PDA

View Full Version : KING KONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halfcan
12-15-2005, 03:08 AM
Here is my official movie review.

This movie is freakin AWESOME!!!!

Hands down best movie of the year. It should clean up at the Oscars-with best director and Best Pic, special effects, sound, ect. This movie will end up being the highest grossing film of All-Time. Yes you heard it here first-bigger than Titanic. It has everything, you sit there thinking OMG how did they do that.

I went to the 11:30 pm and was expecting a sold-out crowd, but only 5 people including me showed up. It was like I had the whole place to myself for a private screening. I saw the 76 version opening day, and now this one. Been a huge fan since I was a kid and saw the black and white original on tv. This movie made me feel like I was a kid again, I was at the edge of my seat.

What did you guys think???

BigMeatballDave
12-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Best picture?

Typically, these types of movies do not win many Oscars...

BigMeatballDave
12-15-2005, 03:14 AM
I'll probably take my son to see it over Christmas Break...

Halfcan
12-15-2005, 03:16 AM
I think it will, it is beyond a movie-more like an event. Some critics say too long-bullshit-what is the point of recreating the same movie again. This one pulls you into 1933-and does a great job introducing the characters. It is a masterpiece, don't let anyone tell you different.

greg63
12-15-2005, 05:52 AM
Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing it! :thumb::thumb:

4th and Long
12-15-2005, 05:59 AM
Some critics say too long-bullshit-what is the point of recreating the same movie again.
I thought long movies were desinged to make you see how long you can hold your water after you drank down a giant $8.00 Coke from the concession stand. That way, you miss part of the movie and you have to go see it again to find out what you missed.

Fire Me Boy!
12-15-2005, 08:10 AM
I haven't seen it, but knowing the Academy it won't matter. King Kong will have a really tough time overcoming favorites like Capote and Walk the Line. My guess is it'll win special effects, cinematography, editing, sound editing... all the technical awards, but it won't do squat with anything else. I'd honestly be surprised if it even got nominations for the big six -- actor, actress, supporting actor/actress, picture, director.

BTW, music will go to John Williams on Memoirs of a Geisha.

King_Chief_Fan
12-15-2005, 08:49 AM
I thought long movies were desinged to make you see how long you can hold your water after you drank down a giant $8.00 Coke from the concession stand. That way, you miss part of the movie and you have to go see it again to find out what you missed.

ROFL

Deberg_1990
12-15-2005, 10:06 AM
IM sure its a good movie but no way it should have been 3 hours. Thats overindulgence on Peter Jacksons part.

Halfcan
12-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Biggest and most expensive movie of the year-and nobody is even talking about it. All I have heard is that its toooooo long??? For $8.50 plus another $10.00 for nachos, I want to get my moneys worth. If it doesn't have a huge weekend-this might just flop faster than Kong off the empire state building. My thoughts were, it was going to be huge-but the word of mouth and excitement just isn't there. Why is everyone on Peter Jackson's azz-its not like he made a three hour Miami Vice piece of sh#t. This truly is a great work from a director that was obviously a fan of the original.

Can't wait for Kong 2 the Resurection-oh yeah they did that allready with Kong Lives.

|Zach|
12-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Meh

Taco John
12-15-2005, 07:43 PM
I wanted to take my wife to it last night, but we agreed that we had so much to do right now that we wouldn't enjoy it. We figured we'd catch it after Christmas. I think that's the trouble the movie is faced with right now.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2005, 07:45 PM
KONG is rating in at 84% on rottentomatoes.com

PETER JACKSON RULES!!!!!

Megbert
12-15-2005, 07:46 PM
I am seeing it Sunday. I can't wait.

Jenson71
12-15-2005, 07:48 PM
King Kong is a damn good time. There's a couple scenes, one on the mountain, one of the Empire, where they have escaped the chaos below them and see how beautiful the world really is. If only the people below could understand that...

Man tries to shackle up in chains things that they can not and should nto try to control.

And some people think Kong is just a movie about a giant ape...

These are issues that are strongly revealed to the audience of the new version, compared to the 1933 which, due to the lack of technology back then, could only be implied at.

The movie often keeps you on your seat. However, in the 2nd act, there is a time when it's just more stuff comes at you, and you sit back and give a small sigh and roll your eyes...

Fortunately, that doesn't last long.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2005, 07:48 PM
I honestly am surprised at how well it is doing. I truly hope PJ gets to do The Hobbit.

Halfcan
12-15-2005, 07:58 PM
I thought that deal ran its course with the trilogy?

What is his next project? The dude has now made four of the biggest movies in history-how can he top Kong?

Sure-Oz
12-15-2005, 08:03 PM
This movie kicked my ass. Really got you into the Ape and cheering for him, obviously people who've seen the orig. knows what happens, hell anyone id think would but i think when he first got captured that got to me a tad, lol :shrugs:

Halfcan
12-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Almost 10 mil on first day, and 18 mil world wide-still a long way to go to get the 209 mil he spent back.

Sure-Oz
12-15-2005, 08:20 PM
http://www.allmoviewalls.com/movies/405-King%20Kong%20wallpapers.html

some badass kong wallpapers i found

Deberg_1990
12-15-2005, 08:21 PM
. If it doesn't have a huge weekend-this might just flop faster than Kong off the empire state building. My thoughts were, it was going to be huge-but the word of mouth and excitement just isn't there.

I think its going to be big, just not LoTR big. It will suffer by comparison which is kinda sad, but thats the reality i suppose. I dont think it has much female appeal as well so that will hurt it. I still dont think it needed to be 3 hours. He should have chopped about 30 minutes off, I heard the 1st hour is a little slow.

. Why is everyone on Peter Jackson's azz-its not like he made a three hour Miami Vice piece of sh#t.

Dude, Miami Vice was made by Michael Mann. Trust me, it wont be a Piece of crap, hes pretty much one of the best American Directors out there right now. Plus he was one of the original creators of the TV show which was pretty damn good its first couple of seasons.

Ralphy Boy
12-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Just got back, maybe I'll like it more in the morning, but right now I'm thinking I could have done a better job with claymation & sock puppets.

They completely overplayed Skull Island, its like yeah, I get it spooky place where all the bad creatures live and they are lucky to make it out alive...now here comes the attack of the giant penis' with teeth that swallow you whole.

King Kong ice skating was a waste of money and there is a reason this movie will flop. If you have a 3rd grade education like my 8 year old, you might enjoy it like he did.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Just got back, maybe I'll like it more in the morning, but right now I'm thinking I could have done a better job with claymation & sock puppets.

They completely overplayed Skull Island, its like yeah, I get it spooky place where all the bad creatures live and they are lucky to make it out alive...now here comes the attack of the giant penis' with teeth that swallow you whole.

King Kong ice skating was a waste of money and there is a reason this movie will flop. If you have a 3rd grade education like my 8 year old, you might enjoy it like he did.

Did you like Lord of the Rings?

Halfcan
12-15-2005, 10:46 PM
The bug scene was supposed to be in the original-I thought it was pretty cool watching these crew guys get killed in all kinds of weird ways. Kong VS. the three T-Rex was badazz. Sock puppets couldn't do that.

Fishpicker
12-16-2005, 12:13 AM
I saw it today... I think its incredible. the 3 hours are very well paced. I liked the LOTR movies but i would check my watch every so often in the theater. King Kong
was nonstop kickin ass. I thought the final scene was a little abrupt actually.

Tribal Warfare
12-16-2005, 01:01 AM
King Kong kicks Jurassic Park right square in the nuts with the action, and gives it a nice Gorrilla's in the mist flare by showing Kong's intimate and humourous reactions .

Miles
12-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Best picture?

Typically, these types of movies do not win many Oscars...

Unless they are about elves and hobbits n shit.

