PDA

View Full Version : Clark Judge: Reports out of Big Apple bogus on Edwards to K.C.

booger
01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Reports out of Big Apple bogus on Edwards to K.C.
By Clark Judge

Let me make this quick: Kansas City president Carl Peterson is not in New York. He's not negotiating to make a deal for Jets' coach Herman Edwards. And he hasn't asked for permission to speak to Edwards.

Herman Edwards has two years left on his Jets contract. (Getty Images)
In fact, Edwards isn't on the Chiefs' radar. Not yet.

He might if he was out of his contract, and that's what this whole Herman Edwards-to-Kansas City uproar is about. Herman Edwards' contract.

There are indications that Edwards, who has two years left on his deal, wants an extension the Jets aren't willing to grant. That, in turn, forced the Jets to think long and hard about Edwards' future, and everywhere you turn you hear that he may be finished with the club.

I'm not sure what that means. Are the Jets firing him? Are the two sides reaching a settlement? What?

All I know is that there's no end to these stories about Edwards going to Kansas City -- provided, of course, the Jets gain something in return. But they're dealing with the wrong people.

Kansas City surrendered second- and third-round draft picks for Dick Vermeil and a first-rounder for quarterback Trent Green, and they're out of that business. WFAN radio in New York reported Wednesday said that the two sides were negotiating, but sources in Kansas City insisted that wasn't true.

That's not to say that Peterson hasn't spoken to Jets' GM Terry Bradway. In fact, Bradway said the two had a conversation earlier this week but didn't indicate what it was about.

Peterson IS talking, but it's to prospective candidates in other parts of the country. He already spoke with Chiefs' offensive coordinator Al Saunders and now has started to address others on the list -- and, no, Herman Edwards is not one of them.

All I know is that all these reports of the Chiefs pursuing Edwards emanate from New York, not Kansas City -- and it sure looks like the work of a club preparing to move on without its head coach.

I saw the same thing happen in San Francisco in 2002 when coach Steve Mariucci's name was linked to a myriad of openings. San Francisco owner John York tired of hearing it and resolved to end it. So after Mariucci led the 49ers to a division title and led them to the divisional round of the playoffs, York fired him.

The 49ers haven't had a winning season since.

I don't know what the Jets do, but it appears as if they've lost interest in holding on to Edwards and want Kansas City to make a move it's not ready to make. Edwards insists he will be the Jets' coach next year, but you can understand where he's coming from, too. He looks at the future and doesn't like what he sees. And what he sees is a team that is a mess; a team in need of a serious makeover.

So the two are stuck. And the Jets want Kansas City to bail them out. Good luck.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9144117

Bootlegged
01-04-2006, 08:25 PM
It's a beaut, Clark, a beuat! God let this be true.. NO DRAFT PICKS for a mediocre coach.

tomahawk kid
01-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Sounds exactly like what Bob Moore told 610 this afternoon.

I wonder if Moore is selling a smoke screen and Judge foolishly bit or Carl's really not talking to the Jets........ :hmmm:

Both local sports talk stations reported that the Chiefs and the Jets were close to a deal and had "verified with multiple sources", not that it means much.

Hoover
01-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah thats like a 1000% better stad at the story Nick the Hack was trying to write

Frazod
01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
It's a beaut, Clark, a beuat! God let this be true.. NO DRAFT PICKS for a mediocre coach.

What he said. :thumb:

JBucc
01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm just gonna sit back and see what happens and not believe anyone

beavis
01-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling... like maybe our next coach is going to be named Fassel.

jiveturkey
01-04-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling... like maybe our next coach is going to be named Fassel.
You and your bad feeling need to keep to yourselves. :)

Thig Lyfe
01-04-2006, 08:34 PM
What? You mean John Goodman is still alive?

VonneMarie
01-04-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't even care any more...

Hurry up Carl! Either bring back Saunders or hire Butch Davis.

Bootlegged
01-04-2006, 08:35 PM
This will be funny if the AP got ANOTHER story wrong...

Nice 24 hours guys.

DTLB58
01-04-2006, 08:36 PM
FWIW, ESPN news has on their bottom line that the Jets and Chiefs are in talks for Herm.

At least it's what I would consider a relaible source.

Bootlegged
01-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Why do we always have these off-season dramas?

B2chiefsfan
01-04-2006, 08:38 PM
I don't even care any more...

Hurry up Carl! Either bring back Saunders or hire Butch Davis.

Bite your tongue!!!!

