PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy's 18 yr old son died

cmh6476
12-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Saw it on another board, said they saw it on ESPN2...

Idahored
12-22-2005, 08:54 AM
James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead at 1:30 a.m. ET Thursday in his apartment in Lutz, Fla., a suburb of Tampa, Debbie Carter, a spokesperson for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, confirmed Thursday.

A death investigation is under way, and the spokesperson said that the county medical examiner's office or the hospital at which James Dungy was pronounced dead would have a ruling on the cause of death.

James Dungy officially was pronounced dead this morning at University Community Hospital in Tampa.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa. Indianapolis plays at Seattle this Saturday.

Archie F. Swin
12-22-2005, 08:55 AM
W...JW

Amnorix
12-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Holy smokes. My condolences and best wishes to Tony Dungy and his family. While I'm not big fan of his team, he certainly has earned my respect as both a coach and individual.

Right before Xmas too. :(

ROYC75
12-22-2005, 08:56 AM
WOW :eek: RIP James and Gods speed to Tony and the family.

ChiTown
Wow.

That puts things into perspective pretty quickly.

Deberg_1990
IM callin it now...Indy will go down hard in the playoffs to some team.

cdcox
Very sad. My condolences to the Dungy family.

Goapics1
12-22-2005, 08:58 AM

Classy post.

Brock
12-22-2005, 08:58 AM

I'm callin it now....you're not very intelligent.

JohninGpt
12-22-2005, 08:59 AM
What a tragedy. Dungy's at the highpoint of his career, it should be the best time of his life. My heart goes out to him and his family.

4th and Long
12-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Classy post.
It's a typical Douchebag_1990 post. Don't act shocked. The rest of us don't.

Simply Red
12-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Very sad. My condolences to the Dungy family.

DITTO :shake:

chris
12-22-2005, 09:00 AM

Who cares right now?

Stupid, classless comment!

RIP James

stevieray
12-22-2005, 09:01 AM
:(

Thoughts and prayers to Tony and his family.

Even though it would be a samll consolation, I hope they win it all and dedicate it to his son.

HemiEd
12-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Wow.

That puts things into perspective pretty quickly.

Well said, and best wishes to the family during this tragedy.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-22-2005, 09:03 AM

Too bad things like this don't happen to classless people like Deberg. My condolenses to the Dungy family.

tomahawk kid
12-22-2005, 09:03 AM
What a freaking blow.

Especially sad that something like this has happened to a class guy like Dungy.

Best wishes to both he and his family in their time of mourning.

KCFalcon59
12-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Very sad. Dungy is a class act. RIP.

Scalper
12-22-2005, 09:05 AM
My prayers are with the Dungy family..Its a sad and unfortunate story. Times like these we are suppose to be celebrating with family not laying them to rest. May God be with the Dungy family throughout the holidays.

Idahored
12-22-2005, 09:07 AM

Even though it would be a samll consolation, I hope they win it all and dedicate it to his son.

Ditto. Man, I feel for Tony and his family. What a terrible thing to happen to anyone. Tony is a total class act and I have lots of respect for him. The Dungy family will be in my prayers for sure.

teedubya
12-22-2005, 09:09 AM
wow. Completely shitty... Heart goes out to Dungy... I think he will focus even harder and win the Superbowl.

siberian khatru
12-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Awful how life can change in an instant like that. A lot of us know the experience. Those of us with children can only imagine the horror.

Tony's such a good guy.

As for football, maybe the Colts being in cruise mode will make it that much easier for him to take the time off that he needs to deal with this.

Brock
12-22-2005, 09:15 AM
I hope his team does it for him in the playoffs. And I hate the freakin colts.

vckcchiefs04
12-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Thoughts and prayers to Coach Dungy and his family. :grovel:

shakesthecat
12-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Damn! 18 is way too young!

RIP

bkkcoh
12-22-2005, 09:24 AM

I would certainly hope you really didn't mean it the way it sounded... :hmmm:

mlyonsd
12-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Wow. Just wow.

