PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Edwards appears off-limits, Saunders to be interviewed

FringeNC
01-02-2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13531716.htm

Search to start close to home
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs will begin their search for a new head coach by interviewing offensive coordinator Al Saunders sometime this week.

But it won’t end there. By the time the Chiefs hire a replacement for the newly retired Dick Vermeil, president/general manager Carl Peterson probably will have talked with several candidates with far-reaching backgrounds: college head coaches, NFL assistants and former NFL head coaches.

Peterson indicated Sunday after the Vermeil era ended with a 37-3 win over Cincinnati at Arrowhead Stadium that he has several names on his search list, though he would reveal none other than Saunders. But NFL defensive coordinator Gregg Williams of Washington, a native of Excelsior Springs, and Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops could be on that list.

One of Peterson’s favorite candidates, Jets coach Herman Edwards, appears to be off limits. Edwards has two years remaining on his contract, and Peterson said NFL tampering rules forbid him from contacting the Jets regarding Edwards.

“If the Jets call me, obviously I’d talk to them,” Peterson said.

After the Jets ended their season Sunday, Edwards tried to end the speculation he would jump to the Chiefs.

“As far as I’m concerned,” he told reporters in New York, “I’ll be back.”

Peterson also indicated he would comply with the NFL rules requiring teams with coaching vacancies to interview at least one minority candidate.

Asked whether he would interview other internal candidates in addition to Saunders, Peterson said, “At this point, no.”

That would rule out former Chiefs head coach Gunther Cunningham, now their defensive coordinator.

Peterson said he had no preference for a coach with an offensive or defensive background. He indicated he wanted a seasoned coach but didn’t care if that experience came in the NFL or college.

“Besides Al Saunders, there are some talented guys, and some of them right now are coaching in the playoffs,” Peterson said. “I owe it to Lamar (Hunt) and Clark (Hunt) to talk to those people also.”

Lamar Hunt, the Chiefs owner, echoed those sentiments.

“I think it’s important for us to have somebody who has experience,” Hunt said. “I don’t know personally that it is important to have pro experience. I’m open-minded in that respect. Clearly, the job Nick Saban has done this year (with Miami) proves you can come out of college and do pretty darn good.”

The Chiefs are replacing a 69-year-old coach in Vermeil. Even when he was hired five years ago, the Chiefs viewed Vermeil as a short-term coach. He wound up staying five seasons, two longer than they expected.

Their next coach probably will be someone much younger who could be a long-term solution.

“One thing I’d like to see is someone who has ample time to really make a name for himself and build a foundation here.” Hunt said. “We’re not looking for a two-year fix or one-year fix.”

Imon Yourside
01-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Bring on Saunders/Stoops!

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 10:47 AM
saunders was interviewed last time

they either want him or not ... the interview is BS

Herzig
01-02-2006, 10:49 AM
The Chiefs are replacing a 69-year-old coach in Vermeil. Even when he was hired five years ago, the Chiefs viewed Vermeil as a short-term coach. He wound up staying five seasons, two longer than they expected.

Their next coach probably will be someone much younger who could be a long-term solution.

“One thing I’d like to see is someone who has ample time to really make a name for himself and build a foundation here.” Hunt said. “We’re not looking for a two-year fix or one-year fix.”

Briiilllllannt! duh Teicher...every coach in the NFL is younger than Vermeil!

FringeNC
01-02-2006, 10:49 AM

It does indicate Athan was full of it when he reported that Saunders had already accepted the job at Detroit.

beavis
01-02-2006, 11:11 AM
It does indicate Athan was full of it when he reported that Saunders had already accepted the job at Detroit.
I'd be truely shocked if that were the case. :rolleyes:

Deberg_1990
01-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Yep, just a formality is all. I dont think Peterson wants him to be honest.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2006, 11:17 AM
[url]

It appears they dont want to go the Gunther Cunningham route of 99-2000 and hire from within....Signs dont look good for Saunders.

King_Chief_Fan
01-02-2006, 11:18 AM
It appears they dont want to go the Gunther Cunningham route of 99-2000 and hire from within....Signs dont look good for Saunders.

Let's pick Jeff Fisher and be done with it!!

FringeNC
01-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Another Teicher:

Saunders waiting on his prospects
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Al Saunders put a final flourish on his head-coaching resume Sunday. The Chiefs’ offensive coordinator designed a game plan that resulted in four touchdowns and a season-high 537 yards in a 37-3 rout of Cincinnati at Arrowhead Stadium.

