PDA

View Full Version : CP hints at Herm

CHIEFSFAN_NY
01-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Jets ring out '05 hangover
Win in finale; changes loom
BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Herm Edwards celebrates with Justin Miller, whose 95-yard kickoff return provides winning TD.

John Abraham wraps up Bills QB Kelly Holcomb in what may be wrap on Jet career.

The only two players who wanted to hold on to the season were Vinny Testaverde and Wayne Chrebet, the soon-to-be retirees. Long after the sparse crowd had left Giants Stadium late yesterday, they returned with their families to an empty field, posing for pictures, exchanging hugs and soaking up the players' life one last time.

At least Testaverde and Chrebet, among the last links to the Jets' 1998 conference finalist team, know what the future holds. Their careers are over and they can begin life after football.

As for the other 62 players on the roster and injured reserve, many will fall into the "here-today-gone-tomorrow" category. A 4-12 season, the Jets' worst since the 1-15 debacle in 1996, will make for a bloody offseason.
"There's a lot of uncertainty right now," acknowledged Herm Edwards, whose Jets closed what he called a "horrific season" with a spirited 30-26 victory over the equally unstable Bills (5-11).

You can put Edwards atop the list of question marks.

Chiefs president Carl Peterson, speaking to reporters yesterday in Kansas City, hinted for the first time he's interested in Edwards as a possible replacement for Dick Vermeil.

As expected, Vermeil announced his retirement after yesterday's win over the Bengals.

Tampering rules prohibited Peterson from commenting directly on Edwards, but he did indicate he'd be willing to explore the coach's availability. To speak with Edwards, Peterson must get permission from the Jets.

Edwards, who has two years remaining on his contract, is expected to huddle with owner Woody Johnson this week. Edwards, who has a 39-41 record and three playoff appearances in five seasons, is believed to be seeking an extension. If he's rebuffed, he could press the Kansas City issue.

According to several players, Edwards hasn't mentioned his future to the team over the last few days. That's in contrast to seven weeks ago, when the Kansas City rumors first surfaced. At the time, he stood before the team on the practice field and guaranteed he'd return to fulfill his contract.

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm back," he said after the game. "So that's where it's at."

Johnson, through a Jets spokesman, declined to comment. GM Terry Bradway will address the media Thursday.

The Jets face an offseason of upheaval. Chad Pennington, he of the twice surgically repaired shoulder, is not a gimme.

They also could lose their two most accomplished defensive players, John Abraham and Ty Law. Abraham, the team's most prominent free agent, bolted the locker room before the media were allowed in.
Was that his farewell statement? It's no secret that Abraham wants a long-term contract, and he could request a trade if he's slapped again with the dreaded franchise tag.

Abraham, who iced the game with a sack/forced fumble with 2:46 remaining, finished with a team-high 10 1/2 sacks. Law had three interceptions, giving him 10, the most by a Jet since Dainard Paulson's 12 in 1964. Too bad Law won't be back; there's no way the Jets will pay an $11 million option bonus. The Jets are expected to be $30 million over the projected salary cap. Prepare the pink slips.

"The waiting game starts," said center Pete Kendall, one of those on the bubble. "When you have a 4-12 year, with all the injuries we had, there are a lot of pieces in motion. This win makes you feel better tonight, but reality starts to set in tomorrow."

The Jets played one of their better games, setting a season-high for points, thanks to a defensive touchdown (Mark Brown's 33-yard interception return) and a special-teams touchdown (Justin Miller's 95-yard kickoff return). Where were those big plays during the season, when the injury-depleted offense needed a boost?

Edwards sugar-coated the victory, saying, "It's 2006, and we got our first win of 2006. You can laugh about that, but it's important for us to point this organization the right way. As I've said many times, it's not a condition. It was just a season."

You know it's a bad year when it includes more quarterbacks in action (five) than victories (four).

Chrebet and Testaverde received standing ovations when they appeared on the JumboTron during the fourth quarter. Afterward, Chrebet sat at his locker, head bowed, too emotional to speak. "Tremendous," he said of the fans' response.

Fittingly, Chrebet and Testaverde were the last two players out of the stadium. The last two to leave a 4-12 disaster.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/379489p-322241c.html

CHIEFSFAN_NY
01-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Chiefs president Carl Peterson, speaking to reporters Sunday at Kansas City, issued a not-so-subtle hint he's interested in Edwards as a possible replacement for Dick Vermeil when, as expected, Vermeil announced his retirement after Sunday's win over the Bengals.

"I can't contact the Jets because he's under contract; that's against our [league] tampering rules," Peterson said. "If the Jets call me, obviously, I'd talk to them."

