PDA

View Full Version : I think Casey Wiegmann made the Pro Bowl

Boardin Bronco
12-21-2005, 11:34 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=5087

Tom Nalen didn't make it for the Broncos.

I am thinking the two AFC centers are Jeff Saturday and Casey Wiegmann. The only other threat to Wiegmann is Jeff Hartings.

Anyways, Wiegmann deserves it. I have been watching him the last several weeks and he is a stud. He moves to the second level and buries linebackers. Last week Phil Simms complimented Waters for a block on a first down run, but totally ignored Wiegmann's block which was more impressive. That is typical of Wiegmann's quiet, hard hat work that has gone unnoticed.

jspchief
12-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Alan Faneca probably made it in another display of why fans shouldn't have a vote, just like Lynch.

StcChief
12-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Wegmann does deserve it.
Hope he has enough to get in.

Nice consolation prize for Chiefs missing or losing in playoffs again. :banghead:

ChiefsfaninPA
12-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Yeah I agree that fans shouldn't have a vote. I voted all Chiefs, even the ones who haven't done squat on defense because that is the level of homer that I am.

shaneo69
12-21-2005, 12:01 PM
I hope Vermiel comes back for a 6th season for no other reason than to break Mike Martz' record for most offensive players named to the Pro Bowl in a 6 year period.

jspchief
12-21-2005, 12:09 PM
I hope Vermiel comes back for a 6th season for no other reason than to break Mike Martz' record for most offensive players named to the Pro Bowl in a 6 year period. I bet we don't send many this year.

Idahored
12-21-2005, 12:10 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=5087

Tom Nalen didn't make it for the Broncos.

I am thinking the two AFC centers are Jeff Saturday and Casey Wiegmann. The only other threat to Wiegmann is Jeff Hartings.

Anyways, Wiegmann deserves it. I have been watching him the last several weeks and he is a stud. He moves to the second level and buries linebackers. Last week Phil Simms complimented Waters for a block on a first down run, but totally ignored Wiegmann's block which was more impressive. That is typical of Wiegmann's quiet, hard hat work that has gone unnoticed.

Thanks for the nice post. You are correct about Wiegmann and he should have been there the last two years also. He is a bit undersized, but makes up for it with his athletic ability and smarts.

shaneo69
12-21-2005, 12:27 PM
I bet we don't send many this year.

I'm thinking Kennison, Gonzo, Roaf, Waters, Wiegmann, Shields, LJ, T-Rich, and Green.

This could be DV's most successful season ever!!!!!

BigRock
12-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Kennison might make it if they added a new "WR named Eddie" position to the team, but I don't see it otherwise. Trent making it would be surprising, too.

jspchief
12-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm thinking Kennison, Gonzo, Roaf, Waters, Wiegmann, Shields, LJ, T-Rich, and Green.

This could be DV's most successful season ever!!!!!Are you serious? I don't think Green or Kennison makes it. I wouldn't be suprised if T-Rich, LJ, and Weigmann don't make it.

Eleazar
12-21-2005, 12:40 PM
if Larry Johnson doesn't make the pro bowl, they shouldn't have one.

shaneo69
12-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Trent making it would be surprising, too.

Trent may not make the playoffs like Brady, Manning, and Palmer, but he's got better stats.

shakesthecat
12-21-2005, 12:43 PM
if Larry Johnson doesn't make the pro bowl, they shouldn't have one.

They shouldn't have one even if he does make it.

Hoover
12-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Trent may not make the playoffs like Brady, Manning, and Palmer, but he's got better stats.
um no he doesn't not this year

milkman
12-21-2005, 12:46 PM
I hope Vermiel comes back for a 6th season for no other reason than to break Mike Martz' record for most offensive players named to the Pro Bowl in a 6 year period.

Oh boy!

Wouldn't that be special.

Another nonplayoff team with a bunch of Pro Bowlers!

Why, that would just be a feather in Dick's cap.

nascher
12-21-2005, 12:46 PM
yes he is by far the most underrated OL in the NFL !!! Never missed a game since we got him and almost always playing well. Great Player !

