PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft...someone just tried to charge $2900 worth of shoes on my card!

Herzig
12-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Just got a call from Capital One and they told me that someone tried to make the above charge online Dec 8th. They declined it. They cancelled the card, but I'm wondering how the hell they got my #. I don't use my card all that often, I shred everything, and I think my computer is protected...any ideas or suggestions?

Bob Dole
12-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Just got a call from Capital One and they told me that someone tried to make the above charge online Dec 8th. They declined it. They cancelled the card, but I'm wondering how the hell they got my #. I don't use my card all that often, I shred everything, and I think my computer is protected...any ideas or suggestions?

Bob Dole caught a couple of charges a few months ago, but nothing of that magnitude. Bob Dole never did figure out where the hell it came from.

4th and Long
12-14-2005, 07:00 PM
So you're saying didn't really give JennyGump your credit card and she actually stole it from you? I'm shocked I tell you. SHOCKED!

Calcountry
12-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Just got a call from Capital One and they told me that someone tried to make the above charge online Dec 8th. They declined it. They cancelled the card, but I'm wondering how the hell they got my #. I don't use my card all that often, I shred everything, and I think my computer is protected...any ideas or suggestions?Unscrupulous employee, manager, or even owner of a store that you have used your card at.

Someone took a pic of it with their cell phone unbeknown to you.

Those are just two that came right to the top of my mind.

I am sure there are other ways that your card could be compromised.

Don't sweat it, let the merchant that honored that card take the hit, the banks sure as heck won't.

Herzig
12-14-2005, 07:04 PM
So you're saying didn't really give JennyGump your credit card and she actually stole it from you? I'm shocked I tell you. SHOCKED!
:hmmm:

Skip Towne
12-14-2005, 07:06 PM
I think Big Daddy did it. He just showed us his new $400 shoes the other day.

NewChief
12-14-2005, 07:08 PM
My mother-in-law just had someone in Mexico run up $2000 worth of crap on her deceased husband's card. Freaking scumbags. Nothing like a little salt in the wounds, having to sort this shit out when you've just had to deal with a death in the family.

Frazod
12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
These c#cksuckers are ingenious. Hard telling how they did it.

I went through this about three years ago after I used my Visa bank card to purchase concert tickets online. Money started flying out of my bank account two days later. Luckily I'm really anal about checking my account balance and noticed it almost immediately. I got all my money back after a few hours of haggling with various people.

I even found out who the thief was - some scumbag named King in Orlando. I provided the cops with a name, address and phone number. As far as I know, nothing was ever done. There seems to be basically nothing to discourage these people.

Were it up to me, people who use a computer to steal would lose the ability to use the computer - it would involve the chopping off of fingers with an axe.

One thing - I would report this to all the major credit reporting agencies and the post office. The f#cker who stole my card ordered a change of address kit with the card, and it's possible he was attempting to reroute my mail. Think of all the credit card offers you get in the mail - that's really scary.

Saulbadguy
12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Someone took a pic of it with their cell phone unbeknown to you.

That is an old wives tale. Do you realize how hard that would be to do?

Herzig
12-14-2005, 07:12 PM
My mother-in-law just had someone in Mexico run up $2000 worth of crap on her deceased husband's card. Freaking scumbags. Nothing like a little salt in the wounds, having to sort this shit out when you've just had to deal with a death in the family.
:shake:

jaglow

I had a credit card that was brand new, never used and still in envelope get unauthorized charges. They showed up a day after activation, so it could have only been someone with access to the number at the credit card company.

Having previously worked in a service industry that works closely with these credit card companies, I can tell you that anywhere from 5 to 10 people get to see you number before it even gets to you.

ChiefsfaninPA
Sorry, planned on paying you back first chance I got.

Skip Towne
12-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Luckily I'm really anal.
Boy, I'll say.

