PDA

View Full Version : Foxsports: Vermeil will not Return

Zach
12-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Vermeil not expected to return as Chiefs' coach
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5195060

The Kansas City Chiefs will be looking for a new coach within the next eight or nine days if they miss the playoffs. If they make the first round of the playoffs and lose, they'll be looking for a new coach within 14-15 days.

Head coach Dick Vermeil will not be brought back as the team's head coach, even if the Chiefs make it to the playoffs. Vermeil has talked about whether or not he wants to come back but it will not be Vermeil's call. Instead, he'll either retire or simply be told they will not re-sign him following the team's last loss — unless they take a sudden and drastic run to the championship round, a long shot at best.

"It's no secret in the locker room," said one Chiefs vet. "We know what the deal is and I think Dick is showing signs that he knows too."

Basically, it's time for a change as the Chiefs tried it Vermeil's way, only to fall short of the ultimate prize. Now, as the team heads toward the final years of an aging offense, they're going to try a much-needed fresh approach.

Another rumor to squash is the status of Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders. Saunders, without a doubt, will not be the team's next head coach despite the recommendation of Vermeil. In fact, Vermeil doesn't have enough recommendations to get Saunders the head gig. That's not to say Saunders isn't held in high regard as the team's coordinator; he's simply not going to be the team's head coach.

Names to replace Vermeil include college coaches such as Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops as well as NFLers Herm Edwards (if he can get out of his Jets deal) and Washington's defensive coordinator Gregg Williams

Zach
12-24-2005, 04:40 PM
BTW- If anyone watched Vermeil's post game press conference he choked up and started crying when talking about taking Christmas off to be with the family.

Not unusual to see DV cry, but it is more fuel to the fire.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Looks like Warpaint Illustrated and Foxsports has officially collided.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-24-2005, 04:42 PM
BTW- If anyone watched Vermeil's post game press conference he choked up and started crying when talking about taking Christmas off to be with the family.

You know, I saw that same thing. It looked like DV got choked up because this is it.

eazyb81
12-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Good, hopefully King Carl makes the smart decision and goes with Gregg Williams or pulls a rabbit out of his hat and lands Bob Stoops.

But, most likely, he will bring in his buddy Herm Edwards. :banghead:

Chiefs Pantalones
12-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Carl will hire someone that he can push around.

Calcountry
12-24-2005, 04:46 PM
You know, I saw that same thing. It looked like DV got choked up because this is it.Kind of like when that last playoff game is over and you are a Senior High schooler who has no hope of playing college ball. It hits you, this is it.

It hit DV in that Press conference.

eazyb81
12-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Carl will hire someone that he can push around.

Sigh, I know.

Facing reality sucks.

Spott
12-24-2005, 04:53 PM
I doubt that Stoops or Carroll would come here. They both have jobs that are virtually guaranteed for as long as they want them, where as an NFL stint will get them 5 years of employment at max.

htismaqe
12-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Best news I've heard all day.

TRR
12-24-2005, 04:57 PM
If Al Saunders isn't given a shot at the Head Coaching spot, it will be the dumbest thing KC has done in a long time. You couldn't ask any more out of your offensive coordinator. It will be a sad day when Saunders walks out the door with Vermeil, because half of our offensive players will go with him.

If Saunders goes, that means both KC's offense and defense will be mediocre at best...

Alphaman
Good, hopefully King Carl makes the smart decision and goes with Gregg Williams or pulls a rabbit out of his hat and lands Bob Stoops.

We'll have to agree to disagree, but I think Edwards is a much better choice than either of those guys. Herm has had success as a HC. Williams has been a great DC, but failed miserably as a HC. College coaches with no NFL experience don't do well making the jump.

FringeNC
I wish we could keep Vermeil and fire Carl.

sedated
12-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Vermeil not expected to return as Chiefs' coach

:clap:

:toast:

:bravo:

:thumb:

chiefsfan1963
12-24-2005, 05:16 PM
that's plain sad if it's true!!!!!!!!