Miles
12-16-2005, 01:47 AM
I haven't seen it, but knowing the Academy it won't matter. King Kong will have a really tough time overcoming favorites like Capote and Walk the Line. My guess is it'll win special effects, cinematography, editing, sound editing... all the technical awards, but it won't do squat with anything else. I'd honestly be surprised if it even got nominations for the big six -- actor, actress, supporting actor/actress, picture, director.

BTW, music will go to John Williams on Memoirs of a Geisha.

Really looking foward to seeing Capote but for some reason didnt get around to going to my local landmark. Hoffman is amazing,

Miles
12-16-2005, 01:52 AM
Dude, Miami Vice was made by Michael Mann. Trust me, it wont be a Piece of crap, hes pretty much one of the best American Directors out there right now. Plus he was one of the original creators of the TV show which was pretty damn good its first couple of seasons.

Didnt realize that Mann was doing Miami Vice. Definitly looking foward to it now.

Barrymore50
12-16-2005, 03:23 AM
I don't know which King Kong you guys watched, but the one I saw tonight was bad. Not terrible, but still bad. AT LEAST an hour TOOOO long and mostly bad special effects. The first hour-and-a-half needed cut down to 30 minutes. Some of the scenes, situations, and dialogue were laughable. They rushed this out to make big money. I reallly liked the LOTR movies, but KK may be Peter Jackson's worst movie. (And if you take small kids, beware--this is not exactly a fuzzy family film.)

Abba-Dabba
12-16-2005, 04:29 AM

I'm not too impressed with Michael Mann. I really didn't like Collateral. The movie definately didn't live up to it's hype IMO.

Michael Mann is no Steven Soderbergh. That is for sure.

Chief Chief
12-16-2005, 04:46 AM
"Brokeback Mountain" is a dark horse Oscar candidate. It's clearly bringing up the rear.

Ralphy Boy
12-16-2005, 06:44 AM
Did you like Lord of the Rings?

Yes

siberian khatru
12-16-2005, 06:50 AM
"Brokeback Mountain" is a dark horse Oscar candidate. It's clearly bringing up the rear.

Joke on SNL last week: "Brokeback Mountain is the first western in which the good guys get it in the end."

Baby Lee
12-16-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm not too impressed with Michael Mann. I really didn't like Collateral. The movie definately didn't live up to it's hype IMO.

Michael Mann is no Steven Soderbergh. That is for sure.
1. Collateral is not how you judge the master behind Heat and Last of the Mohicans. That's like saying "De Nero sucks, Rocky and Bullwinkle didn't live up to the hype." Except Collateral wasn't so much bad as not as good as his others.
2. Saying Mann is no Soderbergh is actually one of the higher compliments I could imagine.

siberian khatru
12-16-2005, 07:13 AM
1. Collateral is not how you judge the master behind Heat and Last of the Mohicans. That's like saying "De Nero sucks, Rocky and Bullwinkle didn't live up to the hype." Except Collateral wasn't so much bad as not as good as his others.
2. Saying Mann is no Soderbergh is actually one of the higher compliments I could imagine.

:clap:

Although, Soderbergh IS married to Jules Asner. :deevee:

Fire Me Boy!
12-16-2005, 07:22 AM
I don't know which King Kong you guys watched, but the one I saw tonight was bad. Not terrible, but still bad. AT LEAST an hour TOOOO long and mostly bad special effects. The first hour-and-a-half needed cut down to 30 minutes. Some of the scenes, situations, and dialogue were laughable. They rushed this out to make big money. I reallly liked the LOTR movies, but KK may be Peter Jackson's worst movie. (And if you take small kids, beware--this is not exactly a fuzzy family film.)
I haven't seen KK yet, but I have seen Braindead, Meet the Feebles, and Bad Taste. I will CERTAINLY have to argue with the statement that KK is his worst movie. No friggin' way.

Fire Me Boy!
12-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Yup... Jules Asner... :drool:

http://www.freshdames.com/jules_asner/images/Jules_Asner02_jpg.jpg

http://big.supereva.com/gallery/Attrici_Straniere/Jules_Asner/julesA023.JPG

http://www.freshdames.com/jules_asner/images/Jules_Asner03_jpg.jpg

munkey
12-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Yes

Sure you did... :rolleyes:

Logical
12-16-2005, 07:23 PM
In one word

AWFUL!!!

Walked out 2 hours and 5 minutes in bored, yes the Kong speical effects were well done, and that was all that was well done. Horrible script, poor acting (I am a Jack Black fan) campy and overdone, did I mention that 2 hours and 5 minutes in I could see no way it was going to end and my son and I walked out.

Save Your MONEY!!!

Hammock Parties
12-16-2005, 07:31 PM
In one word

AWFUL!!!

Walked out 2 hours and 5 minutes in bored, yes the Kong speical effects were well done, and that was all that was well done. Horrible script, poor acting (I am a Jack Black fan) campy and overdone, did I mention that 2 hours and 5 minutes in I could see no way it was going to end and my son and I walked out.

Save Your MONEY!!!

Sounds awesome! I'll be going for sure now!

Logical
12-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Sounds awesome! I'll be going for sure now!
I think I like the LoTR trilogy almost as much as you say you do. I really doubt if you will find KK a good flick, hey but it is your money.

Hammock Parties
12-16-2005, 07:48 PM
I think I like the LoTR trilogy almost as much as you say you do. I really doubt if you will find KK a good flick, hey but it is your money.

Interesting. KK is getting all kinds of great reviews across the board.

I love PJ.

siberian khatru
12-16-2005, 08:12 PM
I saw it today and I must say, surprisingly, I was underwhelmed.

Halfcan
12-16-2005, 08:28 PM
How could you walk out and miss the end-the best part? I think if your a fan of the book and the original you will love this movie. I thought the acting was pretty descent-Jack Black is supposed to be an azz-and a little crazy. Adrian Brody could of used some more screen time-he is a great actor-but I really loved what they did with Kong. If you have ever seen Silverbacks in person-they nailed it. I am seeing it again this weekend with the kids.

Logical
12-16-2005, 08:33 PM
How could you walk out and miss the end-the best part? I think if your a fan of the book and the original you will love this movie. I thought the acting was pretty descent-Jack Black is supposed to be an azz-and a little crazy. Adrian Brody could of used some more screen time-he is a great actor-but I really loved what they did with Kong. If you have ever seen Silverbacks in person-they nailed it. I am seeing it again this weekend with the kids.I could have easily deleted an hour of the first two hours and not lost anything important.

Mark M
12-16-2005, 09:34 PM
In one word

AWFUL!!!

Save Your MONEY!!!
Dude ... you really need to up your meds.

Seriously, I'm not sure what movie you saw.

I caught it today and it was easily one of the best movies I've seen in a while. The first part sets up the characters, the middle is nothing but non-stop, kick-ass action, and the last part shows the arrogance of man when dealing with nature.

But to each his own, I guess.

MM
~~:shrug:

Deberg_1990
12-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Wow, sounds like this flick really has people split so far.

|Zach|
12-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Seems like its more so for someone younger than 13.

Halfcan
12-16-2005, 09:49 PM

I caught it today and it was easily one of the best movies I've seen in a while. The first part sets up the characters, the middle is nothing but non-stop, kick-ass action, and the last part shows the arrogance of man when dealing with nature.

MM

Yep I agree totally-you just have to let yourself believe. I had a harder time getting into the last few Star Bore movies. No character development whatsever-just cheezy effects. I think it is great that a big budget movie tries to actually develope a story around 207 mil in effects.

Logical
12-16-2005, 10:10 PM

MM
~~:shrug:Evidently my 24 year old son also did not like it.

Logical
12-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Yep I agree totally-you just have to let yourself believe. I had a harder time getting into the last few Star Bore movies. No character development whatsever-just cheezy effects. I think it is great that a big budget movie tries to actually develope a story around 207 mil in effects.I actually agree on the lack of character development in the prequel trilogy, but how can you make that statement when talking about a movie KK that had absolutely none. The characters were shallow and trivialized. Jack Black played a character that was a parody of a fictional director and managed to do a bad job of that.

Skip Towne
12-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey Vlad, if you up your meds, will you share?

Chiefs Pantalones
12-16-2005, 10:14 PM
I actually agree on the lack of character development in the prequel trilogy, but how can you make that statement when talking about a movie KK that had absolutely none. The characters were shallow and trivialized. Jack Black played a character that was a parody of a fictional director and managed to do a bad job of that.

Jack Black a bad actor? Whodathunkit?

Logical
12-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey Vlad, if you up your meds, will you share?This won't be funny, but I kind of tire of hearing about upping my meds. Right now I puke about 1 out of every three days because of all the meds I have to take, the thought of having to take more is not a pleasant one.

Mark M
12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Evidently my 24 year old son also did not like it.

I think that has to do with the apple not falling far from the tree.

;)

Actually, I can see why some people don't like it. But, IMHO, those people are usually pretty picky and sometimes don't realize that not every single movie needs to be either a Citizen Kane or Terminator (to represent both ends of the spectrum). And, I thought the acting was good and the script believable enough.

I used to be super-picky, but have decided that sometimes a movie should be taken at face value.

Basically, I just think some people are going into it with unrealistic expectations.

MM

Mark M
12-16-2005, 10:23 PM
This won't be funny, but I kind of tire of hearing about upping my meds. Right now I puke about 1 out of every three days because of all the meds I have to take, the thought of having to take more is not a pleasant one.

Dude ... what the hell?

:eek:

I was trying to make a Prozac/happy pill joke. Apparently, I missed something somehwere. Seriously ... I have no idea you had actual medical problems other than a case of sourpuss.

(Feel free to send me a PM, rather than cluttering up this thread if you want to discuss. If not, that's okay. And please accept my apologies).

MM
~~:eek:

tk13
12-16-2005, 10:27 PM
I haven't seen KK yet, but I have seen Braindead, Meet the Feebles, and Bad Taste. I will CERTAINLY have to argue with the statement that KK is his worst movie. No friggin' way.
My movie experience pales in comparison to many on here, but I can say I've seen Bad Taste! Haha. Not something I'm proud of. I really fail to understand how anyone ever watched a movie like that then decided "Hey! Let's have this guy direct Lord of the Rings!"

Halfcan
12-16-2005, 10:36 PM
My movie experience pales in comparison to many on here, but I can say I've seen Bad Taste! Haha. Not something I'm proud of. I really fail to understand how anyone ever watched a movie like that then decided "Hey! Let's have this guy direct Lord of the Rings!"

They were on Meds-lol But seriously, PJ is one the fast track to being the highest grossing director of all time but Spielburg is way in front now. Besides Shindlers List-I think SS has made some flops too.

Logical
12-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Dude ... what the hell?

:eek:

I was trying to make a Prozac/happy pill joke. Apparently, I missed something somehwere. Seriously ... I have no idea you had actual medical problems other than a case of sourpuss.

(Feel free to send me a PM, rather than cluttering up this thread if you want to discuss. If not, that's okay. And please accept my apologies).

MM
~~:eek:No apology needed except from me. Not everyone knows about my medical condition. I sent you a PM to explain.

Halfcan
12-16-2005, 10:53 PM
I didn't know either Vlad-hope things get better for ya.

Logical
12-16-2005, 10:56 PM
I didn't know either Vlad-hope things get better for ya.Thanks

Halfcan
12-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Go see King Kong again-this time watch the end-that will cheer you up.

Mark M
12-16-2005, 10:58 PM
And now, a group hug!!

Just make sure to watch where you put your hand, Halfcan ...

I'd hate to have to cut it off.

MM
~~:)

stevieray
12-16-2005, 11:08 PM

Jane you ignorant slut.

Chief Chief
12-16-2005, 11:08 PM
3 freakin' hours long? Did director Peter Jackson think he was makin' a "Lord of the Bananas" trilogy? And what's up with the babe havin' the hots for the oversized Donkey Kong? Is it because she's into heavy back hair...or is it simply because she loves to touch that humongous monkey?

Fire Me Boy!
12-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah... Jackson made a bunch of total crap prior to LOTR. However, when the announced he'd do LOTR, I was intrigued. I remember some of his vistas and his knack for visual storytelling in The Frighteners and Heavenly Creatures. But damn... Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles and Braindead are just total crap.

Thig Lyfe
12-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Just saw King Kong. Very, very good. One of the more engrossing movies you'll see. Although the first act was a little disjointed, the movie as a whole was great.

One of the most amazing things was how Kong was so animated and expressive, I sort of wished he could talk so I could hear what it was thinking. In fact, the scenes with no dialogue between Naomi Watts and King King were incredible, and were some of the most honest interactions of the movie.

I'd give it 4 1/2 out of 5.

Logical
12-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Well it certainly appears to be a love it or hate it proposition.

Halfcan
12-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Yeah seems that way-that is weird, Most Love it, and a very small few hate it.

tk13
12-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Yeah... Jackson made a bunch of total crap prior to LOTR. However, when the announced he'd do LOTR, I was intrigued. I remember some of his vistas and his knack for visual storytelling in The Frighteners and Heavenly Creatures. But damn... Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles and Braindead are just total crap.
I did think Bad Taste was a good example of using sound in a movie though, the sound effects were good, added quite a bit to it. Like when they're all slurping the green brain liquid...yuck, gross. I think I'll go vomit now.

Fire Me Boy!
12-16-2005, 11:52 PM
:Lin:

Logical
12-16-2005, 11:54 PM
One thing I was amazed at was that the theater was only a 1/3 full on a Friday, that is not a good sign for KK's gross.

tk13
12-16-2005, 11:56 PM
One thing I was amazed at was that the theater was only a 1/3 full on a Friday, that is not a good sign for KK's gross.
Yeah I saw a story about that on the news tonight. It had a good opening day, but not great. I believe they said it matched Godzilla for like the 21st best opening ever. We'll see what this weekend brings.

Halfcan
12-16-2005, 11:57 PM

Yeah I thought people would go ape over this movie, but it looks like it won't make the bananas I thought it would.

Halfcan
12-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah I saw a story about that on the news tonight. It had a good opening day, but not great. I believe they said it matched Godzilla for like the 21st best opening ever. We'll see what this weekend brings.

King Kong would kick Godzillas azz!!

Logical
12-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah I thought people would go ape over this movie, but it looks like it won't make the bananas I thought it would.LOL quit monkeying with me.

GT Orange
12-17-2005, 01:02 AM
I agree with whomever said beware if you take small children. The creepy, crawly creatures could be a little startling. I wouldn't mind seeing it in 3-D, though... :clap:

I had heard about the "too long" complaint before I saw the movie and I think people just don't get it. If there was no character development, the significance of the actions of certain characters in the race to get off Skull Island would be lost.

They could have worked on making Naomi Watts a little more realistic when she was thrown around during the fighting, but I thought the effects were still first-rate.

conchshell
12-17-2005, 01:08 AM
I just came from watching it and I will add a couple of points

1) This movie sucked for me
2) The Special effects are very well done
3) They could've atleast chopped a half hour from the movie and nobody would've missed anything
4) I had high effects of Peter Jackson prior to the movie. Now, I don't. I guess if you give a great book, anybody could make a movie out of it.

Flame on...

Talisman
12-17-2005, 01:13 AM
No way this does more money than Titanic. It won't get the repeat business. Not enough chickflickiness to get the girls coming back again and again to weap over Jack dying.

How many of you guys who liked King Kong will be going back to see it again?

Talisman
12-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Does the monkey live happily ever after?