Now the waiting game begins as Saunders attempts to get a head-coaching job. He will talk to the Chiefs about replacing Dick Vermeil and probably will have one or more interviews in the coming weeks.

The Lions, who fired Steve Mariucci several weeks ago, could come calling. As many as eight other teams could be looking for new head coaches as soon as today.

Saunders wouldn’t answer questions about his future Sunday. But after the Chiefs finished a fourth straight season among the league leaders in scoring and yardage, his prospects of becoming a head coach have never been better.

“Without any question, he’ll get some interviews,” Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “He deserves it.”

Vermeil campaigned one final time after Sunday’s game for Saunders to be his successor.

“A number of people who have been given opportunities are not nearly as qualified,” Vermeil said. “He’s paid his dues. He’s done a remarkable job here.”

Quarterback Trent Green joined Vermeil in stumping for Saunders.

“I’ve said all along that I have a great relationship with Al and I enjoy this offense,” Green said. “It’s an offense I’ve been in my entire career with different coordinators in different phases of my career.

“Al would make a great head coach. But that’s not my job. Carl is going to make a great decision either way. I have expressed to him there are a lot of guys who have been in this offense a long time, myself included, and I don’t know if we necessarily want a change in philosophy.

“I think we’re built really well for the type of offense we run. I’d like to see Al given the opportunity, but my job is as a player, and whoever they bring in, I’m going to support.”

KChiefs1
01-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Is Fisher going to be fired?

Come on down Jeff Fisher!

MichaelH
01-02-2006, 11:35 AM

That sounds like some ugly rebuilding years to which I say bullshit! As much as Al Saunders has his downsides, he can run an offense. I would really like the same offensive system kept with personel changes to both the coaching staff and the players. I think this team can go far into the playoffs next year under this system.

C-Mac
01-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Quarterback Trent Green joined Vermeil in stumping for Saunders.
“I’ve said all along that I have a great relationship with Al and I enjoy this offense,” Green said. “It’s an offense I’ve been in my entire career with different coordinators in different phases of my career.

“Al would make a great head coach. But that’s not my job. Carl is going to make a great decision either way. I have expressed to him there are a lot of guys who have been in this offense a long time, myself included, and I don’t know if we necessarily want a change in philosophy.

“I think we’re built really well for the type of offense we run. I’d like to see Al given the opportunity, but my job is as a player, and whoever they bring in, I’m going to support.”

That seals it for me. Saunders will be the next head coach.

Sure-Oz
01-02-2006, 12:45 PM
This offense must stay, we have a real chance of being pretty damn good if we got some help. I hope Saunders stays.

Rausch
01-02-2006, 12:53 PM
That seals it for me. Saunders will be the next head coach.

That seals it for me.

No matter who Peterson hires Green will be back...

BigChiefFan
01-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I have short list of who I would like to see become the coach of the Chiefs and Saunders is included in that list. I definitely would like to see the continuity of the offense stay in place and Saunders guarantees us that.

Johnson&Johnson
01-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Now that the season's over..I have to chant something else other than LJ!

FISH-ER!

FISHER!

FISHER!

splatbass
01-02-2006, 01:49 PM

You're right. CP know Saunders very well after all these years. If he wanted to hire him he would just do it, an interview would not be necessary. I believe he interviewed him after Marty left, too. He interviewed Saunders just to look like he was giving him a fair chance. Saunders is gone.

Mecca
01-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Basically all the Chiefs players want Saunders........which tells me there's no way he gets it.

Rain Man
01-02-2006, 02:09 PM
As of this current moment, I'd be happy with Saunders, Jeff Fisher, or Herm Edwards. I'm not familiar with any of the college coaches, so I don't really have an opinion on them.

I don't want to hire an existing NFL coach with a losing career record.

siberian khatru
01-02-2006, 02:11 PM
As of this current moment, I'd be happy with Saunders, Jeff Fisher, or Herm Edwards. I'm not familiar with any of the college coaches, so I don't really have an opinion on them.

I don't want to hire an existing NFL coach with a losing career record.

You mean like Herm "39-41" Edwards? ;)

Matt39
01-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Coming from a Jets fan, please, PLEASE take Herman away from us. Hell, we will even give you Bradway as well. The Jets franchise have been run into the ground by these two bozos running the show.

