PDA

View Full Version : Tony G - Here's what I'd do

B_Ambuehl
12-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm sure this thread is gonna piss a lot of people off but here's something to think about. Tony G. has already started pissing and moaning about wanting to finish his career on a winner. With the Chiefs looking poised to run off the guys responsible for their offense I don't see him getting any happier over the next couple of years, so here's what I'd do:

These last 2 games get Kris Wilson out there in Tony's spot and throw him the ball 10 times per game. If he looks even moderately successful and holds on to the ball trade Tony in the offseason for what you can get for him....I would think he'd be worth a #2 pick. Not only would that make Tony happy but it'd save much needed cap space and help start the youth movement on offense and that draft pick sure wouldn't hurt either. Additionally, I don't think you would lose much at all in production. Wilson is faster then Tony and can get open. All he needs is some confidence. Regardless, you're not gonna find out unless you get him the ball.

RedDread
12-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Tony has been pissed on by this organization repeatedly. He was asked to become a better blocking tight end and he has. Do not get rid of Gonzalez, just get him the damn ball more!

morphius
12-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Wilson is not a good blocker, so putting him out there will get someone killed.

Gonzo also has said that he will stay here because of Green, so don't be so premature.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Are we still working on the Kris Wilson project. The kid has had chances in games to get open. He only has FOUR career receptions. That is no mistake. He SUCKS. As far as entertaining Tony G, why, what could we get for him. No one is giving up good picks for a older TE.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I want Wilson to catch more balls, but I don't want Tony G to leave.

greg63
12-19-2005, 11:50 AM
You don't get rid of the best tight end in the game. IMO.

FringeNC
12-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Can Wilson block? Do we ever run when Wilson is in the game?

Ultra Peanut
12-19-2005, 11:54 AM
We should trade Gonzo out of pity and remorse.

Bob Dole
12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Actually, the appropriate draft to trade Tony G. was 2002 where we would have gotten maximum value and could have picked up Shockey instead of Simms.

NewChief
12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
One of the few highlights from last week was watching Tony G block. He had some absolutely amazing blocks where he was taking out 2-3 defensive players on runs.

greg63
12-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Wilson is not a good blocker, so putting him out there will get someone killed.

Gonzo also has said that he will stay here because of Green, so don't be so premature.
I think he has also been quoted as stating that he wants to end his career in KC.

StcChief
12-19-2005, 12:01 PM
TG is one of the bright spots on Chiefs.

Let's not turn into the Royals and start dumping good players.

Fire Me Boy!
12-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Is this Johnson&Johnson?

Hes and idiot.

philfree
12-19-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm sure this thread is gonna piss a lot of people off but here's something to think about. Tony G. has already started pissing and moaning about wanting to finish his career on a winner. With the Chiefs looking poised to run off the guys responsible for their offense I don't see him getting any happier over the next couple of years, so here's what I'd do:

These last 2 games get Kris Wilson out there in Tony's spot and throw him the ball 10 times per game. If he looks even moderately successful and holds on to the ball trade Tony in the offseason for what you can get for him....I would think he'd be worth a #2 pick. Not only would that make Tony happy but it'd save much needed cap space and help start the youth movement on offense and that draft pick sure wouldn't hurt either. Additionally, I don't think you would lose much at all in production. Wilson is faster then Tony and can get open. All he needs is some confidence. Regardless, you're not gonna find out unless you get him the ball.

Sooo..........? Does insanity run in your family or are you the first?

PhilFree:arrow:

B_Ambuehl
12-19-2005, 12:08 PM
How fair is it to keep Tony G. around here on a losing football team for 5 more years? Unless you people actually think things are going to improve in Kansas City between now and the time he's 35?

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 12:14 PM
How fair is it to keep Tony G. around here on a losing football team for 5 more years? Unless you people actually think things are going to improve in Kansas City between now and the time he's 35?

Why do you automatically assume we're going to suck?

philfree
12-19-2005, 12:16 PM

Fair? He's getting paid alot of money to play for the Chiefs :shake: This is ridiculous :shake:

chagrin
12-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Wow, it's cool that you have your opinion about it, but I have to agree with most everyone else here. Tony can out muscle dudes for the ball better than any other TE in the game, period. There is absolutely no reason to trade him.

morphius
12-19-2005, 12:21 PM
He also posted the thread saying how we were going to be cap hell next year.

