PDA

View Full Version : Why does SD need to lose to Denver?

Nightwish
12-27-2005, 02:16 AM
All the write-ups I've seen say that for us to get into the playoffs, we need to beat Cincinatti (understood), Pittsburgh needs to lose to Detroit (understood, as we have tie-breaker by virtue of our win over New England), and Sandy Eggo needs to lose to Denver. That's the part I'm not quite sure if I understand. Since they're already mathematically eliminated, why does their performance against Denver matter? I understand that they do own a tie-breaker against us, further down the line, but they are eliminated at the top level by virtue of their head-to-head loss to Pittsburgh, so shouldn't they already be out of the mix by the time it got far enough down the list of catagories to where SD has the tie-breaker over the Chiefs? Or does it only work that way when all three teams in a 3-way tie are from the same division? Since Pittsburgh is not in our division, is the division tie-breaker decided first, and the emergent team from that tie-breaker pitted against the non-division tied team? Is that why SD must lose?

tk13
12-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Division tiebreakers always go first. That's why. We can beat Pittsburgh on tiebreakers, but not San Diego.

Nightwish
12-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Thanks. That's kind of what I suspected, but I wasn't sure.

Ultra Peanut
12-27-2005, 03:30 AM
And so, with that settled...

runnercyclist
12-28-2005, 02:48 PM
This doesnt clear it up for me? But I'm sure there is a theread on here that explains it better?

chiefs4me
12-28-2005, 02:52 PM
All the write-ups I've seen say that for us to get into the playoffs, we need to beat Cincinatti (understood), Pittsburgh needs to lose to Detroit (understood, as we have tie-breaker by virtue of our win over New England), and Sandy Eggo needs to lose to Denver. That's the part I'm not quite sure if I understand. Since they're already mathematically eliminated, why does their performance against Denver matter? I understand that they do own a tie-breaker against us, further down the line, but they are eliminated at the top level by virtue of their head-to-head loss to Pittsburgh, so shouldn't they already be out of the mix by the time it got far enough down the list of catagories to where SD has the tie-breaker over the Chiefs? Or does it only work that way when all three teams in a 3-way tie are from the same division? Since Pittsburgh is not in our division, is the division tie-breaker decided first, and the emergent team from that tie-breaker pitted against the non-division tied team? Is that why SD must lose?

what?????:shrug:

Mr. Flopnuts
12-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm gonna do my best here. When you have 3 or more teams competing for one playoff spot. The first tiebreaker is to determine the top competing team from each division. Since San Diego would have the tiebreaker on us with strength of victory that would eliminate us, and move them on against pittsburg. Pittsburg beat Sandy Eggo in the regular season so they would get the spot. It's strange however with multiple teams competing for one spot the first tiebreaker is the one that eliminates all but one team from each division.

tk13
12-28-2005, 02:56 PM
This doesnt clear it up for me? But I'm sure there is a theread on here that explains it better?
Here:

PIT 10-5
SD 9-6
KC 9-6

SD and PIT lose, KC wins:

PIT 10-6
KC 10-6
SD 9-7

KC and PIT finished tied, KC wins the tiebreaker over PIT due to conference record.

Now, try again, PIT loses, SD and KC both win:

PIT 10-6
SD 10-6
KC 10-6

Three way tie. By rule, division ties MUST be broken first. That means we must break the SD and KC tie first. SD has the tiebreaker over the Chiefs due to common games. Therefore, the Chiefs are eliminated. That leaves SD vs. PIT, and PIT won their head to head matchup. So Pittsbugh would get in the playoffs.

chefsos
12-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm gonna do my best here. When you have 3 or more teams competing for one playoff spot. The first tiebreaker is to determine the top competing team from each division. Since San Diego would have the tiebreaker on us with strength of victory that would eliminate us, and move them on against pittsburg. Pittsburg beat Sandy Eggo in the regular season so they would get the spot. It's strange however with multiple teams competing for one spot the first tiebreaker is the one that eliminates all but one team from each division.

That's it. Actually it's common opponents that SD beats us on, but the result's the same.

Maybe one of the 667 threads explaining this should be stickied.

ct
12-28-2005, 03:07 PM
In other words, KC is dooommmmeed!!