PDA

View Full Version : Why is Sapp at CB?

Hydrae
12-29-2005, 03:29 PM
I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now, why is Sapp playing at CB? All I ever hear is how he is a liability at CB but he hits hard. He is also one of the best blitzers on the team.

So, why not move him to safety? I know our history is to take college safeties and move them to CB but this is a case where I think we should go the other way around.

beer bacon
12-29-2005, 03:30 PM
There is no way he could beat out Woods or Bartee.

Thig Lyfe
12-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Good notion, except it seems like we already are filled up at the position. Knight, Wesley, Woods, Bartee, etc. Although 2 or more safeties could be out of here after this season.

Iowanian
12-29-2005, 03:31 PM
He's undersized to be a safety.

morphius
12-29-2005, 03:34 PM
He's undersized to be a safety.
Yup!

Hydrae
12-29-2005, 03:35 PM
If he brings a load and hits, who cares about his size?

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Sapp was a pretty good corner in college. I think part of his problem is Gunther, just like Surtain playing soft coverage.

morphius
12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
If he brings a load and hits, who cares about his size?
How many times has he whiffed on the QB on the blitz? Its been a few times.

Seek
12-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Who is saying he is a liability at Corner???? I think he is a damn fine NB. It was painfully clear against the Giants that he is so much better than McCleon that it hurt seeing McCleon in there instead covering Plax.

Chiefnj
12-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Has Sapp really been that bad at corner? How do you differentiate between his poor play and the rest of the secondary?

In his defense, I'd assume it is tough playing over the slot receiver when: (a) opposing teams are moving their #1 receiver to the slot position at times because Gunther's scheme keeps the corners where they are, (b) he is asked to give the slot receiver a 5+ yard cushion, and (c) there is little pass rush.

Chiefnj
12-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Who is saying he is a liability at Corner???? I think he is a damn fine NB. It was painfully clear against the Giants that he is so much better than McCleon that it hurt seeing McCleon in there instead covering Plax.

Plax bitched the entire Chiefs secondary that day. What really stood out was his blocking. He put on a clinic blocking Warfield all day.