Brock
12-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Who gives a shit about fair?

B_Ambuehl
12-19-2005, 12:26 PM

Think of the Cowboys, Titans, Bucs, Raiders, etc. Every team that ever assembles a team for a super bowl run generally ends up sucking for a minimum of 3-5 years at the end. This team was assembled exactly like that yet without the positive results. The good guys are too old and make too much money and ther'es not enough time or money to get and develop younger players.

Bob Dole
12-19-2005, 12:50 PM

Excellent point.

It's not like we've got a history of failure or anything...

Taco John
12-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Tony has no leverage to whine. Plus, he can go to another team and suck, or he can stick with the Chiefs for a Superbowl run.

greg63
12-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Think of the Cowboys, Titans, Bucs, Raiders, etc. Every team that ever assembles a team for a super bowl run generally ends up sucking for a minimum of 3-5 years at the end. This team was assembled exactly like that yet without the positive results. The good guys are too old and make too much money and ther'es not enough time or money to get and develop younger players.

Don't worry; the nice men in white coats will be along to fit you with a new jacket of your own, and take you to a wonderful new happy place with padded walls were you can no longer hurt yourself while having the advantage of some controlled substances that will quiet your mind and give the feeling of blissful euphoria. :D

greg63
12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Tony has no leverage to whine. Plus, he can go to another team and suck, or he can stick with the Chiefs for a Superbowl run.
Sorry TJ it is much too late for you. :D

Frankie
12-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Don't worry; the nice men in white coats will be along to fit you with a new jacket of your own, and take you to a wonderful new happy place with padded walls were you can no longer hurt yourself while having the advantage of some controlled substances that will quiet your mind and give the feeling of blissful euphoria. :D
:LOL:

Kclee
12-19-2005, 01:01 PM
How fair is it to keep Tony G. around here on a losing football team for 5 more years?

ROFL

Sorry, can't read with the tears in my eyes.

ROFL

Did you just say we should trade TG because it's not FAIR?

Seriously, what the hell has everyone been smoking today?

Frankie
12-19-2005, 01:02 PM
These last 2 games get Kris Wilson out there in Tony's spot and throw him the ball 10 times per game. If he looks even moderately successful and holds on to the ball trade Tony in the offseason for what you can get for him....I would think he'd be worth a #2 pick. .....
Even if we considered trading TG, askin any less than a mid to high 1st would be stupid.

sedated
12-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Tony G (along with LJ) is the only reason we have a hope of another good offensive year in 2006.

If the D improves to a respectable level, and Grandpa finally retires, we could be competetive

Rain Man
12-19-2005, 01:04 PM

No kidding. Shields is the only one I'm worried about from a retirement perspective, and this "old offense" is ranked #1 yet again. No one can deny that the defense is better with Surtain, Johnson, and the 2005 version of Kawika Mitchell. Put two stud defensive linemen on this team in the offseason, and I'll be making my reservations for wherever the following Super Bowl will be.

sedated
12-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Even if we considered trading TG, askin any less than a mid to high 1st would be stupid.

we'd be lucky to get a third round pick.

remember Dillon went to NE for a 2nd, and TG is old with a bid contract.

plus, with that many years left on his deal, the cap hit would be significant

philfree
12-19-2005, 01:10 PM
No kidding. Shields is the only one I'm worried about from a retirement perspective, and this "old offense" is ranked #1 yet again. No one can deny that the defense is better with Surtain, Johnson, and the 2005 version of Kawika Mitchell. Put two stud defensive linemen on this team in the offseason, and I'll be making my reservations for wherever the following Super Bowl will be.

Gosh......And I thought I was the only one around here to dare think such controversial thoughts.

You're not leading me on with that BBS Sarcasm are you? It's hard to pick that stuff out sometimes.

HemiEd
12-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Are we still working on the Kris Wilson project. The kid has had chances in games to get open. He only has FOUR career receptions. That is no mistake. He SUCKS. As far as entertaining Tony G, why, what could we get for him. No one is giving up good picks for a older TE.