4th and Long
12-14-2005, 07:16 PM
That is an old wives tale. Do you realize how hard that would be to do?
1. Cell phones that takes pictures are relatively new. Calling it an old wife's tale is quite the stretch.

2. I watched an in depth expose in this subject and I can tell you, it's not a wife's tale. They had professional crooks wired with a cam and showed just how easy is it. You'd be amazed at how much of a hurry many people are in at those walk up ATM machines. They just want their money. Having someone standing behind you with a cell phone is a common occurrence these days. Its quite easy for them to act like they are having a conversation and with a quick press of a button, they can not only capture card number but, they can record a video of you punching in your access code as well.

Saulbadguy
12-14-2005, 07:18 PM
It would have to be a pretty advanced cell phone. Cell phone cameras aren't designed with high quality in mind, and to focus on those small numbers would be nearly impossible unless you were only a few feet away, with good lighting conditions. I've tried it with my phone, which is a 1.2 megapixel camera phone, relatively new. It doesn't work.

4th and Long
12-14-2005, 07:23 PM
It would have to be a pretty advanced cell phone. Cell phone cameras aren't designed with high quality in mind, and to focus on those small numbers would be nearly impossible unless you were only a few feet away, with good lighting conditions. I've tried it with my phone, which is a 1.2 megapixel camera phone, relatively new. It doesn't work.
I believe you would have been best served to properly end your paragraph with, "I doesn't work for me." I've seen the results when watching the afore mentioned expose and obviously, it does work.

Bob Dole
12-14-2005, 07:30 PM
You'd be amazed at how much of a hurry many people are in at those walk up ATM machines. They just want their money. Having someone standing behind you with a cell phone is a common occurrence these days.

Not in Bob Dole's world.

Unless you've got a hankerin' for a beat-down.

Saulbadguy
12-14-2005, 07:31 PM
I believe you would have been best served to properly end your paragraph with, "I doesn't work for me." I've seen the results when watching the afore mentioned expose and obviously, it does work.
I'd like to see what you saw. I wonder if they used special cameras. Check this out.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/phonecam.asp

They make a good point..even with the picture, they would still need the security code on the back of the card.

4th and Long
12-14-2005, 07:33 PM
I'd like to see what you saw. I wonder if they used special cameras. Check this out.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/phonecam.asp

They make a good point..even with the picture, they would still need the security code on the back of the card.
Without reading what behind your link, your missing the obvious.

1. Crook A stand behind you and takes said pictures/video.

2. His accomplice, Crook B, waits around the corner and jacks your ass and takes your card.

3. Crooks run to nearby ATM machine and gather in the spoils before you have time to call in the card.

Saulbadguy
12-14-2005, 07:36 PM

2. His accomplice, Crook B, waits around the corner and jacks your ass and takes your card.

3. Crooks run to nearby ATM machine and gather in the spoils before you have time to call in the card.
Ah..well, in that case, sure. But wouldn't it be easier to jam a gun in the guys back and say "$500, please"?

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
http://www.goldwaterinstitute.org/images/page-spec/viking.gif
What's in your wallet?

4th and Long
12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Not in Bob Dole's world.

Bob Dole is a smart man. I don't make any important transactions of any kind with some yahoo on cell phone behind me either. Of course, mt ATM is drive up and I never use the walk up ATMs so it's not much of an issue for me.

In one of the scenes I was watching, it was in some New York type busy, hustle, bustle environment. Tons of people, oblivious to their surroundings, too busy talk on their phones and such to pay much attention to the actual crime. Amazing.

4th and Long
12-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Ah..well, in that case, sure. But wouldn't it be easier to jam a gun in the guys back and say "$500, please"?
I suppose so but hey, I'm not a crook. Then again, if you can't afford a gun, this is a way to get some quick cash for a shiny new piece. :p

Saulbadguy
12-14-2005, 07:40 PM
I suppose so but hey, I'm not a crook.
Aren't you a doctor?

