
John Williams, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Best Original Song
“A Love That Will Never Grow Old” - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, Music by: Gustavo Santaolalla, Lyrics by: Bernie Taupin
“Christmas In Love” — CHRISTMAS IN LOVE, Music by: Tony Renis, Lyrics by: Marva Jan Marrow
“There’s Nothing Like A Show On Broadway” — THE PRODUCERS, Music & Lyrics by: Mel Brooks
“Travelin’ Thru” — TRANSAMERICA, Music & Lyrics by: Dolly Parton
“Wunderkind” — THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE, Music & Lyrics by: Alanis Morissette

Best Foreign Film
KUNG FU HUSTLE
MASTER OF THE CRIMSON ARMOR aka THE PROMISE
MERRY CHRISTMAS (JOYEUX NOEL)
PARADISE NOW
TSOTSI

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm glad History of Violence got nominated.

Where the **** is the special effects award? = ROTS

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 06:55 PM
And I'm ECSTATIC that that trash pile Syriana didn't get nominated for best picture.

Mr. Laz
12-13-2005, 06:56 PM
don't care for woody allen at all

his movies are pretty much just irritating babble.

think seinfeld without the comedy

Deberg_1990
12-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Woody Allen = The most overrated filmaker of all time. I cant stand the guy personally. He cant act and he acts the same in every film. He basically plays himself.

Jenson71
12-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Woody Allen = The most overrated filmaker of all time. I cant stand the guy personally. He cant act and he acts the same in every film. He basically plays himself.

I dunno, he's a bit more tame in the off film interviews that I've seen of him. Besides, what's that have to do with his making of films?

Deberg_1990
12-13-2005, 07:13 PM
I dunno, he's a bit more tame in the off film interviews that I've seen of him. Besides, what's that have to do with his making of films?

I guess i just dont "get" him?? I mean, hes talented obviously, i just dont care for his films. I just think he gets waay too much love because of the whole East Coast bias, film snob thing.

tyton75
12-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Wait.. isnt' this the guy who adopted a girl.. then proceeded to bang her.. then married her???

Sick *****er who should have been sitting next to Tookie if you ask me

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Wait.. isnt' this the guy who adopted a girl.. then proceeded to bang her.. then married her???

Some hero, Jenson.

Eleazar
12-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Any body that awarded Titanic a best picture is worthless

Jenson71
12-13-2005, 07:21 PM

You've been misinformed. Soon-Yi was not his adopted daughter. She's Mia Farrow's. And she was 27 when she married Woody Allen. What's wrong with marrying your friends 27 year old daughter?

Jenson71
12-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I guess i just dont "get" him?? I mean, hes talented obviously, i just dont care for his films. I just think he gets waay too much love because of the whole East Coast bias, film snob thing.

East Coast bias? I live in Iowa. He makes films largely about Manhattan, but that doesn't mean the New York Times praises everything he does. And what's a film snob? Anyone who likes what you think is boring?

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 07:29 PM
You've been misinformed. Soon-Yi was not his adopted daughter. She's Mia Farrow's. And she was 27 when she married Woody Allen. What's wrong with marrying your friends 27 year old daughter?

Woody's affair began with Soon-Yi when she was FOURTEEN.

He is THIRTY-FIVE YEARS OLDER THAN SHE IS.

NewChief
12-13-2005, 08:10 PM
One of my good friends helped organize a Woody Allen film series at the UofA. They're also taking submissions for scholarly articles for a journal and are hoping to host a conference.
http://www.uark.edu/ua/woody/

Delano
12-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Did he convince Scarlett to do a nude scene? That would be really great.

Road Hog
12-13-2005, 08:18 PM
I got my 'WOODY'

Pants
12-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Scralett = actress, lol.

But, yeah, good for Woody.

Brock
12-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Get your facts straight. He's a pedophile.

Miles
12-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Match Point sounds promising. Definitly seems like it might be a little different from his previous films.

Halfcan
12-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Looks like a very weak list of contenders. Woody Allen is a child molester.

Frazod
12-13-2005, 10:29 PM
I've never seen a Woody Allen movie in my life. I thought he was an annoying little freak BEFORE I found out about him banging his teenage stepdaughter. F#ck him and his movies. He's never got a dime of my money and never will.

Iowanian
12-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Woody Allen Fugs his own daughter.

He should internally combust.

Jenson71
12-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Soon-Yi is not his daughter, and not even his stepdaughter. What part of this do people not understand?

Jenson71
12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Get your facts straight. He's a pedophile.

Show me where I posted something wrong and I'll give you all the credit you think you deserve.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Soon-Yi is not his daughter, and not even his stepdaughter. What part of this do people not understand?

She was 14 when they started their affair.

That's disgusting.

Miles
12-13-2005, 11:15 PM

That's disgusting.

Everything I have ever heard was she was in her early 20's.

Jenson71
12-13-2005, 11:20 PM

That's disgusting.

Can I get a link to that...

Jenson71
12-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Everything I have ever heard was she was in her early 20's.

Same here. After a few biographies, too. For the record, I admire Woody Allen's films. The man is not my hero. He is far too pessimistic for me to idolize him.

Halfcan
12-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Why are you posting Woody Allen on a Chiefs site-its all too strange.

I hear he is dating his granddaughter now-well no, technically she is five, but seems a lot older-and its not really his granddaughter-more like an almost stepdaughters kid that fell instantly in love with him.

This time its for real.

Halfcan
12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Same here. After a few biographies, too. For the record, I admire Woody Allen's films. The man is not my hero. He is far too pessimistic for me to idolize him.

Then why is he on your avatar? More technicalities I'm sure. You love a Woody-just admit it.

Jenson71
12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Why are you posting Woody Allen on a Chiefs site-its all too strange.

I hear he is dating his granddaughter now-well no, technically she is five, but seems a lot older-and its not really his granddaughter-more like an almost stepdaughters kid that fell instantly in love with him.

This time its for real.

I've been posting about Bob Dylan, films, The Godfather, and Woody Allen for a couple of years before you even registered on chiefsplanet.

Halfcan
12-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Considerably less queer than posting a Rush thread on a Chiefs site.

Pretty funny-I figured you would be passed out by now-it is after midnight.