I love a happy ending.
I don't want to spoil it for you, but the giant monkey and the woman could never have lived happily ever after. His male part was just way too big.

Come to think of it, I've had quite a few relationships end for that exact same reason...

Talisman
12-17-2005, 01:52 AM
"Her" male part was just too big?
I know you may have expreienced that with some of the larger chicks you've been with in the past. But cheer up. To quote Tom Arnold: "Even a 747 looks small when you're landing it in the grand canyon."

KcMizzou
12-17-2005, 02:41 AM
King Kong would kick Godzillas azz!! Complete, utter, bullshit.
:harumph:

Demonpenz
12-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Godzilla has blue oyster cult on his side

KcMizzou
12-17-2005, 02:43 AM
Godzilla has blue oyster cult on his sideIndeed. That's gotta count for something.

KcMizzou
12-17-2005, 02:45 AM
I do hope, however that this King Kong move kicks the last Godzilla movie's ass.

(because that movie really sucked)

Demonpenz
12-17-2005, 02:47 AM
who can forget puffy singing over kashmir

KcMizzou
12-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Me, apparently.Must be nice.

Demonpenz
12-17-2005, 02:49 AM
come with me come with me

KcMizzou
12-17-2005, 02:51 AM
come with me come with me P. Diddy.... and a bunch of Jurrasic Park reject raptors. :shake: That's not a Godzilla movie. Where's Caudle... he'll tell ya.
:cuss:

Demonpenz
12-17-2005, 02:56 AM
i wish king kong had a celine dion power ballad

Talisman
12-17-2005, 02:57 AM
i wish king kong had a celine dion power ballad
ROFL

Son of Logical
12-17-2005, 04:32 AM
I think that has to do with the apple not falling far from the tree.

;)

Actually, I can see why some people don't like it. But, IMHO, those people are usually pretty picky and sometimes don't realize that not every single movie needs to be either a Citizen Kane or Terminator (to represent both ends of the spectrum). And, I thought the acting was good and the script believable enough.

I used to be super-picky, but have decided that sometimes a movie should be taken at face value.

Basically, I just think some people are going into it with unrealistic expectations.

MM
Actually it has very little to do with the apple not falling far from the tree. My Dad and I have on numerous occasions felt completely different on if a movie was good or not. I found a lot of the movie to be over the top. The action parts in my opinion had awesome special effects, but were to much at once type of thing. I think P.J. has the tendency to go overboard and make his movies too long. Also, I am not one of those people that needs a movie to be Citizen Kane, or Terminator. Just for example, along with the greats you listed I really enjoyed Hudson Hawk. I thought the Big Labowski was hillarious. King Kong was just to friggen long, and I am not going to lie, all the creepy crawlers just kind of grossed me out.

kpic
12-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Kong is going to be split amongst movie goers for two reasons:

1. Its 3 hours long, when I heard this I said "Great! that gives enough time to tell the story" when others hear this they say that it's way too long, just different viewing habits.
2. It’s a Fantasy film and all fantasy films expect you to suspend your disbelief. Some people will take it as it is shown on screen and just enjoy the ride and others will expect it to believable & get to the point.

If you liked the original 33' you will like this.

Also: the last TRUE Godzilla movie was Godzilla-Final Wars in 2004 (well some will say the last one was in 1954 but that’s another topic) if anyone mentions the American made Godzilla film in 1998 that is a decent monster flick but in no way is related to Godzilla.

The last time King Kong & Godzilla got together for a fight it ended in a draw, wonder what would happen this time.......
:hmmm:

Hammock Parties
12-17-2005, 10:22 AM

VLAD HATES THIS MOVIE SO IT HAS TO BE A FLOP!!!!!!!111oneONEONE****YOU!

Hammock Parties
12-17-2005, 10:25 AM

He was a huge LOTR fan. He pitched LOTR to several studios before he finally got one.

At first they wanted to make it a 2-parter. :shake:

Hammock Parties
12-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Seems like its more so for someone younger than 13.

GO **** YOURSELF!

Logical
12-17-2005, 01:19 PM
VLAD HATES THIS MOVIE SO IT HAS TO BE A FLOP!!!!!!!111oneONEONE****YOU!Come on, a new major release in a city the size of San Diego has a theatre only 1/3 full on a Friday. The last Harry Potter movie had hour long lines at the same time. Lots of movies I don't like are successes, hell I would not watch Narnia for nothing but it has had big lines for two weeks.

morphius
12-17-2005, 01:57 PM
This movie has one major issue, while it looks interesting, everyone has seen it before and knows what happens. I figure at this time of year, with everyone spending money on presents and the like, not many people are going to rush out to see it.

headsnap
12-17-2005, 02:05 PM
This movie has one major issue, while it looks interesting, everyone has seen it before and knows what happens. I figure at this time of year, with everyone spending money on presents and the like, not many people are going to rush out to see it.

so, everyone also knew that the Titanic sank... :p

morphius
12-17-2005, 02:08 PM
so, everyone also knew that the Titanic sank... :p
Yeah, but it wasn't really as much as a remake.

And I thought about that when I was typing it, but ignored it cause it was a chick flick you ass :D

DaneMcCloud
12-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Universal, in their arrogance, felt that people would go see a 3 hour movie during the busiest shopping and Holiday Season of the year. They were of course, wrong (just like their marketing of another financial flop "Cinderella Man"). A three hour movie, not matter how great, is just way too long for this time of the year.

I haven't had the time to see it yet. But several friends, have presented the same arguments ("Love it" or "Hate it"). That doesn't bode well for its box office receipts.

Dane

Hammock Parties
12-17-2005, 02:10 PM
A three hour movie, not matter how great, is just way too long for this time of the year.

The LOTR movies were released in November so I wonder why they slated Kong for December.

Hammock Parties
12-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Haha... this thread has been poopied.

Mod abuse!

DaneMcCloud
12-17-2005, 03:01 PM
The LOTR movies were released in November so I wonder why they slated Kong for December.

Actually, LOTR-FOR was released on 12/19/2001, but that was New Line Cinema, not Univesal. Universal's a mess and with NBC becoming their parent company, it's not getting any better over there.

Dane

Hammock Parties
12-17-2005, 03:03 PM

Actually, LOTR-FOR was released on 12/19/2001, but that was New Line Cinema, not Univesal. Universal's a mess and with NBC becoming their parent company, it's not getting any better over there.

Dane

Oops my bad that was the DVD release date.

So basically you are full of shit! :D

Miles
12-17-2005, 03:39 PM
We got the Schnapster! *ting*

Hey man, these ain't talls. Go back and get some talls!

Deberg_1990
12-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Universal, in their arrogance, felt that people would go see a 3 hour movie during the busiest shopping and Holiday Season of the year.

All 3 LoTR films were released on this same weekend in December in 2001, 2002 and 2003 so its not that. Basically expectations were set way too high for this film. Its loking like its still going to be making 60-70 mil for the first 5 days. Pretty damn good. It will make $$$$, there is no doubt about that, but im going to guess around 200 mil by the time its all said and done with. Unfortunatly, that will be viewed as a dissappointment by some. I think the biggest problem is that the film has almost ZERO female appeal and doesnt have the built in awareness and fan base that the LoTR films had.

Jenson71
12-17-2005, 09:03 PM
All 3 LoTR films were released on this same weekend in December in 2001, 2002 and 2003 so its not that. Basically expectations were set way too high for this film. Its loking like its still going to be making 60-70 mil for the first 5 days. Pretty damn good. It will make $$$$, there is no doubt about that, but im going to guess around 200 mil by the time its all said and done with. Unfortunatly, that will be viewed as a dissappointment by some. I think the biggest problem is that the film has almost ZERO female appeal and doesnt have the built in awareness and fan base that the LoTR films had.

How did LOTR have more female appeal than Kong? And people have been aware of Kong since 1933. It does have a big fan base already. I gotta disagree with your reasons.