I guess marty, mohr, edwards, reid,bellick, turner, sherman, and tice will all lose their jobs too based on you guy's pathic mentality of what HC's should stay in their jobs!!!!!! :banghead:

ROYC75
12-24-2005, 05:19 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree, but I think Edwards is a much better choice than either of those guys. Herm has had success as a HC. Williams has been a great DC, but failed miserably as a HC. College coaches with no NFL experience don't do well making the jump.

Generally, I agree, but Jimmy Johnson would disagree. I think Saban has done a fine job too, just to name a few.

WebGem
12-24-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't care. I've accepted the fact that the Chiefs aren't going to win a Super Bowl in my life.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Al Saunders' mistreatment of LJ, Carl's new baby, sealed his fate in KC.

B2chiefsfan
12-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Time for change!!!!

He won't announce his retirement soon enough......!!!!!!

Should be the most interesting off-season in a long time.

Tribal Warfare
12-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Concerning Roaf, It's my gut feeling that he will retire. The NFL is hard to prepare for with the share of injuries that Willie has incurred. The question will be if Roaf feels healthy enough to go for a full season since he played nicked up for the better portion of the season. That's why I'm hammering the possiblity of his retirement, and KC's focus on OT's in the draft.

Frankie
12-24-2005, 05:30 PM

But, most likely, he will bring in his buddy Herm Edwards. :banghead:How stupid would it be if the Chiefs went with ANY of the names in your post? Al Saunders should be the next HC. He has earned it. I think he is gonna be the coaches version of Joe Horn for us. I hate to see him lead another team to success leaving us cursing the day we let him slip away. ESPECIALLY IF THAT TEAM IS OAKLAND RAIDERS!
:shake:

Frankie
12-24-2005, 05:34 PM
How stupid would it be if the Chiefs went with ANY of the names in your post? Al Saunders should be the next HC. He has earned it. I think he is gonna be the coaches version of Joe Horn for us. I hate to see him lead another team to success leaving us cursing the day we let him slip away. ESPECIALLY IF THAT TEAM IS OAKLAND RAIDERS!

That said, if not Al Saunders, my short list of coaches (unfortunately it's not up to me) would include:

Cam Cameron, Pete Carroll, Ron Rivera and maybe Mooch.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-24-2005, 05:36 PM
That said, if not Al Saunders, my short list of coaches (unfortunately it's not up to me) would include:

Cam Cameron, Pete Carroll, Ron Rivera and maybe Mooch.

Ron Rivera would be mine. I think we have to face that it's going to be someone that Carl can bully around.

SLAG
12-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Do you think thats why they went for it on 4th and 13 cuz vermiel knows its over and is just having fun with our chiefs?

Alphaman
12-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Generally, I agree, but Jimmy Johnson would disagree. I think Saban has done a fine job too, just to name a few.

There are exceptions absolutely. However, Saban coached in the NFL before going to Michigan State.

Jimmy Johnson is truly the exception to the rule.

Butch Davis, Steve Spurrier, Steve Mariucci, etc...

The only college coach I'd want is Weis if we could steal him from ND.

OldTownChief
12-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Do you think thats why they went for it on 4th and 13 cuz vermiel knows its over and is just having fun with our chiefs?

He was ask about that in the post game int. and he said he ask Tynes if he wanted to try a FG and Tynes told him he could'nt make it. I guess they could have punted it tho.

Tribal Warfare
12-24-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm on the Mike Trgovic for HC bandwagon

tk13
12-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I don't want a college coach unless he's had NFL experience. Guys like Carroll and Ferentz

(pause for htismaqe to clean up and return to the computer)

at least know what they're getting into. I think it would be a real learning experience for Stoops. I don't think there's any way Carroll comes here because he'd want more control than Carl will give him. I don't think Carl meddles too much but if he'll stick his nose in there from time to time, that wouldn't fly with Carroll.

Frankie
12-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Carl will hire someone that he can push around.Sadly that is probably true. He's fast becoming the next Al Davis.

Frankie
12-24-2005, 05:48 PM
If Al Saunders isn't given a shot at the Head Coaching spot, it will be the dumbest thing KC has done in a long time. You couldn't ask any more out of your offensive coordinator. It will be a sad day when Saunders walks out the door with Vermeil, because half of our offensive players will go with him.