Dartgod
12-22-2005, 09:26 AM
No parent should ever have to bury one of their children. So sad... :shake:

And as far as DeBerg's post, I think that was a given before this tragedy. I'm not sure what your point was, other than to be a classless jerk.

Pants
12-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Wow, what a shock. I, too, think Indy has to win it all now and dedicate it to his son, although I'm sure Dungy would give up his whole football career not to lose his son. Condolences to his family. :(

I saw a special on him, his son and the Lynch family. Tony's son used to live with John Lynch and his wife when his dad left Tampa to coach Indy. Lynch was also James' godfather and it turns out he's actually a decent guy off the field.

dirk digler
12-22-2005, 09:35 AM
I am shocked and my thoughts and prayers go out to Tony and his family

jspchief
12-22-2005, 09:35 AM
OMG! How dare Deberg talk about this having an impact on the Colts? The classlessness!!!! A complete stranger is dead, the only reason anyone on this board remotely cares is because he has ties to the NFL, and Deberg is classless because he makes a comment on how it might have an impact in the NFL.

You guys just love to be offended. :rolleyes:

Brock
12-22-2005, 09:36 AM
I would certainly hope you really didn't mean it the way it sounded... :hmmm:

I'm not sure. How did it sound? :hmmm: :hmmm: :rolleyes:

siberian khatru
12-22-2005, 09:37 AM
I saw a special on him, his son and the Lynch family. Tony's son used to live with John Lynch and his wife when his dad left Tampa to coach Indy. Lynch was also James' godfather and it turns out he's actually a decent guy off the field.

So, this may adversely affect the Broncos, too?

(Just trying to add to the classlessness.)

stevieray
12-22-2005, 09:37 AM
OMG! How dare Deberg talk about this having an impact on the Colts? The classlessness!!!! A complete stranger is dead, the only reason anyone on this board remotely cares is because he has ties to the NFL, and Deberg is classless because he makes a comment on how it might have an impact in the NFL.

I care because I'm a parent, and he appears to be nothing short of a class act.

RP_McMurphy
12-22-2005, 09:39 AM
All you can say is d@mn. Sometimes life has a way of putting things in perspective.

chris
12-22-2005, 09:39 AM

Oh, so it is OK for a complete stranger to die???

Step away from the computer and go back to cleaning out septic tanks.

Dumb and dumber

acasas4
12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Very sad. My condolences to Tony and his family.

jspchief
12-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Oh, so it is OK for a complete stranger to die???

Step away from the computer and go back to cleaning out septic tanks.

Dumb and dumberSo is there a thread posted here everytime someone's child dies?

The only reason this is news to any of us is because of the link to the NFL. Deberg makes a comment in relation to that link, and every goes up in arms. There was nothing offensive about what he said, especially considering the fact that no one here has any ties to the deceased.

I just think you guys are trying too hard to catch someone saying the wrong thing, and looking for something to feign outrage over.

Back to my septic tanks...

Lurch
12-22-2005, 10:00 AM

Ditto

ptlyon
12-22-2005, 10:03 AM
So is there a thread posted here everytime someone's child dies?

The only reason this is news to any of us is because of the link to the NFL. Deberg makes a comment in relation to that link, and every goes up in arms. There was nothing offensive about what he said, especially considering the fact that no one here has any ties to the deceased.

I just think you guys are trying too hard to catch someone saying the wrong thing, and looking for something to feign outrage over.

I see your point jsp, but it was classless. If he would have added condolances it might have been another thing. But it's not nice to say something like that about our soon to be new coach.

In any event, it is a sad situation, especially around the holidays.

Condolances to his family.

harpes
12-22-2005, 10:03 AM
I want having a very cheerful Holday season but these events make me look back an appreciate all of things I have been blessed with. Prayers to the Dungy family.

