PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: LJ's gesture may get further review from NFL

tk13
12-15-2005, 02:24 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13409858.htm

L.J.’s gesture may require further review from the NFL
JEFFREY FLANAGAN
Kansas City Star

About that other gesture, the “Diamond Cutter” one that Chiefs running back Larry Johnson flashes after he scores a touchdown: Don’t be shocked if the NFL eventually steps in and starts issuing fines for that, too.

The “Diamond Cutter,” or “Flashing the Roc” as it also is called, has become the symbolic gesture for anyone associated with the clothing line Team Roc, which has an endorsement deal with Johnson.

The gesture itself — holding both thumbs and index fingers together to form a diamond shape — is embroiled in controversy because Team Roc’s founder Jay-Z is being sued for copyright infringement for using the symbol (a wrestler claims he was the first to use the symbol in the 1990s.)

As for the NFL, it already has a business relationship with Nike and Reebok, both of whom happen to be on Team Roc’s list of competitors. Reebok makes the NFL’s uniforms, while both Nike and Reebok have shoe licensing deals with the league.

That might make Johnson’s “Diamond Cutter” gesture a conflict of interest with the league, sort of like wearing an insignia other than Reebok or Nike. As of now, the league is taking no action.
“There is no existing language that would ban it,” said Steve Alic, manager of AFC information for the NFL. “Right now, there’s no rule against it.”

Of course, that doesn’t mean the league — always protective of its business associations — won’t examine the situation further.
“It’s not an obscene gesture, and it’s not taunting the other team,” Alic said. “Right now it would be considered a personal gesture or expression.”

Right now.

Continuing on the subject of gestures, the latest on Fingergate, the obscene gesture flashed by Gunther Cunningham during the Chiefs-Cowboys game on Sunday:

Yep, it’s there. You were right.

It’s an obscene gesture, although it looked like Gunther was simply signaling in his new defensive alignment, The Bird Defense.

We looked at the game tape in our office Wednesday, frame by frame, like we were all examining the Zapruder film (“Back, and to the right … back, and to the right”).

It’s there, in a millisecond, too quick for the eye at normal speed. But it’s there.

League officials knew nothing about the gesture before we talked to them Wednesday, but now don’t be surprised if it comes back later in the week and removes any excess green in Gunther’s wallet.

Thanks go out to the dozens of readers who say they, too, believe they have the gesture on freeze frame, including Channel 4’s Frank Boal (otherwise known as Jim Garrison).

There’s one other housecleaning item to take care of.

It’s about that implication from Kevin Kietzman that the reason the Chiefs sold the radio rights to Dick Vermeil’s weekly news conference to KCSP was because WHB asked the tough questions at these news conferences, which may have upset the Chiefs.

This, of course, implies that everyone else in town is too frightened to ask Vermeil a tough question. That’s hardly the case.

The truth is, if these news conferences wind up sounding soft, it’s sometimes by design.

Good reporters don’t ask delicate or tough questions in front of a room of two dozen other reporters. Why give your best stuff away to every other media outlet in town? Good reporters find a way to talk to their source in private and then ask the hard question.

A few highlights from the roast of Star columnist Jason Whitlock on Tuesday night at the Gem Theater:

■ “Jason is the only guy I knew who would take his lunch money to school in an armored car.”

■ “Jason was very active in his high school homecoming. He was voted best float.”

■ “Jason was born on July 4th, 5th and 6th.”

Chiefs Pantalones
12-15-2005, 02:26 AM
That's absurd. Let him do it.

tk13
12-15-2005, 02:32 AM
I don't know what the Star did, but they changed the formatting of their website so that when you paste an article, it comes out in one big blob of a paragraph and you have to insert all the paragraph breaks yourself. Way more of a hassle than I anticipated, which is probably what they were hoping for. Yuck.

chefsos
12-15-2005, 02:35 AM
League officials knew nothing about the gesture before we talked to them Wednesday, but now don’t be surprised if it comes back later in the week and removes any excess green in Gunther’s wallet.

ROFL Did the Star squeal, narc, tattle, roll over, drop a dime, on Gunther?

