PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton: Al Saunders leading candidate in KC

FloridaMan88
01-03-2006, 05:12 PM
According to Clayton on ESPN the interview with Saunders went well yesterday and he thinks Saunders will end up being the Chiefs next HC.

KCFalcon59
01-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Jaws said that KC is the number one job to have.

the Talking Can
01-03-2006, 05:14 PM
whew..good news

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Hallelujah. :clap:

:hmmm:

Now, if only Kurt Schottenheimer is available to be DC.

:p

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Great. Maybe the rumors were confused -- maybe Millen is interesting in Gun as HC instead.

nychief
01-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Clayton is always right on with these things. He is the leading candidate after one interview....

I STILL say herm is going to be here.

chiefqueen
01-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Also, Brian Schottenheimer's been a QB coach long enough time to promote him to OC.

chiefqueen
01-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Great. Maybe the rumors were confused -- maybe Millen is interesting in Gun as HC instead.

Is Millen still employed?

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 05:21 PM

You're a dead man.

BigChiefFan
01-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Jaws said that KC is the number one job to have.
I agree with Jaws. Inheriting a 10-6 team is almost unheard of.

Imon Yourside
01-03-2006, 05:22 PM

Die, don't pass go just Die! :cuss:

K Schott. would be ok as the ball boy but nothing else.

nychief
01-03-2006, 05:23 PM
also, A.S. would not be a "long term" solution - he is 58 years old. I would not freak out if he is hired - but I would like to see CP take his time with interviews.

CoMoChief
01-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Anyword on Bob Stupid?

nychief
01-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Anyword on Bob Stupid?

he has been hired as coach of the chiefs.

chiefqueen
also, A.S. would not be a "long term" solution - he is 58 years old. I would not freak out if he is hired - but I would like to see CP take his time with interviews.

CP probably won't be here much more than a couple of years himself - he turns 65 this year.

Mr. Kotter
Anyword on Bob Stupid?

Carl thought he had a "purdy mouth."

Mecca
01-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Anyword on Bob Stupid?

I heard he's busy trying to get Keitzman off his crotch.

CoMoChief
01-03-2006, 05:30 PM

No one is considered a long term solution unless they win, which is what Marty did. You win you stay, you lose go away.

HC_Chief
01-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Clayton is always right on with these things. He is the leading candidate after one interview....

LOL

oaklandhater
01-03-2006, 05:40 PM
well nothing look foward to next year :(

sedated
01-03-2006, 05:47 PM
also, A.S. would not be a "long term" solution - he is 58 years old.

who is a long-term solution in the NFL?

the average HC job only lasts around 3 or 4 years.

nychief
01-03-2006, 05:48 PM
who is a long-term solution in the NFL?

the average HC job only lasts around 3 or 4 years.

true. I was just going off of Lamar's comments from sunday.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 05:51 PM

My sources tell me that Mike Stock was spotted at Arrowhead.

58-4ever
01-03-2006, 05:54 PM
This might be the key to getting guys like Roaf back, and maybe even Shields. They want a guy who knows their history. Plus, Al might have finally figured out how to use LJ.

Skip Towne
01-03-2006, 06:11 PM
My sources tell me that Mike Stock was spotted at Arrowhead.
You have sources now? Everybody has sources. That does it. I'm getting sources.

C-Mac
01-03-2006, 06:23 PM
You have sources now? Everybody has sources. That does it. I'm getting sources.

www.getyoursources.com

www.sourcesmart.com

splatbass
01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
I agree with Jaws. Inheriting a 10-6 team is almost unheard of.

Yup, especially when our competition is Houston, Detroit, Green Bay (probably without Favre) and Minnesota. I think we will get the first choice. Unfortunately CP will probably blow it on Edwards.

mcan
01-03-2006, 08:00 PM
This might be the key to getting guys like Roaf back, and maybe even Shields. They want a guy who knows their history. Plus, Al might have finally figured out how to use LJ.

I can put up with a lot of nonesense... But THIS is rediculous. Do you think for even a second that Al Saunders MISSUSED this guy after he put up the numbers that did?

Now, I can see an argument for making him the starter at the beginning of the season. But in order to do that, you'ld have to put an UNPROVEN back in and sit down a guy who is coming off of MVP like seasons. Imagine if he had declared Larry the starter in week 2 and Larry had a poor game... You'ld be screaming bloody murder about pulling Priest (the greatest player in Chiefs history is sitting on the bench... yadda... yadda... yadda...)

Doesn't it seem more likely that Larry got BETTER while practicing during the year and taking every third series? The by EASING him into the offense we allowed him to learn everything he could and be successful? Doesn't it just seem logical that the PROFESSIONAL offensive coordinator and head coach that have been in the top 5 offenses in the league every year that they've been here would know a little something about when to use a running back... At least a bit more than you or I would?...

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Al Saunders wanted Tony Richardson and Priest Holmes to split carries in 2001.

'nuff said.

jidar
01-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Doesn't it just seem logical that the PROFESSIONAL offensive coordinator and head coach that have been in the top 5 offenses in the league every year that they've been here would know a little something about when to use a running back... At least a bit more than you or I would?...

This is the exactly argument I've made time and time again. Everytime someone on here bitches about AS playcallings or whatnot I just shake my head. What kind of performance it would take for the Internet Geniuses not to harp on the playcalling of their football team? It's so predictable and pathetic.

jidar
01-03-2006, 08:09 PM

'nuff said.

Plenty more to be said, a lot of it being nasty shit about your reasoning.

Adept Havelock
01-03-2006, 08:11 PM

'nuff said.

So what? Before 2001 the popular meme was that Priest was just a 3rd down/short yard back.

Little did we know......

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 08:12 PM

'nuff said.

Al Saunders has misused so many players so often that all he has done is lead the NFL in touchdowns and yardage the last five years.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Guys, I'm just saying Al is overrated. There are plenty of examples why. That's one of them.

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Doesn't it just seem logical that the PROFESSIONAL offensive coordinator and head coach that have been in the top 5 offenses in the league every year that they've been here would know a little something about when to use a running back... At least a bit more than you or I would?...

Bah. This is a football BBS, that's what we do. If you've EVER offered an opinion on a coach, player or front office person here, you're just as guilty. And if you haven't, WTF are you doing here? :p

44Grimmace
01-03-2006, 08:15 PM
well, CP said this is his last extension so he's outta here by like.. 09. the countdown begins!

al saunders playcalling for the first 14 weeks of the season was so predictable that i could call it almost. the last 2 weeks he did a much better job of it.

some of us hate al, but he HAS had pretty much the #1 offense the last 4 years, and detroit/minnesota would love to have him, no matter what we say.

mcan
01-03-2006, 08:18 PM

'nuff said.

Yeah, maybe before training camp...

It became clear later that Priest was a better runner and Tony a better lead blocker. Why would you assume that, before he had even seen these guys on the field, he would want to take the ball out of the hands of the Chiefs leading rusher the year before? He wouldn't just DO that based on a whim or a fancy or a feeling that he had. Players have to PROVE that they are good before they are handed a starting job.

But I'm sure that you knew as soon as we signed him that Priest was gonna put up MVP numbers... Didn't you... Go ahead... Admit it... Don't be humble... You are clearly awesome, and Al Saunders (you know, that guy that set all those records over the last few years) is clearly a lamebrain because of what he said that one time five years ago before the Chiefs had even taken a snap in the regular season...

jidar
01-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Guys, I'm just saying Al is overrated. There are plenty of examples why. That's one of them.

I hear you and Charlie Weiss disagrees:

"Al Saunders is the best offensive mind in the NFL" -- Charlie Weiss

sedated
01-03-2006, 08:19 PM
I believe that was King Carl that wanted Priest to sit and have TRich be the feature back.

redbrian
01-03-2006, 08:19 PM

Now if LJ can just learn to block and catch a pass.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 08:20 PM
I hear you and Charlie Weiss disagrees:

"Al Saunders is the best offensive mind in the NFL" -- Charlie Weiss

I was really impressed when Al pretended Jordan Black was Willie Roaf.

sedated
01-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Go ahead... Admit it... Don't be humble... You are clearly awesome, and Al Saunders (you know, that guy that set all those records over the last few years) is clearly a lamebrain because of what he said that one time five years ago before the Chiefs had even taken a snap in the regular season...

:bravo:

mcan
01-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Bah. This is a football BBS, that's what we do. If you've EVER offered an opinion on a coach, player or front office person here, you're just as guilty. And if you haven't, WTF are you doing here? :p

I offer up my opinion all the time, you're right. So, perhaps I'm a bit out of line. Allow me to re-phrase my position:

Gochiefs, you're being a moron! Not because you are STATING your opinion. But because your specific opinion is STUPID...

There... That better?

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
well, CP said this is his last extension so he's outta here by like.. 09. the countdown begins!

al saunders playcalling for the first 14 weeks of the season was so predictable that i could call it almost. the last 2 weeks he did a much better job of it.

some of us hate al, but he HAS had pretty much the #1 offense the last 4 years, and detroit/minnesota would love to have him, no matter what we say.

So predictable that it lead the league in total offense. Do you guys ever watch any NFL games other than the Chiefs? The Chiefs have the most dynamic offense in the league.

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I offer up my opinion all the time, you're right. So, perhaps I'm a bit out of line. Allow me to re-phrase my position:

Gochiefs, you're being a moron! Not because you are STATING your opinion. But because your specific opinion is STUPID...

There... That better?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ROFL

jidar
01-03-2006, 08:23 PM

Now you're just being stupid.

Logical
01-03-2006, 08:24 PM
CP probably won't be here much more than a couple of years himself - he turns 65 this year.:grovel:

44Grimmace
01-03-2006, 08:24 PM
So predictable that it lead the league in total offense. Do you guys ever watch any NFL games other than the Chiefs? The Chiefs have the most dynamic offense in the league.

predictable enough that buffalo was able to keep us out of the endzone.

mcan
01-03-2006, 08:25 PM

Nope, they weren't pretending. No wonder you hate Al Saunders so much... Somebody told you that Al Saunders was sitting Willie Roaf in favor of Jordan Black! OH DUDE, NO... Willie Roaf actually had a hamstring problem and he couldn't play due to injury, so we had our backup go in, who was considerably less talented, and much younger. So dude, it's just a misunderstanding... I see.

Yeah, man. For a second there I thought you were just stupid... :rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah, maybe before training camp...

Nope. It took the Chiefs THREE GAMES INTO THE REGULAR SEASON to figure it out.

FringeNC

The only game we really sucked was at Buffalo, and that is not because we couldn't move the ball, but because Trent couldn't throw balls to the right uniform in a 50mph wind.

We were dominant with Black against Houston.

Black really sucked, and I thought Saunders did an outstanding job scheming to hide his weakness.

siberian khatru

This is a point I've made a few times in the past, about once every year:

We scrutinize Chiefs football. We break down and debate every play. We know (or think we know) every mistake made by every player and coach.

We don't have the same knowledge of every other team in league. Thus, we are intimitely familiar with our flawed guys, but we don't see the flaws in other teams' personnel. It's kind of a grass-is-always-greener philosophy.

Al Saunders makes mistakes. They are legit fodder for criticism. I'm not prepared, though, to argue that there are several OC's around the league who make far fewer mistakes. I think think the aggregate offensive stats over multiple seasons speak well of Al as an OC and strongly suggest his flaws are not extraordinary or crippling.

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Nope, they weren't pretending. No wonder you hate Al Saunders so much... Somebody told you that Al Saunders was sitting Willie Roaf in favor of Jordan Black! OH DUDE, NO... Willie Roaf actually had a hamstring problem and he couldn't play due to injury, so we had our backup go in, who was considerably less talented, and much younger. So dude, it's just a misunderstanding... I see.

Never let logic get in the way of a compelling arguement my man.....

:)

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 08:28 PM

Dude, when Black was in they acted like he was Willie Roaf.

They continued to call 7-step drops.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 08:30 PM

There... That better?

My opinion is based on FACTS, jackass.

The Chiefs took three games to figure out Priest Holmes didn't need to be splitting carries with anyone. That is a FACT.

The Chiefs continued to attempt wide-open offense with a shit left tackle. That is a FACT.

The Chiefs let Larry Johnson rot on the bench. That is a FACT.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 08:32 PM
And again, I don't hate Al Saunders. I think he's a good offensive coordinator. I wish he could stay. I just think he's overrated, that's all.

Just like Gunther was overrated as a defensive coordinator.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
This is a point I've made a few times in the past, about once every year:

We scrutinize Chiefs football. We break down and debate every play. We know (or think we know) every mistake made by every player and coach.

We don't have the same knowledge of every other team in league. Thus, we are intimitely familiar with our flawed guys, but we don't see the flaws in other teams' personnel. It's kind of a grass-is-always-greener philosophy.

Al Saunders makes mistakes. They are legit fodder for criticism. I'm not prepared, though, to argue that there are several OC's around the league who make far fewer mistakes. I think think the aggregate offensive stats over multiple seasons speak well of Al as an OC and strongly suggest his flaws are not extraordinary or crippling.

Yeah, and it's only on O. Al is crucified and Gun is given a free-ride. I think KCJOhnny is the caricature of a view that many on here feel.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Al is crucified and Gun is given a free-ride.

Not from me. And anyone who does that is retarded.

Al is a fine offensive coordinator. Gunther is average at best.

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah, and it's only on O. Al is crucified and Gun is given a free-ride. I think KCJOhnny is the caricature of a view that many on here feel.

Al is supposed to be perfect, but Gun, by God, if he could just get rid of Peter Giunta and Bob Karmelowicz, those anchors on his brilliance ...

stevieray
01-03-2006, 08:38 PM

The Chiefs took three games to figure out Priest Holmes didn't need to be splitting carries with anyone. That is a FACT.

The Chiefs continued to attempt wide-open offense with a shit left tackle. That is a FACT.

Fact...injury decided that. Most everyone was happy with the 1-2 punch.

Fact...That's why they kept TG in to block.

Fact....Larry Johnson was one play from being the starter, despite the fact that he needed to improve on his pass blocking.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Al is supposed to be perfect, but Gun, by God, if he could just get rid of Peter Giunta and Bob Karmelowicz, those anchors on his brilliance ...

Yeah, it's probably like that most places because it's easier to identify bad play-calling on O than it is D, but still.....

On second thought, Robinson was crucified, too. Maybe it's the yellow sunglasses. I dunno.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Not from me. And anyone who does that is retarded.

Al is a fine offensive coordinator. Gunther is average at best.

Yeah, you're on the right side of all the Gun debates, but your love of LJ clouds your judgement about Al.

redbrian
01-03-2006, 08:40 PM

With such a depth of knowledge and a keen analytical football mind I’m surprised that you’re not like running a major football program, I mean like wow your use of facts is just awe-inspiring.

stevieray
01-03-2006, 08:41 PM
With such a depth of knowledge and a keen analytical football mind I’m surprised that you’re not like running a major football program, I mean like wow your use of facts is just awe-inspiring.

Fact...some here know more than the pros, even they will never even sniff a coaching job on any level other than HS.

tk13
01-03-2006, 08:44 PM
The problem we have here is that we take a mistake and we plaster it all over the place and use it to wipe out anything good a said individual has accomplished.

