PDA

View Full Version : 2006--HC Saunders, DC Gun: other Defensive Coaches Gone

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Just throwing this out there... :hmmm:

If CP is intent on Herm, why not wait two years?

With current personnel, IMO we could have another year or two before really having to go into total "rebuilding" mold. So, why not hire Saunders as HC, keep Gun as DC....and fire everyone else on the Defensive coaching side of the ball.

For the short term interests of the team, this seems the best and most logical approach....UNLESS and if Herm, Fisher, or some other really high profile qualified coach is not available. If we end up with a Bob Stoops or Wade Phillips-like HC, I 'm gonna be really depressed.

Thoughts? :shrug:

Hoover
01-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Saunders HC
Dave Wannstadt DC

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Saunders HC
Dave Wannstadt DC

I could live with that too.

Hoover
01-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Wanny is a good DC. Plus he was Surtains DC in Miami so he would know how the f*** to use our best defender.

oaklandhater
01-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Just throwing this out there... :hmmm:

With current personnel, IMO we could have another year or two before really having to go into total "rebuilding" mold.

why delay the inevitable.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Anybody that would keep Gun should stay the hell away from KC...

And your scenario will never play out. Lamar has already said they want a long-term solution.

oaklandhater
01-03-2006, 09:27 AM
kudous to hitsmage

Hoover
01-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I have decieded that I want Saunders.

I think Saunders would hire a solid coaching staff, and I don't think Gun or anyother defensive coach would be kept. Al will want to win, why carry the dead weight?

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 09:29 AM
I just don't understand the Gun thing. We have wasted back-to-back years having the #1 offense, because our D has been #32 and #28 in yards per play. Why on earth do we risk yet another wasted year?

Gun has had his chance. He failed. Time to move on.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:53 AM

Because we COULD make some noise next year, with a continuing improvement in the Defense. Within two-three years though, we'll be needing to seriously begin revamping the Offense.

Either we go for it NOW; or we're looking at a 3-5 year rebuilding project. JMHO.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:21 AM
I just don't understand the Gun thing. We have wasted back-to-back years having the #1 offense, because our D has been #32 and #28 in yards per play. Why on earth do we risk yet another wasted year?

Gun has had his chance. He failed. Time to move on.

NFL.COM has us 25th is "D" and while that's disappointing, I think Gun has got us going the right direction....

I wouldn't be too disappointed though, if we replace him--as long as it's someone who knows what they are doing.

ChiTown
01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Anybody that would keep Gun should stay the hell away from KC...

And your scenario will never play out. Lamar has already said they want a long-term solution.

Gun is just a reminder of our failed past (for recent history, look at the Dallas and especially NYG games as a reminder).

Totally agree, he needs to exit, stage left. Sure, at home, in the last two games the D looked great. However, when we needed a stand on the road (whie we had our destiny in our own hands), they looked like wilting flowers on a hot Summer day. No FN thank you.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:28 AM
NFL.COM has us 25th is "D" and while that's disappointing, I think Gun has got us going the right direction....

I wouldn't be too disappointed though, if we replace him--as long as it's someone who knows what they are doing.

How long do we have to be "going in the right direction" before we realize we'll never arrive if we're stuck here spinning our wheels?

SLAG
01-03-2006, 10:41 AM
How long do we have to be "going in the right direction" before we realize we'll never arrive if we're stuck here spinning our wheels?

We have 4:11 Posi

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:45 AM

I know you disagree, but I'm convinced it's the postion coaches on Defense which have been the major source of our problems.

They should have all been fired along with Greg Robinson. In fairness, Gun's hands have been kind of tied in my mind. Of course, Gun was stupid to become DC without control over hiring his own coaches.

DaWolf
01-03-2006, 10:49 AM

Carl might see that this team is knocking on the door right now, and he may see Herm Edwards as his Jon Gruden, a guy who can come in and take over an explosive team offensively and put something back in the defense and take us all the way now. That's probably why Carl isn't looking for a two year fix. He wants that trophy today. So do I...