Brock
01-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Coming from a Jets fan, please, PLEASE take Herman away from us. Hell, we will even give you Bradway as well. The Jets franchise have been run into the ground by these two bozos running the show.

Nothing personal, but your team has won playoff games under Herman Edwards. I don't see how you can blame him for your entire team being on crutches.

Mecca
01-02-2006, 02:16 PM

Don't like the guys from KC eh, I guess that's what you get for hiring a Peterson assistant to be GM.

Rain Man
01-02-2006, 02:19 PM
You mean like Herm "39-41" Edwards? ;)

(Dismissive wave). I'll take the playoffs most years, with the occasional bomb in between where four quarterbacks go down.

Matt39
01-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Herm's overral record with the Jets is 39-41. His clock management is atrocious. He gets attached to veterans and refuses to play the younger players. He's conservtaive as can be. He hasn't improved on anything since day 1 with the Jets.

We've won 2 playoff games under Herm in 5 seasons. Roethlisberger handed us the divisional game last season and we still couldn't get the job done.

Jets fans as a whole are more than ready to move on from this guy. Beleive me, next season, if Herms your HC, you'll be hearing the same complaints Jet fans ahve had for 5 seasons.

Going 9-7 and 10-6 doesn't bring you to your ultimate goal, which Edwards doesn't seem to realize. He's merely happy with, "making the playoffs."

Matt39
01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
BTW guys, excellent board you gus have over here!

The whole "KC connection" the Jets had the past 4 seasons with Dumbway, Herm and *gasp* Hackett drove most Jets fans insane.

Rain Man
01-02-2006, 02:21 PM

I have nothing against Edwards or Bradway, but I just had the bone-chilling thought that, if hired in Kansas City, they might consider bringing back Paul Hackett. AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Mecca
01-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Herm's overral record with the Jets is 39-41. His clock management is atrocious. He gets attached to veterans and refuses to play the younger players. He's conservtaive as can be. He hasn't improved on anything since day 1 with the Jets.

We've won 2 playoff games under Herm in 5 seasons. Roethlisberger handed us the divisional game last season and we still couldn't get the job done.

Jets fans as a whole are more than ready to move on from this guy. Beleive me, next season, if Herms your HC, you'll be hearing the same complaints Jet fans ahve had for 5 seasons.

Going 9-7 and 10-6 doesn't bring you to your ultimate goal, which Edwards doesn't seem to realize. He's merely happy with, "making the playoffs."

I think every fan of every team think's their coach is horrible at clock management. I could levy almost everything you just said about him against Vermiel, the joy of having a coach who screws up exactly the same way.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 02:22 PM
His clock management is atrocious. He gets attached to veterans and refuses to play the younger players. He's conservtaive as can be. He hasn't improved on anything since day 1 with the Jets.

sounds like vermeil :)

Rain Man
01-02-2006, 02:23 PM

Braggart.

Matt39
01-02-2006, 02:27 PM
If you guys have some time on your hands, someone wrote a lengthy case against both Herm and Bradway. It's pretty interesting.

http://www.theganggreen.com/editorial/story.php?id=57

Matt39
01-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Heres another one on Edwards/Bradway, before the start of the 2005 season.

All Wrong: The Terry and Herm Regime in Retrospect

Posted on October 3rd, 2005
by JetMoses
JetNation Columnist

I’ve never been able to figure out Herman Edwards and Terry Bradway. When they took over in 2001, did they think this was a “win now” team? There are things they have done that would indicate they did, such as re-signing Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet to long-term contracts. Or did they think this was a “rebuilding” team? There are things they have done that would indicate that, too: gutting the O-line and secondary, implementing new systems, replacing DC Mike Nolan and OC Dan Henning, and experimenting with players in new positions. From these mixed signals, I can only conclude that either they didn’t know what they were doing, or they were trying to be cute and have their cake and eat it too. Rebuilding on the fly is a precarious undertaking for even the savviest NFL minds; for two inexperienced, novices it was pure folly.

I don’t think HC Herman Edwards and GM Terry Bradway have ever been on the same page. In retrospect, I can look back to the halcyon days of the Bradway/Edwards regime and see that Herm had some specific ideas regarding personal philosophy and the direction he wanted to take the team. Bradway (and Tannenbaum), on the other hand, was obsessed with the salary cap– all personnel decisions were made with that as a priority.