Halfcan
12-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Who put the kong size shit pile next to this thread. It doesn't stink that bad. Just seems like people have a huge difference of opinion on it. It will continue to draw through Christmas when all, the kids are out. Thats when you will see it bring in huge $$$$.

chiefsfolife
12-17-2005, 09:44 PM
who wants to go to a board that doesnt believe in free speech? like chiefs planett...****ing pussy mods

Amnorix
12-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Without having read through this thread other than the last two pages, I have the following comments:

1. Very good movie overall, IMHO. Liked it alot, as did my wife and the other couple I went with.

2. Movie should have been about half an hour shorter. I know PJ likes them long, but some scenes really would have been better left on the floor. The creepy crawler scene generated some intensity, but so did lots of other parts of the movie, and it was ridiculously unrealistic and just generally unnecessary. A few other scenes easily could've/should've been axed.

3. Special effects were terrific.

4. Went to the 10:15 a.m. showing (first showing) on a Saturday morning, and it was completely sold out. No heinous lines or anything, but htat's not bad for the first show of the day.

5. I love PJ as a director by and large. He has great vision in many ways. But one thing that consistently causes me irritation is the insertion of unbelievable stupidity or unrealism where it's UNNECESSARY. Completely IMHO, but there's a big difference between suspension of disbelief for plot advancement purposes and just having ridiculously stupid impossible stuff happen just cuz it will generate an interesting special effect or whatever. The creepy crawler scene went way overboard on this concept, as did one or two other scenes.

Halfcan
12-17-2005, 10:27 PM
The bug scene was supposed to be in the first movie, so I think PJ put it in to sort of keep it real. I kind of liked seeing all the different animals and how they had evolved.

Hammock Parties
12-17-2005, 10:46 PM
How did LOTR have more female appeal than Kong? .

More female characters. Hotter leading men.

Is that what you were looking for?

Deberg_1990
12-17-2005, 10:56 PM
How did LOTR have more female appeal than Kong? And people have been aware of Kong since 1933. It does have a big fan base already. I gotta disagree with your reasons.

I didnt mean to say that LoTR had female appeal and Kong didnt. But I did mean that LoTR had a bigger established fan base than Kong.

Amnorix
12-18-2005, 12:16 AM
More female characters. Hotter leading men.

Is that what you were looking for?

err...female characters that had damn little to do, especially after the first movie.

As for the leading men, considering my wife's reaction to Orlando Bloom in LoTR, I can't argue. She was crushed when she learned he wasn't really blond and blue eyed. ROFL

Seriously, though, Ann Darrow is about 1,000 times more integral to KK than any of the female characters in LoTR.

Hammock Parties
12-18-2005, 01:26 AM
err...female characters that had damn little to do, especially after the first movie.

As for the leading men, considering my wife's reaction to Orlando Bloom in LoTR, I can't argue. She was crushed when she learned he wasn't really blond and blue eyed. ROFL

Seriously, though, Ann Darrow is about 1,000 times more integral to KK than any of the female characters in LoTR.

You're forgetting this lovely lass:

http://www.xxc.idv.tw/mt/archives/natasha/Eowyn.JPG

Halfcan
12-18-2005, 02:01 AM
If this thread keeps going it could be bigger than the Titanic thread. But it will need support from the women of the planet, plus great traffic through Christmas.

That steaming pile of Bronco fan next to it probably doesn't help any.

Frazod
12-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Just got back from seeing this. Magnificent - easily the best movie I've seen this year. I'm still in awe of it. Hell, I may go watch it again tomorrow.

Peter Jackson is an absolute genius (for him, I'll spell it right :D ).

KcMizzou
12-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Just got back from seeing this. Magnificent - easily the best movie I've seen this year. I'm still in awe of it. Hell, I may go watch it again tomorrow.

Peter Jackson is an absolute genius (for him, I'll spell it right :D ).Sweet. I'll be seeing it for sure.

Sully
12-19-2005, 06:02 PM
I saw it yesterday, and I hate to be that guy, but I thought the cgi stuff was awful.
When there were people in front of a bluescreen, it was terrible. The lighting on the people was completely different from that on the background/creatures. It wasn't a whole lot better, in my eyes, than Clash of the Titans or Land of the Lost.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 06:08 PM
It wasn't a whole lot better, in my eyes, than Clash of the Titans

It's better than Clash of the Titans? DAMN! Sounds awesome!

Frazod
12-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Hey, if you want to pick it apart, enjoy. Sure some of the effects were a bit questionable. There wasn't nearly enough blood, either. And Kong would have exploded like an overripe melon when he hit street at the base of the Empire State Building. But who cares?

I loved it and really don't give a shit who didn't.

RedNFeisty
12-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I can't wait to see King Kong. The original was great, except I was pissed that I cried at the ending. I plan on bawling this time around so it won't be so bad since I know it is coming.

I need to squeeze the Chronicals in as well. Damn Christmas shopping!!

RedNFeisty
12-19-2005, 06:21 PM
BTW, The Titanic sucked. Great story, lousy movie, guess it was good for a chick flick.

Frazod
12-19-2005, 06:22 PM
I can't wait to see King Kong. The original was great, except I was pissed that I cried at the ending. I plan on bawling this time around so it won't be so bad since I know it is coming.

I need to squeeze the Chronicals in as well. Damn Christmas shopping!!

If you cried at the end of the original, you'd better bring a crate of kleenexes to this one. The relationship between Anne and Kong is the heart of the movie - she loses her fear of him quickly.

This movie is EXTREMELY sad.

RedNFeisty
12-19-2005, 06:26 PM
If you cried at the end of the original, you'd better bring a crate of kleenexes to this one. The relationship between Anne and Kong is the heart of the movie - she loses her fear of him quickly.

Grreeaaat, thanks for the heads up!!

I am such a girl, I even cried at Natural Born Killers.

Frazod
12-19-2005, 06:29 PM
I even cried at Natural Born Killers.
Yeah, me too - in pain. I'd still like to kick Oliver Stone right in the stuff for inflicting that one on me. :#

RedNFeisty
12-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah, me too - in pain. I'd still like to kick Oliver Stone right in the stuff for inflicting that one on me. :#

I actually liked that one. :)

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 06:31 PM
I plan on bawling this time around so it won't be so bad since I know it is coming.

I need to squeeze the Chronicals in as well.

Let me tell you something, I knew what was coming in Narnia and cried my eyes out anyway.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 06:32 PM
If you cried at the end of the original, you'd better bring a crate of kleenexes to this one. .

That's why Peter Jackson rules!

Frazod
12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
I actually liked that one. :)

That movie really did give me a headache. I felt violated after watching it. I never watched another one of his movies after that and never will again.

RedNFeisty
12-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Let me tell you something, I knew what was coming in Narnia and cried my eyes out anyway.

Damn it, I did not expect to cry at both! :banghead:

RedNFeisty
12-19-2005, 06:39 PM
That movie really did give me a headache. I felt violated after watching it. I never watched another one of his movies after that and never will again.

I'm sorry. There are some that I feel the same about, some just recently, but I am drawing a blank right now.

Deberg_1990
12-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Seems most everyone likes the film but dont love it. Too much CGI and manic cutting. Pretty much the problem with about 95% of the blockbuster crap Hollywood spews out every year. Am I the only one who liked the 1970's Kong??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051219/en_usatoday/somefansexhaustedbymanickong

With a three-hour running time and lavish special effects, King Kong left some moviegoers satisfied - if worn out.

"Seeing it once was enough," says David Fone, 52, of San Diego. "I'm glad I saw it, but it's such an exhausting film, with so many quick cuts, explosive noise and huge monsters flying in and out of scenes that I got my fill."

Fone says he enjoyed Kong, "although at times I thought (director) Peter Jackson fell too much in love with special effects. Was he incorporating all these CGI monsters because they were central to the story, or just because he could, to push the 'wow' factor?"