Deberg_1990
12-22-2005, 10:06 AM

Exactly..I feel bad for the Guy and his family. Dungy is a class act all the way. But its not like I know him or his kid personally. I was just making a general statment about how i think it will affect the Colts over the next few weeks.

The Bad Guy
12-22-2005, 10:06 AM

You're a douchebag.

chris
12-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Exactly..I feel bad for the Guy and his family. Dungy is a class act all the way. But its not like I know him or his kid personally. I was just making a general statment about how i think it will affect the Colts over the next few weeks.

Apology accepted.

Have a great Christmas!

chris
12-22-2005, 10:10 AM

Hey, that was funny. Good way to defuse the lame insult.

Merry Christmas!

Pants
12-22-2005, 10:11 AM

Dungy is a public figure, you've seen him, you've heard him talk and you've heard others talk about him, when something this huge happens to him, people tend to relate. What Deberg said was classless and I think you're trying too hard to blame people for overreacting.

the Talking Can
12-22-2005, 10:19 AM
terrible...just terrible....

Eleazar
12-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Man. That's horrible. I hope I never know what it feels like to bury a son or daughter.

BigMeatballDave
12-22-2005, 10:52 AM

You guys just love to be offended. :rolleyes:Most were thinking what Deberg had said, just noone had the balls to. Its sad to lose a family member like this, and Dungy is a class-act, but I don't know him or his family from Adam. Debergs comment had ZERO affect on me. Some like to play drama queen. I once told TJ I'd hoped his teams' plane crashes. Vlad freaked out and said I should be banned. Whatever...

Eleazar
12-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Most were thinking what Deberg had said, just noone had the balls to. Its sad to lose a family member like this, and Dungy is a class-act, but I don't know him or his family from Adam. Debergs comment had ZERO affect on me. Some like to play drama queen. I once told TJ I'd hoped his teams' plane crashes. Vlad freaked out and said I should be banned. Whatever...

I never thought that, and I did cringe when I read Deberg's post.

I don't see it as classless so much as just being in poor taste.

chris
12-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Most were thinking what Deberg had said, just noone had the balls to. Its sad to lose a family member like this, and Dungy is a class-act, but I don't know him or his family from Adam. Debergs comment had ZERO affect on me. Some like to play drama queen. I once told TJ I'd hoped his teams' plane crashes. Vlad freaked out and said I should be banned. Whatever...

Now, this is classless.

At least Deberg clarified his comment....you just made yourself look pathetic.

So when you die, even thru I don't know you from dirt, I'm not to feel sorry for your family??

Sad.

bkkcoh
12-22-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure. How did it sound? :hmmm: :hmmm: :rolleyes:

Ok, my bad, I did mis-read the statement........... :banghead: :grovel:

ct
12-22-2005, 11:20 AM
TnP for the Dungy family.

jspchief
12-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Most were thinking what Deberg had said, just noone had the balls to. Its sad to lose a family member like this, and Dungy is a class-act, but I don't know him or his family from Adam. Debergs comment had ZERO affect on me. Some like to play drama queen. I once told TJ I'd hoped his teams' plane crashes. Vlad freaked out and said I should be banned. Whatever...The timing of his comment probably wasn't the best, but I don't see anything offensive about it at all.

Too many people on this board like to get there labias all twisted up over shit like this. They act like this is HumanCompassionPlanet. Then next week, half the people that are outraged with be taking rude pot shots at at someone for having a differing opinion on football. Or making some stupid comment about hurricane Katrina cleaning up the gene pool.

By the way, early reports are that it was an apparent suicide. I certainly hope not. Selfish way to solve all your problems... dumping them on your loved ones.

Brock
12-22-2005, 11:22 AM
By the way, early reports are that it was an apparent suicide. I certainly hope not. Selfish way to solve all your problems... dumping them on your loved ones.

If that's true, that's truly awful. Really the only way it could be any worse for Tony.

Rausch
12-22-2005, 11:23 AM
I care because I'm a parent, and he appears to be nothing short of a class act.

Indeed. Everything I've heard or read talks about how he's all class.

His greatest professional achievement will forever be tainted by the memory of losing his son. I don't know how he's going to take care of his family, arrangements, and still be able to prepare this team for a super bowl run.

But if he makes it I'll be cheering for him...

jspchief
12-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Now, this is classless.

So when you die, even thru I don't know you from dirt, I'm not to feel sorry for your family??

Sad.The only thing that matters is how the important people react. Tony Dungy doesn't know or care how we are reacting. He's got more real life issues than worrying about if some football BB is showing the proper amount of compassion.

Welcome to the real world.

RedNFeisty
Condolences to Tony and his family…May God wrap his arms around their family at this time.

Since the Chief's are out, I would like to see Tony and Colts make it all the way...I think Tony D. is a great coach and he seems to be a good hearted person off the field, I wish him the best.

ptlyon

No doubt. I thought that immediately, either that or drugs.

"Hey family, have a Merry Christmas while you know you should be burying me today!"

:shake:

On a side note, I kind of know what this is about. My mother had a heart attack last Christmas morning and went code blue. Thank God they revived her, that would have ruined Christmas for me forever.

bkkcoh
12-22-2005, 11:26 AM
If that's true, that's truly awful. Really the only way it could be any worse for Tony.

Although, there wouldn't be a good way to lose a child. I know given what I have been through with our kids, it hurts a lot when they are sick or act up in school. I just can't imagine what it would be like to have one taken away, regardless of the manner.

siberian khatru
12-22-2005, 11:27 AM

As bad as the grief would be, the guilt would be unbearable. I can't imagine the pain. I don't want to.

patteeu
12-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Now, this is classless.

Sad.

Are you a girl?

memyselfI
12-22-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm stunned.

Tony Dungy is without a doubt the classiest coach in any sport and my personal favorite. I'm so sad for him and his family and the entire Colts family. What a horrible week for such a fine person. :deevee:

BigMeatballDave
12-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Now, this is classless.

Sad.Gee, I'm sorry. I obviously give a flying **** what you think, so let me recant...
:rolleyes:

headsnap
12-22-2005, 12:15 PM
All you can say is d@mn. Sometimes life has a way of putting things in perspective.
"Too much ****ing perspective!!"

Thoughts and Prayers to the Dungy family.

Coach
12-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Holy smokes. That stinks for the Dungy family, especially with Christmas coming around the corner.

BigRock
12-22-2005, 12:19 PM
That's awful. :(

jidar
12-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Supposedly this is the boys myspace account:
oops edit: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=41899442
Looks like he might have been a victim of his lifestyle.
Tragic in any case.

ChiefFripp
12-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Terrible thing to happen to anyone. My thoughts go out to the Dungy family and anyone else who had to live through such a tragedy.

Brock
12-22-2005, 12:39 PM
oops edit: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=41899442
Tragic in any case.

That's ****ed up.

Coach
12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Tragic in any case.

Yeah, I saw that link.

Not so sure it would be his myspace account. Of course, anything is possible. :shrug:

KCChiefsMan
12-22-2005, 12:52 PM
thats just horrible, my condolences to the Dungy family

cdcox
12-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I saw that link.

Not so sure it would be his myspace account. Of course, anything is possible. :shrug:

Yep, its legit. Someone who had posted before his death just left an "I can't believe your gone..." note.

Coach
12-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Yep, its legit. Someone who had posted before his death just left an "I can't believe your gone..." note.

Yeah, I see that note. However, the bigger question remains though, is it really Tony Dungy's son account? Or could it been someone who was pretending to be Dungy's son. That was pretty much my question.

siberian khatru
12-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Tragic in any case.

Wow, that's like ... the anti-Tony.

cdcox
12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I see that note. However, the bigger question remains though, is it really Tony Dungy's son account? Or could it been someone who was pretending to be Dungy's son. That was pretty much my question.

