PDA

View Full Version : Peterson interview on Metro Sports

FloridaMan88
01-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Baldinger asked him about Al Saunders possibly being the next HC, Peterson said he knows Saunders well and he knows his strenghts but also knows his weaknesses (and Peterson put some emphasis w/ his voice on the weaknesses part). He then said there are several viable candidates out there to look at.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 03:56 PM
We've known for a long time that Carl wouldn't offer Saunders the position.

He wants a defensive coach.

Hoover
01-01-2006, 04:00 PM
If Carl is still going to be around (Which he is), I think it would be stupid to go with an offensive HC. Last year we spent a lot on that defense, and while the stats didn't show much improvement, it was a lot better. I think Carl wants to continue to build on D which is music to my ears. And as long as we have LJ we will have an offense.

chiefsfan1963
01-01-2006, 04:05 PM
People will be beside themselves next year watching the decline of our O if AS is no longer a Chief.

Just as our D has turned a corner and getting better we pull the plug on the direction of our O. Thanks Carl!

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 04:08 PM
People will be beside themselves next year watching the decline of our O if AS is no longer a Chief.

Just as our D has turned a corner and getting better we pull the plug on the direction of our O. Thanks Carl!

Yeah, Al Saunders is the only person on the face of the Earth that can design an offense. :rolleyes:

The biggest reason this offense would decline is named Roaf, not Saunders.

dirk digler
01-01-2006, 04:09 PM
The Chiefs need to move fast to get their guy or we will be stuck with some schmuck of a coach

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 04:10 PM
The Chiefs need to move fast to get their guy or we will be stuck with some schmuck of a coach

I absolutely agree.

tomahawk kid
01-01-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm not saying that AS will be our next head coach, but remember this....

Carl has negotiated through the media before. CP could intention for AS to coach the Chiefs is 2006, but he's not above trying to drive down the price.

Just my $0.02.......

tomahawk kid
01-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah, Al Saunders is the only person on the face of the Earth that can design an offense. :rolleyes:

I've got it on pretty good authority that Willie wants to play 1-2 more seasons.

I wouldn't worry about him leaving a whole lot.....

Hammock Parties
01-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Would people shut the **** up about Saunders already?

When Roaf went down Saunders offense looked average most of the time.

We're not going to scrap this offense in the offseason. All of the key components are returning.

LJ and Samie Parker are only going to get better.

Hell, Trent Green could probably call all the plays himself.

FringeNC
01-01-2006, 04:14 PM

That is going overboard. When Roaf was out, we did not go to an average left tackle, we went to an absolutely dreadful left tackle.

There is a different between having a top 5-10 offense, which is great, to one that is capable of setting NFL records. Al Saunders is special.

That said, all of our players know the system inside and out, especially Trent, so as long as we change nothing next year, we should be fine with our current players. Al Saunders (and Dick) did a fantastic job teaching the players this system, and he will pay dividends even after he has left.

Mr. Kotter

If there isn't a press conference by Wed or Thu, I'll start to get nervous that our next head coach could be Wade Phillips, Dick Jauron, or Dom Capers... :banghead:

Alphaman
Baldinger asked him about Al Saunders possibly being the next HC, Peterson said he knows Saunders well and he knows his strenghts but also knows his weaknesses (and Peterson put some emphasis w/ his voice on the weaknesses part). He then said there are several viable candidates out there to look at.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I know many people don't like Carl Peterson, but this is a great statement from a leader. I'll be very interested to see who he chooses, but that is a very interesting statement.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm not saying that AS will be our next head coach, but remember this....

Carl has negotiated through the media before. CP could intention for AS to coach the Chiefs is 2006, but he's not above trying to drive down the price.

Just my $0.02.......

Good point.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 04:16 PM
That is going overboard. When Roaf was out, we did not go to an average left tackle, we went to an absolutely dreadful left tackle.

There is a different between having a top 5-10 offense, which is great, to one that is capable of setting NFL records. Al Saunders is special.

That said, all of our players know the system inside and out, especially Trent, so as long as we change nothing next year, we should be fine with our current players. Al Saunders (and Dick) did a fantastic job teaching the players this system, and he will pay dividends even after he has left.

It's not going overboard.

Al Saunders IS special. Without a doubt.

But suggesting that our offense will fall apart without him? THAT is "going overboard".

Bwana
01-01-2006, 04:17 PM

DTLB58
[QUOTE=tomahawk kid]I've got it on pretty good authority that Willie wants to play 1-2 more seasons.
QUOTE]

Yea, Like from the interview he did this past week that all of us read also. :rolleyes:

dirk digler
If there isn't a press conference by Wed or Thu, I'll start to get nervous that our next head coach could be Wade Phillips, Dick Jauron, or Dom Capers... :banghead:

Yep. I could honestly see Dom Capers being here.

B_Ambuehl
01-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Hell, Trent Green could probably call all the plays himself.

That's very true. Yet, calling the plays out of a Jimmy Raye or Marty playbook is a lot different then calling them out of an Al Saunders playbook. :)

Skip Towne
01-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I've got it on pretty good authority that Willie wants to play 1-2 more seasons.

I wouldn't worry about him leaving a whole lot.....
You got a premium membership?

chiefsfan1963
01-01-2006, 04:22 PM
It's not going overboard.

Al Saunders IS special. Without a doubt.

But suggesting that our offense will fall apart without him? THAT is "going overboard".

I hope you don't get that chance to see our O decline next year b/c AS becomes our next HC. I will say DV is special and like Martz, AS will find out pretty quickly how big those shoes are that he has to fill!!!!!!!!!!

Hoover
01-01-2006, 04:23 PM
The main thing I was is Solari (sp?) to stay here.

The offense is all about Oline play IMO

tomahawk kid
01-01-2006, 04:24 PM
You got a premium membership?