There was nothing wrong with the team that Terry Bradway and Herman Edwards inherited. Al Groh and his coaching staff were not fired– they quit. The systems that they used were fine. This was a team that was one John Hall shank away from making the playoffs. This was not a train wreck that needed an overhaul. All they really needed was a WR to replace Keyshawn Johnson (who was traded in 2000) and a veteran coaching staff that had the experience and wisdom to not screw things up.

It is clear that both the GM and HC agreed that this was a “win now” team.

But Terry Bradway was faced with a salary cap mess that had to be addressed. Their initial folly was convincing themselves that they could piecemeal gut the roster but continue to be competitive. I believed then that the best course of action would have been to completely blow up the roster, resulting in a losing season or two. Time has proven the pragmatism of that objective, but what made me believe it back then? Several reasons. If your subjective beliefs convince you that you have a “win now” team (fans, media, NFL personnel all believed the Jets were a legitimate SB contender in 2001), then you do not bring in a rookie HC and an inexperienced GM to guide it. Once Herm and Terry were given the job, then all expectations to contend for a title should have been removed, but they were not. Herman Edwards was eager to feather his cap and definitely wanted to make an immediate splash in the NFL. He was given the keys to the kingdom- very rarely does a rookie HC get an opportunity to take over a competitive football team (unless he is already on the staff).

They had one of the best offensive lines in football; they had two young, dynamic bookends at DE; they had a future HOF RB; they had a quality secondary; they had a plethora of linebackers: Roman Phifer, James Farrior, Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones and Bryan Cox. They had a QB of the future in Chad Pennington.

Owner Woody Johnson elected to go with a raw GM and HC who decided to try and win right away with somebody else’s team, but with their own system- a system that only worked in Tampa Bay because they had a HOF DT, a HOF LB, and a defensive coordinator who knew what he was doing. The Jets had none of that.

Terry Bradway began to make personnel decisions based on the information Herman Edwards was feeding him. In essence, the Jets began the process of removing all the players that didn’t “fit” Herm’s new system instead of retaining these players and keeping the original system. By Terry’s way of thinking, it was killing two birds with one stone, as his priority was cutting salary. At times, I’m sure Terry had designs to cut a particular player, but elected to cut somebody else because Herm wanted to keep the other player.

Think about what is going on here: Herman Edwards and Terry Bradway agree that this is a “win now” team, yet they implement a new system on both sides of the ball and get rid of all the players that were responsible for making the Jets a “win now” team. But wait, it gets worse. They retained key players from the old regime, and signed them to huge contracts which defeated the purpose of all the salary cap cuts they were simultaneously making. Prior to the 2001 season, Bryan Cox and Roman Phifer were released (along with Rick Lyle, Anthony Pleasant and Jerome Wiggins: they would go on to win a championship with the Patriots that same season).

In 1997, Bill Parcells took over a 1-15 team and in two short years had them 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl. His drafts were not the greatest, his contract negotiations were suspect, his decision to release Glen Foley and replace him with Rick Mirer as a backup to Vinny Testaverde was regrettable, but–BUT–the man was obviously doing something right. The reason why Bill Parcells was successful as HC of the NYJ is because he had a foundation based on proven principals that he employed in his system. Bill Parcells was able to maximize the potential of all of his players. He was adaptable and was able to improvise. The man assessed the talent of his team, and he and his staff created schemes in which they could compete, thrive, and sometimes dominate their opponents. The circumstances under which Parcells resigned as HC and became GM are dubious. The decision to retain Parcells as GM was made by owner Woody Johnson. This was not a good choice. Parcells was a proven HC, but was less than average as a GM. Nonetheless, the 2000 New York Jets, lead by HC Al Groh, managed a 9-7 season.

If not for one missed Jon Hall FG against the Lions, and/or a mindless INT thrown by Vinny Testaverde against the Ravens, that team would have assuredly made the playoffs. It would be Al Groh’s only season as HC, and Bill Parcells’ last as GM. But before leaving the team, Parcells drafted Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Lavernues Coles, Chad Pennington, and Anthony Becht. A successful foundation was in place. All Woody Johnson had to do was hire somebody with a little common sense who could maximize its potential.

Herman Edwards had no previous HC experience and had been fast tracked up the ranks via the NFL minority coach program. Edwards and new OC Paul Hackett and DC Ted Cottrell could not have properly evaluated the talent on the team, because if they did they would not have tried to implement schemes on both sides of the ball that did not maximize the potential of the players. Amazingly, they did the complete opposite.

Herm came in with the attitude “this is how we did it in Tampa Bay.” He was convinced a three gap defensive line and cover two secondary, which required linebackers to maintain “gap discipline,” would be the way to go. The strength of the defense- the linebackers- were basically neutralized in this new system. For proof of that, just watch a tape of Herm’s coaching debut; the Jets vs. Colts. James Farrior, Marvin Jones, and Mo Lewis were completely humiliated in that game.

All during Herm’s inaugural training camp, red flag after red flag kept going up, but Herm was convinced that his Tampa Bay system would work. The moment I became convinced that Herman Edwards was either too stubborn or too foolish for his own good was when NT Jason Ferguson was lost for the season due to a torn rotator cuff. There was still time to switch to a two gap; the Jets had the personnel (Abraham, Lewis, Farrior, and Jones) and a coach (Ted Cottrell) to run it effectively. But Herm was determined to move forward.

DC Ted Cottrell was a willing dupe. A proper assessment by Cottrell would have easily led to the conclusion that the strength of the team would have been maximized in a two gap defense/man to man secondary.

From the word “go” Paul Hackett refused to work with Vinny Testaverde. Hackett convinced himself that the success of the offense was completely dependent on cutting down Vinny’s INT. With these ideological blinders on, Hackett succeeded in cutting Vinny’s INT’s down, but in the process, completely neutralized Vinny’s strengths.

The Jets still won ten games and made the playoffs that year, in spite of a flawed defensive front that ranked dead last against the run. The following season, Herm remained stubborn and convinced his defensive scheme was good, he just needed a new batch of “ the right players”. Player turnover continued, but the results didn’t change. After two years, the entire 2000 secondary –Corwin Brown, Aaron Glenn, Marcus Coleman, and Victor Green- and LB’er James Farrior were all gone. The Jets finished 9-7 in 2002, off the sensational debut of Chad Pennington. In pre-season of 2003, Chad was injured in the final minutes of the first half. A rookie FB, BJ Askew, missed a blocking assignment.
Chad missed a few games that year but was rushed back, to no avail. The Jets finished 6-10. Last year, the Jets finished 10-6. What progress has this team made in five years? Really, all they have done is tread water and the core players are all aging rapidly. This team is on the verge of collapse. Don’t believe me? Then you must have your head in the sand. Chad Pennington is done. Say what you want about the strength of his arm, but that guy was a quality NFL starter. Guys like that don’t grow on trees. Look around the league. He’s not easily replaced. RB Curtis Martins long term contract was a gamble by Terry Bradway. Since the Jets in 2001 were a “win now” team, it made sense. In 2005, it no longer makes sense. But Martin’s contract is nowhere near expiration, and even if it was, replacing him, like Pennington, is not as easy as waving a magic wand. Long term planning and some of these dilemmas could have been avoided. But Herm and Terry have never demonstrated any stability.

All of Terry’s draft picks have been “panic” picks– players drafted for need, as opposed to taking the best available player. Santana Moss is perplexing; they draft a WR who can spread the field out, while establishing a west coast offense that features a lot of underneath stuff. They draft a punt returner while implementing a defense that never made the other team punt. Bryan Thomas was another panic pick. The year before, Herm moved Shaun Ellis from DE to DT, but then after Bradway fills the position, Herm has Ellis move back to DE. Even this years draft pick, K Mike Nugent, had implications of an ulterior motive. Bradway insists he was the best available player on the board, but the pick was undoubtedly a symbolic gesture towards Doug Brien, as if he alone was the reason why the Jets came up short in Pittsburgh last December. But anybody paying attention could see that there were several moments of chaos prior to Doug’s kick. We saw the same thing against the Giants in 2003. We witnessed this chaos as recent opening day, in Kansas City, when James Reed punched Jonathan Vilma in the eye. Game day during Herm’s tenure has been wrought with chaos, indecisiveness, an inability to understand the rules, play clock meltdowns, and mindless play calling.

Herman Edwards has had success. His teams have made the playoffs three out of four years, posting a post season record of 2-3. But this team has been too inconsistent; with the exception of the last three games of the 2002 season, they have never put together a stretch run where they were clicking on all cylinders. Herm’s apologists will say he’s never had Chad Pennington for a full season. But 2001 and 2002 were by design. The one year where Chad did start the season, 2004, the play calling was so conservative and the offense didn’t look that impressive anyway. It was the defense that was responsible for the 5-0 start.

The QB and RB are finished. The 0-Line is a shell of its former self. All those players have to be replaced, and it’s going to take years for this team to be competitive, again. Herm has had five years to get it done. He got the best five years out of the careers of Kevin Mawae, Curtis Martin, and Chad Pennington. He squandered them. It’s time to give somebody else a shot at HC.

Matt39
01-02-2006, 02:45 PM
This one pretty much sums up Herm. Before his first season with the Jets. Keep in mind the Jets went out opening day at home and got walloped 45-24 to the Colts. Actually pretty similar to the ass kicking you guys gave us opening day this season.

'Club Ed' ends dream camp

Jets wrap with laughs, feast

By RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Herman Edwards isn't your typical NFL head coach. Away from the field, he chases foul balls and washes dishes for his players. (More on that later.) On the field, he runs such a light training camp that some rivals mock his methods, saying he has created a "Club Med" atmosphere around the Jets.
It was vintage Edwards yesterday at Hofstra, where the Jets concluded two-a-days. Edwards, responding to a request by guard Randy Thomas, made a last-minute change to the schedule, conducting a no-pads practice in the afternoon - every player's dream.

It also was a no-Vinny practice. Edwards excused Vinny Testaverde so the quarterback could accompany owner Woody Johnson to the New York Stock Exchange, where they rang the closing bell. Edwards said it was no big deal - that Testaverde only practices once a day anyway.

The final two-a-day workout ended on a light note, with six rookie offensive linemen - in a mild hazing ritual - walking off the field, topless, holding hands. It wasn't a pretty sight. They strolled past about 200 fans, who laughed and applauded.

"Close your eyes, kids," Thomas yelled out.

Afterward, the players proceeded to the dining hall, where they enjoyed a Hawaiian luau. The menu included lobster, roasted pig, sweet-and-sour chicken and assorted tropical pies. After dinner there was entertainment - a rookie show in the team auditorium.

Edwards doesn't run a boot camp. It's more like a loafer camp. But he doesn't care what anybody thinks. He believes in his philosophy, and has the record to back it up. He led the Jets to a 10-6 mark last season, becoming the first rookie coach in team history to make the playoffs.

More impressive than Edwards' record is how the players speak of him. The reverence is almost stunning.

"Herm's way definitely works," said Curtis Martin, who also played under the iron-fisted style of Bill Parcells and Al Groh. "Herm is a good changeup. He's what this team needs right now.

"Coming off Al Groh," Martin continued, "a lot of people had a bad taste in their mouth. Herm came in and he was going to have that Bill Parcells mentality, where he wasn't going to let you pull slick stuff past him, but also be very approachable and very humble."

Martin illustrated his point by recalling two Herm moments. In the team's spring softball game, Edwards repeatedly scaled a fence to retrieve foul balls that landed in the Hofstra parking lot. Groh wouldn't have done that; there wouldn't have been a softball game in the first place.

The other Herm moment occurred the other day, when he noticed Martin eating cereal out of the box. There were no bowls available, Martin told him. Edwards searched Weeb Ewbank Hall, found a bowl, cleaned it in a sink (yes, with dishwashing soap) and gave it to Martin.

"How many coaches would've done that?" Martin said.

The only bowl Parcells cared about is the one with Roman numerals.

Edwards is different, all right. The players already have enjoyed six days off. His objective is to keep the players fresh for the regular season. Critics say he's too soft.

One person with intimate knowledge of Edwards' style said there's a "deterioration in the discipline," calling last season's success "a residual effect from the Parcells regime."

Edwards isn't likely to change, though he has made at least one adjustment. He's more involved in the offense, often attending meetings and offering instruction to players.

"Last year, I couldn't do that," said Edwards, who was raised on the defensive side of the ball. "I didn't feel comfortable doing that because I wasn't in there enough. Now they know I've been in it."

Now the "hard" part of the preseason is over. Aloha.

Originally published on August 22, 2001

tk13
01-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Herm gets attached to veterans? I don't buy that. He threw both Abraham and Ellis into the mix. Then kept sticking Dwayne Robertson out there even though people thought he was a bust. He ended up putting Vilma in over Cowart last year to make him the defensive rookie of the year. He was the guy who made Chad Pennington the starter.