Your and idiot. This is essentially his rookie year, and he is the third Tight End. Trent does not look for him, he did the same with LJ last year.

Rain Man
12-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Gosh......And I thought I was the only one around here to dare think such controversial thoughts.

You're not leading me on with that BBS Sarcasm are you? It's hard to pick that stuff out sometimes.

I'm as serious as a Carl Peterson contract negotiation. Going into next year, this team will have a lot of talent.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 01:16 PM

BOOYEAH! PBJ

Archie Bunker
12-19-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm as serious as a Carl Peterson contract negotiation. Going into next year, this team will have a lot of talent.

I agree. With the right coaching staff in place the Chiefs will be very dangerous next year. I don't understand why some people assume the Chiefs will fall to 6-10 just because of a coaching change. This team has a good mix of youth and veteran talent. I think Chiefs will be a better overall team next year.

philfree
12-19-2005, 01:21 PM

So then it's not to late to hope for Santa to deliver a win on Christmas Eve. I'm such a good person that I hope the same for those Browns Fans too. They deserve a home win for the holidays.

B_Ambuehl
12-19-2005, 01:48 PM
They are getting ready to run off the guys mainly responsible for that #1 offense and it will take at least 3 years to build up another offense to that level with another coach....by then everybody WILL be far too old....actually it's more then likely that level of offense will never be reached again.

Add to that the fact that the defense still has so many holes that can't be plugged and competing for a superbowl in '06 is a pipe dream.

Archie Bunker
12-19-2005, 01:55 PM
They are getting ready to run off the guys mainly responsible for that #1 offense and it will take at least 3 years to build up another offense to that level with another coach....by then everybody WILL be far too old....actually it's more then likely that level of offense will never be reached again.

Who are they running off? Even without Shields, Holmes, and maybe Roaf the offense can still be top 10 and the defense should be improved with an actual defensive coordinator.

Chiefnj
12-19-2005, 01:56 PM
QB's are going to be beating down Carl's door to play in KC.

Losing two veteran linemen, Shields and Roaf - check.
Remaining line couldn't pass protect for more than 2 seconds without Roaf - check.
Lose the games best pass catching TE - check.
Best receiver on the team is on the decline and on the wrong side of 30 - check.
No great 2nd and 3rd receivers - check.
Pro Bowl FB likely to retire - check.
Starting HB has problems with QB protection - check.

David Carr, welcome to the Houston Tex.., err I mean Kansas City Chiefs.

FringeNC
12-19-2005, 01:57 PM

Add to that the fact that the defense still has so many holes that can't be plugged and competing for a superbowl in '06 is a pipe dream.

I hope Carl is smart enough to insist that the new head coach run the Coryell offense. Trent can be a coach on the field. Why would a new coach NOT want to go with the Coryell offense? In fact, if we do not run this same offense (the results may not be nearly as good without Saunders, granted) next year, Carl Peterson and the new HC would have to be complete morons.

B_Ambuehl
12-19-2005, 02:01 PM
They are running off the guys who put together and call that offense. If you'll think someone like a Greg Williams can come in here and run an offensive football team get ready for a cold blast of reality come '96.

Did you just say we should trade TG because it's not FAIR?

Seriously, what the hell has everyone been smoking today?

My "fairness" comments are just a twist to the comments these phuqtards always wanna make about guys like Tony G putting their hearts on the line for a team for so long. They say he should be rewarded by finishing his career in kansas city and that it's not fair to him if he doesn't. Same goes with Brett Favre fans etc.

NewChief
12-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I hope Carl is smart enough to insist that the new head coach run the Coryell offense. Trent can be a coach on the field. Why would a new coach NOT want to go with the Coryell offense? In fact, if we do not run this same offense (the results may not be nearly as good without Saunders, granted) next year, Carl Peterson and the new HC would have to be complete morons.

I hope we go to wishbone and start running the option. Trent would be a great option QB. ROFL

Clint in Wichita
12-19-2005, 02:08 PM
If you could get some NFL tard like Al Davis to bite on a crazy deal for Gonzo, like a 1st and 2nd round pick, then I'd be fine with it.

Gonzo will be a hall-of-famer, but his skills appear to be diminishing, and his lack of speed is rendering him obsolete already. The TE position is evolving incredibly rapidly.