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Carl might see that this team is knocking on the door right now, and he may see Herm Edwards as his Jon Gruden, a guy who can come in and take over an explosive team offensively and put something back in the defense and take us all the way now. That's probably why Carl isn't looking for a two year fix. He wants that trophy today. So do I...

That's a reasonable take. I'm just not sure the Jets are gonna let him go, for a reasonable "price".... :(

HemiEd
01-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Yes to Saunders but I have had all the Gun I can stand and more.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Saunders HC
Dave Wannstadt DC

i'll take it

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 11:38 AM

because it won't cost us draft picks and this offense has another year or 2 in it.

Chief Henry
01-03-2006, 11:52 AM
I know you disagree, but I'm convinced it's the postion coaches on Defense which have been the major source of our problems.

They should have all been fired along with Greg Robinson. In fairness, Gun's hands have been kind of tied in my mind. Of course, Gun was stupid to become DC without control over hiring his own coaches.

Zactly...

HC_Chief
01-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I like it.

If CP has his mind set on Herm, and Herm is locked up for the next 2 seasons in NY, then give AS a chance. Worst that can happen is we don't make the playoffs. ;)

milkman
01-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Al as HC is acceptable.

But Gun has got to go.

I don't understand this love affair for Gun.

He has never been a great DC.

Never.

Gun, at his best, has been inconsistent.

His inconsistency is the only thing consistent about him, including his personality.

I'll take Dom Capers as DC.

Danush
01-03-2006, 01:15 PM
....I'll take Dom Capers as DC.

I'll pass.

sedated
01-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Saunders and Gun hates eachother.

Saunders took the WR coach job in STL rather than be Gun's O-coordinator.

I think Saunders is the right coach, Solari as O-coordinator, and have him choose a D-coordinator.

Saunders is the only chance we have next year. (and Fisher)

sedated
01-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Wannstedt?

F*ck that guy. He really ruined PITT this year, and has been a disaster as a HC.

Whose to say his success as a DC isn't because of the HC's he's worked for? or pure talent?

CoMoChief
01-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Saunders HC
Dave Wannstadt DC

as much as they sucked this season, Wanny will not leave Pitt.

milkman
01-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Saunders and Gun hates eachother.

Saunders took the WR coach job in STL rather than be Gun's O-coordinator.

I think Saunders is the right coach, Solari as O-coordinator, and have him choose a D-coordinator.

Saunders is the only chance we have next year. (and Fisher)

I ask, for like the 100th time.

Did Sauders leave because he didn't want to work for Gun?
Or was it because he got passed over for the HC job, after having already being passed over for the OC job when Marty promoted Jimmy Raye.

Al's career was stagnating in KC.

InChiefsHeaven
01-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Al as HC is acceptable.

But Gun has got to go.

I don't understand this love affair for Gun.

He has never been a great DC.

Never.

Were you saying that in the '90's when the D was stupid good under Gunther? Just curious...

...regardless, that's the reason for the love affair with Gun. He's been successfull in the past...

unlurking
01-03-2006, 02:38 PM
I ask, for like the 100th time.

Did Sauders leave because he didn't want to work for Gun?
Or was it because he got passed over for the HC job, after having already being passed over for the OC job when Marty promoted Jimmy Raye.

Al's career was stagnating in KC.
That's what I had always assumed. I think AS has had problems with CP, not Gun.

milkman
01-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Were you saying that in the '90's when the D was stupid good under Gunther? Just curious...

...regardless, that's the reason for the love affair with Gun. He's been successfull in the past...

During the 90s, the Chiefs D under Gun was outstanding one season, and average the next, followed by an outstanding season, which then was followed by another average season.

Gun has always lacked consistency.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 02:44 PM

He wasn't successful in the past, he was inconsistent.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kanindex.htm

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 03:14 PM
He wasn't successful in the past, he was inconsistent.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kanindex.htm

As much as I've liked Gunther over the years, he has been consistently inconsistent.

oaklandhater
01-03-2006, 05:37 PM
because it won't cost us draft picks and this offense has another year or 2 in it.

I dont want to spend draft picks either. But I still think this team is the same team we saw in 2003 but older.