Sorry, sorry...just kidding. :)

4th and Long
12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Aren't you a doctor?

Sorry, sorry...just kidding. :)
No, I'm not a doctor (bastard ROFL) but if you keep that up, you're going to need one. :p

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
I suppose so but hey, I'm not a crook. Then again, if you can't afford a gun, this is a way to get some quick cash for a shiny new piece. :p
http://ucdragonboat.sa.utoronto.ca/Media/Photos/2004/Hair%20Dying/(Hair%20Dyeing)%20-%20I%20am%20not%20a%20crook!.jpg

4th and Long
12-14-2005, 07:44 PM
http://ucdragonboat.sa.utoronto.ca/Media/Photos/2004/Hair%20Dying/(Hair%20Dyeing)%20-%20I%20am%20not%20a%20crook!.jpg
I had no idea Richard Nixon was oriental.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2005, 07:45 PM
I had no idea Richard Nixon was oriental.

He's a ninja.

4th and Long
12-14-2005, 07:47 PM
He's a ninja.
Not a very good one. He couldn't use the ninja stealth technique to hide the Wategate tapes very well and ninjas can avoid death. Tricky Dick didn't fair so well in that department either.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Not a very good one. He couldn't use the ninja stealth technique to hide the Wategate tapes very well and ninjas can avoid death. Tricky Dick didn't fair so well in that department either.

So you think...

HE WILL RETURN!!

Taco John
12-14-2005, 07:50 PM

Saulknowitall

Pants
12-15-2005, 12:59 AM
1. Cell phones that takes pictures are relatively new. Calling it an old wife's tale is quite the stretch.

2. I watched an in depth expose in this subject and I can tell you, it's not a wife's tale. They had professional crooks wired with a cam and showed just how easy is it. You'd be amazed at how much of a hurry many people are in at those walk up ATM machines. They just want their money. Having someone standing behind you with a cell phone is a common occurrence these days. Its quite easy for them to act like they are having a conversation and with a quick press of a button, they can not only capture card number but, they can record a video of you punching in your access code as well.
Those are debit cards. With credit cards, it's very easy to get the money back in a case like that.

Fish
12-15-2005, 09:26 AM
http://www.lookonline.com/vintage/eyecandy64.jpg

And I was this close to fulfilling my fantasy....... If it weren't for those meddling kids and that dog!

Bugeater
12-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Is Imelda Marcos on the loose again?

Iowanian
12-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Not in Bob Dole's world.

What are you going to do Dole? Strangle them with one of those silver Guitar strings you call eyebrows?

jidar
12-15-2005, 10:14 AM
What are you going to do Dole? Strangle them with one of those silver Guitar strings you call eyebrows?

That or stab him with his pencil.

Mr. Kotter
12-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Those are debit cards. With credit cards, it's very easy to get the money back in a case like that.

Actually, many credit cards allow you cash advances with a pin....through an ATM.

StcChief
12-15-2005, 11:29 AM
I thought Amelda Marcus was in prison or dead.

Bob Dole
12-15-2005, 12:14 PM

Those are just there to distract their attention.

KC Kings
12-15-2005, 12:21 PM

You should read the link. Snopes is a great web site to see whether or not all of the BS emails and urban legends are true or not.

I am still in disbelief that there really are such things as ligers. :hmmm:

sedated
12-15-2005, 12:48 PM
I am still in disbelief that there really are such things as ligers. :hmmm:

i think you misspelled that word, doesn't it start with an "N"?

Skip Towne
12-15-2005, 12:51 PM
NUTHOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC Kings
12-15-2005, 01:07 PM

If I needed any "in depth" info on the one's that start with "n" I would bypass Snopes and go straight to your mom.

Simply Red
12-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Are you on a wireless-network?

Pants
12-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Actually, many credit cards allow you cash advances with a pin....through an ATM.

Yeah, but with CC's you need the numbers on the back of the card to buy anything online.