PDA

View Full Version : Houston get 1st pick.

chiefsfaninNC
01-01-2006, 06:31 PM
What do they do? Do they go after Bush or Leinart? I say they go after Bush.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Probably Bush and give Carr a new start with a new head coach. Leinert gets buried in New Orleans with no future. Id pull an Eli if i were him.

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 06:36 PM
They'll take Bush. NO will take Leinart at #2. Here's the top 7 if anyone cares, with my guesses in ()

1) Houston (Reggie Bush)
2) New Orleans (Matt Leinart)
3) Oakland (Mario Williams)
4) Tennessee (D'Brickashaw Ferguson)
5) New York Jets (DeAngelo Williams)
6) Green Bay (AJ Hawk)
7) San Francisco (maybe a trade down)

chiefsfaninNC
01-01-2006, 06:39 PM
They'll take Bush. NO will take Leinart at #2. Here's the top 7 if anyone cares, with my guesses in ()

1) Houston (Reggie Bush)
2) New Orleans (Matt Leinart)
3) Oakland (Mario Williams)
4) Tennessee (D'Brickashaw Ferguson)
5) New York Jets (DeAngelo Williams)
6) Green Bay (AJ Hawk)
7) San Francisco (maybe a trade down)

What are we? 19th?

htismaqe
If Houston takes Reggie Bush, they're stupid.

This isn't 1980 anymore, and despite the fact that Reggie is a unique talent, they need to win now.

They should trade down a couple of spots and take Ferguson.

HolmeZz
What are we? 19th?

I only know the top 7, but we're somewhere around there.

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 06:40 PM

This isn't 1980 anymore, and despite the fact that Reggie is a unique talent, they need to win now.

Ferguson allows them to win now?

Hammock Parties
01-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Houston needs O-line...they should seriously trade down because they have more needs than RB.

chiefsfaninNC
01-01-2006, 06:43 PM

Who is going to make that trade? I don't see it happening.

SoCalBronco
01-01-2006, 06:43 PM
oakland is third?

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Ferguson allows them to win now?

They have a top 15 RB already. They have a good young QB who needs only 1 thing - protection.

Ferguson is the best tackle in this draft.

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Houston needs O-line...they should seriously trade down because they have more needs than RB.

OL is deep in this draft. They can address it in round 2. Also, if they're planning on taking Bush, they can trade Domanick Davis, who could possibly net them a decent draft pick.

Ugly Duck
01-01-2006, 06:45 PM
oakland is third?Huh? I don't think so.... is there a link to Oakland being 3rd, or is that just a guess?

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 06:45 PM
oakland is third?

Apparently. It's partly because they play in the AFC West. Boosts up their SOS. Looks like either 3 or 4. I was going on what I heard from another board that had it broken down pretty well.

chiefsfaninNC
01-01-2006, 06:46 PM
OL is deep in this draft. They can address it in round 2. Also, if they're planning on taking Bush, they can trade Domanick Davis, who could possibly net them a decent draft pick.

He has very little trade value if any at all.

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 06:47 PM
He has very little trade value if any at all.

htis just called him a top 15 back, so there's obviously a differing opinion.

I do think he has value. DD's still very young, has talent, and has produced pretty well given Houston's line. If a team's looking for a back, he's better than anyone who will be available in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Hydrae
01-01-2006, 06:48 PM
If I was Houston, I would trade the pick unless they want to replace Carr with Leinart. With Dom Davis, they have little to no need for Bush.

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 06:49 PM
If I was Houston, I would trade the pick unless they want to replace Carr with Leinart. With Dom Davis, they have little to no need for Bush.

The difference between Bush and Davis > the difference between Leinart and Carr.

Hydrae
01-01-2006, 06:50 PM
The difference between Bush and Davis > the difference between Leinart and Carr.

I believe Carr is up for a new contract and Davis is not.

Ugly Duck
01-01-2006, 06:50 PM
oakland is third?From the Great Blue North draft site:

(7:30 PM): Breaking news: Texans get top pick... In the end all the mathematical machinations were academic as Houston lost 20-17 in overtime to San Francisco to wrap up the #1 pick at the 2006 draft. New Oleans, which lost to Tampa Bay will have the 2nd pick, while Tennessee will pick 3rd, the Jets 4th, Green Bay 5th, San Francisco 6th and Oakland 7th. We'll have the full, updated first-round selection order for the 2006 draft after tonight's game between Dallas and St. Louis which will complete the regular schedule.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Yeah, my mistake. The kid edited his order:

1) Houston
2) New Orleans
3) Tennessee
4) New York Jets
5) Green Bay
6) San Francisco (ties with Oakland if St. Louis wins)
7) Oakland
8) Buffalo (St. Louis loss drops them 1)
9) Arizona (Is currently tied with Buffalo but can't end that way)
10) Detroit (Don't believe they can move ahead of anyone but can drop to 11)
11) St Louis (can move in front of Buffalo with a loss)

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 06:55 PM
htis just called him a top 15 back, so there's obviously a differing opinion.

I do think he has value. DD's still very young, has talent, and has produced pretty well given Houston's line. If a team's looking for a back, he's better than anyone who will be available in the 2nd or 3rd round.

RB's have very little trade value in today's NFL.

He is a top 15 back, and he doesn't have much trade value.

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 06:57 PM
RB's have very little trade value in today's NFL.

He is a top 15 back, and he doesn't have much trade value.

Like when Denver got Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis.

A team will trade for an RB. It's not unheard of. And I do think a team would pony up a middle round pick for Davis, who's proven and probably more talented than anyone they could draft in the middle rounds.

Eleazar
01-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Miami could trade up to get into Leinert position. All that team really needs is a QB

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Miami could trade up to get into Leinert position. All that team really needs is a QB

They'd have to trade alot to move up that high. They'd be better off staying put and drafting Cutler if they want a QB.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Like when Denver got Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis.

A team will trade for an RB. It's not unheard of. And I do think a team would pony up a middle round pick for Davis, who's proven and probably more talented than anyone they could draft in the middle rounds.

It's not unheard of. It's EXTREMELY rare.

A 3rd or 4th round pick + Reggie Bush does not even come close to helping the Texans as much as drafting Ferguson would.

Brock
01-01-2006, 07:29 PM
It's not unheard of. It's EXTREMELY rare.

A 3rd or 4th round pick + Reggie Bush does not even come close to helping the Texans as much as drafting Ferguson would.

I think they'll draft Bush anyway.

Rausch
01-01-2006, 07:31 PM
I think they'll draft Bush anyway.

Depends on who their next HC is.

If they could talk JJ out of retirement they'd sell out for the season...

HolmeZz
01-01-2006, 07:34 PM
I think you're overrating D'Brick a little bit, htis. He is the best tackle in this draft, but there's going to be a Marcus McNeill/Joe Thomas/Jonathan Scott/Darryn Colledge type that falls to the beginning of the 2nd round. Also a guy like Jeremy Trueblood could fall into the early 3rd. This is really a terrific OL draft.

sedated
01-01-2006, 07:35 PM
No team would give up the rights to Reggie Bush.

The hype is too much to pass up, similar to LeBron.

sedated
01-01-2006, 07:36 PM
This is really a terrific OL draft.

I hope so. We should pick up 2 early.

Eleazar
01-01-2006, 07:36 PM
My reasoning was:

1. Houston is a long way from contending and could use a trade down to grab some more picks.
2. Domanick Davis is fine as a starting running back. Above 4 YPC behind that line indicates some ability.

Houston is in a very unique spot if you think about it. They are in a position to basically auction off a choice between two of the best players to come out of college football in a long time at premium positions.

If I were running the Texans, I'd get on the phone with every other team in the league tomorrow and let them know the bidding war is on. They should be able to get a Manning-like deal at least.

the Talking Can
01-01-2006, 07:42 PM
the first pick is almost a curse...the money is so ridiculous that only a can't miss QBOTF justifies it...

good RBs can be found everywhere in the draft...and, as KC and Denver demonstrate, the OL is the heart of the offense and will make good QBs and RBs look great...

in terms of $$ per production, we're getting a steal in LJ while Bush will be getting paid more than any RB in the league without having gained a freaking yard...

unless Peyton were available, I'd trade the pick for maximum value...at some point the NFL will have to address it because the top 3-5 picks are crazy in terms of $$$$

the Talking Can
01-01-2006, 07:43 PM
If I were running the Texans, I'd get on the phone with every other team in the league tomorrow and let them know the bidding war is on. They should be able to get a Manning-like deal at least.

absolutely, they should be able to make a killing with that pick...

