PDA

View Full Version : KC Dining

trndobrd
12-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Trndogirl and I are headed to Kansas City for a weekend get away. We are staying at the Crown Center Hyatt. I need some ideas for dining. Something casual for Friday night and something a little more upscale for Saturday night. I also need a good sports bar for Saturday around 4pm. I'm planning on lunch at Gates on Saturday.

Suggestions?

Hammock Parties
12-16-2005, 12:08 PM
The worst restaurant in San Francisco is better than the best restaurant in Kansas City.

ptlyon
12-16-2005, 12:09 PM
The worst restaurant in San Francisco is better than the best restaurant in Kansas City.

Oh baby, this one's gonna go yard

trndobrd
12-16-2005, 12:09 PM

Not true. I've eaten at the worst restaurant in San Francisco.

Fire Me Boy!
12-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, damn... I clicked on this thread to suggest Gates on Friday night.

If you like seafood, McCormick and Schmitts at 47th and Pennsylvania (I think) on the Plaza is great -- fresh seafood flown in daily. Hit Plaza III and you might find DV or CP...

KCTitus
12-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Ok, I'll do it...

You should ask Steve Bono for recommendations.

edit: ack...the goach beat me to the joke.

trndobrd
12-16-2005, 12:15 PM

If you like seafood, McCormick and Schmitts at 47th and Pennsylvania (I think) on the Plaza is great -- fresh seafood flown in daily. Hit Plaza III and you might find DV or CP...

That would be cool to see DV or CP on Saturday night, but I would rather they go to the game.

SLAG
12-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Trndogirl and I are headed to Kansas City for a weekend get away. We are staying at the Crown Center Hyatt. I need some ideas for dining. Something casual for Friday night and something a little more upscale for Saturday night. I also need a good sports bar for Saturday around 4pm. I'm planning on lunch at Gates on Saturday.

Suggestions?

upscale is right above your heads.....

SKY'S DINING ROOM

is ontop of the Crown Center and Is very Upscale and has a rotating floor

Very Cool!

You wont be Disappointed

htismaqe
12-16-2005, 12:17 PM

Excellent work, Steve.

Hammock Parties
12-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Excellent work, Steve.

BonoRules

htismaqe
12-16-2005, 12:19 PM

It's actually McCormick and Schmick's and it's a chain. That being said, the one I ate at in Reston, Virginia was one of the best seafood restaurants I've ever eaten at...

Fire Me Boy!
12-16-2005, 12:19 PM
That would be cool to see DV or CP on Saturday night, but I would rather they go to the game.
Heh... oh yeah.

Although... if DV were not there, I'm sure our clock management would be better.

Fire Me Boy!
12-16-2005, 12:20 PM
It's actually McCormick and Schmick's and it's a chain. That being said, the one I ate at in Reston, Virginia was one of the best seafood restaurants I've ever eaten at...
I knew it was a chain, and I also thought "Schmitt's" didn't sound right... but yes. Excellent food.

Iowanian
12-16-2005, 12:21 PM
I don't know about the fancy schmancy places as much....there is the plaza III.

The Herford House? and Mortons are both within walking distance of the Hyatt. Gojo Japanese steakhouse is down on Broadway.

Staying at the Hyatt, there is the restaruant that spins at the top. I think its kind of hoity toity. I've only been there for desert, or drinks in the evening watching the sun go down after dinner.

trndobrd
12-16-2005, 12:22 PM

SKY'S DINING ROOM

Very Cool!

You wont be Disappointed

I had looked at that online. It seemed a little pricey (hotel restaurants always seem a little steep) plus I wanted to get away from the hotel a little bit.

I was also thinking of Garozzos north.

SLAG
12-16-2005, 12:23 PM
I had looked at that online. It seemed a little pricey (hotel restaurants always seem a little steep) plus I wanted to get away from the hotel a little bit.

I was also thinking of Garozzos north.

Garozzos Is EXCELLENT

chiefqueen
12-16-2005, 12:26 PM
JackStack BBQ is better than Gates IMO but good luck getting in there on a Fri. night.

jynni
12-16-2005, 12:26 PM
There are a ton of good places on the Plaza. Though this time of year you'll need a reservation or you'll have to wait for three hours. At night the Plaza is packed because several stores are open until 9 PM and the Christmas lights are something of a tourist attraction.

Dartgod
12-16-2005, 12:33 PM
I'd skip Gates for lunch and hit Fiorella's Jack Stack instead. There's one close by and it's much better, IMO.

Fiorella's Jack Stack - Freight House
22nd & Wyandotte Street, Just north of Union Station
101 West 22nd Street, Suite 300, Kansas City, MO 64108
(816) 472-7427

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_8

trndobrd
12-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I don't know about the fancy schmancy places as much....there is the plaza III.

The Herford House? and Mortons are both within walking distance of the Hyatt. Gojo Japanese steakhouse is down on Broadway.