The movie earned an audience grade of A-, according to the polling firm CinemaScore. Distributor Universal Pictures says that about 53% of the audience was male, and 55% was 25 and older.

Moviegoers said they were impressed with the action, effects and star Naomi Watts. But the movie's length may be a drawback to repeat viewings.

"If it was a bit shorter, I would be tempted to see it again," says Paul Wesselmann, 38, of Madison, Wis. "But three hours is a serious commitment to a second viewing. Of course, I did see Titanic eight times in the movie theater."

Jessica Barr, 33, of St. Louis says she went to Kong at the insistence of her boyfriend but was won over by the film's heart.

"I didn't like Lord of the Rings," Barr says of Jackson's previous three films. "But I thought this movie had a lot more emotion than those. It wasn't all action. I don't care if it was about a big monkey. I loved the love story."

KcMizzou
12-19-2005, 07:01 PM
"If it was a bit shorter, I would be tempted to see it again," says Paul Wesselmann, 38, of Madison, Wis. "But three hours is a serious commitment to a second viewing. Of course, I did see Titanic eight times in the movie theater."
Your opinion doesn't count. Thanks for your time. Next!

KcMizzou
12-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Wow. It's a guy too. How many hetero males saw Titanic eight times in the theater, I wonder...

Eleazar
12-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Wow. It's a guy too. How many hetero males saw Titanic eight times in the theater, I wonder...

The one time I saw it felt like 8 straight...

Deberg_1990
12-19-2005, 07:07 PM

What infuriates me about that movie is that it was James Cameron's worst movie and it got him all the acclaim. Plus hes now is semi-retirement.

4th and Long
12-19-2005, 07:09 PM
No REAL man sat through Titanic more than once at a theater, and only then, that one time was for the sole purpose of of acquiring some cooch later in the evening.

BTW, I'm exhausted by the number of King Kong threads on the board.

KcMizzou
12-19-2005, 07:10 PM
As for King Kong... I look forward to seeing it. I like Peter Jackson, and I like these epic blockbuster type movies. I don't get to go to the theater often, so when I go, I like to see something that's a bit of a spectacle.

I'm pretty easy to please as far as movies go, anyway. I'm sure I'll really enjoy it.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 07:26 PM
"I didn't like Lord of the Rings," Barr says of Jackson's previous three films. "But I thought this movie had a lot more emotion than those. It wasn't all action. "

Shut up, you ignorant bitch.

Eleazar
12-19-2005, 07:30 PM
No REAL man sat through Titanic more than once at a theater

I was drug to it in this way, just to clear my name. :shake:

Logical
12-19-2005, 07:45 PM
It's hard to cry if you leave 2 hours in from the tedious nature of scenes far too long and such horrid acting. Hell Kong was a better actor than everyone else in the flick and more believable as well.

4th and Long
12-19-2005, 07:55 PM
I was drug to it in this way, just to clear my name. :shake:
You only saw it once so you're off the hook. Please continue carrying your "REAL MAN" card and display it proudly when called upon to do so.

Jenson71
12-19-2005, 08:13 PM
No mention of Peter Jackson's amateurish editing during Brody's typing of "Skull Island" and another scene (which I can't remember)? That was honestly painful to watch.

Titanic, is a well made film, and I didn't see it in the theaters, but would not have minded to do so. And James Cameron is not semiretired. He's been making documentaries about the ocean floor lately.

InChiefsHeaven
12-19-2005, 08:14 PM

"...but I'm on-fire gay, so..."

siberian khatru
12-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Well, as I've said, I was underwhelmed. It wasn't a bad movie. There were some really good scenes. And I never, ever get tired of just staring at Naomi Watts.

But I thought PJ could've cut 30-45 minutes out of it. I felt several scenes went 2-5 minutes longer than they should have. I also agree with the CGI and the quick-cuts complaints. I'm really getting tired of CGI sunsets/sunrises, in all movies, not just KK.

I also really dislike PJ's use of slow-mo. It was annoying in LOTR -- the one false note I think he hit in the whole series -- and in KK it's really overdone. I think it looks cheesy and really doesn't fit in with the rest of the movie.

But I'm in the minority, particularly on the Planet. That's OK. I'm glad a lot of folks are getting full satisfaction out of it.

Amnorix
12-19-2005, 09:10 PM
You're forgetting this lovely lass:

http://www.xxc.idv.tw/mt/archives/natasha/Eowyn.JPG

Puh-leeze. Look, you're not going to find a more dedicated LoTR fan than me, but all she does is look calf-eyed at Aragorn now and then, and gets a few minutes of fame by sticking it to the Witch-King. She's not even remotely a central character.

Amnorix
12-19-2005, 09:11 PM
I saw it yesterday, and I hate to be that guy, but I thought the cgi stuff was awful.
When there were people in front of a bluescreen, it was terrible. The lighting on the people was completely different from that on the background/creatures. It wasn't a whole lot better, in my eyes, than Clash of the Titans or Land of the Lost.

IMHO they were clearly rushed getting it to the screen. Another few months would've done them well. we KNOW they can produce the quality if they have the time.

Amnorix
12-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey, if you want to pick it apart, enjoy. Sure some of the effects were a bit questionable. There wasn't nearly enough blood, either. And Kong would have exploded like an overripe melon when he hit street at the base of the Empire State Building. But who cares?

I loved it and really don't give a shit who didn't.

Ditto, I'm with you.

A number of scenes annoyed me slightly for the total lack of "realism" (even in context), but overall a great movie.

Amnorix
12-19-2005, 09:13 PM

Agreed. IMHO it's even sadder *because* you know how it's going to end.

Amnorix
12-19-2005, 09:14 PM
It's hard to cry if you leave 2 hours in from the tedious nature of scenes far too long and such horrid acting. Hell Kong was a better actor than everyone else in the flick and more believable as well.
You didn't like Naomi Watts? I thought she was very good.

But yes, Kong was superb. Andy Serkis (Gollum) strikes again.

siberian khatru
12-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Puh-leeze. Look, you're not going to find a more dedicated LoTR fan than me, but all she does is look calf-eyed at Aragorn now and then, and gets a few minutes of fame by sticking it to the Witch-King. She's not even remotely a central character.

Agreed, but I was more attracted to her than to Arwen.

Frazod
12-19-2005, 09:24 PM

Jesus, Jim, is there anything that you DON'T hate? :shake:

KcMizzou
12-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Jesus, Jim, is there anything that you DON'T hate? :shake:Actually, Jim was a big fan of "You Got Served". :D

Edit* Damnit. I was thinking of the wrong movie. I think it was actually Drumline.. which I heard wasn't bad at all.

Bob Dole
12-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Bob Dole went and saw it this evening. Only the second film Bob Dole has seen in a theater in the past decade.

A good movie that would have been better at about 130 minutes.

Frazod
12-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Well, as I've said, I was underwhelmed. It wasn't a bad movie. There were some really good scenes. And I never, ever get tired of just staring at Naomi Watts.

But I thought PJ could've cut 30-45 minutes out of it. I felt several scenes went 2-5 minutes longer than they should have. I also agree with the CGI and the quick-cuts complaints. I'm really getting tired of CGI sunsets/sunrises, in all movies, not just KK.

I also really dislike PJ's use of slow-mo. It was annoying in LOTR -- the one false note I think he hit in the whole series -- and in KK it's really overdone. I think it looks cheesy and really doesn't fit in with the rest of the movie.

But I'm in the minority, particularly on the Planet. That's OK. I'm glad a lot of folks are getting full satisfaction out of it.

I agree with all your criticizms - especially of the choppy slow-motion camera work. I have ALWAYS hated that. But for me the highs of the movies vastly outweighed the lows.

