PDA

View Full Version : Viewing cataclysmic events

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Which of the following would you be most interested in seeing as a spectator? Assume that you would be experiencing the event via some sort of magical technology where you can be on-site at any location you choose, and that you would be safe from harm.

Please accept my apologies ahead of time if anyone finds this offensive. I'm thinking more in terms of property damage than loss of life, so please think of the physical event as opposed to anything gory.

Poll hurtling toward you at breakneck speed, destroying everything in its path.

SLAG
12-27-2005, 04:58 PM
That was not at breakneck speed... Id say Granny in a one wheel wheelchair is faster than that poll

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 05:00 PM
You suck at poles

Thig Lyfe
12-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Why isn't the second half of the Chiefs-Eagles game on the list?

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Okay, perhaps a better explanation is that the poll was coming slowly but inexorably, like the molasses in the Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919.*

*Okay, the molasses moved quickly, but I'm all about creating a visual image here, and sometimes you have to ignore key facts to make a point.

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 05:05 PM

The trauma is still too fresh.

I debated between Hurricane Katrina, the New Madrid Earthquake, and the Krakatoa explosion. While Krakatoa would be cool, I think New Madrid would be more interesting. Watching the Mississippi flow backwards for a couple of days would be quite intriguing, especially during those few moments when the flow actually reversed.

SLAG
12-27-2005, 05:06 PM

I was there I felt Like My House just got blown up

Oh wait

It did

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah. Let's assume that you can rewind.

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 05:09 PM
I would have loved to have seen the Atomic bomb aftermath or the Titanic.

But then again, I couldve gotten a hold of some cheap gear following the Katrina aftermath.

JBucc
12-27-2005, 05:10 PM
I'll go with the A-bomb, but I'd wanna see Mt. Vesuvius blowing up too

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 05:13 PM
I hear there was some easy ass to be scored at the SuperDome, too.

Damn and I always wanted the clap too.

morphius
12-27-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd have to go with a super volcano explosion, the expected comet explosion in Tunguska, or hell, since we are talking magic here, how about the mars size object that crashed into Earth to create the moon.

At least those would be my top 3 I guess.

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Oh, hey. That Siberian strike would've been a good one to add.

Ultra Peanut
12-27-2005, 05:39 PM
This is actually kind of tough. I'm thinking the New Madrid earthquake sort of hit close to home (geddit?), as well as being a staggering event of epic magnitude, so it's a leading candidate.

The Asian tsunami is another one. Just such a mindblowingly HUGE geological event, that would be both horrifying and somewhat entrancing to see from various locations. None of the video and photos that are available even do it justice, as shocking and awe-inspiring as some of them are.

I'll go with the A-bomb, but I'd wanna see Mt. Vesuvius blowing up tooAnd the subsequent destruction of Pompeii? Interesting.

chefsos
12-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Setting all goulishness aside, I think it would be WTC. It's just amazing that two buildings that big could just crumble that way, in that city setting, with debris and dust racing up and down the streets.

Matt Helm
12-27-2005, 05:43 PM
I saw one event on film, over and over again, and one in real time.

The USS Forrestal fire was used as a training film for years in the Navy.

The collision between the USS Belknap and the USS John F. Kennedy was a tremendous accident. We spent the night attempting to assist in fighting the fire on the Belknap, the whole ship seemed to be on fire. There was a few crewmembers on the foc'sle and some on the fantail. I don't remember how many died.

trndobrd
12-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Could I watch the Apocolypse as described in the book of Revelations? I've always been curious about the role of John Elway.