There is no such thing as a perfect head coach. You are not going to find a guy who's going to come in and be perfect. That's what people are looking for. Let me kill the suspense, he doesn't exist. Whoever we hire is going to make mistakes, and we're going to pick them apart, and if the guy does not win a Super Bowl we will crucify him right here on this board. Haven't even hired the guy yet, but I can tell you how it's going to go down.

Bill Belichick, as great as he is, he's made mistakes. He has done things we could sit here and pick apart to the finest detail like we did Al Saunders until we were convinced he was not a good coach.

Heck, half the reason Bill is where he is today, is because his starting QB got hurt and he had no choice but to put in a 6th round draft pick. The rest is history. But you don't hear people calling him a bad coach like you would Al because it took him 3 games to really give Priest the load, or 3 games to give LJ the load. This is NFL, where coaches are generally conservative and set in their ways, and they all make mistakes. So taking one thing here and there and beating somebody into the ground is not the way to do it, you have to look at the whole body of work, the whole resume, and decide who the best guy is. Otherwise, every coach in the NFL sucks.

stevieray
01-03-2006, 08:51 PM
. Haven't even hired the guy yet, but I can tell you how it's going to go down.

I think that's why so many are making claims of who should be here, or who should go.

that way they can always a have a core reason to castigate in the future.

It's ironic when you think about it...they are so disappointed, yet to be disappointed you had to believe the potential was there to begin with.

redbrian
01-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Fact...some here know more than the pros, even they will never even sniff a coaching job on any level other than HS.

oh man that made me laugh, until you have put theory to practice in the majors it’s all hot air, we have plenty of talent here who could very easily compete with the talking heads on local radio I’ll grant you, but you have to remember this is the group who proclaimed Dante Hall a bust, Trent Green a heartless injury prone qb and of course LJ is no good because of the school he came from.

stevieray
01-03-2006, 08:57 PM
oh man that made me laugh, until you have put theory to practice in the majors it’s all hot air, we have plenty of talent here who could very easily compete with the talking heads on local radio I’ll grant you, but you have to remember this is the group who proclaimed Dante Hall a bust, Trent Green a heartless injury prone qb and of course LJ is no good because of the school he came from.

Don't forget to throw Priest and Tony under the bus.

Halfcan
01-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I thought my interview with Carl, went well also. Why does'nt he mention me in his article?

mcan
01-03-2006, 09:03 PM
The Chiefs took three games to figure out Priest Holmes didn't need to be splitting carries with anyone. That is a FACT..

No, it took TWO games. And here's why.

Game one: Richardson had 6 carries for 3 yards, and we should have beat the Raiders but we let a damn kick return get past the 50 with just a few second left, and they kicked the game winner at the buzzer. Both runners ran like sh!t that day (Priest 7 carries for 21 yards), but Trent was a leader on the field and showed a lot of poise scrambling for a key 4th down conversion and hitting Snoop Minnis for a 30 yard touchdown to tie the game with just a few seconds left. Al Saunders called a great two minute drill and even with mediocre talent and a brand new everything, we still almost beat a legit Superbowl contender in the Raiders.

Game two: In a game that was completely overshadowed by 9-11, again Priest didn't run very well in his opportunities. He had 8 carries for just 30 yards and the team looked flat against a very emotional and stout Giants run defense. We only ran for 88 total yards, but Tony Richardson got half of those on just 9 carries. But being down 13-0 at halftime didn't help us run any better because we had to pass to catch up.

Game three: Hard to critisize Al Saunders for this game. We only put up 45 points and demolished the Redskins and yes, Richardson got some carries but Priest (since he was having a monster day) got 2/3 of the workload (23 carries for 147 yards and 2 TDs), while Richardson mostly got goal line work. (11 carries for 30 yards and the games first TD).

Did you want the Chiefs to abandon their offense and rely on their DEFENSE for half the season? Imagine how much you would have booed the first time they would have run a draw play on third and 7 to "protect" Jordan Black.

The Chiefs let Larry Johnson rot on the bench. That is a FACT

This is VERY MUCH not a fact. The Chiefs had Larry Johnson carrying the ball every third drive to help him mature and gain momentum, and to help our OTHER FANTASTIC BACK get some breathers. Basically, what you're saying is "we shouldn't have ever given the ball to Priest Holmes" and I think anybody with a brain realizes that is a stupid idea...

redbrian
01-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Don't forget to throw Priest and Tony under the bus.

ROFL

Very few players or coaches escape the critical eye of the planet;

Hell I proclaimed Mitchell to dumb to catch on at MLB, although in my defense I have never claimed to be a football mastermind, in fact all they would let me do on my sons flag football team was to shag balls, and they had a 12 year old supervise me on that job.

alanm
01-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Black playing LT would be Solari's and Vermeils call. Saunders would have some input but not much. So in essense you're wrong here as well.

Logical
01-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah, and it's only on O. Al is crucified and Gun is given a free-ride. I think KCJOhnny is the caricature of a view that many on here feel.Have you been paying attention, most people want Gun replaced, I have not seen one single person who believes Al should be replaced they just don't want him as HC. Far more people want Al as HC than Gun. Only person on this BB that I have seen say Gun is OK as a HC to replace DV is Rausch.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Have you been paying attention, most people want Gun replaced, I have not seen one single person who believes Al should be replaced they just don't want him as HC. Far more people want Al as HC than Gun. Only person on this BB that I have seen say Gun is OK as a HC to replace DV is Rausch.

The poll awhile back had Gunther running at 60% wanting him to return.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 09:10 PM
No, it took TWO games.

They figured it out BY the third game. That is what I meant, and my point still stands.

Did you want the Chiefs to abandon their offense and rely on their DEFENSE for half the season?

It's interesting that you bring that up. If the offense had executed at a competent level against Buffalo WE'D BE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

This is VERY MUCH not a fact. The Chiefs had Larry Johnson carrying the ball every third drive to help him mature and gain momentum, and to help our OTHER FANTASTIC BACK get some breathers. Basically, what you're saying is "we shouldn't have ever given the ball to Priest Holmes" and I think anybody with a brain realizes that is a stupid idea...

ROFL

And you've missed the point AGAIN.

There was NO EXCUSE for Larry having 21 total touches in his first 23 games of his career. He was used fine this year.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Black playing LT would be Solari's and Vermeils call. Saunders would have some input but not much. So in essense you're wrong here as well.

No, I'm not. I didn't criticize Al for having Black in the starting lineup.

I criticized him for calling plays like Black was a good left tackle.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 09:12 PM
The poll awhile back had Gunther running at 60% wanting him to return.

It's quite sad.

Halfcan
01-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Why don't you like Blacks?

Logical
01-03-2006, 09:14 PM
The poll awhile back had Gunther running at 60% wanting him to return.There has been no poll asking whether people want Al back as Offensive Coordinator. I am pretty sure it would be much higher than that. No one talks about it because we all pretty much realize he will be a HC somewhere.

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Why don't you like Blacks?

I have many black friends!

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 09:22 PM
There has been no poll asking whether people want Al back as Offensive Coordinator. I am pretty sure it would be much higher than that. No one talks about it because we all pretty much realize he will be a HC somewhere.

There is a lot of Saunders bashing on here, especially second guessing of play-calls.

redbrian
01-03-2006, 09:24 PM
There was NO EXCUSE for Larry having 21 total touches in his first 23 games of his career. He was used fine this year.

Except when he was supposed to block players from hitting his qb, causing fumbles, which lead to td's.

stevieray
01-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Except when he was supposed to block players from hitting his qb, causing fumbles, which lead to td's.

He would've double bagged it.

Logical
01-03-2006, 09:29 PM
There is a lot of Saunders bashing on here, especially second guessing of play-calls.I would say there is just as much Gun bashing, especially when it comes to his horrid schemes and misuse of DJ, Surtain and not getting anything out of Bell.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 09:34 PM
I would say there is just as much Gun bashing, especially when it comes to his horrid schemes and misuse of DJ, Surtain and not getting anything out of Bell.