So before the current situation unwinds, someone goes to all the trouble of making a MySpace account for a son of a celebrity, goes to the trouble of getting all the personal info right, makes My Friends with his friends in the real world without them detecting the deception...

And the imposter benefits from this how?

Scalper
12-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Its legit..I did some research with his friends list and it all matches..He said to one girl at 9 in the morning on wednesday that he cant talk to anyone ne more

Scalper
12-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Forget my last post but i do think this is him

4th and Long
12-22-2005, 05:05 PM
ESPN is reporting it was suicide.

Donger
12-22-2005, 05:07 PM

That sucks. I remember being that young and thinking some problems didn't seem possible to overcome.

4th and Long
12-22-2005, 05:09 PM
That sucks. I remember being that young and thinking some problems didn't seem possible to overcome.
Same here. Thankfully my parents instilled in me that life was precious.

BTW, his alleged myspace account is now saying, "This profile is undergoing routine maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience!"

Cops must be all over this one.

tk13
12-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Tony's a total class guy, probably isn't a more classy coach in the NFL. Pretty sad. Also amazing in this day and age how we're all so connected, within hours we can see the guy's myspace page and everything.

Calcountry
12-22-2005, 05:15 PM
What a tragedy. Dungy's at the highpoint of his career, it should be the best time of his life. My heart goes out to him and his family.Ditto.

Extra Point
12-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Losing a son or daughter is the most stressful event in a person's life, according to many psychologists. How sad for a man with such class. You just shake your head and ask, "What? Why?"

JBucc
12-22-2005, 06:05 PM
What sucks is now even if he wins the SB every time he looks back to this year this will be what pops into his head first

4th and Long
12-22-2005, 06:09 PM
What sucks is now even if he wins the SB every time he looks back to this year this will be what pops into his head first
Christmas is effectively ruined for his family for the rest of their days as well.

DenverChief
12-22-2005, 06:40 PM

Dungy's son committed suicide, police say

James, 18, found in apartment; assistant Caldwell takes over Colts for now

TAMPA, Fla. - James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead of an apparent suicide early Thursday, the sheriff’s office said.

James Dungy’s girlfriend found him when she returned to the Campus Lodge Apartments at about 1:30 a.m., Hillsborough County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Debbie Carter said.

“Based on evidence at the scene, indications are that this death appears to be a suicide,” Carter said. She said an autopsy was pending.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10572873/

Chiefs Pantalones
12-22-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm in shock.

I can't believe it's a suicide.

Frazod
12-22-2005, 09:28 PM
God that sucks. Probably offed himself over some stupid crap he wouldn't have thought twice about a few years later. :shake:

4th and Long
12-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Tragic in any case.
You can forget about ever seeing that back up on the web. It went from, "This profile is undergoing routine maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience!" to "Invalid Friend ID. This user has either cancelled their membership, or their acccount has been deleted."

Brock
12-22-2005, 09:32 PM
You can forget about ever seeing that back up on the web. It went from, "This profile is undergoing routine maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience!" to "Invalid Friend ID. This user has either cancelled their membership, or their acccount has been deleted."

Just as well. It was very troubling to his family, I'm sure.

Frazod
12-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Just as well. It was very troubling to his family, I'm sure.

I was too busy to look at this earlier today. What was this thing?

Dartgod
12-22-2005, 09:39 PM
I was too busy to look at this earlier today. What was this thing?
Looked like a bunch of gangsta shit to me.

Coach
12-22-2005, 09:40 PM

Alot of it.

Simply put, I guess you could say the Anti-Tony. :shrug:

Frazod
12-22-2005, 09:50 PM

Christ. :shake:

Chiefs Pantalones
12-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Alot of it.

Simply put, I guess you could say the Anti-Tony. :shrug:

James Dungy was probably rebellious or something. :shrug:

I really hope it wasn't a suicide.

Coach
12-22-2005, 10:00 PM
James Dungy was probably rebellious or something. :shrug:

I really hope it wasn't a suicide.