Boardin Bronco
12-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Pro Bowl team from the best of my knowledge
AFC

QB: Carson Palmer, Cincinnati
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis
Tom Brady, New England

HB: Ladainian Tomlinson, San Diego
Edgerrin James, Indianapolis
Larry Johnson, Kansas City

FB: Lorenzo Neal, San Diego

WR: Rod Smith, Denver
Chris Chambers, Miami
Chad Johnson, Cincinnati
Marvin Harrison, Indianapolis

TE: Antonio Gates, San Diego
Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City

OT: Willie Anderson, Cincinnati
Willie Roaf, Kansas City
Tarik Glenn, Indianapolis

OG: Will Shields, Kansas City
Brian Waters, Kansas City
Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh

C: Jeff Saturday, Indianapolis
Jeff Hartings, Pittsburgh

DE: Jason Taylor, Miami
Derrick Burgess, Oakland
Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis

DT: Marcus Stroud, Jacksonville
Richard Seymour, New England
Jamal Williams, San Diego

OLB: Shawne Merriman, San Diego
Cato June, Indianapolis
Joey Porter, Pittsburgh

MLB: Al Wilson, Denver
Zach Thomas, Miami

CB: Champ Bailey, Denver
Deltha O'Neal, Cincinnati
Ty Law, New York

S: John Lynch, Denver
Bob Sanders, Indianapolis
Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh

K: Shayne Graham, Cincinnati

P: Brian Moorman, Buffalo

ST: Hanik Milligan, San Diego

RS: Jerome Mathis, Houston

phxchief
12-21-2005, 01:15 PM
So long as Brian Waters and Larry Johnson make it, no complaints from me.

Waters has been the best guard i've seen in the AFC easily. And LJ.... yeah, you know it.

Not sure about Shields. He's had a very good year, but not a Will Shields year. Maybe that's still enough.

Willie Roaf deserves it on his play, but he did miss time.

jynni
12-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Willie Roaf deserves it on his play, but he did miss time.
Actually - I think that's part of the reason he deserves it - people don't realize just how good he is until he's gone.

Inspector
12-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah I agree that fans shouldn't have a vote. I voted all Chiefs, even the ones who haven't done squat on defense because that is the level of homer that I am.

Heck, don't worry about that.

You ain't the only one......

Theres a few of us homers around here.

joesomebody
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Is the list here posted by Boardin Bronco official???

I had read it doesn't come out until 1600 EST on ESPN.

Dunit35
12-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Oh boy!

Wouldn't that be special.

Another nonplayoff team with a bunch of Pro Bowlers!

Why, that would just be a feather in Dick's cap.

"We cant get into the playoffs, but hey we do send a lot of people to the Pro Bowl".

nmt1
12-21-2005, 03:07 PM
FIVE CHIEFS NAMED TO THE 2006 AFC PRO BOWL SQUAD
Dec 21, 2005, 3:00:20 PM

The National Football League announced on Wednesday that the Kansas City Chiefs will be represented by five players on the 2006 AFC Pro Bowl squad. G Will Shields and T Willie Roaf will be attending their 11th Pro Bowls, TE Tony Gonzalez will be making his seventh consecutive appearance, G Brian Waters will be making his second trip to Hawaii and RB Larry Johnson was named to the AFC Pro Bowl squad for the first time.

“These five Pro Bowl players represent acquisitions made via the draft, trades, college free agency and the NFL Europe League,” Chiefs President Carl Peterson said. “We are very proud of each and every one of our Pro Bowl selected players as I’m sure all our fans are. They have represented themselves, their families, and the Kansas City Chiefs with distinction through their years here. Congratulations are due also to our player personnel staff and the coaches who have been vital in the selection and development of these players. A consistent high level of performance is a prerequisite for being named to the Pro Bowl and is most notable in our players who have received Pro Bowl selections for consecutive seasons.”

The annual AFC-NFC Pro Bowl will be played in Honolulu, Hawaii at Aloha Stadium on February 12, 2006. The complete AFC and NFC Pro Bowl squads will be announced at 3:00 p.m. (CT) this afternoon on ESPN’s Pro Bowl Selection Show. Starters for the Pro Bowl will be announced at halftime of one of the two Wild Card games on January 7, 2006.

The Chiefs had three offensive linemen selected to the Pro Bowl for the second consecutive season, marking the first time that has been achieved since Dallas sent three to Hawaii from ‘93-96. Shields and Waters became the first guard duo to make back-to-back Pro Bowls since Cowboys guards Nate Newton and Larry Allen were Pro Bowlers in ‘95-96.

Shields (6-3, 320) entered the NFL as the Chiefs third-round draft pick (74th overall) out of Nebraska in the ‘93 NFL Draft. He will be making his 11th straight trip to Honolulu as a Pro Bowl performer and holds the record for the longest streak of Pro Bowl appearances in team history. Shields’ 11th overall selection to the Pro Bowl is also a franchise record for the most Pro Bowl or AFL All-Star game appearances in Chiefs annals. Shields also won the 2003 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award, the most prestigious accolade that an be bestowed upon an active player. Shields has started 205 consecutive games, the second-longest active streak in the NFL, dating back to the second game of his rookie season in ‘93. Those 205 straight starts are also the third-longest streak in NFL history dating back to ‘70. He has also appeared in 206 games, ranking second in Chiefs history.

Shields was a three-time All-Big Eight choice and a two-time All-America pick at Nebraska. As a senior Shields won the Outland Trophy as the nation’s most outstanding interior lineman. He became the first player from the state of Oklahoma to play for the Huskers after an outstanding career at Lawton (Oklahoma) High School.

Roaf (6-5, 320) joined the Chiefs in 2002 via a trade with New Orleans and will be appearing in his 11th career Pro Bowl, his fourth as a member of the Chiefs. Roaf was named to the NFC Pro Bowl team seven times as a member of the Saints, but will represent the AFC Red for a fourth consecutive season. His four Pro Bowls are the most by a tackle in Chiefs history. T Jim Tyrer was named to the AFL All-Star Game or Pro Bowl nine times, including four straight berths following the ‘68-71 seasons. Roaf has started 54 games for the Chiefs since coming to Kansas City and has racked up 187 starts over his 13-year career.

Roaf originally entered the league as a first-round draft pick (eighth overall) of the Saints in ‘93 NFL Draft. The Outland Trophy finalist from Louisiana Tech was named to a host of All-America teams as a senior. The Pine Bluff, Arkansas native was an all-district selection at Pine Bluff High School.

Gonzalez (6-5, 251) came to Kansas City as the club’s first-round draft choice (13th overall) in ‘97 and will be making his seventh straight appearance in the NFL’s annual All-Star Game. The only Chiefs TE ever selected to the Pro Bowl, Gonzalez joins Fred Arbanas as the only other Kansas City TE to earn a berth in the Pro Bowl or the AFL All-Star Game. Arbanas made five AFL All-Star appearances (’62-65 and ‘67).

The University of California product is the Chiefs all-time leading pass catcher with 638 catches and 7,693 receiving yards. Gonzalez needs just two TD catches to pass WR Otis Taylor (57) for the most touchdown receptions in team annals. Gonzalez currently leads the Chiefs with 68 catches and ranks second on the squad with 788 yards through the first 14 games of the 2005 season. His 68 catches are the third-highest total among NFL tight ends, while his 788 yards rank fifth at the position. He has caught a pass in 82 consecutive games, the second-longest streak in the team history. Gonzalez has recorded 50+ receptions in a team-record eight consecutive seasons, the longest streak by a tight end in NFL history.

In 141 career games (125 starts), the Huntington Beach, California native is one of only three tight ends to lead his franchise in career receptions. His 638 career receptions rank third in NFL history for catches by a tight end, while his 7,693 yards are fourth-best among NFL tight ends in the NFL record books.

