PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards

Chiefnj
01-02-2006, 11:33 AM
If anyone is interested there is a link on the NY Jets website to Herm's live press conference. It was supposed to begin at 12:00 noon. It hasn't started yet, which is interesting - you wonder if there is some negotiating or discussions holding things up.

Chan93lx50
01-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Was anything said?

Shox
01-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Why is everyone so hyped on Herm Edwards.

What has done that is so outstanding. I dont' get it.

Chan93lx50
01-02-2006, 01:24 PM

Ummm, its not hype, its just that his name has been brought up millions of times as the replacement for DV. So when there is a press conference on Black monday, it is interesting to see what he has to say.

Shox
01-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Ummm, its not hype, its just that his name has been brought up millions of times as the replacement for DV. So when there is a press conference on Black monday, it is interesting to see what he has to say.

UMMM, my point is not about the press conference, but why the Chiefs would be so interested in Edwards.

greenisgod10
01-03-2006, 12:27 AM
the chiefs are interested in edwards b/c hes a good head coach, similar to dick vermeil, and he has taken the jets to the playoffs more times than vermeil took the chiefs...the only problem is compensation

Abba-Dabba
01-03-2006, 12:30 AM
the chiefs are interested in edwards b/c hes a good head coach, similar to dick vermeil, and he has taken the jets to the playoffs more times than vermeil took the chiefs...the only problem is compensation

ROFL

Similar to DV? How so?

And FWIW, if he is similar, which he is not, didn't we just go thru that failure?

Rausch
01-03-2006, 01:10 AM
ROFL

Similar to DV? How so?

And FWIW, if he is similar, which he is not, didn't we just go thru that failure?

Herm played for DV and is known for being a "player's coach."

He's very DV-like...

Herzig
01-03-2006, 01:11 AM

Edwards has ties to the Chiefs and Peterson, who tried to recruit Edwards to go to UCLA, then signed him as an undrafted free agent with Philadelphia, and gave him his first NFL job as an executive in the Chiefs' player personnel department in 1990.

When the Jets played Kansas City to open the 2005 season, Edwards and his wife had dinner with Peterson and his wife - something Peterson said was rare for him to do during the year. But there is one major stumbling block ahead should the Jets allow Edwards to talk to another team: The Chiefs would have to give up draft picks because Edwards has two years remaining on his contract.

Rausch
01-03-2006, 01:14 AM
But there is one major stumbling block ahead should the Jets allow Edwards to talk to another team: The Chiefs would have to give up draft picks because Edwards has two years remaining on his contract.

NO THEY ****ING DON'T!

Jesus ****ing tits! How many times must this be explained to people...

luv
01-03-2006, 01:18 AM
NO THEY ****ING DON'T!

Breathe in.....breathe out.....breathe in.....breathe out.....

Everything's going to be okay. Say it with me. Everything's going to....now now, I said say it with me. Everything's going to be okay. Gooood.

Logical
01-03-2006, 01:20 AM
NO THEY ****ING DON'T!

Brad,

This reopened the issue, it is a thread on the 2nd page.

Lets set the record straight.....(I know, it's PFT)

POSTED 3:43 p.m. EST, January 2, 2006

CLEARING THE AIR ON PICKS FOR COACHES

After the Bucs acquired Raiders coach Jon Gruden by sending a pack of picks to the pirates of Piedmont, the NFL circulated a memo that supposedly prohibited this practice.

As explained in the January 17, 2003 St. Petersburg Times, the Competition Committee had concluded that the use of draft picks to secure coaches could be undermining the purposes of the draft (http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/17/Bucs/NFL_nixes_draft_picks.shtml).

Not long thereafter, then-Bucs G.M. Rich McKay told ESPN.com that the memo was not intended to apply to head coaches (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1496578.html).

At a time when there will be plenty of head coaching vacancies and not enough high-end candidates, some teams could be interested in guys who already are gainfully employed with other NFL teams. Thus, the possibility of using draft picks has come up again, and plenty of our readers wanted to know whether the practice was still permitted.

League spokesman Greg Aiello told us on Monday that draft picks can be used to acquire a head coach or a high-ranking club executive (such as G.M. or the equivalent). Draft choices cannot be used, per Aiello, to acquire coordinators, position coaches, or executives below the level of president or G.M.

We've got a feeling that this rule will come into play for at least one of the current coaching and/or G.M. vacancies this year, possibly if the Chiefs come after coach Herm Edwards of the Jets.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 01:23 AM
The Chiefs won't do that.

They're going to wait until Edwards resigns or is fired or whatever.

chefsos
01-03-2006, 01:49 AM
The Chiefs won't do that.

They're going to wait until Edwards resigns or is fired or whatever.
I sure as hell hope that's true. If Herm ends up here, he's gonna start in a credibility hole if Carl gives up picks for him (Insert Rausch neg rep here). Hell, the picks given up for DV are still an irritant on this board to this day. Herm's going to have to knock some socks off to get past that.

01-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Jeff Fisher

silkysam
01-03-2006, 02:02 AM
here's a thought that i hadn't seen anyone bring up yet. carl said he was going to comply with the nfl rules of interviewing a minority for the head coaching position.

this is the way to do it. they don't want edwards because it'll cost us a few high draft picks, because herm is still coaching. higher than what we gave up for back then, a retired vermiel.

with that said, they may have a real true interest in him because of their history but with hardly any chance of actually hiring him because of his contract and draft picks, but he would also complete the interviewing process with a minority.

hmmm.....