PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Dick comes back...

KCJake
12-29-2005, 12:47 AM
With all this talk about who DV's replacement will be, I got to thinking, what if Dick Vermeil comes back?? Everyone is just assuming he will step down at the end of the season. Nothing has come out of his mouth to make me think he's retiring.

Logical
12-29-2005, 12:48 AM
I will not be planning on playoffs or rebuilding for next year if he comes back. Sure hope not.

Rausch
12-29-2005, 12:51 AM
Losing teams rebuild...

luv
12-29-2005, 12:54 AM
Losing teams rebuild...
But who are we losing next season? If we lose some seasoned vets, we'll basically have to start over.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2005, 12:57 AM
If DV comes back, I'll really have to think hard about purchasing NFL Sunday Ticket...

Logical
12-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Losing teams rebuild...This team is two veterans from being a losing team

Rausch
12-29-2005, 01:05 AM
This team is two veterans from being a losing team

Any team that says rebuild has already accepted losing the following year. In fact, it becomes part of their plan.

In today's NFL it's just not necessary. It happens, but it doesn't have to. It happens because of poor cap management and poor player evaluation and drafting.

Or a tightass owner...

Wa-Z
12-29-2005, 01:07 AM
If DV comes back, we will be a playoff-bound team.

QUOTE ME!

luv
12-29-2005, 01:13 AM
If DV comes back, we will be a playoff-bound team.

QUOTE ME!
Quoting you. So now what? :)

Logical
12-29-2005, 01:15 AM
Any team that says rebuild has already accepted losing the following year. In fact, it becomes part of their plan.

In today's NFL it's just not necessary. It happens, but it doesn't have to. It happens because of poor cap management and poor player evaluation and drafting.

Or a tightass owner...Truly we have all three of those strikes against us in the upcoming season.

greg63
12-29-2005, 01:18 AM

ROFLROFL

Rausch
12-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Truly we have all three of those strikes against us in the upcoming season.

Wrong.

Carl has always been a "manage not to loose" GM.

Just like marty was a Play-not-to-lose coach.

That's why we don't have a super bowl win. He won't risk the future to get it. Ever...

Nasty
12-29-2005, 01:23 AM
I didnt realize you guys were so down on him... I personally think he is a great coach. You cant deny he knows his sh!t...

But I understand the frustration with a "players coach"... Wannstedt was the same way...

splatbass
12-29-2005, 01:53 AM
If DV comes back, I'll really have to think hard about purchasing NFL Sunday Ticket...

Fair weather fans....:rolleyes:

I watched this team through the late '70s and '80s, I'll watch them if they go 1-15. I won't like it, but I'm a fan, I don't jump off the bandwagon just because they lose.

Wa-Z
12-29-2005, 01:54 AM

Wait till next season.

Wa-Z
12-29-2005, 01:58 AM
I didnt realize you guys were so down on him... I personally think he is a great coach. You cant deny he knows his sh!t...

But I understand the frustration with a "players coach"... Wannstedt was the same way...

He is a good coach, everyone here likes to blame him for....a bad season? If we win we'll be 10-6, if it wasn't for the bounce of a ball, we'd be in the playoffs...I hate people that criticize him all the time. HE IS A NFL COACH AND HAS BEEN FOR A LONG TIME, he knows what he's doing.

luv
12-29-2005, 02:01 AM

I watched this team through the late '70s and '80s, I'll watch them if they go 1-15. I won't like it, but I'm a fan, I don't jump off the bandwagon just because they lose.
I missed where he said he wouldn't be a fan anymore. Sunday ticket costs extra. If he can listen to it for free instead of paying to watch it, that doesn't mean he's jumping off the bandwagon.

splatbass
12-29-2005, 02:12 AM
I missed where he said he wouldn't be a fan anymore. Sunday ticket costs extra. If he can listen to it for free instead of paying to watch it, that doesn't mean he's jumping off the bandwagon.

If I could get Sunday Ticket here I would - regardless of how well they are playing. You guys that have it available should appreciate what you have.

DaWolf
12-29-2005, 04:31 AM
With all this talk about who DV's replacement will be, I got to thinking, what if Dick Vermeil comes back?? Everyone is just assuming he will step down at the end of the season. Nothing has come out of his mouth to make me think he's retiring.
There's no way Coach comes back, and I say that for two reasons:

1: Last time he faced this situation he made the decision and announcement two weeks before the end of the season that he would come back, and he said the reason for it was to get that talk off the table and allow for the players to concentrate on other things. Nothing even remotely like that this time around.

2: Last time he faced this situation Carl came out and talked about how DV could be the head coach here as long as he wanted. Nothing like that coming out of Carl's mouth now.

tk13
12-29-2005, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I think if all the trouble we had during training camp and early in the year wasn't enough, the Dallas and Giants losses finished him off. It's too bad. I think we're a good football team, and DV is still a pretty good coach. Everybody says we're soft or whatever but we've got a great shot at going 4-2 in this final stretch against 6 playoff caliber teams... with one loss in the Dallas game we could've won, followed by a Giants game on the road, on a short week where we just wore down, and in the process we've physically beat up the Pats, Broncos, and Chargers, which is pretty impressive, those are some physically tough teams. There were quite a few people saying we were about to go 0-6 or 2-4 or some garbage like that when we started that stretch. We've hung pretty damn tough. A lot tougher than Marty the Zeus of regular season coaching or Bill the living legend Parcells teams' did.

This has been a rough season... all the things with Trent alone, the stint in his leg, his career put in question, his dad passing away, then he had a kid. Controversy with LJ. Controversy with Priest, then a possible career ending spinal injury. Kennison's problems with his wife's health. Roaf's health. Gonzo's foot problem. Shields' contemplating retirement. Warfield's suspension. Welbourn's suspension. Sims' injury. Tynes in a barfight. Siavii and Wesley's legal issues. A coach got maced before a game. Legal problems. Having a game moved on hardly any notice due to a hurricane. Being the only team in the NFL to have 4 sets of back-to-back road games, which is nearly impossible to do better than split. Playing in a tough conference, where we could become the 4th team to win 10 games and not make the playoffs in the 12 team format. Nobody talks about none of this crap though, it's woe is the Chargers or Patriots or Jets or somebody else... but we've had a pretty rough season. This season hasn't been a success, but I think we probably deserve to be in a far worse position than where we are, going into the last week with at least a shot at a 10 win season and the playoffs. To me this team is a lot like Rocky in the 15th round of the first movie, we've had the living hell beat out of us and we look like crap, the cards aren't in our favor at all, but it's the 15th round and we're still standing up, somehow, I don't know how.

And yeah, Carl's not going to bring him back anyway, I think his comments yesterday pretty much sealed that. Because Carl has done such a magnificent job, but I'll avoid ranting for 20 minutes on that and just stop there.

oaklandhater
12-29-2005, 05:22 AM
l dont under stand Why ppl thlnk thls team has a shot. Where still the same team we were in 2003 but older.

Wichita Lineman
12-29-2005, 07:43 AM
I know I'm in a minority here but I hope to hell he doesn't retire. They have done a good job of filling the holes that plagued them last year and played pretty damn well considering the schedule they played. This is a hall of fame coach that we're talking about, that just needs some help on the D line and a first class wide reciever, and a new defensive backs coach. That's little enough to ask. But luckily for the DV fans he doesn't read this crap or the crap the media puts out so that won't help make up his mind.

Warrior5
12-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Frankly, I will laugh my head off if he does stay. The national and local media have all but cleared out his office.

Ralphy Boy
12-29-2005, 07:59 AM

Thats like saying "I stuck with my first wife while she was banging my brother and then stuck with my second wife while she was banging my first wife & my brother all because nobody is going to call me a quitter".

I don't know how anyone could be so emotionally invested in a football team yet accept losing and simply attribute it to "being a fan".

But then again, my last name is Johnson.

Dartgod
12-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Thats like saying "I stuck with my first wife while she was banging my brother and then stuck with my second wife while she was banging my first wife & my brother all because nobody is going to call me a quitter".

I don't know how anyone could be so emotionally invested in a football team yet accept losing and simply attribute it to "being a fan".

But then again, my last name is Johnson.
Fair Feather Johnson...

Dartgod
12-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Personally, I wouldn't be all that upset if DV came back (not that I think he will). I believe this team, with no changes in personnel, would make the playoffs next year. If for no other reason, because our schedule should be much easier.

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 08:53 AM
I know I'm in a minority here but I hope to hell he doesn't retire. They have done a good job of filling the holes that plagued them last year and played pretty damn well considering the schedule they played. This is a hall of fame coach that we're talking about, that just needs some help on the D line and a first class wide reciever, and a new defensive backs coach. That's little enough to ask. But luckily for the DV fans he doesn't read this crap or the crap the media puts out so that won't help make up his mind.

DV's mind is already made up. Carl did it for him.

Baby Lee
12-29-2005, 09:32 AM
I think the crux of the matter is how close DV thinks this team is. And for a rational, impartial person, the assessment may well be "they are talented enough right now to be the best, but the coaching is not providing the sufficient preparation, inspiration and will to get them to maximum output." But I think DV will see the talent and convince himself; 1) he can get them to maximum output, and more importantly, 2) he wouldn't be able to live with himself if someone else came in and got them to maximum output.

oaklandhater
12-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Personally, I wouldn't be all that upset if DV came back (not that I think he will). I believe this team, with no changes in personnel, would make the playoffs next year. If for no other reason, because our schedule should be much easier.

In what way do you think this team has a chance at the playoffs. We have the same offense that we had in 2003 but older,Our Def has shown no signs of Improvement.and to top it all off we still cant beat good teams o nthe road.

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 10:01 AM
I think the crux of the matter is how close DV thinks this team is. And for a rational, impartial person, the assessment may well be "they are talented enough right now to be the best, but the coaching is not providing the sufficient preparation, inspiration and will to get them to maximum output." But I think DV will see the talent and convince himself; 1) he can get them to maximum output, and more importantly, 2) he wouldn't be able to live with himself if someone else came in and got them to maximum output.

After listening the last few days to Carl, I don't think this is DV's decision.

Everything Carl is saying is in stark contrast to 2003.

DV isn't coming back, and I don't think he's got any control over it.

Dartgod
12-29-2005, 10:10 AM
In what way do you think this team has a chance at the playoffs. We have the same offense that we had in 2003 but older,Our Def has shown no signs of Improvement.and to top it all off we still cant beat good teams o nthe road.Comprehend much?If for no other reason, because our schedule should be much easier.I think our defense has shown improvement. There have been some disasters on the road, but at home our defense played very well against the Jets, Denver, San Diego, New England and the first half against Philly. We also put up good efforts on the road against Miami and Houston.

Now I'm not saying that they are anywhere near where they need to be, but I have seen some definite improvement over the two previous seasons.

Also, I don't buy that "our offense will suffer because they're older" crap. The same was said about this season, yet we still put up big numbers. Sure, we may lose Shields and Priest next year and that will become tough to overcome. But Roaf has indicated he will be back, so against a softer schedule next year, and more improvement from our D, then yes, I do believe we can make the playoffs.

oaklandhater
12-29-2005, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Dartggod]Comprehend much?I think our defense has shown improvement. There have been some disasters on the road, but at home our defense played very well against the Jets, Denver, San Diego, New England and the first half against Philly. We also put up good efforts on the road against Miami and Houston.

Exactly since DV has gotten here we can not make it over the hump on the road its been five years since he has been here I see no change or indication, that things are going to somehow change next year?

oaklandhater
12-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Houston is 2/13 and miam is 8/7 whew real playoff contenders they are.

Dartgod
12-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Houston is 2/13 and miam is 5/10 whew real playoff contenders they are.Damn, dude. Where did I say they were playoff contenders? You point to that, but chose to ignore that we did play well on D at home against Denver, San Diego and New England who ARE playoff contenders (or were at the time in SD's case). Again, I'm not happy with the overall play of the D this year. IMO, they are the primary reason why we missed the playoffs this year. But I did see signs of improvement. Last year and previous years, Miami and Houston probably put up 30+ on our D.

oaklandhater
12-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Damn, dude. Where did I say they were playoff contenders? You point to that, but chose to ignore that we did play well on D at home against Denver, San Diego and New England who ARE playoff contenders (or were at the time in SD's case). Again, I'm not happy with the overall play of the D this year. IMO, they are the primary reason why we missed the playoffs this year. But I did see signs of improvement. Last year and previous years, Miami and Houston probably put up 30+ on our D.

San diego game was becuase of bad weather New england was limping when they came in to KC and other then Denver where our _efense played okay what signs of improvment did you see,Becuase all i see is the offense geting older?

Dartgod
12-29-2005, 11:05 AM
San diego game was becuase of bad weather New england was limping when they came in to KC and other then Denver where our _efense played okay what signs of improvment did you see,Becuase all i see is the offense geting older?
Yeah, San Diego game was because of weather. :spock:

Perhaps you can explain then why KC's "aging offense" managed 341 total yards, including 144 yds against the NFL's top run D?

I can see you came to a battle of wits unarmed.

oaklandhater
12-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Yeah, San Diego game was because of weather. :spock:

Perhaps you can explain then why KC's "aging offense" managed 341 total yards, including 144 yds against the NFL's top run D?

I can see you came to a battle of wits unarmed.

The point im trying to make is that were the same team we were in 2003 with a 3 year older offense.

oaklandhater
12-29-2005, 11:10 AM
and yes san diego is not use to the type of weather we have in KC.

milkman
12-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Houston is 2/13 and miam is 5/10 whew real playoff contenders they are.

Fins are 8-7, and beat the Chargers in SD.

Perhaps not a real playoff contender, but only one game behind KC, and they've beaten a good team on the road.

oaklandhater
12-29-2005, 11:15 AM
lol must have missread the 2004/2005 season :(

StcChief
12-29-2005, 11:18 AM
He might come back. I doubt it really.

Calcountry
12-29-2005, 11:21 AM

Or a tightass owner...Or a confluence of the aforementioned.

Calcountry
12-29-2005, 11:23 AM
He is a good coach, everyone here likes to blame him for....a bad season? If we win we'll be 10-6, if it wasn't for the bounce of a ball, we'd be in the playoffs...I hate people that criticize him all the time. HE IS A NFL COACH AND HAS BEEN FOR A LONG TIME, he knows what he's doing.And if it werent' for shitty tackling and a missed block, we'd be 12-4, so what is your point?

Calcountry
12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I think if all the trouble we had during training camp and early in the year wasn't enough, the Dallas and Giants losses finished him off. It's too bad. I think we're a good football team, and DV is still a pretty good coach. Everybody says we're soft or whatever but we've got a great shot at going 4-2 in this final stretch against 6 playoff caliber teams... with one loss in the Dallas game we could've won, followed by a Giants game on the road, on a short week where we just wore down, and in the process we've physically beat up the Pats, Broncos, and Chargers, which is pretty impressive, those are some physically tough teams. There were quite a few people saying we were about to go 0-6 or 2-4 or some garbage like that when we started that stretch. We've hung pretty damn tough. A lot tougher than Marty the Zeus of regular season coaching or Bill the living legend Parcells teams' did.

This has been a rough season... all the things with Trent alone, the stint in his leg, his career put in question, his dad passing away, then he had a kid. Controversy with LJ. Controversy with Priest, then a possible career ending spinal injury. Kennison's problems with his wife's health. Roaf's health. Gonzo's foot problem. Shields' contemplating retirement. Warfield's suspension. Welbourn's suspension. Sims' injury. Tynes in a barfight. Siavii and Wesley's legal issues. A coach got maced before a game. Legal problems. Having a game moved on hardly any notice due to a hurricane. Being the only team in the NFL to have 4 sets of back-to-back road games, which is nearly impossible to do better than split. Playing in a tough conference, where we could become the 4th team to win 10 games and not make the playoffs in the 12 team format. Nobody talks about none of this crap though, it's woe is the Chargers or Patriots or Jets or somebody else... but we've had a pretty rough season. This season hasn't been a success, but I think we probably deserve to be in a far worse position than where we are, going into the last week with at least a shot at a 10 win season and the playoffs. To me this team is a lot like Rocky in the 15th round of the first movie, we've had the living hell beat out of us and we look like crap, the cards aren't in our favor at all, but it's the 15th round and we're still standing up, somehow, I don't know how.

And yeah, Carl's not going to bring him back anyway, I think his comments yesterday pretty much sealed that. Because Carl has done such a magnificent job, but I'll avoid ranting for 20 minutes on that and just stop there.Impressive, but I would have thrown in Surtains distraction with his Dad in Hurricane Katrina for good measure. ;)

greg63
12-29-2005, 12:37 PM
I love this thread. :D

Brock
12-29-2005, 12:43 PM
and yes san diego is not use to the type of weather we have in KC.

That's fuggin weak.

Halfcan
12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
I hope he retires-this team has been shitty for most of time he has been here.

Dartgod
12-29-2005, 12:47 PM
That's fuggin weak.
Well, from reading the rest of his posts, are you surprised?

greg63
12-29-2005, 01:02 PM
I like DV; I think he's a good Head Coach. I don't believe he will be back, and have been saying so since before the beginning of the season.

Calcountry
12-29-2005, 01:06 PM
With all this talk about who DV's replacement will be, I got to thinking, what if Dick Vermeil comes back?? Everyone is just assuming he will step down at the end of the season. Nothing has come out of his mouth to make me think he's retiring.The thread title reminds me of a line from Dr. Suess.

Brown and Black, Brown came back, Brown came back with Mr. Black.

greg63
12-29-2005, 01:58 PM
The thread title reminds me of a line from Dr. Suess.

Brown and Black, Brown came back, Brown came back with Mr. Black.

ROFLROFLROFL