Waters (6-3, 318) joined the Chiefs in 2000 as a free agent, after originally entering the league as a college free agent with Dallas in ‘99. Waters is an alum of the NFL Europe League, starting every game at center for the Berlin Thunder in 2000. He will be making his second consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl, giving the Chiefs three offensive linemen in the Pro Bowl for the second time in club history. Waters has started 69 consecutive games for the Chiefs dating back to a contest vs. Seattle (11/25/01).

The fifth-year pro is part of a Chiefs offense that ranks second in the NFL in total offense, averaging 379.6 yards per game and fourth in rushing yards per game (145.4). Last season The North Texas alum became the first undrafted guard to make the Pro Bowl since Nate Newton did it following the ‘98 season.

Johnson (6-1, 230) originally entered the NFL as the Chiefs first-round draft pick (27th overall) in 2003 and will be enjoying his first-ever Pro Bowl appearance. Johnson is the first RB drafted by the Chiefs to make the Pro Bowl since RB Christian Okoye following the ‘91 season. With two games remaining, Johnson has already accumulated 278 rushes for 1,418 yards (5.1 avg.) with 16 TDs, as well as 27 receptions for 274 yards (10.1 avg.). His 1,418 rushing yards are the fourth-best seasonal mark in club history and place him second in the AFC and fourth in the NFL in that category. Since becoming the Chiefs starter in Week Nine, the third-year pro has racked up a Chiefs-record seven consecutive 100-yard rushing games in those starts. He has produced 1,019 rushing yards and 1,226 yards from scrimmage since November 1st, the most in the NFL during that time period. His 12 rushing scores since November 1st are tied with Seattle RB Shaun Alexander for first in the league.

Named both AFC Offensive Player of the Week (at Houston 11/20) and AFC Offensive Player of the Month (November), Johnson has compiled eight 100-yard rushing games this season, which ranks third in the NFL and is tied for the second-best tally in Chiefs history. Earlier this season Johnson posted a career-high 36 carries for a team-record 211 yards at Houston (11/20). His 211 rushing yards in that contest are the second-highest single-game total in the NFL in 2005.

The Penn State alum has totaled 2,084 rushing yards on 418 carries (5.0 avg.) with 26 TDs, as well as 50 catches for 554 yards (11.1 avg.) and two TDs in 30 games (10 starts). The State College, Pennsylvania native led the nation in rushing and set a school record as a collegiate senior, rushing for 2,087 yards with 20 TDs.

Source (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/12/21/five_chiefs_named_to_the_2006_afc_pro_bowl_squad2/)

siberian khatru
12-21-2005, 03:09 PM
FIVE CHIEFS NAMED TO THE 2006 AFC PRO BOWL SQUAD

I predict we'll have at least 5 dupe threads on this by tonight.

nmt1
12-21-2005, 03:10 PM

I suppose I should've posted it as its own thread but why do that when there's already a probowl thread.

siberian khatru
12-21-2005, 03:11 PM
The Penn State alum has totaled 2,084 rushing yards on 418 carries (5.0 avg.) with 26 TDs, as well as 50 catches for 554 yards (11.1 avg.) and two TDs in 30 games (10 starts).

BTW, those are amazing stats. All those yards and TDs with only 10 career starts.

StcChief
12-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Let's see LJ and company bring the whole team along and pay like Priest.

nmt1
12-21-2005, 03:14 PM
BTW, those are amazing stats. All those yards and TDs with only 10 career starts.

You know what's even more amazing is that he ran for that many yards in his last season at Penn State.
Thumbs up to the Chiefs for picking this guy.

chefsos
12-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I'll take the over. There's four already. :)

shaneo69
12-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Five offensive Pro Bowlers! I think DV can officially call this season a success!!

Halfcan
12-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Casey is a cool guy, hard worker, and deserves to be in there.

Chris Mortensen
12-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Wiegman is a solid center and has been huge for the chiefs, but he is a bit undersized for his position. He has done well, but can he perform at the next level, the playoffs?

Halfcan
12-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Wiegman is a solid center and has been huge for the chiefs, but he is a bit undersized for his position. He has done well, but can he perform at the next level, the playoffs?

If we win two, SD loses two, PITT loses one, Jags lose one, the stars line up, hell freezes over-You would find out.