PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil wonders why he is still coaching

DTLB58
12-19-2005, 08:51 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The illustrious coaching career of Dick Vermeil may have only two games to go.

"That decision will be made within the next three weeks," he said Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 69-year-old Vermeil, who has taken both Philadelphia and St. Louis to the Super Bowl and been honored as coach of the year at four different levels, said last summer he might put off retirement if the Kansas City Chiefs had a good year.

But a poorly played 27-17 loss to the New York Giants on Saturday dropped them to 8-6 and reduced their playoff hopes to a flicker. The only way they can get into the postseason now is to win their last two games, at home against San Diego and Cincinnati, and get help from other teams.

Asked if he was thinking about his future, Vermeil said, "Yes. I think about it. You have to think about those kind of things."

The way the Chiefs lost to the Giants left Vermeil, as well as Chiefs fans, searching for answers. Poor tackling and faulty execution enabled Tiki Barber to rush for 220 yards, a Giants team record and a Kansas City opponent record. It was a shocking letdown for a defense that had gone 20 games without allowing a 100-yard rusher.

"Yeah, I think about (retirement), especially when you walk out of that New York Giants stadium with your (tail) handed to you, embarrassed," Vermeil said. "This is what I do for a living, coach a football team. Just like you take pride in what you do. When you're embarrassed you get upset: `What the hell am I doing here?'

"But I don't feel that way today."

Vermeil took the 1980 Philadelphia Eagles to the Super Bowl, and won the Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams after the 1999 season.

He retired abruptly after the Rams' Super Bowl win and has said often that he almost immediately regretted it.

"Last time I didn't think about it, and I made an impulsive decision," he said Monday.

Nevertheless, success has followed the California native everywhere he's gone. His career record as an NFL head coach is 123-114. He's 42-36 with the Chiefs, but has taken them to the playoffs only once in his first four years.

Does he feel he's done a good job this season?

"Average," he said. "Give me a C."

His coaching staff, he said, would get a higher grade.

"I allow my coaches to coach," he said.

Vermeil also said several concerns he had coming out of training camp had been satisfactorily resolved.

"In our business, you live in a state of concern," he said.

He insisted he would not use the playoff possibility as an incentive to his players.

"We won four of our last five games last year with no hopes of the playoffs," he said. "Professional football players get paid to play. That's how they earn their living. They get evaluated every single day by us and any other team that might be interested in them next year or next year when they're free agents.

"I expect our football team, regardless of having an incentive of playoffs, to play well. That is an added incentive."

Brock
12-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Me too.

Logical
12-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Just retire and get it over with.

old_geezer
12-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Vermeil quit coaching 2 years ago - he's just too senile to realize it yet.

Skip Towne
12-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Just get the hell out, VD. The whole damn bunch of you can't figure out how to stop the cut back run. This D gives up 22.5 points per game. The only teams in the AFC to give up more are Oakland, Houston and Tenn. That's mighty fine company we're keeping. GET THE HELL OUT!!!

Frankie
12-19-2005, 09:22 PM
I have a lot of respect for the man. He has put the Chiefs back on the map. I lean toward wanting him to retire, though, because I also do think he has softened up. I think Saturday's embarrasment was due to the team not being mentally prepared and motivated after the Dallas game. That, I'm afraid is his job.

Dunit35
12-19-2005, 09:57 PM
I just hope he knows its time to leave.

philfree
12-19-2005, 10:00 PM
"That decision will be made within the next three weeks," he said Monday.

That's a challenge to his players to decide what they are and what they want. If they play hard and get two wins at home realizing a 10-6 record then contrary to alot of the opinions i've read this team hasn't quit on DV or anything of the sort. Except a few homers like me 10-6 was probably a concensus projection of the Chiefs 2005 season record. So......well the math is twisted but ....to dump an HC who has built the #1 O in the league for 4 years running and who has lead two of his three teams to the SuperBowl for an unknown quantity is.......shakey at best. If our team doesn't perform then DV will be shown his destiny by that. ....I hope we win the next two but I'm an old romantic........

PhilFree:arrow:

The Bad Guy
12-19-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm sick of this guy having a free pass to do whatever he wants.

Why the F do we have a GM if Vermeil can decide what he wants to do?

He hasn't earned another chance with this team. They can't play on the road. The defense constantly lays down in huge spots.

If our head coach wasn't named Dick Vermeil, he would have been fired after last year.

What is he going to come back for? Another year? With another lame-duck coaching staff?

No thanks. End this misery already and just leave.

chiefsfaninNC
12-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

CanadaKC
12-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Let's give Vermeil his due. All in all..he 's a good coach. It's not his fault the defence has been his downfall since he took the reigns. That's all Carl...G-Rob..and now Gunther. He's a good man...a passionate football guy...at least he's not a Haslett or a Capers. I think Vermeil's legacy with the players is synonymous with trust, loyalty, and guts...
whcih is exactly why he said he couldn't recognize that defense on the field during the Giants game. He may have fell short...but I don't hold him responsible. I appreciate the effort he gave our team.

Deberg_1990
12-19-2005, 10:20 PM
"We won four of our last five games last year with no hopes of the playoffs," he said.

Ah yes, the legacy of the Dick Vermeil era in KC. We NEVER lose a meaningless game. We are at our absolute finest when there is nothing on the line.

Deberg_1990
12-19-2005, 10:23 PM
It's not his fault the defense has been his downfall since he took the reigns.

WTF??? Its not his fault?? Hes the Head Coach!! Its ultimately all his responsibility.

VonneMarie
12-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Ah yes, the legacy of the Dick Vermeil era in KC. We NEVER lose a meaningless game. We are at our absolute finest when there is nothing on the line.
I hope that's the case because I cannot fathom losing to SD on Christmas Eve of all days. :banghead:

The Bad Guy
12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Let's give Vermeil his due. All in all..he 's a good coach. It's not his fault the defense has been his downfall since he took the reigns. That's all Carl...G-Rob..and now Gunther. He's a good man...a passionate football guy...at least he's not a Haslett or a Capers. I think Vermeil's legacy with the players is synonymous with trust, loyalty, and guts...
whcih is exactly why he said he couldn't recognize that defense on the field during the Giants game. He may have fell short...but I don't hold him responsible. I appreciate the effort he gave our team.

So basically, since there are worse coaches, we should take it easy on Vermeil?

The head coach takes the fall for everything. That's what they do. His defense has sucked balls for four years. Two different coordinators, different players and it's been the same result.

If you don't hold a head coach responsible, then who do you hold? I know I hold Carl responsible, but he's not the one coaching this team every week.

beavis
12-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Let's give Vermeil his due. All in all..he 's a good coach.
I'll go ahead and disagree with that. I've always maintained that DV is one of the most overrated coaches in recent in NFL history. Outside of 2 seasons, he's very mediocre.

siberian khatru
12-19-2005, 10:29 PM
"We won four of our last five games last year with no hopes of the playoffs," he said.

You stupid senile old f*ck. How about winning games when you DO have hopes of the playoffs!

GodDAMN it! Mother****er! **** that makes me so ****ing mad!

kregger
12-20-2005, 01:53 AM
You stupid senile old f*ck. How about winning games when you DO have hopes of the playoffs!

GodDAMN it! Mother****er! **** that makes me so ****ing mad!

Easy, easy, that's like cussin' your grandpa. But he is a stupid old ****. I love that classic look of his on the sidelines when his last remaining grey matter is oozing out his nose and he's clueless as to what to do next. Even that sack of shit caddie, Mike White, manages to avoid being near him when the camera shows DV at his incompetent best.

CoMoChief
12-20-2005, 04:07 AM
This is ****in bullshit Im tired of this crap. He needs to ****in just get out of KC and retire to his little California winery.

huskerdooz
12-20-2005, 05:47 AM
There sure is a bunch of bitter ****s here on the planet.

Jafo
12-20-2005, 06:28 AM
I'm new here, but benn a K.C. Chiefs fan all my life, even when they were basicaly nothing back in the late 1970's and all through the 1980's. It was alittle refreshing when Vermiel came in and made the offense worth watching, but has been on the down hill slide for awhile now. The defense is just not there. So much for band-aiding idea. Gunther is a good defensive coach, he does'nt have the right players for what he wants to do. They need one more good D-lineman. But Dick is old, he needs to retire. He has nothing left to prove to anyone. I'm now convinced that K.C. is jinxed. So Dick should just take his losses and retire and enjoy the rest of his life. We need a fire breathing, intimidating head coach. We need an unpredictable offense and a nasty Q.B. Eating defense. I think most of the peices are there. But the Q.B. position is going to need attention cause Trents not going to last forever. Good luck Dick V.

donkhater
12-20-2005, 06:56 AM
I have a lot of respect for the man. He has put the Chiefs back on the map. I lean toward wanting him to retire, though, because I also do think he has softened up. I think Saturday's embarrasment was due to the team not being mentally prepared and motivated after the Dallas game. That, I'm afraid is his job.
How has he put KC back on the map? He has one playoff appearance in 5 years. And he lost it at home.

htismaqe
12-20-2005, 08:51 AM
It was alittle refreshing when Vermiel came in and made the offense worth watching, but has been on the down hill slide for awhile now.

Egg-zackly.