If Saunders goes, that means both KC's offense and defense will be mediocre at best...

AMEN!
:banghead:

KCBOSS1
12-24-2005, 06:19 PM
I agree with chiefsfan1963 totally. I've been listening to you guys dog DV all year. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions that he makes, but He's an outstanding, proven HC and an outstanding person. It's not like there an abundance of superbowl head coaches out there to select from. I definitely hope that Dick stays.

We've got a good team and have had a good season overall, playoffs or not. Our defense is better and will be better still next year provided everybody stays. Put this team in any other division this year and we are at least a wild card and are possibly division champs.

Also, I wish that all of you guys that talk about jumping ship and quitting on the chiefs if DV stays around would just go ahead and get it over with, stop whining and jump. Do all of us a favor, stop venting and jump.

I hope that nobody leaves (except whiner 'fans')......a few more missing parts are picked up in the off season and DV, AL & Trent, Larry, Derrick, Willie, Will, Sammy and Patrick make another run at it next year.

BigRock
12-24-2005, 06:26 PM
It should probably be noted that Fox Sports isn't really reporting this, it's just Jay Glazer or whatever his name is. The guy with the "sources" who always talks about the "scoops" he has. If he really did have a scoop one day, it would probably die from loneliness.

Tribal Warfare
12-24-2005, 06:32 PM
I agree with chiefsfan1963 totally. I've been listening to you guys dog DV all year. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions that he makes, but He's an outstanding, proven HC and an outstanding person. It's not like there an abundance of superbowl head coaches out there to select from. I definitely hope that Dick stays.

We've got a good team and have had a good season overall, playoffs or not. Our defense is better and will be better still next year provided everybody stays. Put this team in any other division this year and we are at least a wild card and are possibly division champs.

Also, I wish that all of you guys that talk about jumping ship and quitting on the chiefs if DV stays around would just go ahead and get it over with, stop whining and jump. Do all of us a favor, stop venting and jump.

I hope that nobody leaves (except whiner 'fans')......a few more missing parts are picked up in the off season and DV, AL & Trent, Larry, Derrick, Willie, Will, Sammy and Patrick make another run at it next year.

This must be one of chiefsfan1963 aliases

Brock
12-24-2005, 06:33 PM

5 yrs + 0 playoff wins = Time to go.

stevieray
12-24-2005, 06:39 PM
5 yrs + 0 playoff wins = Time to go.

sad, but true.

unfortunately, unless Clark becomes hands on, or at least delegates GM to someone else, it's just another year of unaccountability amd underachieving.

LiL stumppy
12-24-2005, 06:45 PM

I don't think that would be as difficult as some think.I would rather Stoops stay with OU and we get Herm Edwards.I think he is a great coach.

Frankie
12-24-2005, 06:51 PM

:bravo: :thumb:

htismaqe
12-24-2005, 06:53 PM
sad, but true.

unfortunately, unless Clark becomes hands on, or at least delegates GM to someone else, it's just another year of unaccountability amd underachieving.

Jesus.

Carl Peterson has even sucked the spirit out of FDE.

We're doomed.

dirk digler
12-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Calling 3 2nd half timeouts in 1 series says all I need to know about the DV era.

Hammock Parties
12-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Calling 3 2nd half timeouts in 1 series says all I need to know about the DV era.

The 4th and 14 was a great call, too. :shake:

stevieray
12-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Jesus.

Carl Peterson has even sucked the spirit out of FDE.

We're doomed.

it's common sense, when the owner is around, you are on your toes.

has this team seemed on its toes....?

there is only one common denominator. bring in a gm and a revamped scouting department.

the other commmon denominator is regardless of who, it's our team do or die.

without hope, what's the use?

tk13
12-24-2005, 06:58 PM
The 4th and 14 was a great call, too. :shake:
What were we supposed to do there? Punt?

Hammock Parties
12-24-2005, 06:59 PM

Yeah, why not?

htismaqe
12-24-2005, 06:59 PM
it's common sense, when the owner is around, you are on your toes.

has this team seemed on its toes....?

there is only one common denominator. bring in a gm and a revamped scouting department.

the other commmon denominator is regardless of who, it's our team do or die.

without hope, what's the use?