"Based on evidence at the scene, indications are that this death appears to be a suicide," Sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said. "There is no evidence to contradict that at this time." Police said there was no note found.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2268593

Chiefs Pantalones
12-22-2005, 10:02 PM
"Based on evidence at the scene, indications are that this death appears to be a suicide," Sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said. "There is no evidence to contradict that at this time." Police said there was no note found.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2268593

Yeah, I knew it was likely a suicide, but I was just hoping they found some evidence to where it wasn't. I can't believe Dungy's kid did that. He must have been going through a lot that no one knew about or something. Very sad. Dungy is great people.

chefsos
12-22-2005, 10:09 PM
A reporter on the radio said he hanged himself and that some troubling details, which he declined to spell out, are going to become public. Maybe that's the stuff you guys saw at myspace.

Mr. Kotter
12-22-2005, 10:19 PM
What a sad and tragic event....condolences to Tony Dungy and his family.

tommykat
12-22-2005, 10:29 PM
I am so sorry for Tony Dungy.........Loosing a child is more than most parents can deal with, but a suicde would be worse IMO. My prayers are with him and his family.

Tactical Funky
12-22-2005, 10:39 PM
This is horrible news.

My folks and I used to be neighbors with the Dungy family back when Tony was here with the Chiefs. We were all close friends, and I'm sure my parents will react with as much shock as I just received when I read the title of this thread.

From your old friend and neighbor, condolences for the untimely loss of James.

Mr. Kotter
12-22-2005, 10:45 PM
.........Loosing a child is more than most parents can deal with, but a suicde would be worse IMO. ....

No kidding.

Losing a child to suicide...would have been worse.

Sure-Oz
12-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah i tried to see his myspace but it was deleted, what was on that page if i may ask. Very sad news though.

Brock
12-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah i tried to see his myspace but it was deleted, what was on that page if i may ask. Very sad news though.

Just a bunch of wannabe gangsta stuff, a lot of marijuana and gang-related pics. Nothing too serious on the surface, but now....

cdcox
12-22-2005, 11:06 PM
The MySpace page had a Randy Moss background. James' face was covered by a black bandanna.
The mouse pointer was a pistol.
Had about 6 or 7 different logos related to pot: Stoned Mickey Mouse, Adidas pot logo, etc.
Some gang (Bloods??) related hand signal logos.
A bunch of rapper stuff.
FU in several places.
Personal stuff: born in Pittburgh, 6'-7", religion: Christian:other
A few notes from some friends, about the most revealing was "I haven't seen you in forever"
The site looked pretty new, maybe a month old, but maybe a half dozen friends shown. At least 3-4 hot chicks.
Some race related references.
Some references to football, but none to his dad.
Screen name: Dungy, several friends called him James.

Really sad. RIP James Dungy.

thebrad84
12-22-2005, 11:11 PM
This really is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. Not just because he was Dungy's son, but anyone deciding to commit suicide this time of the year is extremely sad. Why would anyone want to do something like this to his or her family? Committing suicide is hard enough on families and friends, but like others have already said, this will ruin all of their future christmas' and if the colts go on to win the SB, this will always be the first thing Tony thinks about, not his team's enormous accomplishments. Doing something like this at this time is incredibly selfish. I'm really hoping that more evidence comes out to indicate it was something other than suicide, because I just can't imagine why anyone would want to do this to their family at this time of the year. Just so sad.

Frazod
12-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Teenagers are by nature selfish and stupid. Sometimes, sadly, that can be fatal.

greg63
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
…Truly sad; thoughts and prayers out to the Dungy family.

Halfcan
12-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Teenagers are by nature selfish and stupid. Sometimes, sadly, that can be fatal.

Yep he wanted it to hurt his family. Merry Christmas Mom and Dad-bang!

I don't like Dungy but I would never wish this on anyone-it would be a loss I could never overcome-let alone continue to coach a Pro team.