PDA

View Full Version : Gruden Rule

synthesis2
01-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Just an FYI after Gruden was traded from Oakland to Tampa for all of those draft picks, the NFL implimented a policy that says you can't trade draft picks for a coach, so we will not have to give up picks, just money..

nychief
01-03-2006, 09:23 PM
no you are wrong - check the million other ****ing threads on the subject.

Kylo Ren
01-03-2006, 09:27 PM
I keep hearing on the radio that it'll cost us some draft picks. I would really like to know if this is true or not.

synthesis2
01-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Here is how it reads..

Thursday, January 16, 2003
Moratorium may have future as NFL rule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- The NFL barred teams from trading draft picks for the right to sign a coach, the type of swap that allowed the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to get Jon Gruden.

The new policy was announced in a memo to all 32 teams by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, league spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday.

The NFL's competition committee was worried that such trades might be undermining the purpose of the draft.

That committee's co-chairman is Bucs general manager Rich McKay, who sent two first-round picks and two second-round picks, plus $8 million, to Oakland for the right to negotiate with Gruden. At the time, Gruden had a year left on his contract with the Raiders.

FAX
01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
I keep hearing on the radio that it'll cost us some draft picks. I would really like to know if this is true or not.

My sources are utterly confounded and nearly senseless, Mr. Gunther_Fan. However, I can report that they are either mouthing the word "true" or attempting with difficulty to expectorate a raspberry jolly rancher.

FAX

JBucc
01-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm starting to believe the only person who really knows this is Tags

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Here you go....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2939259

synthesis2
01-03-2006, 09:50 PM
The rule states that a HC cannot be traded to another team with draft picks.. can you think of any HC's that have been traded to another team after Gruden for draft picks??? No because you can't do it..

Big Chief Homer
01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
no,the rule you posted from 2003 refers to assistant coaches.Assistant coaches and coordinators are not allowed to be traded for draft picks per NFL policy.They have to be given a promotion if still under contract.

Because there is no salary cap on coaches or staff,GMs and Hcs are exempt from this policy.Draft picks can be given as compensation,but it has to be approved by the commish,after the two teams come to an agreement on the amount of compensation.

Dont know the what the salary cap has to do with it but thats the way it was explained on Sirius NFL network a few times today.

Eleazar
01-03-2006, 10:12 PM
no,the rule you posted from 2003 refers to assistant coaches.Assistant coaches and coordinators are not allowed to be traded for draft picks per NFL policy.They have to be given a promotion if still under contract.

Gruden was the Raiders' head coach.

Edwards is the Jets' head coach.

What do assistants have to do with it?

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
The rule states that a HC cannot be traded to another team with draft picks.. can you think of any HC's that have been traded to another team after Gruden for draft picks??? No because you can't do it..

I'm taking John Clayton's word over you, dude....sorry.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:44 PM
OK here's the real dirt on the "Gruden Rule" as far as I can tell.

In January of 2003, the league definately put a moratorium on draft pick compensation for any front office employee (coaches, assistants, scouts, etc.). A google of "gruden" and "draft picks" will provide plenty of links.

However, they left it as a possibility to vote to lift the ban at later owner's meetings.

I haven't found a report saying they ever lifted it, but it's possible that it was lifted, thus making the picks for Herm story plausible.

Denizen
01-03-2006, 10:53 PM
A week after issuing the moratorium Rich McKay had the following to say.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1496578.html

dirk digler
01-03-2006, 10:55 PM
OK here's the real dirt on the "Gruden Rule" as far as I can tell.

In January of 2003, the league definately put a moratorium on draft pick compensation for any front office employee (coaches, assistants, scouts, etc.). A google of "gruden" and "draft picks" will provide plenty of links.

However, they left it as a possibility to vote to lift the ban at later owner's meetings.

I haven't found a report saying they ever lifted it, but it's possible that it was lifted, thus making the picks for Herm story plausible.

It was for assistant coaches and non GM - front office positions only. Head coaches are fair game. I know nobody believes PFT but they asked Greg Aiello the NFL spokesman and he confirmed this.

League spokesman Greg Aiello told us on Monday that draft picks can be used to acquire a head coach or a high-ranking club executive (such as G.M. or the equivalent). Draft choices cannot be used, per Aiello, to acquire coordinators, position coaches, or executives below the level of president or G.M.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:57 PM
It was for assistant coaches and non GM - front office positions only. Head coaches are fair game. I know nobody believes PFT but they asked Greg Aiello the NFL spokesman and he confirmed this.That may be the case now, but it wasn't at the inception of the rule in 2003.

Like I said, they left an opening for owners to evaluate it and lift the ban in later meetings.

Eleazar
01-03-2006, 10:58 PM
A week after issuing the moratorium Rich McKay had the following to say.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1496578.html

Finally, authoritative word. Thanks!

dirk digler
01-03-2006, 11:00 PM
That may be the case now, but it wasn't at the inception of the rule in 2003.

Like I said, they left an opening for owners to evaluate it and lift the ban in later meetings.

I think they wanted to slow it down or put a mortorium(sp) on it because it was getting out of hand.

But it looks like teams can still do this but I hope the Chiefs don't give up any draft picks for ANY head coach.

BucsGirl
01-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Gruden is stupid

Adept Havelock
01-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Gruden is stupid

Hmmm. The man gift-wraps you a Super Bowl victory...and you say he's stupid.

What truly underwhelming gratitude. :bong: