PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs comment on pro bowl selections

Mr. Laz
12-22-2005, 09:10 AM
didn't see it posted :shrug:

Posted on Thu, Dec. 22, 2005
Five Chiefs off to Hawaii, Johnson will join veterans in Pro Bowl

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City StarBrian Waters treated himself to a hunk of chocolate cake — OK, two hunks. Will Shields acted as if he’d just scratched off another $1 winner in the Missouri Lottery.
Across the room, Larry Johnson slouched in his chair and fiddled with his cell phone while veterans, defensive guys, nearly every guy congratulated him. And if you looked closely, you saw it. Johnson cracked a smile.

The Chiefs’ angst-ridden running back made the Pro Bowl on Wednesday, seven weeks after replacing Priest Holmes and mere months after publicly yearning for more playing time. Johnson quietly soaked it in as four of his teammates — all offensive players — were also selected for a trip to Honolulu.

This is Johnson’s first Pro Bowl, and he earned it in the cold days after Nov. 1, when Holmes was out with a neck injury.

“I think I’m happier for him than for me,” said Waters, who along with Shields, Willie Roaf and Tony Gonzalez will be making a repeat trip to the Pro Bowl. “All of the things he’s had to go through. … He’s knocked down a lot of walls that have been placed around him.”

Johnson declined interview requests Wednesday, saying the local media have hammered him in the bad times and haven’t recognized much of the good. In seven starts, Johnson has put up seven straight 100-yard rushing games, a franchise record. His 1,019 rushing yards are the most in the NFL since Nov. 1, and his 12 rushing touchdowns are tied for first in the league during that period.

In an interview after he ran for a franchise-record 211 yards at Houston last month, Johnson said he cared most about how his teammates perceived him.

“I’d do anything for them dudes,” he said at the time.
On Wednesday, the Chiefs spread the love. Defensive end Jared Allen — who didn’t make the Pro Bowl despite having 10 sacks — was one of the first to congratulate Johnson in the locker room. Coach Dick Vermeil said the selection was a tribute to Johnson and the people who blocked for him.

“But really,” Vermeil said, “to him. To jump in as he’s done after playing part-time and then go full-time and earn the respect of the people, that vote is a tremendous tribute to him and his efforts.”
The guys who block for Johnson weren’t forgotten, either. Roaf and Shields were picked for the 11th time in their careers. Neither looked as if he’d make it by October, when Roaf was trying to come back from a hamstring injury and Shields got off to a slow start trying to help the young guys around him.

Roaf missed six games but was dominant enough in the other eight to get noticed. Shields pondered retirement in the offseason and sat for much of training camp because of back and knee problems.
Waters was the healthiest of the bunch and has started 69 straight games at left guard.

“I think,” Waters said, “we’ve been doing something right.”

Evidently, so has Gonzalez, whose numbers are down but his value is up. Gonzalez, Vermeil said, has established himself as the total package — playmaker and blocker. He had to when Roaf went out in the season opener against the Jets.

“It was probably my best year blocking-wise that I’ve had up to this point,” Gonzalez said. “So I’m proud for that part of it. The other stuff, I’ll pick it up again next year.”

Next year appears to be the biggest question for the NFL’s No. 2 offense and the Chiefs’ Hawaii five. Johnson will be back, but Roaf and Shields have had long thoughts about retirement.

Shields is 34 and has packed 205 straight starts into his career. He said Wednesday that he feels OK — better because he rested during training camp. Roaf appears to have a few miles left in his 320-pound body.
Waters said his linemate is refreshed after the injury. Vermeil said Roaf is still dominating after all these years.

“He’s a one-of-a-kind guy,” Vermeil said. “He’s the biggest, most explosive left tackle in football. There is not another one like him. They’ll be making a bronze thing of his head one day.
“If he wants to, he can probably do it again next year. He’s so gifted. I think he has to make up his mind what he wants to do with his future. But he’s truly a great football player.”

ptlyon
12-22-2005, 09:15 AM
"He’s knocked down a lot of walls that have been placed around him." (said Waters of Johnson

Well try knocking down a linebacker, LJ.

RedThat
12-22-2005, 09:17 AM
“He’s a one-of-a-kind guy,” Vermeil said. “He’s the biggest, most explosive left tackle in football. There is not another one like him. They’ll be making a bronze thing of his head one day.
“If he wants to, he can probably do it again next year. He’s so gifted. I think he has to make up his mind what he wants to do with his future. But he’s truly a great football player.”

I concur.

joesomebody
12-22-2005, 09:21 AM
The blocking will come, for now, just keep running the ball down their throats.

If you want to shun the media, good. If you want a bad boy reputation, fine, just stay out of serious trouble.

You were screwed for the most part since you got here, but you have to realize who you were backing up. Yes, you're a great back, and if you can keep up 75% of the production you've shown for at least 3 years, you'll be recognized for it.

Don't be another flash in the pan, work hard, practice hard, and stay out of trouble and stay healthy.

I'll admit I doubted you'd make much of an impact here. I cursed the day we drafted you, and hated every time you were mentioned in the news. I've changed my mind, and it was your playing hard that did that.

You were called out for your blocking, well work on it and try to do better. **** Fatlock, he's just trying to get in your head.

