PDA

View Full Version : I'm smarter than Carl Peterson... Here is my league improvement...

Taco John
12-29-2005, 01:03 PM
I would like to see the NFL move to a schedule that included playing your division rivals three times a season. The reasons being that (1) it would make it more competitive within your division. Teams would know eachother intimately and the competition level would raise significnatly. (2) Because of this, certain "flavors" would develop within each conference. There would be a distinctive difference between an NFC West team and an AFC West team because those teams would be geared to beat up on their own division. (3) Tie breakers would no longer be determined by arbitrary things like Conference wins or overall points, and instead be determined by games won. (4) No more division splits. Denver and KC split this year. We'd know for sure who has bragging rights in a three game series. (5) More meaningful games. There are a lot more meaningful games when you're going to a three game format vs. division rivals. December would be some knock-out football.

With three division rivals in each division, that's nine games in a 16 game season. There would be 7 other games that could be used for intraconference play, not to mention, playing outside the conference.

An example schedule might go something like this:

Kansas City Chiefs

Week 1: Oakland
Week 2: Miami
Week 3: Denver
Week 4: @San Diego
Week 5: Cleveland
Week 6: @Minnesota
Week 7: San Diego
Week 8: @Oakland
Week 9: Bye Week
Week 10: @ Denver
Week 11: @Cincinnati
Week 12: Pittsburgh
Week 13: @Jacksonville
Week 14: @San Diego
Week 15: @Chicago
Week 16: Oakland
Week 17: Denver

Home games would alternate by year... So for example, in this schedule, KC would get Denver at home twice this year, and next year, they'd have to play them on the road twice.

ameliorated1216
12-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I like that idea, but I still think that teams should play within their conference during the regular season. something is lost when an AFC has to play an NFC team that it hasn't played in 5 years.

Taco John
12-29-2005, 01:10 PM
I like that idea, but I still think that teams should play within their conference during the regular season. something is lost when an AFC has to play an NFC team that it hasn't played in 5 years.

I pretty much agree with that... I don't have a problem with keeping it within the conference.

ptlyon
12-29-2005, 01:14 PM
nah, ya gotta play out of your conference, you'd never play except for the SB.

Eleazar
12-29-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't really care for the unbalanced schedule in baseball. It seems like we play the bulk of the schedule against the same 3 or 4 teams.

I like that in the NFL you get to see every team in the league every couple of years. I like that they try to balance out the schedule based on last year's performance. I don't think anything needs to be changed.

Some say it would be more meaningful games, but I disagree. Every game is meaningful already. If we had one more win anywhere on the schedule we wouldn't be at home in January. If anything, it decreases the value of each division game simply because there are more of them. If you lose to a rival, that's ok, you still can get the tiebreaker over them by winning the other two. Right now, if you lose the first game you are just trying to get even and avoid them getting the tiebreaker over you. The value of each individual game is more in a 2 game series instead of 3

FringeNC
12-29-2005, 01:18 PM
I like playing all in-conference. The NFC has been down, and a few divisions have been awful, so if you are lucky enought to get to play the NFC West or North, you are almost guaranteed a playoff spot if you play .500 in your conference...

ameliorated1216
12-29-2005, 01:19 PM
And preseason, but I think the second strongest rivalry comes from within the conference. I personally, didn't really care that the chiefs lost to eagles (except that they blew that type of a lead) but the teams playing didn't interest me that much. I wouldn't watch a giants vs. cowboys game, but I would watch a dolphins vs steelers game (or whatever)

Katipan
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
If I wasn't stoned, I'd figure out how this is a taco troll.

Halfcan
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
I like seeing us play different teams at home. After seeing SD games a zillion times, its cool to mix it up a bit.

SLAG
12-29-2005, 01:25 PM
If I wasn't stoned, I'd figure out how this is a taco troll.:clap:

cdcox
12-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Not a bad idea, but it would be a little tricky to keep interconference play (you need that to have some idea of the relative strength of the two conferences) and symmetry.

One way to do it:
9 divisional games
4 games against a rotating division in the other conference
3 games against equal-placed finishers from other divisions in your conference. (first against first, 2 against 2nd, etc).

Better, expand to 17 games, and instead of playing equal placed finishers, play all 4 teams from another division in your conference. Yeah, I'd go for that.

JBucc
12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
So the Raiders would be 0-9 in the division?

ptlyon
12-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Wow!

cdcox
12-29-2005, 01:32 PM
On second thought, I think the unbalanced HFA within the division would be too big of an advantage. Among the top teams in the division, the extra home game would likely be decisive.

StcChief
12-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Adding in a format of 3 div games sounds interesting.
Would make the tiebreaker easier. Barring a TIE, then
go down some tiebreaker record/points scenerio.....
9 games.

The two NFC conf games could be based on rankings the year before? Equal standing and 1 above?
We finish 3rd last year. So we play 3rd and 2nd from NFC conf. this year.

2 games.

Both of those are away????? @Chicago @Minnesota

AFC E Conf games play all four teams. two home.two away.

4 games.

1 other AFC Conf games based on equal rankings year before.
1 game.

16 total.

nice idea.

But I still want 18 regular season games.
Dump two of the pre-season games.

Mr. Laz
12-29-2005, 01:40 PM
1. change 2 preseason games into regular season games

2. enlarge roster by another 5 players

3. move challenges/reviews completely up into booth(why have the ref who may have made the mistake review his own call? it would be quicker too.) Booth can watch/work behind the scenes like in college and make changes without a challenge etc.

4. difference levels of pass interference (little more like college?)

5. completely slotted draft money and rookie salary hard cap (no more holdouts and reduction of money draftees earn before they ever take a snap)

6. some salary cap exemption bonus or something for teams that make playoffs (to encourage winning)

Dartgod
12-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Well, this is just a dumb idea...

Calcountry
12-29-2005, 01:52 PM
The next CBA, ought to stipulate that if you lose a game, you forfeit 20% of your game check to the winning teams players game checks.

All forfeitures are pooled, then doled out on a percentage basis.

If Scanlon were responsible for 2 % of our total payroll, then when we won a game, you would multiply 2% by the "pot" extracted from the losers.

This would ensure that players would always be UP for the game. I am sick and fuggin tired, of paying my hard earned money to see teams mail in games.

You lose, you pay.

Dartgod
12-29-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't normally smoke before noon unless i'm going to have sex with a pothead.
If I wasn't stoned, I'd figure out how this is a taco troll.
So, who's the lucky guy?

Simply Red
12-29-2005, 01:53 PM
I would like to see the NFL move to a schedule that included playing your division rivals three times a season. The reasons being that (1) it would make it more competitive within your division. Teams would know eachother intimately and the competition level would raise significnatly. (2) Because of this, certain "flavors" would develop within each conference. There would be a distinctive difference between an NFC West team and an AFC West team because those teams would be geared to beat up on their own division. (3) Tie breakers would no longer be determined by arbitrary things like Conference wins or overall points, and instead be determined by games won. (4) No more division splits. Denver and KC split this year. We'd know for sure who has bragging rights in a three game series. (5) More meaningful games. There are a lot more meaningful games when you're going to a three game format vs. division rivals. December would be some knock-out football.

With three division rivals in each division, that's nine games in a 16 game season. There would be 7 other games that could be used for intraconference play, not to mention, playing outside the conference.

An example schedule might go something like this:

Kansas City Chiefs

Week 1: Oakland
Week 2: Miami
Week 3: Denver
Week 4: @San Diego
Week 5: Cleveland
Week 6: @Minnesota
Week 7: San Diego
Week 8: @Oakland
Week 9: Bye Week
Week 10: @ Denver
Week 11: @Cincinnati
Week 12: Pittsburgh
Week 13: @Jacksonville
Week 14: @San Diego
Week 15: @Chicago
Week 16: Oakland
Week 17: Denver

Home games would alternate by year... So for example, in this schedule, KC would get Denver at home twice this year, and next year, they'd have to play them on the road twice.

You've left me no choice. WUT AND IDIOT!!!!

StcChief
12-29-2005, 01:57 PM
1. change 2 preseason games into regular season games

2. enlarge roster by another 5 players

3. move challenges/reviews completely up into booth(why have the ref who may have made the mistake review his own call? it would be quicker too.) Booth can watch/work behind the scenes like in college and make changes without a challenge etc.

4. difference levels of pass interference (little more like college?)

5. completely slotted draft money and rookie salary hard cap (no more holdouts and reduction of money draftees earn before they ever take a snap)

6. some salary cap exemption bonus or something for teams that make playoffs (to encourage winning)

No we are getting into some meaty ideas to change NFL.

Beyond the # games and who you play.

run the season out further too.

Baseball,Basketball,Hockey all run 6 month regular season/playoffs.
Mid/late aug to mid/late Feb. for NFL is reasonable.

Logical
12-29-2005, 02:01 PM
I like the idea, not bad TJ.

ChiefsCountry
12-29-2005, 02:03 PM
I would do this:

1) Add 2 Regular Season Game.
2) Drop 2 Preseason Games.
3) Add One Playoff Team to each conference
4) Make a Triple A football league, during the spring time in the USA. 16 teams each team has 2 affilates.
5) Expand Roster

patteeu
12-29-2005, 02:30 PM
I like the idea except that the unbalanced home field advantage is a showstopper for me. In general I like unbalanced schedules that make you focus on your division first and foremost.

Leaving aside my objection to the problem of home field advantage, what I'd do with a plan like this is

1) add a game so you have 8 non-division games

2) split each conference into two, 2-division groups (e.g. Group 1 is the AFC East and AFC North while Group 2 is the AFC West and the AFC South)

3) play one game against each team in your sister division every year (Chiefs would play the AFC South every year)

4) every other year play one game against each team in one of the two divisions in the other group in your conference (In alternating years, the Chiefs would play teams in the AFC East or AFC North).

5) No interconference games other than the Superbowl (and possibly preseason).

I like unbalanced schedules.

Thig Lyfe
12-29-2005, 03:28 PM
They should have it be so you can trade players for wins.

ct
12-29-2005, 04:20 PM
It's a cool idea, except for us AFC West junkies, we get shafted. KC, Denver, and San Diego are 3 playoff contenders (similar this year with the NFC East), whereas Seattle in the NFC West gets 9 games against those chumps?

Calcountry
12-29-2005, 04:36 PM
What are there 32 teams now?

2 8 team divisions in each conference

Play 1 games each year against your own division, that is 7 games. Then play the rest of the conference one game each that is 8 more games, for a total of 15. Then play 3 games against the NFC to be determined by how you finished last year. Drop 2 preseason games.

Everyone, plays everyone one time per year. None of this we drew a weak schedule chit no more.

Then the 2 division winners play each other for one berth in the AFC Championship with the loser taking on the winner of the wild card game, thus getting a second shot at the other division winner if they can knock off the wild card winner.

HMc
12-29-2005, 10:35 PM
What are there 32 teams now?

2 8 team divisions in each conference

Play 1 games each year against your own division, that is 7 games. Then play the rest of the conference one game each that is 8 more games, for a total of 15. Then play 3 games against the NFC to be determined by how you finished last year. Drop 2 preseason games.

Everyone, plays everyone one time per year. None of this we drew a weak schedule chit no more.

Then the 2 division winners play each other for one berth in the AFC Championship with the loser taking on the winner of the wild card game, thus getting a second shot at the other division winner if they can knock off the wild card winner.

So what is the point of having divisions at all in that scenario? You may aswell just have 2 16 team conferences.

listopencil
12-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Drop the pre-season entirely. Every team plays every other team in its own conference (15 games), then against division opponents to make Home/Away games even (3 games). Add four weeks for the playoffs. Screw inter-conference play until the SuperBowl.

greg63
12-30-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm smarter than Carl Peterson... Here is my league improvement......Gee, he's smarter than a moronic idiot; what a sense of enormous accomplishment this must give you TJ.

kcfanXIII
12-30-2005, 02:05 AM
i like the idea but homefield advantage is too big to alternate every year. its just not fair to ask any other afc west team to play in arrowhead twice a year. even if it is only every other year. maybe a neutral site, but this brings money into question. maybe decide who gets the extra home game by who wins the season series from the year before. whatever the change you propose, you have to drop two preseason games, and make them real games instead.