There are damn few movies I consider to be perfect - as in I wouldn't change a thing even if I could. KK certainly isn't one of those. But still, I loved it.

I wonder how long the director's cut DVD will be? :eek:

siberian khatru
12-19-2005, 09:51 PM
I wonder how long the director's cut DVD will be? :eek:

It's funny you say that, because I've joked to folks that I felt like I was watching the director's cut. :)

Frazod
12-19-2005, 09:58 PM
It's funny you say that, because I've joked to folks that I felt like I was watching the director's cut. :)

I didn't think it was too long. But I bought into it from the beginning, and I must admit that I easily lose myself in movies that I really like.

I'll certainly go see this again at least once, and buy the DVD the day it comes out.

Logical
12-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Jesus, Jim, is there anything that you DON'T hate? :shake:When it comes to movies I love tons of them LOTR series, SW series, Harry Potter series the list goes on and on. This movie was easily an hour too long and the acting was putrid. They could have had one maybe two dinosaur fights, cut a half hour off the tramp steamer opening, cut out about a 1/3 of Jack Black's dialogue, completely eliminated the man eating penis scene, cut the bug scenes to less than a couple of minutes they were shit as far as realistic was concerned. Cut the cannibal based sequences by at least half. I have little doubt that the final hour could have used some major cuts but I cannot be sure it was so monontonous to that point my son and I walked out unanimous that it was hopeless and was not going to get better.

By the way I love movies in general and go to at least one usually two most every weekend.

siberian khatru
12-19-2005, 10:01 PM
I must admit that I easily lose myself in movies that I really like.

Me too. I was that way with the LOTR trilogy. I just didn't get the same satisfaction from this PJ project. And my expectations weren't as high with KK as they were with LOTR.

:shrug:

Logical
12-19-2005, 10:04 PM
holy ****ing crap. Man eating penis?

Did I read that?That is sure as hell what it looked like, I don't know what the hell it was really supposed to be, thing came out of it's foreskin and gulped up the guys head.:shake:

Amnorix
12-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Agreed, but I was more attracted to her than to Arwen.

Ditto. I intensely disliked what they did with Arwen in the movies, although I do understand WHY they did what they did. That spilled over into disliking seeing so much of Liv Tyler. (not something I'd normally object to...)

Frazod
When it comes to movies I love tons of them LOTR series, SW series, Harry Potter series the list goes on and on. This movie was easily an hour too long and the acting was putrid. They could have had one maybe two dinosaur fights, cut a half hour off the tramp steamer opening, cut out about a 1/3 of Jack Black's dialogue, completely eliminated the man eating penis scene, cut the bug scenes to less than a couple of minutes they were shit as far as realistic was concerned. Cut the cannibal based sequences by at least half. I have little doubt that the final hour could have used some major cuts but I cannot be sure it was so monontonous to that point my son and I walked out unanimous that it was hopeless and was not going to get better.

To each his own, I guess.

I thought this was much better than the last Harry Potter movie, which really dissappointed me.

JBucc
That is sure as hell what it looked like, I don't know what the hell it was really supposed to be, thing came out of it's foreskin and gulped up the guys head.:shake:
now I have to see it

Halfcan
12-19-2005, 10:07 PM
I didn't think it was too long. But I bought into it from the beginning, and I must admit that I easily lose myself in movies that I really like.

I'll certainly go see this again at least once, and buy the DVD the day it comes out.

I couldn't agree more. I was so pumped up to see this flick-it just pulled me in. Give PJ credit-Kong was fantastic. If you have ever seen silverbacks live and in person-he nailed it.

This movie is picking up steam-it should be at 150 mil domestic by the end of the week.

Frazod
12-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Me too. I was that way with the LOTR trilogy. I just didn't get the same satisfaction from this PJ project. And my expectations weren't as high with KK as they were with LOTR.

:shrug:

As long as I don't have to sit cross-legged for the last half hour because I have to piss, I don't find a movie to be too long.

The last movie I saw that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long? Return of the King. That should have ended with everybody bowing to the hobbits - yes, I know the book is different, but for the movie, it would have been perfect. Instead, we got another 40 minutes of pointless, overraught, no action crap while my teeth were floating. :grr:

Amnorix
12-19-2005, 10:11 PM
I agree it should've been shorter. At least half an hour shorter. Chop out the whole bug/man-eating penis (ROFL) scnee, trim down some junk on the boat, forget the stupid, choppy slow-mo scenes which always annoy me, and that'd be more than 15 minutes right there.

Other scenes that annoyed me, without being too spoilerish -- a thingy (how's that for vague) that chased Ann even though it's mouth was already full of food. So now it's not just a critter trying to eat, but actively evil? Dumb. No critter in the world ignores a mouth full of food to chase after a scrawny little size 4 chick.

and the stampede was overdone.

Oh well, still liked it alot though. Really can't imagine a director's cut. How about a "producer's cut", where they trim out some of the fat that the director, being omnipotent, got to keep... :)

siberian khatru
12-19-2005, 10:11 PM
To each his own, I guess.

I thought this was much better than the last Harry Potter movie, which really dissappointed me.

Hah! I thought the new Harry Potter movie was easily the best one yet!

Alas, my friend, it appears that on movies you and I have come to this:

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/images/FranGorshinLastBattlefieldST.jpg

Frazod
12-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Hah! I thought the new Harry Potter movie was easily the best one yet!

Alas, my friend, it appears that on movies you and I have come to this:

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/images/FranGorshinLastBattlefieldST.jpg

I don't think the sound setting were right in the theater when I saw it (my wife, who has much better hearing than me, said the same thing). Between that and the cockney accents, I had a very hard time following the story. That's the main reason I didn't enjoy it as much as the other three.

Perhaps I'll have better luck with the DVD.

Logical
12-19-2005, 10:22 PM
I don't think the sound setting were right in the theater when I saw it (my wife, who has much better hearing than me, said the same thing). Between that and the cockney accents, I had a very hard time following the story. That's the main reason I didn't enjoy it as much as the other three.

Perhaps I'll have better luck with the DVD.I do think you are right about that, having read the book I was able to understand it but the sound was not up to snuff.

Frazod
12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I still think Harry's too much of a puss. He seemed to be coming out of it a bit in the third movie, but digressed in the fourth.

Logical
12-19-2005, 10:36 PM
I still think Harry's too much of a puss. He seemed to be coming out of it a bit in the third movie, but digressed in the fourth.I feel that is more the actor that may cause that perception, in the books I have never thought of him as a puss.

Frazod
12-19-2005, 10:41 PM
I feel that is more the actor that may cause that perception, in the books I have never thought of him as a puss.

I've never read any of the books.

Logical
12-19-2005, 10:45 PM
I've never read any of the books.IMO they are much better than the movies, though I enjoy the movies. The next book in the series for the movies is so dark I am not sure how they will be able to make it into a movie.

Frazod
12-19-2005, 10:47 PM
IMO they are much better than the movies, though I enjoy the movies. The next book in the series for the movies is so dark I am not sure how they will be able to make it into a movie.

I've heard that - it's just really difficult for me to get into the book once I've seen the movie. I think the only exception to that is The Godfather.

Katipan
12-19-2005, 10:48 PM
This is the sexiest conversation on the Planet.

JBucc
12-19-2005, 10:48 PM
I stopped reading the Harry Potter books after the second one.Well actually I just stopped reading books alltogether. I really should catch up on them sometime.

Miles
12-19-2005, 11:05 PM

Not like you have missed much, unless you enjoy watching him somehow making each new movie more of a train wreck than the previous one.

Halfcan
12-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Harry Potter bores the shit out of me. Talk about needing some editing. The next book is supposed to log in at 2000 pages.

Halfcan
12-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Give or take 1k-haha

Logical
12-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Harry Potter bores the shit out of me. Talk about needing some editing. The next book is supposed to log in at 2000 pages.ROFL You need to quit paying attention to rumors.

