PDA

View Full Version : Kietzman steamed after Chiefs leave WHB out in cold!

Dunit35
12-14-2005, 02:09 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13401460.htm

Kietzman steamed after Chiefs leave WHB out in coldtop for wedAre the Chiefs in the business now of “selling” the news?
That’s the accusation of late from the folks over at WHB (810 AM) after the Chiefs’ recent decision to sell the exclusive, live radio broadcast rights to Dick Vermeil’s weekly news conference at Arrowhead Stadium, usually held on Tuesdays.
KCSP (610 AM) now has the rights to broadcast the news conference live in its entirety.
“The day we have to buy a news conference,” said WHB’s Kevin Kietzman, “is the day I get out of the business.”
The Chiefs, though, say it is perfectly within their rights to sell the rights.
“It’s been a part of our radio contract with KCFX since 1989,” said Chiefs public relations director Bob Moore. “KCFX has always had the right to broadcast that press conference live if it so desired. The truth is they’ve rarely wanted to do it because they’d rather play their rock and roll format.
“So basically we’ve sold the rights for the live broadcast, but KCFX still has the right of first refusal, so to speak. Anytime KCFX wants to do it live, they can, and KCSP will have to step back.”
WHB had been running Vermeil’s news conference live in its entirety until it received a letter from the Chiefs in late November instructing them to cease.
“We’ve been running them since 1997,” Kietzman said.
“It’s obvious to us that the only reason we were told to stop and the only reason the Chiefs sold the thing to another station is that they didn’t like our line of questioning at these press conferences.”
Moore denied that accusation and said the matter was strictly a radio-rights issue.
“This isn’t something we did to get back at any other station,” Moore said. “Any station in town can show up at this press conference and use any snippets (up to two minutes) they want. They just can’t do it live. And we’re not prohibiting stations from attending the deal.”
The rights issue does not apply to newspapers or television. In fact, Metro Sports televises the news conference live each week without a fee.
“I don’t think you could honestly sell the television rights,” Moore said. “Who would want to interrupt their programming for that?
“This isn’t all that different from the rights that we or any other NFL team reserves for game days. On those days, you can’t broadcast live from the stadium, either, unless you’re affiliated with the network that’s carrying the game.”
Brian McCarthy, director of corporate communications for the NFL, said a handful of teams, including the Steelers, Eagles, Packers and Bears, have or have had similar arrangements with their weekly coach’s news conference.
“As long as they don’t inhibit other media from attending,” McCarthy said, “we don’t have an issue with it.”
Kietzman said he still isn’t convinced that selling the rights to the news conference can be justified.
“We understand that legally they are right,” he said. “But it’s still wrong.”
An interesting sidebar to the controversy is that WHB has the rights to the Royals radio broadcasts, and WHB negotiated a deal with the Royals allowing the station to open every postgame news conference exclusively with questions from WHB reporter Nate Bukaty.
Can that be construed as “selling” the news as well?
“The difference is that if any other station in town wants to use those questions from Nate and the manager’s answers, they can,” Kietzman said. “We encourage it. I think that’s the way it should be.”
You may have heard about a doctored photo of Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham floating around the Internet.
The image is of Gunther on the sideline firing off an obscene gesture toward the field.
Never happened. In fact, the doctoring is a little too easy to spot.
Moore said he hadn’t heard about the photo.

Abba-Dabba
12-14-2005, 02:16 AM
You may have heard about a doctored photo of Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham floating around the Internet.
The image is of Gunther on the sideline firing off an obscene gesture toward the field.
Never happened. In fact, the doctoring is a little too easy to spot.
Moore said he hadn’t heard about the photo.

:shrug:

Dunit35
12-14-2005, 02:18 AM
:shrug:

Id be shocked if that was fake. But then again I wonder.

The Bad Guy
12-14-2005, 02:22 AM
The photo isn't fake.

I'm sick of the freaking Chiefs PR spin with everything.

Are they trying to call the millions of viewers who SAW it live on TV liars?

**** that mutant looking m'fer Bob Moore.

chefsos
12-14-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm pretty sure a guy who posts here, ragedogg69, is the one who snapped that pic. Hell, anyone with a copy of that broadcast could easily go back and find it.

We need Mike Shanahan to convene a special press conference complete with funky camera angles in an attempt to avoid Gunther's fine.

Mecca
12-14-2005, 02:32 AM
They're just trying to save Gun a fine.

tk13
12-14-2005, 02:37 AM
Actually this is Flanagan saying it's doctored, Bob Moore didn't say anything....

Dartgod
12-14-2005, 07:44 AM
“The day we have to buy a news conference,” said WHB’s Kevin Kietzman, “is the day I get out of the business.”

Woo Hoo!!

:clap:PBJPBJPBJ:bravo:

KCTitus
12-14-2005, 07:51 AM
I couldnt hardly read this because of it's lazarus like incoherent formatting, but I get the point. KK's all juiced because they cant air it live.

Heh...maybe he and Harry need to have a spurned prom date love fest on the radio instead.

Dartgod
12-14-2005, 07:52 AM
So I take it KK will announce his retirement right after he exposes the huge drug ring in the NFL?

Eleazar
12-14-2005, 07:57 AM
So WHB has been broadcasting these more or less illegally since 1997? Now the Chiefs send them a C&D and they're all sandy about it?

Mecca
12-14-2005, 07:59 AM
This article has shaken the very foundation of this board.

htismaqe
12-14-2005, 08:25 AM
So WHB has been broadcasting these more or less illegally since 1997? Now the Chiefs send them a C&D and they're all sandy about it?

Yep.

Put me in Dartgod's camp.

jAZ
12-14-2005, 09:02 AM
An interesting sidebar to the controversy is that WHB has the rights to the Royals radio broadcasts, and WHB negotiated a deal with the Royals allowing the station to open every postgame news conference exclusively with questions from WHB reporter Nate Bukaty.

What a fraud.

Mike in SW-MO
12-14-2005, 09:36 AM

If you get right down to it, WHB was not inviolation of anything. The Chiefs have allowed them to broadcast live from the press conferences to which the Chiefs had sold the exclusive rights to KCFX. That actually puts the Chiefs in violation of their contract. Not WHB.

If WHB was aware of the contract, it's still the Chiefs job to enforce it, not WHB's. Now WHB must agree to abide by the rules of the press conference or they can be excluded.

But it's still the Chief's contract, not WHB's.

NewChief
12-14-2005, 10:02 AM
I can't believe that Flanagan is trying to deny the bird. I saw the freaking thing on TV during the broadcast. It was plain as day. It was also plain as day that Gunther noticed he'd been busted and quickly tried to act like he hadn't done anything wrong. Good lord. What a fraud of journalism.

RINGLEADER
12-14-2005, 10:17 AM
SHOCKING!

htismaqe
12-14-2005, 10:28 AM
If you get right down to it, WHB was not inviolation of anything. The Chiefs have allowed them to broadcast live from the press conferences to which the Chiefs had sold the exclusive rights to KCFX. That actually puts the Chiefs in violation of their contract. Not WHB.

If WHB was aware of the contract, it's still the Chiefs job to enforce it, not WHB's. Now WHB must agree to abide by the rules of the press conference or they can be excluded.

You couldn't be more wrong.

The contract and associated rights belong to KCFX. KCFX is the responsible party here, they're the ones that chose to allow WHB to broadcast the press conference.

It's 810's bed, they made it. Now they have to sleep in it, and of course they're gonna whine. Maybe the Chiefs wouldn't have sold the rights to 610 (who is obviously going to do what KCFX did not - bar the competition from broadcasting the PC) if 810 wasn't a bunch of stupid douchebags.

Inspector
12-14-2005, 10:29 AM
That was a photoshopped live TV shot.

jspchief
12-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Serves WHB right for their 24 hour, 7 day a week negative campaign against the Chiefs. They've made a living off of kicking the Chiefs in the nuts, and now act offended when the Chiefs finally hit back? **** them.

Eleazar
12-14-2005, 10:43 AM

Uhh... no. WHB was never legally allowed to broadcast it. The rights belonged to KCFX. The Chiefs just didn't do anything about it until now.

Serves 810 right for their 24/7/365 negative campaign against the Chiefs like jspchief said.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-14-2005, 10:51 AM
I hope they are not cowards like Larry Johnson & go out there and try & block this play

jidar
12-14-2005, 11:05 AM
I actually didn't see the bird, but now that it's in question someone ought to get a live clip.

jspchief
12-14-2005, 11:07 AM
I can't post a clip, but I can check my Tivo.

Any idea when it happened in the game?

htismaqe
12-14-2005, 11:08 AM
The picture circulating on the net may or may not be photoshopped.

But he DID flip off the refs, saw the whole thing live...

NewChief
12-14-2005, 11:10 AM

Immediately after the holding call on Wesley/DJ toward the end of the game. He was flipping the refs off for that call.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-14-2005, 11:11 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131029

http://members.cox.net/ragedogg69/IMG_0096s.jpg

Pitt Gorilla
12-14-2005, 11:13 AM
This plants a positive seed; KK may get out of radio. THAT would be a great day.

htismaqe
12-14-2005, 11:13 AM

It happened right when DJ was flagged for holding at the end of the game.

jspchief
12-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Shit. My Tivo may have stopped prior to that. I'll check.

NewChief
12-14-2005, 11:16 AM
I sent off an email to Flanagan castigating him for his shoddy journalism for not going to a primary source and looking for the original footage.

dirk digler
12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Did BRC get this from his TIVO or from somewhere else since he posted the pic.

Taco John
12-14-2005, 11:47 AM
who ever heard of exclusive rights to broadcast a press conference? The KC Chiefs have the worst public relations department in the history of the world.

CoMoChief
12-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I thought when he flipped the bird he realized real quick that the cameras were on him and he looked at it and waived his hands in a crossing motion signaling that the pass was incmoplete.

jspchief
12-14-2005, 11:57 AM
who ever heard of exclusive rights to broadcast a press conference? The KC Chiefs have the worst public relations department in the history of the world.

