PDA

View Full Version : Why does Sammie Parker catch the ball and sit down?

Herzig
12-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Is he that afraid of contact? He seems to never run after the catch. Anyone else notice this?

Hydrae
12-27-2005, 11:34 AM
I have been noticing that Dante seems to do that a lot too. Maybe the coaches were tired of the fumbles during the run after the catch? :shrug:

SCChief
With his penchant for fumbling on long runs after a catch, I would PREFER him to just sit down as long as he has made the first down with his catch.

Mr. Laz
after fumbling the ball 2/3 times during running after catch i believe he's a little "fumble shy"

Herzig
12-27-2005, 11:38 AM
after fumbling the ball 2/3 times during running after catch i believe he's a little "fumble shy"

I've noticed this all season. I don't want a tentative pussy receiver on the Chiefs that fumbles on contact. He's a liability.

harpes
12-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Most of the catches he has made he isnt left a lot of running room and with his size there is good chance for the ball to come out on the big hit. Remember turnovers have been game killers and a first down extends the series. It also takes up more time so it keeps our Def. off the field a little longer.

Amnorix
12-27-2005, 11:57 AM
I know that Deion Branch, the Pats speedy little receiver who is superb, does the same thing. The main reason is that he just isn't that big. If it's a situation where he's definitely going to get tackled, he just sits down or goes out of bounds and avoids taking any hits.

Believe me, I have no problem with this. When Deion is hurt, it hurts our offense quite a bit. He'll go over the middle and catch the ball in traffic, etc., so he's not a wimp. I'm sure the coaches have approved/reinforced this idea, as he's missed a couple games at least each of the last few years.

BigChiefFan
12-27-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm just happy to have somebody on the team, that can contribute in the receiving game. He's got alot of room to get better, but he's shown signs of improvement.

nychief
12-27-2005, 12:05 PM
He has a chance to be a pretty decent reciever in the NFL... shook off the early season problems and will end up with near 40 catches. Hopefully he only gets better.

Bill Lundberg
12-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Marvin Harrison has made quite a career out of doing just this.

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 12:13 PM
I see alot more of this now than you use to. Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt are 2 that do it alot.

If the D can't hit you then the probablility of getting hurt or fumbling goes down alot.

cdcox
12-27-2005, 12:18 PM
When one of our midgets catches the ball for a first down, I frequently yell, "Now get down!" at the TV for fear of a fumble.

mac58
12-27-2005, 12:27 PM
ive noticed it all ****ing year the guys a bum

sedated
12-27-2005, 12:30 PM
As long as he has the first down, he can lay down and jerk himself off for all I care.

Just don't fumble

B_Ambuehl
12-27-2005, 12:33 PM
For the same reason that he has also dropped a lot of passes. It has nothing to do with fumbling or getting hit he does it because he's trying too hard to catch the football. Notice that he only does it when he has time to see the ball coming in thus "time" to think about what he's doing and "time" to think about messing up. He's catching the football like it's a 10 million dollar piece of fine glass or something. He's trying so hard not to drop passes that he ends up catching the ball with his body and falling straight to the ground like that..basically he's just nervous as hell that's all.

When a guy is loose and relaxed the hands are nice and soft. When a guy is tense and nervous the hands are one of the first things to go. When a receiver's hands go then he's forced to catch the ball with his body. I've never seen Parker practice but i seriously doubt if he catches the football in practice with his body the way he does in games simply becasue the mentality is different.

You see Chris Horn do exactly the same thing for the same reasons.

Johnson&Johnson
12-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Stop focusing on the WRs. A lot of times, a speedy wideout like Parker don't run after a catch is because of their route and sometimes it's because of the delivery of the football.

Most of the curl or hook routes does not allow a receiver much chance of running after the catch especially when your QB (Green) delivers the football awfully late or too low. When a WR has to turnaround and make a catch and the ball comes late, it looses all momentum for them to spin around and take off let alone hearing footsteps from a SS or FS coming to lay a big hit on your back.

When you see Dante's and Boe's crossing route in the middle, most times, they catch the ball in strides and they will continue to run (that's if when Green deliver the ball in front of them, not behind where the WR has to slow down or stop to wait for the ball)

Samie Parker has the ability to stretch D's which is what we've been missing since the days of Willie Davis. Just put him on a seam and stretch the Ds. With Parker's speed and LJ tough running, Defense in 2006 has to pick which to defend.

DBs can't play man and press on Parker's side. Safeties have to stay discipline and not come out to stop our run, unlike before where no defense respect our WR corps.

Defense can't bring 8 man to the box for that same reason. There's also the possibility of LJ running the draw if defense blitz.

all in all, the emergence of LJ and Parker will be a fruitful one in seasons to come. Now we just need a damn QB with accuracy, zip, composure, and youth. (Green has all but zip and youth)

So...who's our next QB? Green is 37 next year.

