PDA

View Full Version : We need to commit more than a few years to a new coach.

Red Dawg
12-19-2005, 09:16 AM
I don't want another DV experiment type of WIN NOW. We need to find a youg successful DC, let him pick all the coaches, and stick with him. Let'em really build the team.

Brock
12-19-2005, 09:27 AM
You don't keep a coach in place for any more than 5 years these days. Not unless he has won you Super Bowls. The next guy won't get a pass just because he's new and inherits a bad team.

siberian khatru
12-19-2005, 09:29 AM
You can go back 30 years -- ALL the Super Bowl winners were coached by guys who'd been there 5 years or less (as for multiple winners like Gibbs, they won their first w/in their first 5 years with the team).

joesomebody
12-19-2005, 09:52 AM
What about Chucky? He won one his first year with the team and hasn't done crap since...

I think it just depends on the situation on how long a coach should stay.

I can't decide if I want a proven HC or someone completely new to the NFL, like a college coach.

chagrin
12-19-2005, 09:56 AM
And Chucky is in his 4th or 5th year now, right?

siberian khatru
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
What about Chucky? He won one his first year with the team and hasn't done crap since...

I think it just depends on the situation on how long a coach should stay.

I can't decide if I want a proven HC or someone completely new to the NFL, like a college coach.

He won. Period. Exclamation point. Emoticon.

I would give my left nut to have a new coach come in here, win a Super Bowl his first year, then "not do crap" the next three or four years. Hell yes.

Brock
12-19-2005, 10:05 AM

Uh, looks like they're going to the playoffs again this year. And that with a very raw QB.

BigRedChief
12-19-2005, 10:08 AM

I would give my left nut to have a new coach come in here, win a Super Bowl his first year, then "not do crap" the next three or four years. Hell yes.

No chit man. Sign me up for that plan also.

Baby Lee
12-19-2005, 10:16 AM

I've seen this phrase for years, and no one has told me, WHERE is this principality where emancipated testes are currency?

joesomebody
12-19-2005, 10:16 AM
I guess.

I'd love to win a super bowl in my lifetime, but what do you do afterwards... I don't think I would enjoy being a pat's fan. You team suddenly becomes this hype machine, every fan gets looked at like they are band wagon fans, and what is there to look forward to after winning it all.

I guess this makes no since, but I enjoy being in the hunt, I love following my team, especially when they are playing well and have a legitimate chance. What happens when they win it? Yeah there is a ticker tape parade, life is great and all that, but what then? I'm guessing its anti-climatic. This is probably the stupidist post in Planet history, but whats next after a superbowl? You have a coach that has a lifetime pass, a bunch of overhyped players, and then you have some bragging rights in the division until someone else wins one...

I don't know whats up with this post, yeah I want to win one, but I guess I don't need them to anytime soon.

Chris Meck
12-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I think it's important to realize that whoever the new coach is, he's not inheriting a BAD TEAM. He's inheriting a pretty good team, just not an elite one.

there is no need (and in fact, I think it would be incredibly foolish) to scrap the offensive system-it's in place, it works, and all of the key people are there to run it well. Some are at the end of their careers, it's true, but I think you draft for their nearing retirements, and you move on.

It's based on a system that has worked at the NFL level for over 40 years. Clearly, it's not a flash in the pan.

It's the defense that needs to be overhauled, yet again. There are certainly talent issues, and wasted draft pick issues, and under-achievement issues, and bad fundamentals issues. I don't know what happened to Gun, but this doesn't look like a Gunther Cunningham defense. It looks like a watered down hybrid Gun/Grob thing. Maybe he was really handicapped by being forced to keep the same assistants?

I don't know. But hiring a younger, defensive minded coach-This Tim Lewis guy looks to have the pedigree-and having him hire an OC that runs THIS system (and come on, I don't think it'd be hard to convince him) would be ideal.

There's no need to scrap it all and endure a few 1-15 seasons. We're damned close. RE-load, don't RE-Build.

Just my .02

Chris

chagrin
12-19-2005, 10:36 AM
I guess.

I'd love to win a super bowl in my lifetime, but what do you do afterwards... I don't think I would enjoy being a pat's fan. You team suddenly becomes this hype machine, every fan gets looked at like they are band wagon fans, and what is there to look forward to after winning it all.