Staying at the Hyatt, there is the restaruant that spins at the top. I think its kind of hoity toity. I've only been there for desert, or drinks in the evening watching the sun go down after dinner.

Hereford House sounds good. Trndobrd likey the prime rib.

Boozer
12-16-2005, 12:44 PM
The quality of a restaurant is inversely proportional to the speed at which it rotates.

Donger
12-16-2005, 12:46 PM
The quality of a restaurant is inversely proportional to the speed at which it rotates.

It's a good thing that the same isn't true when it comes to beds and sex.

BigRedChief
12-16-2005, 12:49 PM

SKY'S DINING ROOM

Very Cool!

You wont be Disappointed

The food there is so average. Don't eat there but go there for drinks and look at the city lights in a 360 view. Very cool place.

The resteraunt that is in Crown center has a very good Sunday brunch buffett. We ate there once. Just about every kind of food imaginable.

Foget Gates and go to the Smokestack in the freight house district.

funk monkey
12-16-2005, 12:51 PM
EBC...its off some exit on i 435...forget which one...its really expensive tho....by the way

MY 100TH POST!!!!

BigRedChief
12-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Hereford House sounds good. Trndobrd likey the prime rib.

Theres a great steak house in Union Station right across from there. You can walk the skyway over to it from Crown center.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2005, 12:52 PM
The Melting Pot. Fondue restaurant, its on the plaza.

Strawberries+chocolate=aphrodesiac.

Boozer
12-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Theres a great steak house in Union Station right across from there. You can walk the skyway over to it from Crown center.
I think that's owned by the same people who run HH.

jynni
12-16-2005, 12:56 PM
The Melting Pot. Fondue restaurant, its on the plaza.

Strawberries+chocolate=aphrodesiac.
That's a great dessert place. A few people I know weren't too impressed with the dinner set up - but I've been for dessert and that was just heaven.

Death Nebula
12-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Best restaurant in town in my opinion.....The City Tavern....great atmosphere (classy joint)...great food...and its real close to crown center.....just north of the tracks in the crossroads district.....

Hoover
12-16-2005, 12:59 PM
I'd go to gats its close

BigRedChief
12-16-2005, 01:00 PM
I think that's owned by the same people who run HH.

Peirponts?

Death Nebula
12-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Heres the all the info you will ever need....

http://www.360kc.com/Restaurants/CityTavern.html

Dartgod
12-16-2005, 01:02 PM
I'd go to gats its close
Isn't Jack Stack closer?

Hoover
12-16-2005, 01:06 PM
yes.....

I went to both, hell your staying over night.

ptlyon
12-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Good thing we got that cleared up.

I was wondering who to believe, the guy who lives there or the guy that appears to like his food.

Dartgod
12-16-2005, 01:18 PM

I was wondering who to believe, the guy who lives there or the guy that appears to like his food.
I'm both guys.

BigRedChief
12-16-2005, 01:28 PM

You met me? Seen pics of me on here? I'm fully qualified on both counts. BTW, I prefer horizontally challenged to fat azz.

ptlyon
12-16-2005, 01:33 PM
You met me? Seen pics of me on here?

Never met you but have seen the pics.

Yeah, I'd be wanting to beat you to the buffet...

BigRedChief
12-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I'd be wanting to beat you to the buffet...

nlm that.

I may be horizontally challenged but I'm still light on my feet.

Nzoner
12-16-2005, 03:41 PM
If you like Italian as well as breakfast items,fresh fruit and the like I highly recommend Figlio's Sunday brunch on the plaza (http://www.countryclubplaza.com/plaza.aspx?pgID=882&newsID=54&exCompID=191)

Skip Towne
12-16-2005, 03:48 PM
I'd go to gats its close
yeah, but it sucks.

sedated
12-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Anyplace on the plaza is good, plus you can walk around, gives you something to do (if you like the cold weather).

try this link for complete list of restaurants, plus a map:

http://www.countryclubplaza.com/plaza.aspx?pgID=866&newsID=17&exCompID=59

If you're in Overland Park, try J. Gilbert's steakhouse. Very Good

trndobrd
12-16-2005, 04:11 PM
I must've missed you returning from the desert.

Or, I was drunk.

Welcome back.

Thanks. Now that I'm back can you do something about fixing my name?

BigRedChief
12-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Haha... I'd love to. Unfortunately, my admin powers are messed up at the moment. I'll see if I can get one of the other guys to help you out.

Got put on probation huh? :p

trndobrd
12-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Haha... I'd love to. Unfortunately, my admin powers are messed up at the moment. I'll see if I can get one of the other guys to help you out.

Thanks. You said that Phobia would be able to fix it. But....well, he probably isn't going to get to it right away.

BigRedChief
12-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Supposedly it was an accident.

An accident that Kyle seems to have a lot of trouble fixing.

I'm not so sure...

Kyle's having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get a breathlizer hooked up to start admin rights huh? :)