:cuss:

FringeNC
01-04-2006, 08:45 PM
maybe we can get a draft pick for taking Edwards off the Jets' hands - maybe for a fifth round pick, we'll assume his contract and extend it.

BigRedChief
01-04-2006, 09:30 PM
ESPN, NFL network, Newsday and the AP are all saying a deal is imminent. I trust them more than sportsline. Especially nfl network. They never post BS.

FringeNC
01-04-2006, 09:33 PM
ESPN, NFL network, Newsday and the AP are all saying a deal is imminent. I trust them more than sportsline. Especially nfl network. They never post BS.

Aren't they all based on the same wire report?

tk13
01-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Clark Judge does have pretty good ties to KC....

FAX
01-04-2006, 09:40 PM
My sources are reporting that this report may be correct.

FAX

stevieray
01-04-2006, 09:42 PM
My sources say stop buying into the frenzy of something that will happen in it's own time, regardless of how much the media tells you how important it is to get the information not one second too late.

booger
01-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I'd say this is just a pro Chiefs article from Judge. He has written good things on DV, CP, and Gun in the past. He seems to have a good relationship with the team.

The one thing that leads to Edwards no matter the news of today is the lack of any minority interviews. They obviously wouldn't have to do that if they are set on Edwards.

The Stoops deal was probably a bit of mutual interest but I can't see the Hunts or CP breaking the bank on him while he isn't the best coach in College and doesn't have any NFL experience. Maybe a better job for him would be Houston where he could start fresh instead of here with all of the veterans. Besides, Stoops can milk even more $$$$$ from the folks at OU.

I don't know what to think of Butch Davis. He does remind me a lot of Jimmy Johnson. I just don't like the way things went in Cleveland.

So if Edwards falls through and Saunders isn't the man either, I would really hope we go ahead and interview Ferentz like Mortenson has apparrently stated.

ChiTown
01-04-2006, 09:44 PM
My sources say stop buying into the frenzy of something that will happen in it's own time, regardless of how much the media tells you how important it is to get the information not one second too late.

Sincerely,

The Friends and Family of the Deceased WV Coal Miners

:clap:

beavis
01-04-2006, 09:44 PM
You and your bad feeling need to keep to yourselves. :)
Sorry. :(

Doesn't matter either way, unless Carl pulls a rabbit out of his hat. I'm unexcited about all the potential candidates.

jiveturkey
01-04-2006, 09:49 PM

Doesn't matter either way, unless Carl pulls a rabbit out of his hat. I'm unexcited about all the potential candidates.I couldn't agree more.

It's a stinky year to be hiring a new coach.

Herzig
01-04-2006, 09:51 PM
"Sheriff murdered, church meeting bombed. Reign of terror must cease. Send new sheriff immediately.

We've gotta protect our phoney-baloney jobs, gentlemen, we must do something about this immediately, immediately!! "

AirForceChief
01-04-2006, 10:05 PM

Doesn't matter either way, unless Carl pulls a rabbit out of his hat. I'm unexcited about all the potential candidates.

That ain't a hat he's trying to pull a rabbit out of... :shake:

nascher
01-05-2006, 10:29 AM
he is pretty off guard here.

ct
01-05-2006, 10:32 AM

:clap:

Mr. Laz
01-05-2006, 10:49 AM
don't worry about the coach process
don't worry about the draft picks
don't worry about the front office decision
don't get upset if the chiefs lose
don't have an opinion that you have no power to decide
don't worry about the Chiefs, they're just a football team

~This message is brought to you by the Apathetic Seniors Society~

just relax and Let A.S.S. help you help yourself.

BigMeatballDave
01-05-2006, 10:51 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133001

:)

BigRock
01-05-2006, 03:34 PM
You know, if there was any truth to Judge's report, then some new story had to come out today to explain why Herm isn't KC's coach yet. And that's exactly what happened. Kinda interesting.

HemiEd
01-05-2006, 04:06 PM

Yep, this is getting to be entertaining. It is a long offseason, I am in no rush.

stevieray
01-05-2006, 05:47 PM
don't worry about the coach process
don't worry about the draft picks
don't worry about the front office decision
don't get upset if the chiefs lose
don't have an opinion that you have no power to decide
don't worry about the Chiefs, they're just a football team

~This message is brought to you by the Apathetic Seniors Society~

just relax and Let A.S.S. help you help yourself.

All your post proves is that you don't have a friggen clue.

I'm excited about the regime change. I'm just not going to waste any energy getting caught up in rumors until something ACTUALLY happens.