Heck, look at your team this year. In your secondary you have a rookie, Justin Miller, starting at one corner. And your two safeties were a 2nd day pick last year, and a 2nd day pick this year, both started as rookies.

Matt39
01-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Ellis and Abe were both starting before Herm got there. Cowart started ahead of Vilma last season untill he got hurt. As of now, Robertson could be considered a bust. Millers starting because David Barrett got hurt.

Chad became the starter in 2002 because Vinny got hurt as well. Thankfully for Herm, Chad saved his job in 02.

Hell, Herm kept both Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis in the starting lineup throughout the entire 03 season when he had a perfectly healthy rookie in Victor Hobson on the bench.

Chrebet was starting at the slot while a perfectly fine young WR in Jericho Cothchery(broke Holts records at NC state) on the bench.

Herm couldnt find a way to get Lamont Jordan in the game, even when Curtis was struggling. Hell, Herm dedicated this season to get Curtis Martin 1000 yards when the guy had a friggin tear in his knee, while a rookie Cedric Houston, who had a nice career at Tennesse looked on from the bench.

As crazy as this sounds, if Herm goes to KC and Priest comes back, it wouldnt surpise me in the least to see him starting over LJ.

Herm's gotten better at playing youth on defense, but offense...forget about it.

htismaqe
01-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Basically all the Chiefs players want Saunders........which tells me there's no way he gets it.

If the offensive players want him, cool.

If the defensive players want him, color me OFFICIALLY concerned.

htismaqe
01-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Asked whether he would interview other internal candidates in addition to Saunders, Peterson said, “At this point, no.”

That would rule out former Chiefs head coach Gunther Cunningham, now their defensive coordinator.

This makes me very happy.

This makes me even happier.

dirk digler
01-02-2006, 05:14 PM
This makes me very happy.

This makes me even happier.

Welcome to KC Coach Stoops.

:D

The Bad Guy
01-02-2006, 05:24 PM
The AP said in their column today that an NFL spokesman said the Chiefs could ask the Jets to speak with Herm.

Matt39
01-02-2006, 05:29 PM
http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=427

CoMoChief
01-02-2006, 05:46 PM
If Saunders isnt the next HC, I'm gonna find CP and literally kick his ass. I wonder if he has undercover body guards because I can never understand how anyone hasn't tried to kick his ass out in public yet.

htismaqe
01-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Welcome to KC Coach Stoops.

:D

Although they said they're looking young, they're also looking for someone with a bit of experience.

I'm hoping that precludes Stoops.

RedThat
01-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Although they said they're looking young, they're also looking for someone with a bit of experience.

I'm hoping that precludes Stoops.

Mariucci? Who knows?

splatbass
01-02-2006, 06:11 PM
I wonder if he has undercover body guards because I can never understand how anyone hasn't tried to kick his ass out in public yet.

Maybe because not everyone is a crazed maniac that uses violence when he doesn't get his way? Just saying....

tk13
01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Ellis and Abe were both starting before Herm got there. Cowart started ahead of Vilma last season untill he got hurt. As of now, Robertson could be considered a bust. Millers starting because David Barrett got hurt.

Chad became the starter in 2002 because Vinny got hurt as well. Thankfully for Herm, Chad saved his job in 02.

Hell, Herm kept both Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis in the starting lineup throughout the entire 03 season when he had a perfectly healthy rookie in Victor Hobson on the bench.

Chrebet was starting at the slot while a perfectly fine young WR in Jericho Cothchery(broke Holts records at NC state) on the bench.

Herm couldnt find a way to get Lamont Jordan in the game, even when Curtis was struggling. Hell, Herm dedicated this season to get Curtis Martin 1000 yards when the guy had a friggin tear in his knee, while a rookie Cedric Houston, who had a nice career at Tennesse looked on from the bench.

As crazy as this sounds, if Herm goes to KC and Priest comes back, it wouldnt surpise me in the least to see him starting over LJ.

Herm's gotten better at playing youth on defense, but offense...forget about it.
So basically, you just gave me a bunch of examples of a young guy coming in and taking an older guy's job, then you try to scare us and say he'd start Priest over LJ.

Yeah, you aren't bitter.

Matt39
01-02-2006, 06:20 PM
If you actually read it, you'd see the younger guy got a chance because the veteran got injured. The only way a younger player could take over is if the veteran got injured.