PDA

View Full Version : Scott Elarton on verge of signing 2 yr deal with Royals

cmh6476
12-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Former Rockies starter Scott Elarton is on the verge of signing a two-year deal with the Kansas City Royals

Posted December 15, by Ben Maller
Discuss in the Forums | Link

www.benmaller.com

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3309804

JBucc
12-15-2005, 10:12 AM
who?

cmh6476
12-15-2005, 10:12 AM
also from benmaller:

Although the Royals obtained Esteban German from the Texas Rangers during the Winter Meetings, they still are "aggressively" pursuing ex-Cardinal Mark Grudzielanek as a starting second baseman. Baird is offering a one-year deal, but Grudzielanek wants a multiyear contract. The Royals have lesser interest in Tony Graffanino.

Posted December 14, by Ben Maller
Discuss in the Forums | Link

Eleazar
12-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Grudzielanek would be an upgrade.

cmh6476
12-15-2005, 10:18 AM
who?

a pitcher who got light up out in colorado. Won 11 with the tribe a year ago.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/e/elartsc01.shtml

ChiTown
12-15-2005, 10:19 AM
OMG!

This guy gives up a TON of HR's. He gave up 32 dingers in Cleveland last year. geezuskriste. He's an inning chewer, but this is scary.

cmh6476
12-15-2005, 10:23 AM
OMG!

This guy gives up a TON of HR's. He gave up 32 dingers in Cleveland last year. geezuskriste. He's an inning chewer, but this is scary.
and this is different from the norm how exactly? :shrug:

Dartgod
12-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Yeah, seems like he "fits the profile".

ChiTown
12-15-2005, 10:33 AM

Greinke pitched the exact number of innings as Elarton and gave up about 10 fewer HR's. Scott Elarton would be our new Jose Lima (Lima gave up 31 dingers in 168 innings - HORRIBLE).

This just wouldn't be a very exciting move.

cmh6476
12-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Greinke pitched the exact number of innings as Elarton and gave up about 10 fewer HR's. Scott Elarton would be our new Jose Lima (Lima gave up 31 dingers in 168 innings - HORRIBLE).

This just wouldn't be a very exciting move.it just wouldnt be royals baseball w/o someone like that on the roster.

siberian khatru
12-15-2005, 10:44 AM

This just wouldn't be a very exciting move.

It's not exciting, but I don't think it's that bad.

I think you're wrong about Elarton being the next Lima. Elarton's hit ratio is much, much better. He also has a better K/BB ratio.

As for the HRs, Elarton gave up 21 of his 32 homers at home.
Lima gave up only 9 of his 31 homers in KC.

(I don't have park effects tables handy, so I can't break that down further.)

Elarton was on my short list of affordable vets who could give us more quality starts than the kids we rushed to the majors. So I'm predispostioned to support the move.

beavis
12-15-2005, 10:46 AM
it just wouldnt be royals baseball w/o someone like that on the roster.
Don't you mean 3 or 4 people like that on the roster?

Thig Lyfe
12-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Start printing playoff tickets?

AndChiefs
12-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Already have those playoff tix ordered.

bkkcoh
12-15-2005, 12:31 PM
i would rather have a younger pitcher on the roster with more potential talent than an oldie.

If they are going with the youth movement, go with the youth movement....

sedated
12-15-2005, 12:39 PM
This guy gives up a TON of HR's. He gave up 32 dingers in Cleveland last year.

it'll be different in the prairie known as the K

...and I thought he was in colorado last year

siberian khatru
12-15-2005, 01:11 PM
i would rather have a younger pitcher on the roster with more potential talent than an oldie.

I think you have to be more careful with young pitchers. They get their brains beat in every time, many lose confidence. They become too much in awe of big league hitters, won't be aggressive. I'm of the old school thought, that it's better to break young pitchers in in middle relief than giving them 25-30 starts so they can pile up shitty innings on their arms while suffering ERAs over 5.00.

We have several pitchers who should've been in AAA last year. We jump too many from AA to the majors. I have no problem bringing in a couple of veterans to try to stabilize the rotation -- by that, I mean keep their ERAs under 5.00 and throw 175-200 innings. So long as they're reasonably cheap.

Deberg_1990
12-15-2005, 01:13 PM
WooHoo! sign me up for World Series tickets right now!!

bkkcoh
12-15-2005, 01:16 PM
I think you have to be more careful with young pitchers. They get their brains beat in every time, many lose confidence. They become too much in awe of big league hitters, won't be aggressive. I'm of the old school thought, that it's better to break young pitchers in in middle relief than giving them 25-30 starts so they can pile up shitty innings on their arms while suffering ERAs over 5.00.

But the Royals seem to not be making any real progress by getting in the re-treads. I understand that you have to be careful with young pitchers, but the path the Royals are on isn't working either and I see it as more of the same old, same old.

We have several pitchers who should've been in AAA last year. We jump too many from AA to the majors. I have no problem bringing in a couple of veterans to try to stabilize the rotation -- by that, I mean keep their ERAs under 5.00 and throw 175-200 innings. So long as they're reasonably cheap.

It seems as if AA is a quick launching pad to the majors any more with AAA being a place to re-hab and injury filling.

tk13
12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Not a very thrilling signing but it's an arm. Actually he was a pretty highly thought of prospect at one time in the Astros system. Colorado cured him of that status though.

Greinke
Hernandez
Redman
Elarton
Affeldt/Bautista/Howell

There you go. We have some starters to work with now. Then again, I thought the Lima signing last year would be one who could give us 180 innings an a 4.75 ERA.

Supposedly we are going after Grudzielanek.. and they're also taking a look at Doug Mientkiewicz at 1B. That would certainly make us a much, much better defensive team... and give us the hardest infield to spell in the history of baseball.

sedated
12-15-2005, 06:30 PM
More like this:
1. Hernandez
2. Grienke
3. Bautista
(4. Carrasco - damnit!)
4. Howell
5. Affeldt

Sure-Oz
12-15-2005, 06:46 PM
innings eater, should help, better than lima!

Reaper16
12-15-2005, 06:49 PM
More like this:
1. Hernandez
2. Grienke
3. Bautista
(4. Carrasco - damnit!)
4. Howell
5. Affeldt
Carrasco was sold to a Japanese team.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-15-2005, 06:51 PM

he turns 30 in February so he still has some years ahead of him if he gets everything together. He had a 1 or 2 good years with the Astros so I'll be rooting for him.

siberian khatru
12-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Supposedly we are going after Grudzielanek.. and they're also taking a look at Doug Mientkiewicz at 1B. That would certainly make us a much, much better defensive team... and give us the hardest infield to spell in the history of baseball.

Maybe we could talk Doug Gwosdz out of retirement to play C.