PDA

View Full Version : LJ is AFC Offensive Player of the Week...again

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 11:28 AM
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2005/12/28/johnson_claims_afc_offensive_player_of_the_week_honors_again/

JOHNSON CLAIMS AFC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS AGAIN
Dec 28, 2005, 8:33:02 AM

The National Football League informed the Chiefs on Wednesday that RB Larry Johnson has been named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance vs. San Diego (12/24). It marks the second time Johnson has been selected for the award this season. He also earned the honor after setting a single-game franchise record with 211 rushing yards at Houston (11/20). Johnson is the first Chiefs player to be named AFC Offensive Player of the Week twice in one season since RB Priest Holmes accomplished the feat in 2001. In addition, Johnson was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Month in November.

Johnson (6-1, 230) carried the ball 32 times for 131 yards with one TD in Kansas City’s 20-7 win vs. San Diego (12/24). The third-year back also hauled in four receptions for 48 yards, including an impressive 28-yard TD reception. Despite wet and muddy conditions at Arrowhead, Johnson finished the game with 179 yards of total offense and extended his franchise record with his eighth consecutive 100-yard rushing game.

Named to his initial Pro Bowl this season, Johnson owns 1,549 rushing yards on the season, leading the AFC and ranking third in the NFL. That rushing yardage total currently ranks as the third-best single-season tally in Kansas City history. He needs just 67 more yards to break the Chiefs record of 1,615 yards established by Holmes in 2002.

Over his last eight games, Johnson has produced 235 carries for 1,150 yards (143.8 ypg) and 13 TDs. His 1,150 rushing yards and 1,405 yards from scrimmage are both the highest totals in the NFL since November 1st. Meanwhile, only Seattle RB Shaun Alexander (27) owns more rushing TDs than Johnson (17) and San Diego RB LaDainian Tomlinson (17) over the entire season.

Johnson has averaged a remarkable 143.8 rushing ypg in eight starts this season. Projected over an entire 16-game schedule, those numbers would translate into 2,300 rushing yards or 195 yards more than the NFL single-season record of 2,105 established by Hall of Fame RB Eric Dickerson with the L.A. Rams in ‘84. Johnson is in his third season with the Chiefs after joining the club as a first-round selection out of Penn State in the 2003 NFL Draft.

Rain Man
12-28-2005, 11:33 AM
LJ is going to be a star.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-28-2005, 11:41 AM
if you can catch NFL Networks' Sounds of the Game. The Chiefs segment is the first one in the second half hour of the hour long show. A lot of LJ. They show the TD catch several times from different angles

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 11:41 AM
LJ is going to be a star.

Going to be? I think he already is.

Rain Man
12-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Going to be? I think he already is.

I think he is, too, which made my prediction pretty safe. I like to keep a high batting average on that kind of thing.

jspchief
12-28-2005, 11:46 AM
If you averaged LJ's attempts as a starter over an entire season, he would shatter the current NFL record for rushing attempts in a season by 70 carries. That's two whole games worth of extra rushes.

I don't care about him getting 2300 yards if it shortens his career by 5 years.

ptlyon
12-28-2005, 11:46 AM
SHOW ME THE MONEY time!

SCTrojan
12-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Dude has been otherworldly for the last half of the season. I think he is definitely a rising star in the league, but he has to produce at this level for a few more seasons to be a true star IMO.

Mecca
12-28-2005, 12:00 PM
If you averaged LJ's attempts as a starter over an entire season, he would shatter the current NFL record for rushing attempts in a season by 70 carries. That's two whole games worth of extra rushes.

I made a comment similiar to this a few weeks ago. i said at this rate we'd turn him in to Eddie George just in a quicker fashion. Larry will have 3-4 productive years at that rate of touches over a season.

What response did I get for saying that? I know atleast one person said to me "So, I don't care aslong as we win games. We can get another RB when he's done."

StcChief
12-28-2005, 12:00 PM
LJ is on his way, let's hope it's in KC for a long time.

jspchief
12-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I made a comment similiar to this a few weeks ago. i said at this rate we'd turn him in to Eddie George just in a quicker fashion. Larry will have 3-4 productive years at that rate of touches over a season.

What response did I get for saying that? I know atleast one person said to me "So, I don't care aslong as we win games. We can get another RB when he's done."Unfortunately, LJ running appears to have nothing to do with winning. Our last three losses have come with Johnson gaining over 100 yards.

Rain Man
12-28-2005, 12:05 PM

Yeah. I was telling a friend of mine during the Giants game that LJ could have a career like Earl Campbell's - spectacular, but he won't last a decade. That type of running style is hard on a body.

InChiefsHeaven
12-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately, LJ running appears to have nothing to do with winning. Our last three losses have come with Johnson gaining over 100 yards.

LIkewise it has nothing to do with losing...

...that'd be the defense...

...now if we could just get a new coordinator and some new players...oh wait...SHIT! :mad:

Wile_E_Coyote
12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Johnson, Porter and McGee named AFC's top players
Posted: 12/28/2005 12:40:59 PM

http://www.whptv.com/sports/story.aspx?content_id=12D99B95-8B3F-42E6-8A3D-08B3B20491C7

Johnson captured the offensive award for the second time this season. He ran for 131 yards with a touchdown on 32 carries and added four receptions for 48 yards with another score in Kansas City's 20-7 victory over San Diego.

The third-year veteran has eight consecutive 100-yard rushing games and his 1,549 yards this season are the third-most in Chiefs history.

Porter had three sacks and a forced fumble in Pittsburgh's 41-0 rout of Cleveland to capture defensive honors. It was his fourth career weekly award.

McGee returned a kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown in Buffalo's 37-27 upset at Cincinnati to claim the special teams award. He averaged 44 yards on five kickoff returns, but also came up with the game-sealing touchdown on defense by returning an interception 46 yards for a score in the final minute.

Other nominees for the offensive award included Pittsburgh running back Willie Parker, who rushed for 130 yards with an 80-yard touchdown against Cleveland; New England's Mike Vrabel, who caught a pair of touchdown passes and had six tackles in a Monday night win against the Jets; Baltimore wide receiver Derrick Mason, who had nine receptions for 103 yards and a touchdown in a win against Minnesota; and Miami running back Ricky Williams, who ran for 172 yards with a touchdown in a victory against Tennessee.

Defensive candidates included Miami's Vonnie Holliday, who had five tackles, one sack, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and a pass defensed against Tennessee; Pittsburgh linebacker Larry Foote, who had eight tackles with a sack and a forced fumble against Cleveland; and Kansas City cornerback Patrick Surtain, who had seven tackles and an interception against San Diego.

Miami punter Donnie Jones and Baltimore kicker Matt Stover were others considered for the special teams award.

ChiefsFanatic
12-28-2005, 02:33 PM

He has been getting some junk carries at the end of games, though. I bet he gets 5-7 crap carries each game, when it does not really matter if he gets yards or not.

Jim Jones
12-28-2005, 07:21 PM

What response did I get for saying that? I know atleast one person said to me "So, I don't care aslong as we win games. We can get another RB when he's done."

Well it's true. Just like all the LJ-jockers told us Priest fans to "let go" and "move on" and not get so attached to him, when LJ breaks down he breaks down, we move him out and find someone else.

We have to squeeze everything out of him while we can. RB is one of the easiest positions to find. If he breaks down we'll get someone else.

nychief
12-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately, LJ running appears to have nothing to do with winning. Our last three losses have come with Johnson gaining over 100 yards.

so have our last three wins, dufus. He has rushed for 100+ for eight straight weeks.

Halfcan
12-28-2005, 08:36 PM
And some folks doubt they we could get at least a number one in a trade? I think he will sign a big extension before next year. Or they might f#ck with him to piss him off even more. Maybe DV can make another diapers comment before the Bangles game and he will break the rushing record for a single game??