Oh, there is more Gun bashing, no doubt. Saunders has had the #1 offense over the last two years, and Gun has had the #32 defense. I'd hope there'd be more Gun bashing. I guess my point is that the fact that Al leads the #1 offense and Gun leads the #32 D just hasn't sunk in.

mcan
01-03-2006, 09:34 PM
They figured it out BY the third game. That is what I meant, and my point still stands.

It's interesting that you bring that up. If the offense had executed at a competent level against Buffalo WE'D BE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

And you've missed the point AGAIN.

1. The fact that Priest wasn't the primary ball carrier was because he hadn't shown that he could do those things yet. When he showed us, he became the primary ball carrier. It sounds like you're saying that Al is at fault here becuase he wasn't psychic enough to know what Priest was going to do... Sorry. If you're looking for a new psychic head coach, I hear John Edwards is looking for work...

2. You're right about Buffalo and the playoffs. But show me ANY football team, throughout all of time that hasn't had a bad day on offense at least once in awhile... And by the way we were talking about Jordan Black, so I didn't miss the point here. You've just avoided the point and brought up something entirely different, and then accused me of missing the point because I wasn't psychic enough to realize that you were going to change the subject. Again, if you want a BB full of psychics to talk to, here's a link:

Global Psychics Message Board (http://www.globalpsychics.com)

3. No excuse huh?... Well, I respectfully disagree. Dick Vermeil made it clear that Larry wasn't using his practice time to become more proficient in this offense, and they were worried that putting him in the ballgame would get Trent killed, and he wouldn't be in the right place at the right time. In fact, when Priest went down in years prior we couldn't even put him in over Blaylock. Then during the Falcons game, Blaylock AND Priest got hurt. So we scraped 3/4 of our playbook in order to accomidate the guy who was yelling at the media that he wasn't getting enough playing time. That's when Dick made his "diaper" comment. He was frustrated that Larry wasn't getting it done in practice. Nobody ever doubted his running ability.

But you know what. Larry is just a guy in his early twenties who has always been able to get by on talent alone. Then he got in trouble with the law and the media and the fans and the coach. It probably sunk in with him that he was gonna have to grow up, and that life had consequences. Once he decided to mature. He got his shot, and flourished.

If we had given him his shot earlier. I believe (and I've asked the guys over at the psychic board to corroborate this) that he would have failed miserably, and we'd be talking about Larry Johnson, the BUST. Just another one of the failed 1st round draft picks...

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I have many black friends!

Darth Vader doesn't count.......

mcan
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Darth Vader doesn't count.......

ROFL

That's great...

Hammock Parties
01-03-2006, 09:44 PM
1. It sounds like you're saying that Al is at fault here becuase he wasn't psychic enough to know what Priest was going to do...

Dude. TONY RICHARDSON vs PRIEST HOLMES?

The difference should have been clear in OTAs and preseason.

2. You've just avoided the point and brought up something entirely different

What? My point is that Saunders should have been able to compensate for Black's inept play. Instead he continued to call 7-step drops. There's no way around this.

3. No excuse huh?... Well, I respectfully disagree. Dick Vermeil made it clear that Larry wasn't using his practice time to become more proficient in this offense, and they were worried that putting him in the ballgame would get Trent killed.

I could care less about his blocking. Hand him the ball. He doesn't have to block anyone when the ball is in his hands.

Zero excuse for that amount of touches in 23 games. And the fact that he was splitting time with Derrick Blaylock was a joke.

Logical
01-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Oh, there is more Gun bashing, no doubt. Saunders has had the #1 offense over the last two years, and Gun has had the #32 defense. I'd hope there'd be more Gun bashing. I guess my point is that the fact that Al leads the #1 offense and Gun leads the #32 D just hasn't sunk in.Well since my all consuming desire is to see Gun and his staff replaced I might have missed it.ROFL