Frankie
12-19-2005, 02:37 PM
we'd be lucky to get a third round pick.

remember Dillon went to NE for a 2nd, and TG is old with a bid contract.

plus, with that many years left on his deal, the cap hit would be significant
You think I INSIST on trading TG? Unless we can get what I said even the idea of trading him is stupid.

InChiefsHeaven
12-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Trading TG...stop the world, I wanna get off...

...What is stranger to me is that I will be rooting my ass off for the Donks of all things come week 16. We have to beat the Bolts this week and Cinci next, and the Donks have to beat the Bolts. It is a very possible scenario. The Steelers are the big problem right now. Let's not get nuts talking about getting rid of one of the greatest players to ever don a Chiefs uni when we are'nt even out of the playoff picture yet.

...in fact, let's not hear that kind of talk ever. Even if we are on the couch again this post season. Get a grip...

Red Dawg
12-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Why should we keep Gonzo? We need a number one WR and not Gonzo. I'd rather go three wide with WR's not a TE that's lost a step. Alot of teams have won the SB in the 35 years and none of them had Tony, so why the hell should we keep him?

I have much respect for him and have loved having him here, he's been damn incredible but it's time to cut him loose.

Brock
12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Why should we keep Gonzo? We need a number one WR and not Gonzo. I'd rather go three wide with WR's not a TE that's lost a step. Alot of teams have won the SB in the 35 years and none of them had Tony, so why the hell should we keep him?

I have much respect for him and have loved having him here, he's been damn incredible but it's time to cut him loose.

Yeah, the chiefs need a number one WR because the offense is so lousy as is.

Coogs
12-19-2005, 04:06 PM

If we play smashmouth football, and IMO that is what we should do with LJ, TG is perfect for this offense. When he gets taken out of the offense is usually when we go to the straight drop back style of a passing game.

kcfanXIII
12-19-2005, 04:07 PM
tony g is a face of this franchise right now. its also a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game in12 years now. gonzalez would be worth shopping to see what we could get for him in return. if its not a least a second round pick, i don't think you move him. i'm not even sure its worth moving him for only a secondrounder.

htismaqe
12-19-2005, 04:26 PM
If we play smashmouth football, and IMO that is what we should do with LJ, TG is perfect for this offense. When he gets taken out of the offense is usually when we go to the straight drop back style of a passing game.

Yep.

I hate to say it, but if we really want to take advantage of the guys we have on offense (presuming we get a new coach and don't continue to do what we do now), we should look no further than division rival Denver...

DTLB58
12-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Trade Tony G (a proven player) for a draft pick(s) that our front office will screw up and draft another bust :shake:

Fish
12-19-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't understand everybody saying Gonzo has lost a step. He wasn't running a 4.1 40 to begin with. He's a big physical possesion TE who blocks like a lineman. He doesn't have to be the fastest guy on the field. He hasn't been utilized well this year.... it doesn't mean he's lost all his skill. And he's a perfect TE for Green's style of throw. Our offense is still pretty damn good... why would we wanna screw it up and get rid of TGonz?

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't understand everybody saying Gonzo has lost a step. He wasn't running a 4.1 40 to begin with. He's a big physical possesion TE who blocks like a lineman. He doesn't have to be the fastest guy on the field. He hasn't been utilized well this year.... it doesn't mean he's lost all his skill. And he's a perfect TE for Green's style of throw. Our offense is still pretty damn good... why would we wanna screw it up and get rid of TGonz?

Gonzalez hasn't lost anything if you ask me.

The only reason his numbers are SLIGHTLY down is because of the injuries to the offensive line early in the year.

He never had great speed. He's a great tight end because he's so big and so quick.

Eleazar
12-19-2005, 04:54 PM
You don't lose the best player at his position maybe EVER in the NFL for anything.

Something tells me that if we lose someone who needs to be double covered on every down, the only upper echelon player we have in the passing game, the offense might just slow down a step.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
:(

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/ERU20812180228.jpg

beavis
12-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Anyone who starts a "We should trade (insert future hall of famer name here) for a draft pick" threads should be bitch slapped.

Frankie
12-19-2005, 05:07 PM
EXACTLY.

Eleazar
12-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Kris Wilson is an adequate replacement for Tony Gonzalez?

