PDA

View Full Version : If Herm is so good ...

Chiefnj
01-03-2006, 09:55 PM
.. why don't the Jets simply extend his contract and pay him more money?? Why release a good head coach? The coaching market isn't that great and there is a lot of competition this year.

Imon Yourside
01-03-2006, 10:03 PM
*Crickets*

Chiefs Pantalones
01-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I don't think Herm is worth picks. The fact that we are having discussions for compensation really disturbs me. Hopefully they are just rumors.

nychief
01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
The thinking is that Herm wants the Chiefs' Job and that because the Jets are in for a world of hurt the next couple of years, they don't want to compound the misery with a disgruntled, underpaid coach. As for not just extending him, well assuming he wants to stay in NY, I have heard that Woody Johnson the Jets owner is a little gun shy about shelling out a huge contract for a rebuilding job - plus he just wasted 22 million dollars on Pennington the last two years.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Additionally, I don't think Herm thinks he has to get out of NY. He just wants someone to show him the money, and doesn't care if it is the Jets or the Chiefs.

Herm may very well be the next coach of the Chiefs, but it's hard to take rumors about Herm that seriously because he wants to play the Chiefs against the Jets.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:07 PM
.. why don't the Jets simply extend his contract and pay him more money?? Why release a good head coach? The coaching market isn't that great and there is a lot of competition this year.Maybe they're looking at doing just that. It's not like he's gone yet.

Maybe they recognize that he wants out, and would rather eek out a few draft picks than cling to a coach that doesn't want to be there.

Maybe the Jets front office doesn't feel he's as good of a coach as Carl Peterson does.

Maybe there's a rift between him and the GM.

Etc, etc, etc.

Couldn't that question be asked of pretty much all coaching candidates?

Stinger
01-03-2006, 10:10 PM
.. why don't the Jets simply extend his contract and pay him more money?? Why release a good head coach? The coaching market isn't that great and there is a lot of competition this year.

Why was Cleveland let Bill Belichick let go? Different sytems work with different teams as do coachis IMO. Would you take some coach that lead his team to a playoff birth last year, and missed moving on thanks to a kicker? Who got his team to play competetively week in and week out when the team he had on the field was no where near being good. They had to go throught what 4 or 5 qbs. Plus I beleive that they are going to be in a bad cap situation next year thanks to Pennington. He make the lowest salary in the league. Why would he want to stay with someone who does not respect his coaching?

My own reasons I like him, his fire and passion for the game. To me he is more old school, something IMO this team needs. Don't protect and caddle like Vermil (unless your a kicker), but if someone did something wrong by God admit it and make it better.

tk13
01-03-2006, 10:10 PM
If they thought Herm sucked, why wouldn't they just fire him? :spock:

Chiefnj
01-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Why was Cleveland let Bill Belichick let go? Different sytems work with different teams as do coachis IMO. Would you take some coach that lead his team to a playoff birth last year, and missed moving on thanks to a kicker? Who got his team to play competetively week in and week out when the team he had on the field was no where near being good. They had to go throught what 4 or 5 qbs. Plus I beleive that they are going to be in a bad cap situation next year thanks to Pennington. He make the lowest salary in the league. Why would he want to stay with someone who does not respect his coaching?

My own reasons I like him, his fire and passion for the game. To me he is more old school, something IMO this team needs. Don't protect and caddle like Vermil (unless your a kicker), but if someone did something wrong by God admit it and make it better.

First, I don't think you can compare the Belichick situation with Edwards or any other coaching situation. It's tough to coach when your owner is picking up the team and moving.

As for the rest of your post, you support my argument. If Herm is good, if he led them to the playoffs 3 of 5 years and had them playing hard with no hope of the postseason, why won't the Jets reward him with a new contract? It doesn't make much sense to me.

I've heard rumors the Jets need to rebuild and that might be why he wants to move on, but aren't the Chiefs close to that stage also? On defense they have Surtain, Allen, DJ and perhaps Mitchell. On offense most of the stars have some serious age issues - Green, Richardson, Roaf, Shields. TG apparently has a contract issue and Kennison is getting a little long in the tooth.

mac58
01-03-2006, 11:25 PM
i live in NY and get to see alot of herm edwards. he is a great motivator and great practice coach, but at times he has bad play and clock management. I like the guy though and would be happy to see him come here. he has a great attitude and he is a tough guy. I think the chiefs need some more toughness.

nychief
01-03-2006, 11:26 PM
i live in NY and get to see alot of herm edwards. he is a great motivator and great practice coach, but at times he has bad play and clock management. I like the guy though and would be happy to see him come here. he has a great attitude and he is a tough guy. I think the chiefs need some more toughness.

agreed.