So now maybe you see where I'm coming from?

It's not necessarily that DV isn't a good coach (he did win a Super Bowl after all).

I don't even really think that a new coach will be BETTER than we have now. It's certainly anything but guaranteed.

But a new coach brings with him HOPE. Something that I have lost completely with this coaching staff...

tk13
12-24-2005, 07:03 PM
I've said this before, but my philosophy on this stuff is that winning coaches are winning coaches. There's more than one way to skin a cat, but guys like Shanahan, Holmgren, Vermeil, etc... they are winning coaches. It's not an accident. They aren't going to be Super Bowl contenders every year because this is the NFL, things are always up and down, but in the end they're going to win games. I can understand people not liking the way DV does some things, but he's been successful everywhere he's ever been, except for KC, where the one common thread for the last 2 decades is Carl Peterson. In my book Carl is about 8000 times more deserving of losing his job than DV, but that's never gonna happen. It's gonna be interesting to see where Carl takes us.

htismaqe
12-24-2005, 07:05 PM
I've said this before, but my philosophy on this stuff is that winning coaches are winning coaches. There's more than one way to skin a cat, but guys like Shanahan, Holmgren, Vermeil, etc... they are winning coaches. It's not an accident. They aren't going to be Super Bowl contenders every year because this is the NFL, things are always up and down, but in the end they're going to win games. I can understand people not liking the way DV does some things, but he's been successful everywhere he's ever been, except for KC, where the one common thread for the last 2 decades is Carl Peterson. In my book Carl is about 8000 times more deserving of losing his job than DV, but that's never gonna happen. It's gonna be interesting to see where Carl takes us.

Yep. You'd see infinitely more "Fire Carl" sentiment, but people just aren't gonna put the hope and effort into something that just isn't gonna happen.

siberian khatru
12-24-2005, 07:08 PM

Take a delay of game penalty and punt, rather than call a timeout, yes.

JBucc
12-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Take a delay of game penalty and punt, rather than call a timeout, yes.Isn't that what Trent wanted to do? I thought I heard Cross or somebody say he didn't want to call a timeout but the coaches did

FringeNC
12-24-2005, 07:12 PM

It's not necessarily that DV isn't a good coach (he did win a Super Bowl after all).

I don't even really think that a new coach will be BETTER than we have now. It's certainly anything but guaranteed.

But a new coach brings with him HOPE. Something that I have lost completely with this coaching staff...

You do know there is a good chance that we will get rid of the DV/AS, and keep Gunther. We are going to lose the offensive braintrust of this team, and the offense is the only reason to watch this team, and a new coach is going to have less power, with it reverting back to Carl.

The high-powered offense of this team WAS the only HOPE. Now that will probably be gone.

Really, the only hope is that we hire Shea or Solari or Verduczo as OC, keep the same system, and maybe we can still have a top notch offense for a few years. After that, we're doomed. I have no faith in Carl to rebuild through the draft. It's win with this offense and an improved D (Gregg Williams?) in the next couple years, or not win until Carl is gone.

FringeNC
12-24-2005, 07:13 PM

Yep, that's my take on it, too.

htismaqe
12-24-2005, 07:19 PM
You do know there is a good chance that we will get rid of the DV/AS, and keep Gunther. We are going to lose the offensive braintrust of this team, and the offense is the only reason to watch this team, and a new coach is going to have less power, with it reverting back to Carl.

The high-powered offense of this team WAS the only HOPE. Now that will probably be gone.

Really, the only hope is that we hire Shea or Solari or Verduczo as OC, keep the same system, and maybe we can still have a top notch offense for a few years. After that, we're doomed. I have no faith in Carl to rebuild through the draft. It's win with this offense and an improved D (Gregg Williams?) in the next couple years, or not win until Carl is gone.

