PDA

View Full Version : No props for the Chiefs on ESPN

PastorMikH
01-04-2006, 10:27 AM
We can't get a break in the media. I'm watching ESPN while working here in the office, OK, OK, I'm watching ESPN and posting on the Planet INSTEAD of working. Anyhow, ESPN just took a look at which team looking for a HC is the best team. They picked Houston. Houston!

Of the 8 teams, ours and maybe the Vikings have potential for post season noise next year. The rest are teams that will need work IMO.

phxchief
01-04-2006, 10:29 AM
F*ck ESPN TV... most of the ESPN.com i've read along with most other sources all speak of how much better the KC position is than others.

One of the lead stories on ESPN.com is about that exact fact.

BigRedChief
01-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Berman says the Chiefs job is the #1 opening.

jjchieffan
01-04-2006, 10:30 AM
thats typical of the media. where was their second choice, Detroit?

siberian khatru
01-04-2006, 10:31 AM
It's all about Bush.

[insert wide range of jokes here]

jspchief
They picked the Raiders to win the division in '05 too.

They something stupid, and it never comes up again if they're wrong.

If they happpen to be right, they pretend that they're brilliant.

Anyong Bluth
NFL LIVE picked us #1.... relax. WHO CARES

BigRock
01-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Berman says the Chiefs job is the #1 opening.
So does Jaws. John Clayton said Houston and the ESPN News anchor was like "Really? Not Kansas City?", and Clayton brought up the age of the offense. But he didn't say KC wasn't a good job, just that he thought Houston was better.

jspchief
01-04-2006, 10:32 AM
FWIW, I don't think the Chiefs job is the best coaching job available. They may be the best team next year to be coaching out of the candidates, but I don't think it's the best job.

Matt Helm
01-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Last night The NFL Network played up the Chiefs over every other team regarding the best place for a new HC. Most of the show was dedicated to talking about the Chiefs and their new HC prospects.

Herm was #1 and Al Saunders was #2, IIRC.

nmt1
01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
So does Jaws. John Clayton said Houston and the ESPN News anchor was like "Really? Not Kansas City?", and Clayton brought up the age of the offense. But he didn't say KC wasn't a good job, just that he thought Houston was better.

Newer/better facilities and higher draft picks do count for something. Houston will be a pretty decent team when they get their offensive line figured out.
That being said, if we get a few offensive pieces replaced and figure out how to tackle, we'll be pretty good too.

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
FWIW, I don't think the Chiefs job is the best coaching job available. They may be the best team next year to be coaching out of the candidates, but I don't think it's the best job.Really. Who wants to work for Carl?

King_Chief_Fan
01-04-2006, 10:37 AM
We can't get a break in the media. I'm watching ESPN while working here in the office, OK, OK, I'm watching ESPN and posting on the Planet INSTEAD of working. Anyhow, ESPN just took a look at which team looking for a HC is the best team. They picked Houston. Houston!

Of the 8 teams, ours and maybe the Vikings have potential for post season noise next year. The rest are teams that will need work IMO.

The reason was ownership, facilities and ready to spend a little money.

Matt Helm
01-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Really. Who wants to work for Carl?

I would bet that more coaches would work for him than you figure.

PastorMikH
01-04-2006, 11:07 AM
The reason was ownership, facilities and ready to spend a little money.

Yeah, but even with those positives, there are plenty of negatives.

A different set of commentators are putting the jobs in order. KC is #1 on theirs.

Anyong Bluth
01-04-2006, 11:09 AM
In CP's defense - there's a reason a number of coaches has moved on successfully from here, not to mention people from the front office that have also.

Working w/ Carl is not the same as being a player trying get a contract or media wanting an interview.

JohnnyV13
01-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I can see why some would think Houston is the best job. Houston has a beautiful, and high revenue, new stadium that will help generate the liquid capital to attract FAs. They have four good young players in David Carr, Andre Johnson, Domanick Davis and Dunta Robinson.

If you think Reggie Bush has potential to be great while Domanick Davis is merely a solid back, you can draft Bush and trade Domanick Davis for picks. That situation gives you some draft pick flexibility. Also, Houston is in better cap shape than KC.

However, KC isn't a bad job at all. We have better young players than our average age would indicate. Jared Allen, Derrick Johnson and Larry Johnson are foundation players. LJ looks like he could be a superstar.

People make too much of the age factor. Sure, that dominant o line is old, but if they retire it will free cap room to sign replacements. Sure, they might not be the fabulously dominant guys they have now, but it likely will allow the chiefs to field a functional line. The key here is the contract length. Did Carl guess right on each player's effective play length and structure the contracts correctly? If he guessed wrong too many times, a new coach could hit a dead money crisis a few years into the job.

kpic
01-04-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't know if you can put any of the openings into an order, I think it is more of a "what coach fits best into what opening".

If a coach comes into the KC job he will be expected to win his first year here and do better than what Vermeil did (top 10-6 and at least make the playoffs) thats a lot of pressure, probably the #1 reason CP would not go after an "unproven" coach. If you were the coach and you took the Houston job you have really nowhere to go but up, even if you cannot top the previous years record you have an excuse already built in that it will take a year or two to get this mess in order.

dj56dt58
01-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Yeah the age of our offense makes Houston better than us. Let's see..our old offense ranked #1 in the NFL..where was Houston at again? Oh wow, their getting Reggie Bush. Umm..We got LJ Bitches!