:)

FringeNC
01-01-2006, 04:24 PM
The main thing I was is Solari (sp?) to stay here.

The offense is all about Oline play IMO

Marty had great O-line play for many years....it's necessary, but not sufficient.

tomahawk kid
01-01-2006, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=tomahawk kid]I've got it on pretty good authority that Willie wants to play 1-2 more seasons.
QUOTE]

Yea, Like from the interview he did this past week that all of us read also. :rolleyes:

Um....okay....thanks.

Mr. Laz
01-01-2006, 04:30 PM
We've known for a long time that Carl wouldn't offer Saunders the position.

He wants a defensive coach.
i don't think the "defensive coach" part has much, if anything, to do with it.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I hope you don't get that chance to see our O decline next year b/c AS becomes our next HC. I will say DV is special and like Martz, AS will find out pretty quickly how big those shoes are that he has to fill!!!!!!!!!!

Saunders will get to find out somewhere other than KC, so I could really care less.

It doesn't matter at all that the offense isn't going to just collapse without Vermeil or Saunders, because you'll find some other reason to bombard us with your idiotic shit.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 04:35 PM
i don't think the "defensive coach" part has much, if anything, to do with it.

Explain.

HIChief
01-01-2006, 05:01 PM
If you don't want to see a drop off in offensive production next year, and a loss of several more key veterans i.e. Roaf and/or Shields, the best choice for the new HC IS Saunders. Gun can take care of the defense. If we see anyone else come in, prepare for a rebuilding season or two.

Frankie
01-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Would people shut the **** up about Saunders already?

We're not going to scrap this offense in the offseason. All of the key components are returning.

LJ and Samie Parker are only going to get better.

Hell, Trent Green could probably call all the plays himself.It's been mentioned before, but it's worth repeating: When Roaf went down our top ranked offense went down to #10. OMG, the sky fell!! 22 other teams would love to have the #10 offense. AS and DV had an offense that at it's worst condition was #10. Give the man some credit.
:rolleyes:

Frankie
01-02-2006, 01:19 AM
That's very true. Yet, calling the plays out of a Jimmy Raye or Marty playbook is a lot different then calling them out of an Al Saunders playbook. :)
GREAT observation. :thumb:

shaneo69
01-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Explain.

I agree with Laz that Peterson won't necessarily pass over Saunders just because he wants a defensive guy, but more because of the relationship (or lack thereof) between AS and LJ.

Hammock Parties
01-02-2006, 01:27 AM
It's been mentioned before, but it's worth repeating: When Roaf went down our top ranked offense went down to #10.

This is also incorrect.

We averaged 20.8 offensive points a game without Roaf.

That would rank about 16th.

Take out the Texans game where we scored 38 offensive points and it gets even worse. The average drops to 17.4 points per game, about 23rd or 24th.

Hammock Parties
01-02-2006, 01:29 AM

Yeah, the ones in the Saunders playbook actually WORK. :D

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2006, 01:44 AM

I'll bet people forget about when Saunders kept our leading receiver in to block when Roaf was out. Who knew Dunn could block?

Hammock Parties
01-02-2006, 01:45 AM
I'll bet people forget about when Saunders kept our leading receiver in to block when Roaf was out. Who knew Dunn could block?

That was a stroke of genious right there!

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2006, 01:50 AM
That was a stroke of genious right there!You know, it may be ticky-tack, but its little shit like that, that piss me off about some coaches. Like dropping a DE into coverage, and playing 15 yards off the ****ing ball...

JohnnyV13
01-02-2006, 01:54 AM
This is also incorrect.

Take out the Texans game where we scored 38 offensive points and it gets even worse. The average drops to 17.4 points per game, about 23rd or 24th.

Uh....i think your math is a little off....

Roafless games:

Oakland...............23-17
Denver................10-30
Philadelphia..........31-37
Oakland...............27-23
Buffalo................03-14
Houston..............45-17

thats 139 points, or an ave. of 23.1 per game.

Now, I suppose you took out Dante's TD return and the defensive TD vs. Houston, but to make your analysis stand up, you would have to take away all the non offensive TDs for the entire league to get a valid ranking.

Now, I can just as easily say "take away the Buffalo game" as "take away the Houston game" b/c its an anomolously odd performance. Then we would have a 24.4 average even throwing out the non offense TDs

huskerdooz
01-02-2006, 02:02 AM
This is also incorrect.

If we have to drop the HOU game from the stats then why can't we drop the BUF game as well?

Hammock Parties
01-02-2006, 02:15 AM
If we have to drop the HOU game from the stats then why can't we drop the BUF game as well?

Like I said, it's still 20.8 points per game.

The Houston game is an aberration. Not a true indicator.

You think our defense is as good as it showed in Buffalo, for example?

DaWolf
01-02-2006, 02:50 AM
What we need is our defensive version of Gruden, a guy who can come in and keep the offense near the same level but get our D to a point where we can dominate. This team is close, it just needs to take that final step. Just like Gruden got the Bucs to do in Tampa his first year there.

Al Saunders is not the end all/be all for this offense. Frankly we should be a lot better and a lot more consistent than we are during games. We don't HAVE to score quickly, as Al likes to do. We don't have the tools for that all the time. What we CAN do is dominate the LOS, the TOP, pound them with LJ, move the chains with Gonzo, and beat the other team up. We need to add another wideout to the mix, a guy who defenses take seriously. There was no excuse for the way Gonzo was totally misused this year, especially in the first half of the season. Brian Waters has already pointed out that we lost the Buffalo game because there was "disorganization" on the part of offensive coaches going into that game about what kind of offensive team we wanted to be after Priest went down. Considering that Al Saunders is basically the head coach on offense, you really want that taking over your entire franchise? I sure as hell don't...