Brian McCarthy, director of corporate communications for the NFL, said a handful of teams, including the Steelers, Eagles, Packers and Bears, have or have had similar arrangements with their weekly coach’s news conference.

BigRedChief
12-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Did BRC get this from his TIVO or from somewhere else since he posted the pic.

somewhere else. One of the posters on the planet said that they were the ones who orginally posted the pic. Numerous people that TIVO'd the game have said that they saw it. I didn't TIVO the game.

jspchief
12-14-2005, 12:06 PM
My Tivo only caught the first 3 hours of the game, so I missed it.

htismaqe
12-14-2005, 12:16 PM

Exactly what Petro said a week ago when this story broke...

Also, it's important to note that NONE of this is NEW, it's just changed. The exclusive rights now belong to 610 rather than 101.1. KCFX has apparently held the rights for YEARS.

It's just 810's loss that 610 is deciding to exercise the "exclusivity" of the deal.

chefsos
12-14-2005, 12:23 PM
somewhere else. One of the posters on the planet said that they were the ones who orginally posted the pic. Numerous people that TIVO'd the game have said that they saw it. I didn't TIVO the game.
Here's your guy:ragedogg69
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2889338&postcount=40

dirk digler
12-14-2005, 12:40 PM

Thanks

Swanman
12-14-2005, 01:25 PM
I didn't see the bird live but I saw Gunther go off on one of the coaches right after the Cowboys scored at the end of the game. Which coach was he screaming at?

Brock
12-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I didn't see the bird live but I saw Gunther go off on one of the coaches right after the Cowboys scored at the end of the game. Which coach was he screaming at?

He was embarrassing himself by screaming at Pagac. It was just Gunther being Gunther.

Mike in SW-MO
12-14-2005, 02:05 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13401460.htm
KCSP (610 AM) now has the rights to broadcast the news conference live in its entirety. .....
The Chiefs, though, say it is perfectly within their rights to sell the rights.
“It’s been a part of our radio contract with KCFX since 1989,” said Chiefs public relations director Bob Moore. “KCFX has always had the right to broadcast that press conference live if it so desired. The truth is they’ve rarely wanted to do it because they’d rather play their rock and roll format.
“So basically we’ve sold the rights for the live broadcast, but KCFX still has the right of first refusal, so to speak. Anytime KCFX wants to do it live, they can, and KCSP will have to step back.”

There is lots of information that is not in evidence here. But from what I see in this article, we are talking about an agreement between the Chiefs and KCFX where KCFX has the rights. They have chosen not to exercise those rights to broadcast the press conference (PC).

The Chiefs have now resold the rights to that broadcast to 610 and shut out WHB (who HAVE been a--holes towards the Chiefs). I do NOT contend that the Chiefs have done anything wrong in shutting out WHB from doing the live broadcasts. I just don't believe that WHB has done anything "illegal" in doing the broadcast up to now. It has been done with the full knowledge of both signatories of the contract since 1997. Either signatory could have stopped it at any time as the Chiefs did in November.

At this point it is not in evidence if KCFX has been involved in the decision to make WHB stop broadcasting. They obviously have been involved in allowing 610 to broadcast the PC. I'd be intersted in knowing if they are being compensated in 610's agreement with the Chiefs. If not, can they turn around and sell their rights to WHB undercutting 610? I suspect not, but the political in-fighting would make my lol.

Mr. Laz
12-14-2005, 03:45 PM
It's just 810's loss that 610 is deciding to exercise the "exclusivity" of the deal.
and if you don't think that the chiefs discussed the locking out of the other radio WITH 610 before making the switch i have some land to sell ya.

sedated
12-14-2005, 04:20 PM
the article said the photo's "doctoring was a little too easy to spot"

WTF are they talking about? it looks good to me

chefsos
12-14-2005, 04:34 PM
the article said the photo's "doctoring was a little too easy to spot"

WTF are they talking about? it looks good to me

A lot of people are saying they saw it live. I missed it; my follow-through on the hat throw carried my head away from the screen.

dirk digler
12-14-2005, 04:35 PM
and if you don't think that the chiefs discussed the locking out of the other radio WITH 610 before making the switch i have some land to sell ya.

I don't think the Chiefs needed to discuss it with 610. They are rivals and I am sure the second 610 signed the contract 810's fate was sealed.

Mr. Laz
12-14-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't think the Chiefs needed to discuss it with 610. They are rivals and I am sure the second 610 signed the contract 810's fate was sealed.
well i guess Fox had those same right before and didn't chose to restrict it against 810 and they are a rival also.

i guess 810 has the baseball rights and don't chose to enforce it

sounds to me like the enforcement is a little unusual

the chiefs have been very public in their distaste for the radio talk and the internet chat.

I hardly think this deal and the way it restricts access is a coincident.

Bob Dole
12-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Bob Dole had a kietzman that kept flaring up and the solved it with some simple outpatient surgery.