HemiEd
12-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Well try knocking down a linebacker that did not make the grade with the Chiefs defense, LJ.

I modified your post. :D

RedThat
12-22-2005, 09:29 AM
The blocking will come, for now, just keep running the ball down their throats.

If you want to shun the media, good. If you want a bad boy reputation, fine, just stay out of serious trouble.

You were screwed for the most part since you got here, but you have to realize who you were backing up. Yes, you're a great back, and if you can keep up 75% of the production you've shown for at least 3 years, you'll be recognized for it.

Don't be another flash in the pan, work hard, practice hard, and stay out of trouble and stay healthy.

I'll admit I doubted you'd make much of an impact here. I cursed the day we drafted you, and hated every time you were mentioned in the news. I've changed my mind, and it was your playing hard that did that.

You were called out for your blocking, well work on it and try to do better. **** Fatlock, he's just trying to get in your head.

Exactly...LJ if you happen to read this, don't listen to Whitlock. He is just a controversial sports writer who loves to stir up sh*t....Im sure Priest Holmes
will tell you the same thing. Anyway, Im sure you know what to do. As a fan I see you have the potential to be one of the greatest RB's ever. The blocking will come, its the only flaw in your game. Tony Gonzalez had trouble blocking during his years here, and improved with time. If he can do it, so can you....Im rooting for you all the way bud. Im happy to see your Chief! you have my support :thumb:

ChiefsfaninPA
12-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I wonder why no love for our defensive players?:deevee:

ptlyon
12-22-2005, 09:33 AM
I modified your post. :D

WOW

ptlyon
12-22-2005, 09:34 AM

Because they suck

RedThat
12-22-2005, 09:34 AM

Simple...its because our defense sucks...If our defense was any good, some of our players would possibly get some recognition.

Lzen
12-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Now do we all remember some KC reporter suggesting that certain players' absence in training camp was a major cause for concern? Who was that? Ronda Moss? Stupid reporter. Didn't she specifically mention Brian Waters when he was absent for personal reasons or something like that? ROFL

ptlyon
12-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Who was that? Ronda Moss?

Is she still alive?

ameliorated1216
12-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Who picked Lynch? I wouldn't have picked Wesley either, but I would have picked him over Lynch!

stevieray
12-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Now do we all remember some KC reporter suggesting that certain players' absence in training camp was a major cause for concern? Who was that? Ronda Moss? Stupid reporter. Didn't she specifically mention Brian Waters when he was absent for personal reasons or something like that? ROFL

she accused him of being out of shape, and on a donut to mouth diet.

Neil jones then joked about him smoking pot being the reason.

Then they all laughed.

:rolleyes:

Skyy God
12-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Who picked Lynch? I wouldn't have picked Wesley either, but I would have picked him over Lynch!

Rep pick. Happens all the time, including with Shields.

CoMoChief
12-23-2005, 02:13 AM
Does anyone think that Tony G got in because of his name and Todd Heap got snubbed? Personally I dont think Tony G deserves tp be a Pro Bowler this year. The game doesnt mean shit anyways so what do I know right?

Wallcrawler
12-23-2005, 02:34 AM
What other 2 DEs got in over Allen?

I know Freeney was in there, but I though Allen was the AFC's second leading sacker?

I havent checked in a while, but damn man. 10 sacks at the time of the tabulation and Allen doesnt get in? Thats why I disagree with the Pro Bowlers being determined before all games have been played. Allen could possibly end up with 12 or more sacks on the year if he gets just one in each of the next two games and still not get in.

beer bacon
12-23-2005, 02:43 AM
What other 2 DEs got in over Allen?

I know Freeney was in there, but I though Allen was the AFC's second leading sacker?

I havent checked in a while, but damn man. 10 sacks at the time of the tabulation and Allen doesnt get in? Thats why I disagree with the Pro Bowlers being determined before all games have been played. Allen could possibly end up with 12 or more sacks on the year if he gets just one in each of the next two games and still not get in.

JA is tied for 6th in the AFC in sacks. Burgess got in and he leads the AFC with 14. Vanden Bosch from the Titans has 12.5, but he didn't get in. Robert Mathis has 11.5, but he didn't get in. Jason Taylor has 11, and he got in. Freeney has 10.5, and he also got in.

The only thing Allen has over those guys is forced fumbles. He is tied for 1st in the league with Robert Mathis at seven.

Mecca
12-23-2005, 03:52 AM
Even if you have good stat's, it's hard to make the pro bowl on defense when the unit you play on is a running joke on national tv shows.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Even if you have good stat's, it's hard to make the pro bowl on defense when the unit you play on is a running joke on national tv shows.

Ain't that the truth. But I still beleive that fans shouldn't be able to vote. Look at all the idiots that we have post here (such as myself) and they are the guys voting.

Garcia Bronco
12-23-2005, 10:55 AM
What I want to know is what does Cdub and Nalen need to do to make the Pro Bowl at center

StcChief
12-23-2005, 11:24 AM
What I want to know is what does Cdub and Nalen need to do to make the Pro Bowl at center

Wait for our Center to retire and then go earn it.

Mecca
12-23-2005, 11:29 AM
As long as they are taking Roaf, Waters and Shields, no matter how good Wiegman is, he isn't going to make it. They will not take 4 lineman from the same team.