PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs have pick #20 (official, I think)

jcroft
01-02-2006, 04:19 PM
If I'm reading this correctly...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-draftorder&prov=ap&type=lgns

royr17
01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Here's my first five picks as I see it :

1. Houston Texans - OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson
2. New Orlean Saints - QB Matt Leinart
3. Tennessee Titans - DE Mario Williams
4. New York Jets - RB Reggie Bush
5. Green Bay - OLB A.J. Hawk

|Zach|
01-02-2006, 05:01 PM

:hmmm:

Rain Man
01-02-2006, 05:03 PM

The Texans should've tried harder to win this week so they could get Reggie Bush.

jiveturkey
01-02-2006, 05:04 PM
This AJ Hawk guy looks pretty good.

I agree that Houston should take an OT but I doubt that it will happen. Tenn would be dumb to pass on Bush in your scenario regardless of who that currently have.

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Marcus McNeill should be the BAP at #20 unless the Chargers pick him before KC.

jiveturkey
01-02-2006, 05:11 PM
That's my pick if he's there.

Who we cut may change that though.

nascher
01-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Reggie Bush should be number #1 if Houston doesn't pick him. They will trade the pick to another team if possible.

royr17
01-03-2006, 09:30 AM
The Texans should've tried harder to win this week so they could get Reggie Bush.

Why do the texans need bush when they have a proven running back in dominick davis, what they need is offensive line help.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:23 AM
If the Texans are smart, they'll trade down, take Ferguson and pick up additional help...

Cormac
01-03-2006, 10:31 AM

Marcus McNeill?

Please elaborate.....now is the time to start learning about college players ;)

royr17
01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Marcus McNeill?

Whats wrong with Marcus McNeill ???

htismaqe
Marcus McNeill?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/marcusmcneill.html

Rain Man
I don't know much about any college players yet, but I read about some pass rusher guy with a very odd name (Dumerston? Dumerfield? Something), who had like 8 cajillion sacks and pressures. That's the guy I want. His production was so high in college that it would have to translate to the pros.

royr17
its a toss up on green bay, but its RB DeAngelo Williams or LB A.J. Hawk

nascher
01-03-2006, 10:37 AM
LB tend to drop come draft day the last lb chosen in the TOP 10 was Dan Morgan @9 no way somebody will draft one at 5 or higher. And to get a LT if there is somebody woth beside Brickashaw 20 is maybe too late.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:38 AM
I don't know much about any college players yet, but I read about some pass rusher guy with a very odd name (Dumerston? Dumerfield? Something), who had like 8 cajillion sacks and pressures. That's the guy I want. His production was so high in college that it would have to translate to the pros.Elvis Dumervil. He's the guy who's knee got stomped on by Marcus Vick.

He's a bit too small IMO. Probably more of a situational pass rusher than an every down DE.

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Elvis Dumervil. Count me in his camp at the moment.

http://www.bigeast.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120605aaa.html

LOUISVILLE'S ELVIS DUMERVIL WINS 2005 BRONKO NAGURSKI TROPHY
The National Defensive Player of the Year, Dumervil led the nation with 20 sacks

Louisville senior defensive end Elvis Dumervil has won the 2005 Bronko Nagurski Trophy.

Dec. 6, 2005

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FWAA) - Louisville senior defensive end Elvis Dumervil has won the 2005 Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which annually is awarded to the best defensive player in college football.

Dumervil is the 13th Nagurski Trophy recipient and the first Louisville player to win the award, as voted upon by the Football Writers Association of America All-America committee and sponsored by the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The announcement was made Monday night at the annual awards banquet attended by more than 900 people at the Westin Hotel.

"I am really grateful," Dumervil said after accepting the award. "It is a great deal for me. Coach Petrino (Bobby, Louisville's head coach) is one of the best coaches in America. And I want to thank my teammates, they were there all season and they worked hard. We really sweated together this season."

The award is given in memory of the legendary Bronko Nagurski, a former All-American lineman at Minnesota (1927-29) and star for professional football's Chicago Bears in the 1930s.

