PDA

View Full Version : KC Star Head Coach Poll

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2006, 12:09 AM
KCStar HC Poll (http://forums.kansascity.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=kr-kcsports&msg=63108.1&ctx=1 )

the results are baffling

01-01-2006, 12:11 AM
your link is bad

Mecca
The results are so shocking, the net won't allow us to see it.

VonneMarie
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/48/Bill_Callahan_NU.jpg/200px-Bill_Callahan_NU.jpg

01-01-2006, 12:12 AM
We are obviously just stupid here in the midwest.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 12:15 AM
I really don't understand all the hatred for Herman Edwards. Yeah, he sucked this year. But he managed to make the playoffs with a shitty OC for three straight years.

Why is this so bad? I mean, it's not like there is a clear-cut better choice.

The guy is a defensive coach and if he could get someone to run the offense - someone like Mike Martz, I would be for it.

I know Martz is the devil too, but he's a very good offensive coordinator that will allow for a smooth transition away from Al since they run basically the same offense.

Plus, Trent is very familiar with him.

We could do a LOT worse than Herm.

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2006, 12:15 AM
try it again

01-01-2006, 12:18 AM
I really don't understand all the hatred for Herman Edwards. Yeah, he sucked this year. But he managed to make the playoffs with a shitty OC for three straight years.

The guy is a defensive coach and if he could get someone to run the offense - someone like Mike Martz, I would be for it.

I know Martz is the devil too, but he's a very good offensive coordinator that will allow for a smooth transition away from Al since they run basically the same offense.

I just don't want to feel like Carl is the head coach. I am afraid Herm would be a Yes man for him. I hope I am wrong. I would like Jeff Fisher.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2006, 12:22 AM

After thinking about it, i wouldnt mind Herm Edwards. Your right, we could do alot worse. He could sort of do what Dungy did at Indy. COme in and leave the offense intact and rebuild the defense. I could live in either Norv Turner or Mike Martz as our Offensive coordinators. They both run the same system.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 12:25 AM
I just don't want to feel like Carl is the head coach. I am afraid Herm would be a Yes man for him. I hope I am wrong. I would like Jeff Fisher.

From what I've seen of Herm being on the East Coast, he says what he wants and doesn't take orders from anyone.

Jeff Fisher would be great, but the Titans are never getting rid of him. Never.

I'll take a guy who made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years in a division that featured the SB champs 2 out of those 3 years. The only year he didn't make it was this year, and I doubt any coach outside Belichick could have won with all those injuries.

01-01-2006, 12:27 AM
I hope you are right. I expect Herm to be here within 5 weeks. But as few as 1 also.

tk13
01-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Oh yeah, looks like Bad Guy is on the Herm bandwagon! Wooo! :)

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Oh yeah, looks like Bad Guy is on the Herm bandwagon! Wooo! :)

I just think he's better than any likely alternative. This year's available crop of coaches is bad. Real bad.

tk13
01-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I just think he's better than any likely alternative. This year's available crop of coaches is bad. Real bad.
Yeah, that is true. I like Herm, I don't think he's perfect by any means but I think he's way better than hiring guys like Stoops or Mariucci or Butch Davis... his teams always play solid defense and are disciplined. If he could just bring that here I'd be happy, 75% of our offense is probably better than anything he had in New York.

RealSNR
01-01-2006, 01:39 AM
What's Wade Phillips doing up there ROFL ROFL ROFL

Isn't he still traumatized from the Music City Miracle?

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2006, 04:27 AM
bump

4th and Long
01-01-2006, 05:45 AM
the results are baffling
Actually, they're not. A good deal of football fans don't know jack shit about the game. They know popular names but that's about it. Kinda like Prob Bowl voting. Some guys get in on their name alone, regardless of the fact that they had a crappy year on the field. Go figure.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Yeah, that is true. I like Herm, I don't think he's perfect by any means but I think he's way better than hiring guys like Stoops or Mariucci or Butch Davis... his teams always play solid defense and are disciplined. If he could just bring that here I'd be happy, 75% of our offense is probably better than anything he had in New York.

I agree.

I've been warming up to Herm all along because of you. :D

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Actually, they're not. A good deal of football fans don't know jack shit about the game. They know popular names but that's about it. Kinda like Prob Bowl voting. Some guys get in on their name alone, regardless of the fact that they had a crappy year on the field. Go figure.

Yep.

This place should come with a disclaimer, because it's not at all indicative of what the average fan thinks...

milkman
01-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Herm Edwards is far from my first choice as HC.

I envision another 10 years of Martyocrity.

Skip Towne
01-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Bill Parcells? Mike Shanahan?

Sybil
01-01-2006, 09:42 AM
What's Wade Phillips doing up there ROFL ROFL ROFL

Isn't he still traumatized from the Music City Miracle?

I'm hearing he has the inside track on the Houston job.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Herm Edwards is far from my first choice as HC.

I envision another 10 years of Martyocrity.

And who, out of who is truly available, would be your top choice?

Again, 3 out of 4 years in the playoffs appears to mean shit to people on this board.

milkman
01-01-2006, 11:51 AM
And who, out of who is truly available, would be your top choice?

Again, 3 out of 4 years in the playoffs appears to mean shit to people on this board.

So, were you happy with Maty's playoff record?

I'm on record as being on the Mike Turgovac bandwagon, even though he isn't on Carl's radar.

Kirk ferentz is another.

Of those on Carl's radar, I've already said I'd like to see Greg Williams get another chance.

And while I'm not a big Al fan, I'd rather see him get the job over Edwards, even though I know that ain't happening.

phxchief
01-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Greg Williams for me.

Rausch
01-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Bill Parcells?

I'd smorgasb-0RG@SM!1!

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 12:11 PM
So, were you happy with Maty's playoff record?

I'm on record as being on the Mike Turgovac bandwagon, even though he isn't on Carl's radar.

Kirk ferentz is another.

Of those on Carl's radar, I've already said I'd like to see Greg Williams get another chance.

And while I'm not a big Al fan, I'd rather see him get the job over Edwards, even though I know that ain't happening.
The comparison isn't valid because Herm actually won in the playoffs recently. After making the playoffs twice in 8 years, i'd welcome someone who could at least get us there.

I just don't get it. You want Gregg Williams when he was a massive failure in Buffalo, but don't want Herman Edwards, someone who made the playoffs in the same division Williams failed miserably in.

Nice logic.

milkman
01-01-2006, 12:28 PM
The comparison isn't valid because Herm actually won in the playoffs recently. After making the playoffs twice in 8 years, i'd welcome someone who could at least get us there.

I just don't get it. You want Gregg Williams when he was a massive failure in Buffalo, but don't want Herman Edwards, someone who made the playoffs in the same division Williams failed miserably in.

Nice logic.

I'm not sure that logic has anything to do with my choices.

It has to do with gut instinct.

I know that I don't like Edwards propensity to go into a Martyocre like shell when he gets to the playoffs, and I'm not a fan of OC selections, Hackett or Heimerdinger.

As for Williams, I'm not sure that anyone can win with The Statue of Bledsoe, and a less than stellar O-Line, and I just think he learned from his previous experience, and from working with Gibbs.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure that logic has anything to do with my choices.

It has to do with gut instinct.

I know that I don't like Edwards propensity to go into a Martyocre like shell when he gets to the playoffs, and I'm not a fan of OC selections, Hackett or Heimerdinger.

As for Williams, I'm not sure that anyone can win with The Statue of Bledsoe, and a less than stellar O-Line, and I just think he learned from his previous experience, and from working with Gibbs.

Herman has won in the playoffs. That Jets team played a 15-1 Steeler team pretty tough last year on the road and only lost in OT.

I hate Hackett, but Heimerdinger is a pretty decent OC.

Again, if Edwards hired Martz, we would still have a very similar offense to the one we have now and the learning curve should be next to nothing.

milkman
01-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Herman has won in the playoffs. That Jets team played a 15-1 Steeler team pretty tough last year on the road and only lost in OT.

I hate Hackett, but Heimerdinger is a pretty decent OC.

Again, if Edwards hired Martz, we would still have a very similar offense to the one we have now and the learning curve should be next to nothing.

BD,
I have always respected your opinions, and I won't summarily dismiss this one as I do others, but we couldn't be further apart.

Not only do I not want Edwards, but I don't want Martz anywhere near KC.

The fact that you are in favor of such a scenario gives me pause to reconsider.

But I just can't get behind it.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 01:14 PM
BD,
I have always respected your opinions, and I won't summarily dismiss this one as I do others, but we couldn't be further apart.

Not only do I not want Edwards, but I don't want Martz anywhere near KC.

The fact that you are in favor of such a scenario gives me pause to reconsider.

But I just can't get behind it.

I like what Martz can do offensively. In 99, that team was the best offense I've ever seen.

Trent is familiar with him. The learning curve is nothing because him and Saunders run similar schemes.

I don't like him as a HC, but he's a damn good offensive coach.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 01:27 PM
My opinion pretty much mirrored yours Milk. But I've been listening more and more to tk13 and Bad Guy over the last few days, and I'm warming up to the idea of Edwards as HC with a Coryell OC like Martz...

BigMeatballDave
01-01-2006, 01:35 PM
As long as Edwards keeps his hands off of the O, I'd be OK with him...

milkman
01-01-2006, 01:36 PM
I like what Martz can do offensively. In 99, that team was the best offense I've ever seen.

Trent is familiar with him. The learning curve is nothing because him and Saunders run similar schemes.

I don't like him as a HC, but he's a damn good offensive coach.

The one thing that really scares me is Martz playcalling, and the fact that Edwards allows his coaches a lot of freedom.

If Edwards pulls the reins on Martz a bit, then it just might be a coaching marriage that could work.

Again, more food for thought.

chop
01-01-2006, 01:55 PM
This is a pipe dream. I don't see Martz accepting an OC position unless it is very clear to him that he will not be a HC again. I think someone will give him another shot.