PDA

View Full Version : Does LJ's pro bowl berth end Priest's career in KC?

Chiefs Pantalones
12-21-2005, 03:30 PM
There's no way Priest will see even half the snaps next year. Will Priest be ok with that? What do the Chiefs do with him? He might be retiring anyway, though, right? :hmmm:

B2chiefsfan
12-21-2005, 03:32 PM
LJ won't see the field due to offseason negotiations with King Carl!!!!!!:cuss:

RedThat
12-21-2005, 03:33 PM
There's no way Priest will see even half the snaps next year. Will Priest be ok with that? What do the Chiefs do with him? He might be retiring anyway, though, right? :hmmm:

I honestly think he is going to retire...I think he's done

Just the fact that he was considering it before, and his injury isn't getting any better, plus, now we see that LJ is going to the probowl....It makes it more difficult for Priest to come back. I really think he should retire.

Fish
12-21-2005, 03:33 PM
As much as it hurts to say..... Priest is done playing football for the Chiefs........ JMO............

mike_b_284
12-21-2005, 03:35 PM
As much as it hurts to say..... Priest is done playing football for the Chiefs........ JMO............

One can only hope. I like Priest, but I think he is overrated. I've been wanting Johnson to be our feature back since he took over for Priest last year.

DeepSouth
12-21-2005, 03:36 PM
get whatever you can for him by trading him to a team in Texas (his home state).

RedThat
12-21-2005, 03:37 PM
One can only hope. I like Priest, but I think he is overrated. I've been wanting Johnson to be our feature back since he took over for Priest last year.

You think Priest is overrated? I disagree

RedDread
12-21-2005, 03:39 PM
I think Carl will offer Priest the option of being our 2nd string back next year, but I don't know if he could handle playing 2nd PBJ

RedThat
12-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I think Carl will offer Priest the option of being our 2nd string back next year, but I don't know if he could handle playing 2nd PBJ

Nah...I dont think that'll happen.

You have 2 superb RB's on your team. I don't know, I just can't see Priest accepting that role...If he did though, that'd be something...I just love the fact that he is an excellent teammate. I remember him cheering on the sidelines for LJ when we were playing Miami....I hope he does come back for the goodness, morale of the team.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Whatever happens this team needs to have a decent backup running back next year. LJ is getting waaay too many carries as is. if he contines at the 33 carry a game pace he is on now over the course of a 16 game season, he will set the NFL record.

CHIEF4EVER
12-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Does LJ's pro bowl berth end Priest's career in KC?

Pretty much. I didn't think it would happen this quick but it is time for the changing of the guard. Trade Priest for whatever you can get if he don't retire and move along. Sounds heartless considering what he has done for this team but such is the NFL and I am sure he expects it.

RedThat
12-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Whatever happens this team needs to have a decent backup running back next year. LJ is getting waaay too many carries as is. if he contines at the 33 carry a game pace he is on now over the course of a 16 game season, he will set the NFL record.

I hope Priest comes back and accepts the #2 RB job. I have a hard time seeing that under Vermeil though.

phxchief
12-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Hopefully.

nascher
12-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Not the Pro Bowl berth his play maybe. If Priest comes back and thats a big if he will be a backup if not we can draft or sign somebody.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-21-2005, 03:54 PM
IMO, Priest should retire. He'll get hurt again and again.

cdcox
12-21-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Priest is done and knows it. I think any talk of him returning is part of the elaborate dance that must occur between Priest and King Carl to determine how much of his signing bonus he gets to keep and how much it will count against the cap.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Priest is done and knows it. I think any talk of him returning is part of the elaborate dance that must occur between Priest and King Carl to determine how much of his signing bonus he gets to keep and how much it will count against the cap.

Hopefully we get something out of him...

Rain Man
12-21-2005, 04:11 PM
I could really enjoy seeing Larry Johnson on 1st and 2nd down, and then Priest as the 3rd down/goal line back.

Hydrae
12-21-2005, 04:17 PM

He didn't seem to have a problem sitting behind JLew in Baltimore for a year. I am sure he wasn't happy about it and obviously he left there when he had the chance but at this point in his career I think he knows it is the only way he stays on this team and that it is probably the smarter way to go for his long term health IF he comes back at all.

Halfcan
12-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Its a health issue with PH. He is still better than LJ.

milkman
12-21-2005, 09:04 PM

We know that you don't like LJ's personality, but if you honestly believe, at this point in their careers, that Priest is better than LJ, then you really are a halfwit.

Fishpicker
12-21-2005, 09:06 PM

I thought I was the only one....I'd say PH is better in the endzone and on the perimeter but LJ is definately the future. PH would be a great asset on 3rd down for catching and blocking but I doubt he will be back.

Chris Mortensen
12-21-2005, 09:09 PM
My sources have told me that its quite possible that Holmes could be regulated to backup duty next year. Learn more at ESPN.com

Halfcan
12-21-2005, 09:21 PM
We know that you don't like LJ's personality, but if you honestly believe, at this point in their careers, that Priest is better than LJ, then you really are a halfwit.

A healthy Priest can: catch better, block better, read defenses better, screen better,more elusive, more expierence and is more of a team player, plus he actually likes the fans.

LJ-does have speed, attitude, and power-plus he is putting up huge numbers-PH will be Number 2.

Notice I said healthy-I doubt seriously he will be back.

RedandGold
12-21-2005, 09:23 PM

I would argue this point in that even though LJ is a better rusher due to his size and speed, Priest is still a more rounded back. Priest has the patience on the perimeter to set up his blocks perfectly where LJ is just picking up this portion of his game. When it comes to blocking, Priest wins this contest hands down.

Do I believe that Priest should START over LJ at this point? No. Do I believe that Priest can still be a valuable asset to the team in short yardage and goalline situations? Most definitely!

chefsos
12-21-2005, 09:24 PM
My sources have told me that its quite possible that Holmes could be regulated to backup duty next year. Learn more at ESPN.com
Goddam spammers.

Halfcan
12-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I thought I was the only one....I'd say PH is better in the endzone and on the perimeter but LJ is definately the future. PH would be a great asset on 3rd down for catching and blocking but I doubt he will be back.

See Sidewinder-somebody reconizes a good post when they see one.

milkman
12-21-2005, 09:31 PM
I would argue this point in that even though LJ is a better rusher due to his size and speed, Priest is still a more rounded back. Priest has the patience on the perimeter to set up his blocks perfectly where LJ is just picking up this portion of his game. When it comes to blocking, Priest wins this contest hands down.

Do I believe that Priest should START over LJ at this point? No. Do I believe that Priest can still be a valuable asset to the team in short yardage and goalline situations? Most definitely!

I agree with your second paragraph.

I also agree that Priest brings all the things to the table that both you and halfwit discussed.

He is a more well rounded back.

But he doesn't have LJ's combination of speed, to outrun defenders, and power, to wear defenses down.

And the fact is, Priest didn't consistently show that burst to the hole that he had before his injury last season.

And, of course, LJ is more durable right now.

Chris Mortensen
12-21-2005, 09:35 PM
But he doesn't have LJ's combination of speed, to outrun defenders, and power, to wear defenses down.

And the fact is, Priest didn't consistently show that burst to the hole that he had before his injury last season.

I agree completly. Johnson Should be the future of the Kansas City franchise. The thing is does GM Carl Peterson and HC Dick Vermeil agree. I think that if they step back and look at where they are in their 5 year plan that they should start Johnson next year

Halfcan
12-21-2005, 09:36 PM
I agree with your second paragraph.

I also agree that Priest brings all the things to the table that both you and halfwit discussed.

He is a more well rounded back.

Where do you come up with this nonsense. Surely you can't believe that bunch of horseshit? Actually I agree with ya-but PH won't be back.

milkman
12-21-2005, 09:37 PM
See Sidewinder-somebody reconizes a good post when they see one.

But it's not Joe Somebody, so it doesn't count.

The Bad Guy
12-21-2005, 10:03 PM
A healthy Priest can: catch better, block better, read defenses better, screen better,more elusive, more expierence and is more of a team player, plus he actually likes the fans.

LJ-does have speed, attitude, and power-plus he is putting up huge numbers-PH will be Number 2.

Notice I said healthy-I doubt seriously he will be back.

To be honest, in my dealings with both players, LJ has been the much nicer of the 2. Priest came off as a cold, stuckup, asshole the first time I met him.

Holmes was more elusive two years ago. He wasn't nearly as elusive this year.

I think when all is said and done, LJ will have better numbers than Priest.

The Bad Guy
12-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Where do you come up with this nonsense. Surely you can't believe that bunch of horseshit? Actually I agree with ya-but PH won't be back.

How is saying that LJ is faster and bigger than Priest bullshit?

Logical
12-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Chiefs need someone that can be a threat to run and also pass block. I see that as Priest's role along with TD man inside the 10 year line, or at least inside the 5. Priest has that nose for the endzone that only a rare few have. This is not a knock on LJ.

milkman
12-21-2005, 10:29 PM

He was joking.

Halfcan
12-21-2005, 10:30 PM

I was joking-I already said he was faster and bigger.

PastorMikH
12-21-2005, 10:38 PM

Not sure about that anymore. There are aspects that Priest is better at and there are aspects that LJ is better at. If I could only have one or the other, I'd take LJ because of Priest's declining durability.

Boomer=GOD
12-21-2005, 11:14 PM
There is no way a Cheifs fan can be serious and say that the Chiefs "NEED" PH back in any capacity. He wont stay healthy for a 16 game season and if he does, it wont be for multiple years. Add on to that the fact that with age he WILL start to lose what it is that makes him PH, (already started) all do. Larry Johnson may or may not stick around due to negotiations, but he is the future of the run in KC, hands down. I hope priest retires, just so he can be put on the ring and not go through the E. Smith situation in Arizona. Nothing worse than watching someone so great hang on too long. Thanks Preist, you are the man of old :deevee: , in with the new.

Frazod
12-21-2005, 11:16 PM
He's ended three of the past four seasons on IR. Stick a fork in him.

I honestly hope he retires.

IF he comes back, I hope we can somehow manage to trade him away for something of value to somebody dumb enough to take him.

The worst case scenario is him splitting time with Johnson again. I don't think Larry would work and play well with others at this point, and I don't want him too have a bad attitude in the clubhouse. Besides, we'll have enough f#cking problems next year without a RB controversy, especially if that senile asshat Vermeil doesn't retire.

alanm
12-22-2005, 02:40 AM
You ever watch John Riggins play? Riggins always carried in the high 20's and 30's every game. LJ's faster than Riggins but their both about the same size. Just as Riggins did LJ wears down a defense in the 4th quarter. Their 4th quarter is where they both get a good chunk of their game totals.

alanm
12-22-2005, 02:43 AM
If it's 3rd and goal at the 1 yrd line who would you rather have in the backfield Priest or LJ? I'll take Priest everytime.

kregger
12-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Uh, Has anybody asked Jack Harry what he thinks?

Eleazar
12-22-2005, 02:56 AM
Uh, Has anybody asked Jack Harry what he thinks?

He thinks?

kregger
12-22-2005, 02:57 AM
Oh, that's right. He plays golf. My Bad

Rausch
12-22-2005, 03:28 AM
If it's 3rd and goal at the 1 yrd line who would you rather have in the backfield Priest or LJ? I'll take Priest everytime.

Agreed.

THe other 99 yards I'd prefer LJ...

Mecca
12-22-2005, 03:39 AM
Priest went on IR 3 of the last 4 years, this year he averaged 3.8 yards a carry while LJ is averaging 5. Priest Holmes isn't as good as Johnson anymore, he's an older declining back. Even if Johnson hadn't made the Pro Bowl he should be the starter next year.

I'm also not sure Larry Johnson would be real thrilled about being pulled at the goalline of drives. He has put up double digit TD's. He's not a god awful goalline back like say, Fred Taylor.

It's likely all moot anyway because the odds of Holmes coming back are small. He'd need to take a paycut and accept to being a backup. Who does that? Marshall Faulk did but I doubt Priest will.

htismaqe
12-22-2005, 08:37 AM

ROFL

Keep saying it. It's funny every time.

harpes
12-22-2005, 08:45 AM
It will depend on what LJ demands at the end of the year. I know he is Carls baby but if he becomes to expensive and Carl thinks Priest can go another year or two he might be persuaded to see how valuable LJ is in the market. We will need some expensive new blood next year and if Priest can pass the physcial he has some big big bonys money coming and we couldnt afford LJ and Priest.

12-22-2005, 09:05 AM

Nope. This is Carl's boy. Wouldn't surprise me if Carl re-writes his contract on his own.

milkman
12-23-2005, 05:20 PM

I don't think there's any doubt that Priest is/was money inside the Red Zone.

But I also think that in the maturation of LJ, he'll become nearly as effective.

We've already seen glimpses of it.

Calcountry
12-23-2005, 05:27 PM
I think Carl will offer Priest the option of being our 2nd string back next year, but I don't know if he could handle playing 2nd PBJCarl will spin it as a "red zone" back, rather than second string.