Chan93lx50
12-15-2005, 06:02 AM
No suprise here, it was only a matter of time!

I am sure the NFL is nervous that football jerseys will start looking like nascar's

MichaelH
12-15-2005, 06:31 AM
My wife thought he was giving a "eating at the Y" sign. ROFL

ChiefsfaninPA
12-15-2005, 07:21 AM
What would an LJ touchdown be without the <>. It wouldn't be worth watching.

NewChief
12-15-2005, 07:32 AM
It’s there, in a millisecond, too quick for the eye at normal speed. But it’s there.

Damn. I must have Superman eyes or something because I saw it very clearly while watching it during a Christmas party in a crowded room after drinking about 5 whiskeys, the 5th of which was thrown at high velocity at the television set when I saw the yellow flag come out (probably not on the list of polite things to do when a guest in someone's house).

cdcox
12-15-2005, 07:34 AM
The most interesting thing about this article is that Gunther's bird was flying high on Chief's Planet Sunday evening. Traditional media are just now getting around to confirming it and the league was completely clueless. This place rocks.

jspchief
12-15-2005, 07:47 AM
The most interesting thing about this article is that Gunther's bird was flying high on Chief's Planet Sunday evening. Traditional media are just now getting around to confirming it and the league was completely clueless. This place rocks.And a few weeks ago I called it that the league would eventually ban LJ's symbol.

It's actually pretty sad that all of us that only follow the Chiefs as a hobby are more informed than the people that get paid to follow the Chiefs.

If these guys would just start reading the Planet, they'd have better info faster.

cdcox
12-15-2005, 07:54 AM
And a few weeks ago I called it that the league would eventually ban LJ's symbol.

It's actually pretty sad that all of us that only follow the Chiefs as a hobby are more informed than the people that get paid to follow the Chiefs.

If these guys would just start reading the Planet, they'd have better info faster.

I'm pretty sure Guther knows that the Planet is the place to hear Chief's news first.

Chromatic
12-15-2005, 08:08 AM
That's absurd. Let him do it.

I disagree.

If Larry wants to pimp some clothing line, let him do it off the field. Pimping it on the field disgraces the game in my opinion.

They're there to play football, not advertise.

JBucc
12-15-2005, 08:10 AM
yes LJ be pissed!!!!

Alton deFlat
12-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Damn. I must have Superman eyes or something because I saw it very clearly while watching it during a Christmas party in a crowded room after drinking about 5 whiskeys, the 5th of which was thrown at high velocity at the television set when I saw the yellow flag come out (probably not on the list of polite things to do when a guest in someone's house).

Screw that eye doctor appointment..... I'm gonna have me some whiskey.

KCTitus
12-15-2005, 08:47 AM

Hey! You need to check yourself, all the good info is at WPI in the 'premium' section.

the Talking Can
12-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Does Gun get paid for his "gesture"?

Dartgod
12-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Screw that eye doctor appointment..... I'm gonna have me some whiskey.
Always good advice. :thumb:

milehighfan
12-15-2005, 08:57 AM
I think it makes him look like a fool, so I think the league should let him do it. I don't remember Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders acting like a thug after a touchdown, but oh yeah, they had class. Mark my word, he will be out of the league in 3 years.

Dartgod
12-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Mark my word, he will be out of the league in 3 years.Back slowly away from the crack pipe.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-15-2005, 09:05 AM
I think it makes him look like a fool, so I think the league should let him do it. I don't remember Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders acting like a thug after a touchdown, but oh yeah, they had class. Mark my word, he will be out of the league in 3 years.You are now officially and idiot. 4321

the Talking Can
12-15-2005, 09:05 AM
I think it makes him look like a fool, so I think the league should let him do it. I don't remember Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders acting like a thug after a touchdown, but oh yeah, they had class. Mark my word, he will be out of the league in 3 years.

say hi to Homonowski for me....maybe he could come over and lecture the Chiefs on being "classy".....

Dartgod
12-15-2005, 09:07 AM
You are now officially and idiot. 1234
Oh, he was always and idiot. That post did qualify him for the Lifetime Achievment Award, however.

milehighfan
12-15-2005, 09:10 AM
say hi to Homonowski for me....maybe he could come over and lecture the Chiefs on being "classy".....