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 07:43 PM
My reasoning was:

1. Houston is a long way from contending and could use a trade down to grab some more picks.
2. Domanick Davis is fine as a starting running back. Above 4 YPC behind that line indicates some ability.

Houston is in a very unique spot if you think about it. They are in a position to basically auction off a choice between two of the best players to come out of college football in a long time at premium positions.

bingo

We're on the same page.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 07:44 PM
No team would give up the rights to Reggie Bush.

The hype is too much to pass up, similar to LeBron.

That's what they said about Michael Vick. Look how that turned out.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 07:45 PM
I think you're overrating D'Brick a little bit, htis. He is the best tackle in this draft, but there's going to be a Marcus McNeill/Joe Thomas/Jonathan Scott/Darryn Colledge type that falls to the beginning of the 2nd round. Also a guy like Jeremy Trueblood could fall into the early 3rd. This is really a terrific OL draft.

No, I know exactly how deep this draft is at OL.

It's not just Ferguson. It's what they could get in addition to him by trading. They could trade down, get Ferguson, and possibly get another 1st rounder in the process. That's HUGE.

whoman69
01-01-2006, 07:50 PM
That's what they said about Michael Vick. Look how that turned out.
I have to laugh at that SI comercial where the guy tries to say that Vick is the best QB in the league.

the Talking Can
01-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Vick was awesome today.

115 yards and 1 INT.

What a joke.

whoman69
01-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I hate this that were talking draft already. I'd rather be talking playoffs.

Brock
01-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Vick was awesome today.

115 yards and 1 INT.

What a joke.

It seems like only yesterday they were talking about how dangerous he would be when he finally figures out the pro game.

Never mind, it was yesterday.

Eleazar
01-01-2006, 07:59 PM
When will the brass in Atlanta figure out that Vick is not the answer?

I'm wondering how many years down the road that will be. The Steelers eventually made the move with Kordell Stewart and he was better than Vick.

Brock
01-01-2006, 08:01 PM

I'm wondering how many years down the road that will be. The Steelers eventually made the move with Kordell Stewart and he was better than Vick.

Economically, he's a good thing for the league. He'll be there until he can't run anymore.

Ultra Peanut
01-01-2006, 08:02 PM
If they don't trade down and get a lineman, they're teh stoopid.

the Talking Can
01-01-2006, 08:03 PM

the best QB in Atlanta is the back-up...one more year of pop warner quarterbacking from the "Human Herpes Video" will start the painful process of Atlantans (-ians?) admitting that he is a #3 WR paid like a probowl QB...the buyers remorse will be brutal, and fun to watch from a distance...

Ultra Peanut
01-01-2006, 08:03 PM
That's what they said about Michael Vick. Look how that turned out.San Diego makes out like bandits by trading down?

Well said.

Mecca
01-01-2006, 08:07 PM
From everything I've heard, they'll take Bush and then split him with Davis atleast for the first season. That way Bush won't die in their backfield getting to many touches.

If I was them, with this draft. They can take Bush first then go Oline in rounds 2 and 3 and fill needs while getting the best player in the draft.

KevB
01-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Supposedly, Houston's owner was saying three weeks ago he wanted Bush if the opportunity presented itself. I agree with everyone suggesting a trade, but Dom Davis is injury prone so I don't think having Dom is justification for trading down. Having decent backups like Wells and Morency (last year's 2nd round pick) is the justification.

They clearly need offensive line....badly. Gotta go O-Line after a trade down, or the best front seven defender.

melbar
01-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Who on their O-line is worth keeping? how bout OL in the first AND second round?

Mecca
01-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I think that's a really stupid idea when you can get the best player in the draft and get Oline because it's deep this year. The Texans can get a starting tackle with their 2nd pick.