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 01:14 PM
I have been noticing that Dante seems to do that a lot too. Maybe the coaches were tired of the fumbles during the run after the catch? :shrug:

Remember the first couple of games Dante got jacked up two games in a row. He hasn't hit the hole hard since.

ptlyon
12-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Remember the first couple of games Dante got jacked up two games in a row. He hasn't hit the hole hard since.

my condolances.

I guess. :spock:

sedated
12-27-2005, 01:36 PM
He hasn't hit the hole hard since.

the ladies at The Drink beg to differ

Pitt Gorilla
12-27-2005, 02:01 PM
I see alot more of this now than you use to. Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt are 2 that do it alot.

If the D can't hit you then the probablility of getting hurt or fumbling goes down alot.Exactly. I can't believe that people have a problem with this. I'd rather him be healthy and keep the ball than be "tough."

InChiefsHeaven
12-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Give Parker another season. He is fast as hell and his hands are improving. Just needs some more maturity and he will be a damn good reciever for us.

3rd year will be the magic number for Samie.

Ultra Peanut
12-27-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't want a tentative pussy receiver on the ChiefsYeah, it would suck to have a guy like Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt.

Also, I'd like to see LJ learn to duck out of bounds rather than invite unnecessary contact, if at all possible. There's no glory in getting an extra half-foot when you already have a first down, and the extra wear and tear incurred in the process can build up if you're not careful. I have doubts he'd ever be willing to do it, since he runs with rage, but it would be a good way of avoiding needless injuries.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Has anybody thought that maybe he is tired. Running routes is tiring. And then combine the shock that he must be in that he actually caught it, his only reaction is to sit and savor a catch.

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Is he that afraid of contact? He seems to never run after the catch. Anyone else notice this?

When I was younger and played backyard ball, I used to catch the ball on my knees cause I didnt want to drop the ball. I wonder if he is doing the same thing? That way if it hit my knees I could still pull it in. Now I can catch anything thrown at me.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-27-2005, 03:50 PM
I didn't know Samie was so disliked by some. He gets 47 yrds a game as the third passing option (and 68 the last 5 games) . After early season struggles he hasn't dropped nearly as many passes as kennison. I've been pleased with his receiver instincts. 3 tds isn't great but he hasn't played the whole season. Plus he keeps Horn off the field.

Ultra Peanut
12-27-2005, 03:51 PM
I didn't know Samie was so disliked by some.He's a Chiefs' draft pick. Of course he's disliked.

mike_b_284
12-27-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't know why you wouldn't like Horn. That guy plays with more heart than any Chief out there (except maybe LJ.) He is not the best by any means but makes up for it by busting his ass every chance he gets.

Mike in SW-MO
12-27-2005, 04:13 PM
The only glaring time with Parker was that catch over the middle in the Giants game. Nobody within 10-15 yards of him and Green delivered the ball right in his middle.

Parker folds up around the ball and curled into a fetal position until one of the Giants walked up and tagged him. Looked ugly and he left some yards on the table.

But he got the first down.

mike_b_284
12-27-2005, 05:23 PM
The only glaring time with Parker was that catch over the middle in the Giants game. Nobody within 10-15 yards of him and Green delivered the ball right in his middle.

Parker folds up around the ball and curled into a fetal position until one of the Giants walked up and tagged him. Looked ugly and he left some yards on the table.

But he got the first down.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this the catch he made right after fumbling the ball after trying to run it?

morphius
12-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this the catch he made right after fumbling the ball after trying to run it?
And he wanted to make sure that we got the first down, because it was 3rd down.

Valiant
12-27-2005, 05:49 PM

Because he will fumble the damn thing if he does not... Same with Dante...

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 06:43 PM
I don't know why you wouldn't like Horn. That guy plays with more heart than any Chief out there (except maybe LJ.) He is not the best by any means but makes up for it by busting his ass every chance he gets.

Sometimes busting one's ass can't overcome the fact that one has no talent...

LiL stumppy
12-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Coaches alway tell our WR to do that in high school IF you know your not going any where else. Saves the chance of a injury and fumble.Kind of the same way with a RB running down the side lines, you usaly see them run out of bounds instead of trying to get the extra yards.

Herzig
12-28-2005, 08:41 AM
"Sit Down" Samie

Fire Me Boy!
12-28-2005, 08:47 AM
As long as he has the first down, he can lay down and jerk himself off for all I care.
I'd be willing to bet you hated Johnnie Morton's "worm" dance, though. :shake:

Pants
12-28-2005, 09:56 AM
"Sit Down" Samie

You'll be eating a lot of tasty crow next season, friend.

QuikSsurfer
12-28-2005, 11:18 AM

nm that. your signature girl is really making me feel alive. who is that beautiful babe?

jspchief
12-28-2005, 11:36 AM
The excuses crack me up. He's tired from running routes. He wants to avoid contact. He's concentrating too hard on catching the ball (incorrectly) with his body.

It's the by-product of Vermeil's hard-on for small receivers. God forbid we get a WR that can actually play full contact football.