No disagreement here. Romo not exactly a class act, but no one can knock his desire to win. I don't think Romo's main goal was to pimp a symbol or sell a t-shirt. I think he did whatever it took to win, but I don't think we can say the same for LJ.

Dartgod
12-15-2005, 09:11 AM
I think he did whatever it took to win, but I don't think we can say the same for LJ.Are you really this f*cking stupid?

beavis
12-15-2005, 09:14 AM
I disagree.

If Larry wants to pimp some clothing line, let him do it off the field. Pimping it on the field disgraces the game in my opinion.

They're there to play football, not advertise.
I agree. If they're going to start allowing this kind of stuff, they might as well start selling ads on uniforms.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-15-2005, 09:16 AM
No disagreement here. Romo not exactly a class act, but no one can knock his desire to win. I don't think Romo's main goal was to pimp a symbol or sell a t-shirt. I think he did whatever it took to win, but I don't think we can say the same for LJ.

His desire to win was so great it lead him to cheat by using the juice. Oh that is even better than throwing some stupid arse hand sign up.

rageeumr
12-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Does anybody else think it's weird that the Star called the league up and informed them about this? If I was Gun I would be pretty effing pissed that my hometown paper sold me out like that. Granted, it was all over the Planet... other people had to have seen it, he would have gotten punished at some point....but why the hell would you just go and call the league up :shrug:

EDIT: Well, hell, there's a whole thread devoted to this......
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131307

BigRedChief
12-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Does anybody else think it's weird that the Star called the league up and informed them about this? If I was Gun I would be pretty effing pissed that my hometown paper sold me out like that. Granted, it was all over the Planet... other people had to have seen it, he would have gotten punished at some point....but why the hell would you just go and call the league up :shrug:

It's your fault for posting it. :)

Iowanian
12-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Does Gun get paid for his "gesture"?

Attorneys from "the bird man of alcatraz" have filed a C and D on Gunther and are filing copyright infringement lawsuits because it is known that their former client claimed this hand signal in the 1960's.

Skip Towne
12-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Are you really this f*cking stupid?
I think a squirrel ate his brains.

Dartgod
12-15-2005, 09:41 AM
I think a squirrel ate his brains.
Nah, he'd have had to have some in the first place.

I think God hates him because he's a Donkey fan and made him "speshul".

KCHawg
12-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Are you really this f*cking stupid?

Yes. Yes he is and idiot donkeys fan.

12-15-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't know what the Star did, but they changed the formatting of their website so that when you paste an article, it comes out in one big blob of a paragraph and you have to insert all the paragraph breaks yourself. Way more of a hassle than I anticipated, which is probably what they were hoping for. Yuck.

That is why I gave up trying to do it. Too much work. Plus, you are better and quicker at it anyway.:)

12-15-2005, 11:40 AM
The Star is standing behind their "journalistic integrity". I think they are just learning to be dicks like KK. Damn stir the pot idiot. Lets trash talk our Chiefs all day and run them out of town.

Chiefnj
12-15-2005, 11:41 AM
What would happen if a clothing line manufacturer began a series of advertisements where each of the models was shown spiking a football?

Would the NFL ban spiking because it might be associated with the clothing line?

mike_b_284
12-15-2005, 11:41 AM
the 5th of which was thrown at high velocity at the television set when I saw the yellow flag come out (probably not on the list of polite things to do when a guest in someone's house).
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Calcountry
12-15-2005, 11:52 AM
What would an LJ touchdown be without the <>. It wouldn't be worth watching.It would be like watching Chad Johnson give CPR to a football or putting it with an endzone cone.

Chief Roundup
12-15-2005, 12:01 PM
I think that the NFL will not make anything of it this year. But during the offseason they will change the rule and not allow any player to use a symbol of a company they have a contract with that is outside of the NFL.

Chief Roundup
12-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Mark my word, he will be out of the league in 3 years.
Oh I am sure you hope he is out in 3 years for the sake of your donko scum.