There's absolutely no evidence to support that. All signs point to a complete dumping of the existing coaching staff. All of them, even Gunther, have no contract after this season.

stevieray
12-24-2005, 07:21 PM

It all starts at the top. clark needs to be there on draft day, which he will, and he needs to be on the sidelines at mini camp and TC. I want the threat of up front 'termination' in the players faces.

or at least, let CP be President and CEO, and bing in another GM.

what are the odds?

BigMeatballDave
12-24-2005, 08:59 PM
If Al Saunders isn't given a shot at the Head Coaching spot, it will be the dumbest thing KC has done in a long time. Oh, puh-leez. Saunders as HC is a stoopid move. As stoopid as Goonther as HC...

12-24-2005, 09:04 PM
It all starts at the top. clark needs to be there on draft day, which he will, and he needs to be on the sidelines at mini camp and TC. I want the threat of up front 'termination' in the players faces.

or at least, let CP be President and CEO, and bing in another GM.

what are the odds?

As long as King Carl is not GM I don't care what they do. Of course that won't happen. :cuss::cuss:

Brock
12-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Oh, puh-leez. Saunders as HC is a stoopid move. As stoopid as Goonther as HC...

I have no idea why you would say that. Saunders might make a damn fine head coach.

BigMeatballDave
12-24-2005, 09:11 PM
I am sick of people talking about Saunders as HC. He would be an awful HC, here. If you make a coaching change, you have to change EVERYTHING.
Otherwise, you just have a repeat of '99-2000 all over again...

BigMeatballDave
12-24-2005, 09:13 PM
I have no idea why you would say that. Saunders might make a damn fine head coach.Gunther had some good defenses here, he was lousy as a HC...

Brock
12-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Gunther had some good defenses here, he was lousy as a HC...

Gunther never consistently put together a defense that functioned as consistently as Saunders' offense has. Also, Gunther has the disadvantage of being insane.

Skip Towne
12-24-2005, 09:26 PM
I don't think that would be as difficult as some think.I would rather Stoops stay with OU and we get Herm Edwards.I think he is a great coach.
Yeah, Lil Stumppy, I'd prefer Stoops remain at OU as well but OU fans don't tolerate 7-4 seasons. Why are you an OU fan? They SUCK!!!!

BigMeatballDave
12-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Gunther never consistently put together a defense that functioned as consistently as Saunders' offense has. Also, Gunther has the disadvantage of being insane.I won't argue with that. Saunders reminds me of Norv Turner. Great OC-Lousy HC. Brian Bilick, also. Yes, he won a SB, but HE didn't win it. That D did. Bilick could've put 11 chimps on O and still won with that D...

chiefqueen
12-24-2005, 09:46 PM

When I heard DV gave the coaches tomorrow off my first was will guards be posted to keep workaholic Gun away.

SLAG
12-24-2005, 10:17 PM
When I heard DV gave the coaches tomorrow off my first was will guards be posted to keep workaholic Gun away.
:spock:

John Matrix
12-24-2005, 10:24 PM
I'd rather have Saunders as HC than any of those 4 other pieces of trash.

splatbass
12-24-2005, 10:37 PM

A great coach wouldn't have hired proven losers like Paul Hackett and Jimmy Raye. You don't want those two back here do you?

12-24-2005, 10:42 PM
A great coach wouldn't have hired proven losers like Paul Hackett and Jimmy Raye. You don't want those two back here do you?

Good enough reason for me.:banghead:

milkman
12-25-2005, 12:02 AM

I'm not defending Carl here, but wasn't he the Eagles GM when Dick took that team to the SB?

Hog Rider
12-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Mr. Vermeil will be the coach again next year.

Frankie
12-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Oh, puh-leez. Saunders as HC is a stoopid move. As stoopid as Goonther as HC...
And you base this revelation on....?

Frankie
12-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Good enough reason for me.:banghead:
Yep. No stooges. No GRob. And soon No Giunta in KC please. Any HC candidate who even thinks about having any of those 5 on his staff automatically loses my vote.

htismaqe
12-25-2005, 06:27 AM
I'm not defending Carl here, but wasn't he the Eagles GM when Dick took that team to the SB?

Oh no, even better.

He joined the Eagles as WR/TE Coach and was DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL for 4 seasons, including their Super Bowl season.