Other finalists were Oregon junior defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, Penn State senior defensive end Tamba Hali, Virginia Tech senior defensive back Jimmy Williams and Alabama senior linebacker DeMeco Ryans.

Dumervil won the award after leading the nation with 20 sacks (1.82 per game) for 151 yards in losses. He also led the country in forced fumbles with 10 in 11 games. He was second in the country in tackles for loss with 22 for 165 yards in losses.

Louisville, participating in the Big East Conference for the first time in 2005, compiled a 9-2 record and earned a trip to the Toyota Gator Bowl to face Virginia Tech.

Dumervil registered nine sacks in his first two games of the season against Kentucky and Oregon State and surpassed the old two-game NCAA Division I-A record of eight by Georgia Tech's Pat Swilling. Later, in a 69-14 thumping of North Carolina, Dumervil had three sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception.

"A couple of times, I thought he was offsides," Petrino said of the sacks. "But he was just moving with the ball."

"I sorta used size to my advantage, I could get extra leverage," Dumervil said. "During the season, I knew I was not the proto-typical defensive end. I knew I had to work that much harder, if I wanted to pursue a career at the next level.

The Football Writers Association of America, a non-profit organization founded in 1941, consists of more than 900 men and women across North America who cover college football for a living. The membership includes journalists, broadcasters and publicists, as well as key executives in all the areas that involve the game. The FWAA works to govern areas that include game day operations, major awards, a national poll and its annual All-America team.

The Charlotte Touchdown Club is a non-profit organization founded in 1990 for the purpose of promoting high school, collegiate, and professional football in the Charlotte, N.C. region. The club's activities and services focus community attention on the outstanding citizenship, scholarship, sportsmanship, and leadership of area athletes and coaches. The official website of the Charlotte Touchdown Club is www.touchdownclub.com.

Bronko Nagurski Trophy Winners
1993 Rob Waldorf, Arizona
1994 Warren Sapp, Miami
1995 Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
1996 Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
1997 Charles Woodson, Michigan
1998 Champ Bailey, Georgia
1999 Corey Moore, Virginia Tech
2000 Dan Morgan, Miami
2001 Roy Williams, Oklahoma
2002 Terrell Suggs, Arizona State
2003 Derrick Strait, Oklahoma
2004 Derrick Johnson, Texas
2005 Elvis Dumervil, Louisville

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05268/577385.stm

Louisville's Elvis Dumervil making some records on defense
Sunday, September 25, 2005

By Chris Duncan, The Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- They share a first name and his mother loved them both, but that's about all Louisville defensive end Elvis Dumervil knows he has in common with the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

"Elvis Presley did great over history playing music," said Dumervil. "I'm just a football player."

And these days, it's Louisville's Elvis who's making all the records.

On Sept. 4, a 6-foot, 256-pound Miami native set a single-game school and Big East mark with six sacks in Louisville's opening 31-24 win at Kentucky. He added three more in last week's 63-27 victory against Oregon State, setting an NCAA record with nine sacks in consecutive games.

"I worked hard, extremely hard, over the summer so that I could come out and have a good senior season," he said. "I came in with a lot of confidence and it's just been a great start."

Dumervil leads ninth-ranked Louisville (2-0) with 13 solo tackles and four forced fumbles heading into the Big East opener yesterday at South Florida (2-1). He has been named the league's defensive player of the week twice.

"It's hard to explain how well he's played," said Louisville coach Bobby Petrino. "He just keeps going. I hope he can keep it up."

Petrino said Dumervil has learned how to use his unusually long arms, low center of gravity and quick first step to beat any offensive lineman who stands in his way -- including the ones on his own team.

"In practice, you can hear them saying, 'Oh, no, I've got to block him again,' " Petrino said.

With his fast start, Dumervil has charged up to seventh on Louisville's all-time sacks list. He needs only five more to crack the top five and if he maintains his freakish 4.5-sacks per game average, he'll be the school's all-time leader by November.

"I'm hungry and I'm going to stay hungry. I'm not the kind of guy who gets complacent," he said.

That attitude comes from his upbringing.

Dumervil grew up in a packed house with seven half- or full brothers, all groomed to be football players by a disciplinarian father, Frank Gachelin, a former Marine.

The clan also included Elvis' older brother, former Syracuse linebacker James Dumervil; former Syracuse defensive lineman Louis Gachelin and former Louisville safety Curry Burns.

"Everything was a competition," Dumervil said. "Monopoly, everything. I really never had friends because I had so many brothers. It was a great deal at home. I never had to leave."

Dumervil picked up football in first grade, playing in the street with his brothers and others from dawn to dusk on weekends.

Back then, Dumervil's specialty was catching passes, not pressuring quarterbacks.

"I was the best receiver around the neighborhood," he said.

But he got too big to play wideout and by high school, he was playing linebacker and modeling his game after NFL star Derrick Thomas, another Miami native, who recorded 126.5 sacks in his 11-year pro career.

Thomas died of injuries suffered in a car accident in 2000 and was elected to the Hall of Fame a year later. [Rain Man note: I'll bet you didn't know that.]

Dumervil wears the former Kansas City Chief's No. 58.

"He was the perfect defensive player," Dumervil said. "He played with great energy and attitude."

Now, Petrino is seeing those characteristics in Elvis. He said Dumervil provided the emotional spark when the Cardinals rallied from an early 10-0 deficit against the Beavers.

"He did an excellent job and brought so much energy to our sideline," Petrino said.

"Besides what he did on the field, he really did a good job of leading us on and off the field."

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Elvis Dumervil. He's the guy who's knee got stomped on by Marcus Vick.

He's a bit too small IMO. Probably more of a situational pass rusher than an every down DE.

Given his production in college, I would imagine Dumervil will be considered by a team running a 3-4, ala Merriman and Terrell Suggs...

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Elvis Dumervil. He's the guy who's knee got stomped on by Marcus Vick.

Like I said, I know little about him. But when I see production numbers like that, I become aroused.

The stats show him at 6 feet tall and 250 pounds. Linebacker in a 3-4? Or heck, even just a situational pass rusher would be fine, though not with a 1st round pick if that's the plan.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Given his production in college, I would imagine Dumervil will be considered by a team running a 3-4, ala Merriman and Terrell Suggs...Probably. But I think his height (only 6' I think) will hurt his draft position.

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Like I said, I know little about him. But when I see production numbers like that, I become aroused.

I seriously hope you meant "interested." Otherwise, TMI. :eek:

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Probably. But I think his height (only 6' I think) will hurt his draft position.

I think height is the most overrated attribute in the draft for any position other than perhaps cornerback. While I agree with your statement that it will hurt his draft position, I think the whole emphasis on height is more or less invalid, or at best marginally valid. Freeney, Sam Mills, Barry Sanders, Zach Thomas...the list goes on an on, but GMs and scouts often fixate on a couple of inches that don't really make a difference.

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 11:23 AM
I seriously hope you meant "interested." Otherwise, TMI. :eek:

I love football. I mean, I REALLY love football.

Thig Lyfe
01-03-2006, 11:52 AM
My Assessment...

1. Texans: Reggie Bush. Best player on the board.
2. Saints: Matt Leinart. Brooks is gone. Best QB on the board.
3. Titans: Mario Williams. An explosive DE to complement Vander Bosch.
4. Jets: DeAngelo Williams. The Jets could really use a RB after Curtis Martin retires, which seems likely.
5. Pakers: DeBrickshaw Ferguson. Green Bay better hope he's available, because they need a lot of offensive line help if they want Brett Favre to believe they can win and come back.

Skip Towne
01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
This AJ Hawk guy looks pretty good.

I agree that Houston should take an OT but I doubt that it will happen. Tenn would be dumb to pass on Bush in your scenario regardless of who that currently have.
If you think he looks good you should see his girlfriend.