Halfcan
12-19-2005, 11:45 PM
ROFL You need to quit paying attention to rumors.

Those books have been getting bigger and more expensive-she had a nifty idea that made her a bizilionaire-but move on. How many is she going to put out straight to movie?

That little geek isn't getting any younger-she better type faster. The last book will be an ultimate battle between good and evil with Harry saving the world from his broomstick-yawn....ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Logical
12-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Those books have been getting bigger and more expensive-she had a nifty idea that made her a bizilionaire-but move on. How many is she going to put out straight to movie?

That little geek isn't getting any younger-she better type faster. The last book will be an ultimate battle between good and evil with Harry saving the world from his broomstick-yawn....ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZ10 to 1 you have not read the last two books. Anyone who could be jazzed about KK really should not be criticizing quality literature that is already being categorized as a set of classics.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 11:52 PM
How many is she going to put out straight to movie?

She's done with the HP books.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 11:52 PM
I think I'm going to read all 7 after they release the last movie.

Miles
12-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I've heard that - it's just really difficult for me to get into the book once I've seen the movie. I think the only exception to that is The Godfather.

I usually tend to visualize shit as it happend in the movie with all the charactors also being like that. I still enjoy reading something after the movie but its definitly not the same at all.

Logical
12-20-2005, 12:02 AM
She's done with the HP books.Not only that but none have gone straight to the movies, I have no idea where he got that idea.

Halfcan
12-20-2005, 12:55 AM
10 to 1 you have not read the last two books. Anyone who could be jazzed about KK really should not be criticizing quality literature that is already being categorized as a set of classics.

King Kong was a classic long before HP. I read the first HP book to my kids, and tried on the second. It is very British/long winded. After that, the kids read a couple of them, but it just got a little too strange. I mean they were good-but it got old fast after the first movie. Do you really need 7??

I was pumped because it reminded me of some great memories as a kid. The 70's version was awesome-but this one is just so much better.

Just like HP, Star Wars, LOR, KK pulls you into the story.

Halfcan
12-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Dang this thread was buried so far down I almost couldn't find it.

Just wanted to say I saw KK again today at work on DVD. Someone bootleged it from the movies-it was a little dark, but not bad quality.

Have you guys ever broke copyright laws like that??

JBucc
12-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Dang this thread was buried so far down I almost couldn't find it.

Just wanted to say I saw KK again today at work on DVD. Someone bootleged it from the movies-it was a little dark, but not bad quality.

I've downloaded some stuff, but as far as bootlegged stuff, I really don't see a point since most movies come out with the DVD like the day after release it seems like.

4th and Long
12-20-2005, 09:38 PM
I've downloaded some stuff
Nice quick edit on that post JBucc. ROFL

JBucc
12-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Nice quick edit on that post JBucc. ROFL
i'm sorry I don't know what you're talking about

Hammock Parties
12-20-2005, 09:40 PM

IT'S JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

4th and Long
12-20-2005, 09:42 PM
i'm sorry I don't know what you're talking about
Really? Would you like me to edit back in the "illegeally" part or the "if you know where to get it" part for you? :D

Deberg_1990
12-20-2005, 09:43 PM
I really don't see a point since most movies come out with the DVD like the day after release it seems like.

That day is actually not very far off i believe. Today, "Serenity" was released 3 months after it debuted in theaters. There are rumors that Kong will be on DVD by April. I think in the next 5 years or so, we will start to see movies released on DVD the same date as the theatrical release date. Revenues from DVD's now surpass theatrical revenues.

JBucc
12-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Really? Would you like me to edit back in the "illegeally" part or the "if you know where to get it" part for you? :DI can neither confirm nor deny allleged phrases possibly edited in my previous statement

Halfcan
12-20-2005, 09:51 PM
That day is actually not very far off i believe. Today, "Serenity" was released 3 months after it debuted in theaters. There are rumors that Kong will be on DVD by April. I think in the next 5 years or so, we will start to see movies released on DVD the same date as the theatrical release date. Revenues from DVD's now surpass theatrical revenues.

Movie theaters were trying to crack down on this-but I guess they gave up. I mean this is the biggest movie of the year and this one was playing in the break room. The guy said he burned it off the web.

I can get you a copy for real cheap-lol

Logical
12-20-2005, 11:44 PM
King Kong was a classic long before HP. I read the first HP book to my kids, and tried on the second. It is very British/long winded. After that, the kids read a couple of them, but it just got a little too strange. I mean they were good-but it got old fast after the first movie. Do you really need 7??

I was pumped because it reminded me of some great memories as a kid. The 70's version was awesome-but this one is just so much better.

Just like HP, Star Wars, LOR, KK pulls you into the story.

I was talking about the book, you seemed to be comparing this movie with the Harry Potter book series. To be honest I have never read the KK book so I cannot comment on it. If it is as corny and campy as the movies (I have now seen three versions) then no thanks.

As to your last statement HP, Star Wars and LOR all pulled me in, not for a second was I drawn in by KK. I blame a lot of that on the script, but mostly on the actors under the control of director that is so engulged in CGI he forgets about making a coherent movie.

Halfcan
03-05-2006, 11:42 PM
BUMB- just for Vlad

Hammock Parties
03-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Did Kong win any awards? It deserved best special effects, easily.

Logical
03-05-2006, 11:53 PM
By the way it was not at all a huge hit. It ended ranking only 52 on the all time movie receipt list at $216.7M

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

Logical
03-05-2006, 11:54 PM

It got Special Effects, Sound Mixing and some other sound award.

Miles
03-05-2006, 11:54 PM

Two in sound and one for visual effects.

Hammock Parties
03-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Excellent.

Halfcan
03-06-2006, 12:01 AM
By the way it was not at all a huge hit. It ended ranking only 52 on the all time movie receipt list at $216.7M

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

Excellent point-it kind of fizzled out. Length of the movie probably hurt.

Frazod
03-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Excellent.

Doesn't bother you that it beat out Star Wars? :)

Halfcan
03-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Two in sound and one for visual effects.

The acadamy wanted to make a statement this year instead of giving it the best movie. Crash was good, but not the best.

05-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Saw this for the first time. AWFUL!!!!

keg in kc
05-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Excellent point-it kind of fizzled out. Length of the movie probably hurt.I'm thinking quality and word-of-mouth probably hurt more.

Halfcan
05-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow King Kong lives-lol

05-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow King Kong lives-lol
ROFL Well... no. But in this case....

greg63
05-05-2007, 02:23 AM

The only real problem I had with it was that the beating her body took while being handled by Kong would have killed her, but then we're talking about a movie with the natives being about the only believable realistic part.

Miles
05-05-2007, 02:47 AM

My detailed and thought out review of this movie...piece of shit.

chagrin
05-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I heard this movie was a total dog, never saw it, never will. I like the old Black and White ones and the one with Jeff Bridges, Jessica (giggitty) Lang, and others - when the acting was good the effects didn't override everything else.

kcmaxwell
05-05-2007, 08:40 AM
i thought it was pretty cool... when he fought the three t-rex's was craziness!!
maxwell

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I heard this movie was a total dog, never saw it, never will. I like the old Black and White ones and the one with Jeff Bridges, Jessica (giggitty) Lang, and others - when the acting was good the effects didn't override everything else.

It was most certainly better than that 1976 DOG with Bridges and Lange. That SUCKED.

This version stayed true to the original and while too long (3 hours?), the Skull Island segment was worth the price of admission alone. Movie of the year? No. Entertaining (if you're in the right mood)? Definitely.

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2007, 11:15 AM
It sucked. Out loud, even.

Bowser
05-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I'll probably check this one out right after I get around to watching Titanic.

Fairplay
05-05-2007, 02:56 PM
That movie was god awful. Don't waste your time watching it if you havn't seen it.