I guess this makes no since, but I enjoy being in the hunt, I love following my team, especially when they are playing well and have a legitimate chance. What happens when they win it? Yeah there is a ticker tape parade, life is great and all that, but what then? I'm guessing its anti-climatic. This is probably the stupidist post in Planet history, but whats next after a superbowl? You have a coach that has a lifetime pass, a bunch of overhyped players, and then you have some bragging rights in the division until someone else wins one...

I don't know whats up with this post, yeah I want to win one, but I guess I don't need them to anytime soon.

You mean, we will turn into the Flaming dicknose Donks fans'?

garcia bronco and milehighmania not included.

jspchief
12-19-2005, 10:38 AM
To me, it's not about expecting "win now". It's about expecting improvement.

Vermeil came in and brought the team to a certain level, but the team peaked in '03 and he has shown no ability to do what it takes to get this team to the next level.

As long as the next guy can show that he can make the team ascend, I can be patient. It's Vermeil's inability to get past his current obstacle that makes me ready to move on.

JBucc
12-19-2005, 10:39 AM
I'll give the guy, whoever it is, enough time as long as I feel he's improving the team and making good decisions on who to play

joesomebody
12-19-2005, 10:42 AM
You mean, we will turn into the Flaming dicknose Donks fans'?

garcia bronco and milehighmania not included.basically yes.

Amnorix
12-19-2005, 10:55 AM
And Chucky is in his 4th or 5th year now, right?

This is his 4th at TB. First year SB, two bad years, now this one.

KCTitus
12-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I guess this makes no [sense], but I enjoy being in the hunt, I love following my team, especially when they are playing well and have a legitimate chance. What happens when they win it? Yeah there is a ticker tape parade, life is great and all that, but what then? I'm guessing its anti-climatic. This is probably the stupidist post in Planet history, but whats next after a superbowl? You have a coach that has a lifetime pass, a bunch of overhyped players, and then you have some bragging rights in the division until someone else wins one...

An interesting phenomenon, yes, I have a friend who is a Patriots fan and we celebrated them winning in 2001 like no other time. By the time 2004 rolled around, he expressed some regret that it wasnt as fun this time around.

That's not to say I couldnt adjust and live through it anyway. :D

penchief
12-19-2005, 01:13 PM
It seems to me that to succeed in the NFL you have to have a head coach that holds his assistant coaches to the fire. Vermeil doesn't do that. Robinson sucked and Vermeil stood by him. We have a lot of bad coaching on this team. And we make a lot of bad gametime decisions. I admire Dick's loyalty but coaching in the NFL is about winning football games.

Jimmy Johnson just recently turned down an offer to coach again. I can't remember who it was that asked him but I would have turned them down, too. It was one of those really shitty organizations. But, just the fact that they asked him may indicate that he'd be willing to do so if the right job came along.

Let's go after Jimmy Johnson. We're a good organization with great fans and an above average facility. We've got more tradition than anyone in the AFC.

Plus, when it comes to our personnel we have a lot of pieces already in place. Any coach would love to step into a situation with LJ, Gonzalez, the Oline, and some of the younger players we have on defense.

Jimmy Johnson is a great talent evaluator/personnelman and a great motivator. Plus, he'll hold his assistants accountable. The dude hates losing.

Let's make a big time run at Jimmy Johnson. Let's sell him on the Chiefs. He'd love coaching in Arrowhead, IMO.

joesomebody
12-19-2005, 01:15 PM
It seems to me that to succeed in the NFL you have to have a head coach that holds his assistant coaches to the fire. Vermeil doesn't do that. Robinson sucked and Vermeil stood by him. We have a lot of bad coaching on this team. And we make a lot of bad gametime decisions. I admire Dick's loyalty but coaching in the NFL is about winning football games.

Jimmy Johnson just recently turned down an offer to coach again. I can't remember who it was that asked him but I would have turned them down, too. It was one of those really shitty organizations. But, just the fact that they asked him may indicate that he'd be willing to do so if the right job came along.

Let's go after Jimmy Johnson. We're a good organization with great fans and an above average facility. We've got more tradition than anyone in the AFC.

Plus, when it comes to our personnel we have a lot of pieces already in place. Any coach would love to step into a situation with LJ, Gonzalez, the Oline, and some of the younger players we have on defense.

Jimmy Johnson is a great talent evaluator/personnelman and a great motivator. Plus, he'll hold his assistants accountable. The dude hates losing.

Let's make a big time run at Jimmy Johnson. Let's sell him on the Chiefs. He'd love coaching in Arrowhead, IMO.Plus he has great hair. I'm in.

Brock
12-19-2005, 01:16 PM

Let's make a big time run at Jimmy Johnson. Let's sell him on the Chiefs. He'd love coaching in Arrowhead, IMO.

10 years ago called. They want their idea back.

penchief
12-19-2005, 02:21 PM
10 years ago called. They want their idea back.

:) Doesn't mean it's not a good idea now................does it?

TEX
12-19-2005, 02:25 PM

Jimmy Johnson was good BEFORE free agancy. He has not been that great since. Remember, he's the one who was responsible for bringing Dave Wandstat (sp?) to Miami. He also endorsed Norv Turner as a head coach.

cdcox
12-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I think it's important to realize that whoever the new coach is, he's not inheriting a BAD TEAM. He's inheriting a pretty good team, just not an elite one.

there is no need (and in fact, I think it would be incredibly foolish) to scrap the offensive system-it's in place, it works, and all of the key people are there to run it well. Some are at the end of their careers, it's true, but I think you draft for their nearing retirements, and you move on.

It's based on a system that has worked at the NFL level for over 40 years. Clearly, it's not a flash in the pan.

It's the defense that needs to be overhauled, yet again. There are certainly talent issues, and wasted draft pick issues, and under-achievement issues, and bad fundamentals issues. I don't know what happened to Gun, but this doesn't look like a Gunther Cunningham defense. It looks like a watered down hybrid Gun/Grob thing. Maybe he was really handicapped by being forced to keep the same assistants?

I don't know. But hiring a younger, defensive minded coach-This Tim Lewis guy looks to have the pedigree-and having him hire an OC that runs THIS system (and come on, I don't think it'd be hard to convince him) would be ideal.

There's no need to scrap it all and endure a few 1-15 seasons. We're damned close. RE-load, don't RE-Build.

Just my .02

Chris

We are not a bad team, but we are definitely an old team. Two of the positions that will have to be filled the soonest, QB and LT, are also two of the hardest to fill. There simply are not 32 starting-quality QB or LT in the league and we will need one of each in the next 3 years, quite possibly sooner. And it is not just a matter of reloading, we still have several weaknesses that are keeping us from being a top 5 team in the league. Until you are at that level, you aren't even sniffing a Superbowl. Existing weaknesses, an aging team, near-term needs at difficult to fill positions... I think this team gets worse before it gets better.

I agree we should keep the offensive system -- it has surpassed the WCO as the en vouge system in the league now -- but we will probably need someone new to run it as I expect Saunders to leave in the off season.

Chris Meck
12-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Saunders probably will leave, unless he gets the HC job.

Roaf has said he wants to play a couple more years. I see no drop-off in his play other than injury issues, which can happen to anyone. I say draft a replacement this year, and groom him. Learn from Big Willie.

Trent is getting up there, but you have to remember a couple of things:

a)it's not like he's a real scrambler-type QB, or that he is physically gifted at all really. He's a smart, accurate QB. I don't see any reason why he can't play at a high level a couple more years either. It IS time to find a young QB to groom, for sure. But not to just throw Green off to the side.

Shields will likely retire, since he almost did this year. This will hurt, but we should be able to find a G, for cryin' out loud. It ain't a premium position. Move Welbourn in, maybe that way he can hear the friggin' snap count.

I'm just saying that the 'aging' term really only applies to a handful of players; key players, yes, but it's not like we are old all over, and it's not like we're seeing poor play from those vets. I would think all of them save Shields would be back next year.

chris

tk13
12-19-2005, 04:45 PM
You can go back 30 years -- ALL the Super Bowl winners were coached by guys who'd been there 5 years or less (as for multiple winners like Gibbs, they won their first w/in their first 5 years with the team).
That's interesting. Mike Holmgren does have a legitimate shot at ending that streak this year.