Edwards, with two years remaining on his contract, is expected to huddle with owner Woody Johnson, and said after the game "As far as I'm concerned, I'm back."

Regardless, the Jets face an offseason of upheavel.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-jet...ports-headlines (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-jets02jan02,0,5266933.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines)

chiefsfaninNC
01-02-2006, 11:48 AM
What the hell would he talk to them about?

acasas4
01-02-2006, 11:51 AM
NO CARL:shake:

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 11:54 AM
if he really did "hint" at wanting edwards we'll be paying another draft pick for tampering.

CHIEFSFAN_NY
01-02-2006, 11:54 AM
What about Kansas City?

With Dick Vermeil retiring, it is believed that the Chiefs are not sold on the prudence of giving up draft-pick compensation for a coach. The Jets could listen to compensation offers from other teams that might be interested in Edwards. Other than defensive end John Abraham, Edwards might be their most coveted commodity.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spjqa024572669jan02,0,2985940.story?coll=ny-football-headlines

Chiefnj
01-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Obviously there has been no tampering because if there was, CP would know that Edwards wants to stay in NYC and is planning on coming back next year.

Per his press conference of 10 minutes ago.

Boozer76
01-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Please for the love of god take him off our hands!! I beg you!!! When you do, you will realize that the guy's greatest strength is getting the local media to feed out of his hand while continuing to completely blow meaningful games on Sunday. He is a great motivator, but he is hands down the worst gameday coach in the NFL. Just make sure you give him Flava' Flave's clock necklace so the guy doesn't forget how much time is left in the game.

Oh and as far as the draft pick rumors, don't worry. If anything we should be giving you guys draft picks for taking this clown off our hands.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Jets Fan

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Obviously there has been no tampering because if there was, CP would know that Edwards wants to stay in NYC and is planning on coming back next year.

Per his press conference of 10 minutes ago.

peterson doesn't have to talk to Edwards to tamper

if he just admits publicly that he wants Edwards ... it's tampering.

mlyonsd
01-02-2006, 12:46 PM
I can't remember how this works....but is there a possibility we'd have to give up draft picks to get Edwards?

If that's the case then I'd say absolutely don't sign him.

58-4ever
01-02-2006, 12:47 PM
PLEASE PLEASE NO HERM!

Chiefnj
01-02-2006, 12:48 PM
I can't remember how this works....but is there a possibility we'd have to give up draft picks to get Edwards?

Edwards just had his post-season press conference. He's talking about next year with the JETS.

mlyonsd
01-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Edwards just had his post-season press conference. He's talking about next year with the JETS.

Definitely doesn't break my heart. I see Edwards as another Marty.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 12:53 PM
if he is still under contract with the jets we would have to give up draft picks.

if we tamper, we'd have to give up picks for Herm and maybe additional picks for tampering.

the only way we don't have to give up picks is if Edwards is fired or activates some kind of out clause (rumor) in his contract.

commenting on another team's player or coach (saying we want) is tampering because it might be considering that coach/player to leave that team if they know they have another job possibility.

Dallas almost go into trouble for commenting about "maybe wanting" Terrell Owens earlier this year.

milkman
01-02-2006, 12:55 PM

Inviting the wrath of Raush!

mlyonsd
01-02-2006, 12:56 PM
if he is still under contract with the jets we would have to give up draft picks.

if we tamper, we'd have to give up picks for Herm and maybe additional picks for tampering.

the only way we don't have to give up picks is if Edwards is fired or activates some kind of out clause (rumor) in his contract.

commenting on another team's player or coach (saying we want) is tampering because it might be considering that coach/player to leave that team if they know they have another job possibility.

Dallas almost go into trouble for commenting about "maybe wanting" Terrell Owens earlier this year.

Thanks.

mlyonsd
01-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Inviting the wrath of Raush!

Bring on the bald headed German.

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Please for the love of god take him off our hands!! I beg you!!! When you do, you will realize that the guy's greatest strength is getting the local media to feed out of his hand while continuing to completely blow meaningful games on Sunday. He is a great motivator, but he is hands down the worst gameday coach in the NFL. Just make sure you give him Flava' Flave's clock necklace so the guy doesn't forget how much time is left in the game.

Oh and as far as the draft pick rumors, don't worry. If anything we should be giving you guys draft picks for taking this clown off our hands.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Jets Fan

No thanks, you can keep Marty Jr.

Chiefnj
01-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Definitely doesn't break my heart. I see Edwards as another Marty.

I welcome it as good news too, except mini-Athan is reporting that Butch Davis is headed to KC to interview.