He's faster and can get open?

We only get a 2nd round pick?

:bong:

RealSNR
12-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Tony is like Moses. He is loyal to his people, but because of their dumbassery, he will never get to see the promised land.

chiefs4me
12-19-2005, 05:28 PM
You stupid piece of shit......he is the best tight end in the game as far as I am concerned, and he is not crying about being traded, he has said he will do what it takes for this team to win, and when they give him a chance he has done it......he has agreed to share his duties and does NOT want to leave..:harumph:

chiefs4me
12-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I think ha has also been quoted as stating that he wants to end his career in KC.

Yes he has.......PBJ

RedNFeisty
12-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Tony is like Moses. He is loyal to his people, but because of their dumbassery, he will never get to see the promised land.

Sad, but true.

Gotta Love Tony. I would be pissed if he left even if he does deserve better.

FRCDFED
12-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Someone else already used logic by stating that trading a proven commodity such as TG for an unknown draft pick (no matter what level) would be ignorant. I would like to second that motion.

I am not on the trade TG bandwagon but if it were to happen it would have to be one hall-of-fame impact player for another.

For some reason we are always taking chances in drafts by taking a tweener versus a player who put up solid numbers at their position in college. I can't help but remorse over all the quality LB's and defensive lineman we have missed out on because of poor talent evaluation.

Eleazar
12-19-2005, 06:10 PM
For some reason we are always taking chances in drafts by taking a tweener versus a player who put up solid numbers at their position in college. I can't help but remorse over all the quality LB's and defensive lineman we have missed out on because of poor talent evaluation.

Yeah... the chiefs' MO seems to be to go for value in the draft, passing up the biggest names (and thus contracts) and trying to scoop up bargains - undervalued players, raw talent, with upside but who are projects - with all their picks hoping to come out ahead in the end.

Sometimes it works with guys like Larry Johnson and in other cases like the Siavii pick it doesn't seem to have panned out. But either way it's even more of a crapshoot than normal. Even if we got a 1st rounder the chances of getting value like Tony Gonzalez with the pick are slim to none.

philfree
12-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Someone else already used logic by stating that trading a proven commodity such as TG for an unknown draft pick (no matter what level) would be ignorant. I would like to second that motion.

I am not on the trade TG bandwagon but if it were to happen it would have to be one hall-of-fame impact player for another.

Some of the best D players from the 2005 draft were considered tweeners by many people. Merriman, Ware ...Uhhhh.....well a couple anyways. IMO the reason the 3-4 has come back into vogue is the fact that the best defensive players coming out of college fit better. Instead of reaching for a player to fit a 4-3 the teams change to 3-4 so they can utilize the talent pool of young players entering the league. This of course is all about the DEs/OLBs. I'm not saying the Chiefs should go to a 3-4 full time I'm just pointing out an observation I've made. I'm not scrared of tweeners they just have to fit into a teams scheme.

philfree
12-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Some of the best D players from the 2005 draft were considered tweeners by many people. Merriman, Ware ...Uhhhh.....well a couple anyways. IMO the reason the 3-4 has come back into vogue is the fact that the best defensive players coming out of college fit better. Instead of reaching for a player to fit a 4-3 the teams change to 3-4 so they can utilize the talent pool of young players entering the league. This of course is all about the DEs/OLBs. I'm not saying the Chiefs should go to a 3-4 full time I'm just pointing out an observation I've made. I'm not scrared of tweeners they just have to fit into a teams scheme.

About Gonzo. If I have anything to say about it Gonzo is here till he retires. You don't let players like him go and players like him shouldn't go either. Sometimes you hurt the one you love I guess. I'd like to avoid watching Gonzo win a ring with another team like I watched Neil Smith do.

alanm
12-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Well, then we just hire Denver's capoligist away from the Bronco's. He's got that white collar crime thing down pat. :)

Chiefaholic
12-19-2005, 07:55 PM
I can't get over how ignorant some people actually are. You DON'T trade a proven player for an unproven draft pick.

alanm
12-19-2005, 07:58 PM
I hope we go to wishbone and start running the option. Trent would be a great option QB. ROFL
And if Trent doesn't work out, Eric Crouch is still available. :thumb: