PDA

View Full Version : Review of Vermeil wine from visit to the tasting room this week

Mojo Rising
12-30-2005, 08:25 PM
I visited the tasting room of the winery who produces Jean Louis Vermeil this week. The wine was great. The tasting room is the corner of a candle shop in Calistoga (Northern Napa County.)

The owner of the shop and family member of the wine producer served us. She was great. She barely stopped telling stories long enough to breathe. Her family and the Vermeil's grew up together.

If you are ever in Napa be sure to visit! I did buy a couple of bottles for a B Day present for my Dad. It is pricey ($55 & $60 per bottle for the 2 vintages.)

She didn't give me any insight as to DV's plans. She did say when they partnered his goal was to spend more time in the vineyards. Also, said that you never know what he's going to do because he is so emotional he is unpredictable.

Hog Rider
12-30-2005, 09:23 PM
I have an DV autographed magnum of the 2000 which my wife got for me while working in cahoots with Paul Smith (Mary Sue's husband). Then we had Vermeil autograph a 750 ml bottle at training camp this year. Unfortunately we won't be popping the corks on those bottles.

I do have another 750 ml of the JLV, but will wait another year or two to open it, since I won't be opening it at this years Super Bowl.

We have/had a lot of their other wines also and will be getting the later vintage JLVs soon.

Mojo Rising
12-30-2005, 10:12 PM
I was afraid that it was going to be an average wine and then they marked it up and slapped DV's name on it. Not so. It was an excellent wine! It held it's own vs. all of the reserves from the other major wineries we visitied (Beringer, Coppola, BV.)

Plus, Mary Sue (I think that who who we met) made the tasting a very entertaining experience.

Hog Rider
12-30-2005, 10:37 PM
I agree, DV's wines are very good, esp. for the price. I only sampled it at there at the shop in Sept. '04. Haven't opened our own '00s yet. The Charbono, Sauvignon Blanc, and especially the Zinfandels are all very good also, as are the other Cabernet offerings at somewhat lower prices.

We spent most of our time with Paul, but found Mary Sue quite energetic and as you said, seemed eager to share stories.

Did they introduce you to the bees living in the back wall? We bought a set of the beeswax candles while there, and are also wanting to get more of those - not just the fine wines.

nychief
12-30-2005, 10:53 PM
in case anyone wants to visit the website.

http://onthedgewinery.com/default.htm

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 12:19 AM
Is it as good as Boone's Farm stuff? :hmmm: