View Full Version : AP Story top of ESPN: Edwards Close to being Chief

nychief
01-04-2006, 08:45 PM
who do you believe? I am tired.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2280596

Sources: Chiefs, Jets talk compensation for Edwards
Associated Press
click this

NEW YORK -- Herman Edwards is close to becoming the next Chiefs coach.

Kansas City and the Jets discussed a compensation package for Edwards on Wednesday, a person close to the situation said. Another person familiar with the negotiations said the talks were almost completed.

Herm Edwards
Rex Brown/WireImage.com
Herm Edwards has said he intends to stay with the Jets, but appears to be closing in on becoming Dick Vermeil's successor.

Both sources spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks.

The Chiefs, rumored to be interested in Edwards for the last two months, would have to give up draft picks to hire Edwards because he is still under contract with the Jets. Edwards has ties to the Kansas City organization and general manager Carl Peterson, and would replace retired coach Dick Vermeil.

The NFL must approve the deal before it can be official and nothing was submitted to the league office Wednesday, both sources said.

Edwards and GM Terry Bradway previously had scheduled a season-ending news conference for Thursday.

Giving up draft picks is nothing new to the Chiefs. Kansas City surrendered a second- and a third-round pick when it hired Vermeil, who was technically under contract with St. Louis even though he was retired. Peterson was upset about that, and though he declined to discuss Edwards at a news conference Tuesday, he did say "Any time I have to part with a No. 1 draft choice it's painful."

But the Chiefs might not have to if the Jets agree to take lower-round selections. That would make sense for the Jets, who need as many picks as they can get to fill holes after a 4-12 season.

The Jets maintained Wednesday the Chiefs haven't officially contacted them. Edwards' agent, Gary O'Hagan, said he hasn't spoken with the Jets or Chiefs, saying, "I'm only talking to Coach Edwards." A phone message for Edwards wasn't returned.

Edwards, who has two years left on his contract, wants an extension with the Jets so he could have more time to rebuild the team. At $2 million a year, Edwards is one of the lowest-paid coaches in the league, and wanted a raise as a reward for taking the team to the playoffs three times in five years.

Still, he maintained throughout the season and as late as Monday that he planned to be the Jets' coach. In November, team owner Woody Johnson also said he wanted Edwards to stay.

"I'm happy to be the coach here and I'm going to be the coach here, like I said before, and that's as far as I want to comment on it," Edwards said earlier this week.

It appears that is no longer likely. Kansas City always appeared to be a good fit since Edwards has ties to the Chiefs and Peterson, who tried to recruit Edwards to go to UCLA, then signed him as an undrafted free agent with Philadelphia. Peterson gave him his first NFL job as an executive in the Chiefs' player personnel department in 1990.

When the Jets played Kansas City to open the 2005 season, Edwards and his wife had dinner with Peterson and his wife -- something Peterson said was rare for him to do during the year. Before the game, Edwards expressed his gratitude to Peterson and Vermeil for giving him a chance.

"They were a great influence, there's no doubt about it," Edwards said at the time. "They really set the table for my pro career as a player and as a coach and a scout. I can't be more grateful to both of those guys."

B2chiefsfan
01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH........................

Hoover
01-04-2006, 08:47 PM
This is effin nuts. I never thought it could get worse than the DV media craze when he was hired

VonneMarie
01-04-2006, 08:49 PM
:shake: :shake: :shake:

ZootedGranny
01-04-2006, 08:55 PM
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH........................

"What do you want?"

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/pumasweats/Bob_Loblaw.JPG

booger
01-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Updated: Jan. 4, 2006, 9:44 PM ET
Sources: Chiefs, Jets talk compensation for EdwardsESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Herman Edwards is close to becoming the next Chiefs coach.

Kansas City and the Jets discussed a compensation package for Edwards on Wednesday, a person close to the situation told the Associated Press. Another person familiar with the negotiations told the AP the talks were almost completed.

Rex Brown/WireImage.com
Herm Edwards has said he intends to stay with the Jets, but appears to be closing in on becoming Dick Vermeil's successor.

Both sources spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks.

The Chiefs, rumored to be interested in Edwards for the last two months, would have to give up draft picks to hire Edwards because he is still under contract with the Jets. Edwards has ties to the Kansas City organization and general manager Carl Peterson, and would replace retired coach Dick Vermeil.

The NFL must approve the deal before it can be official and nothing was submitted to the league office Wednesday, both sources said.

Edwards and GM Terry Bradway previously had scheduled a season-ending news conference for Thursday.

Giving up draft picks is nothing new to the Chiefs. Kansas City surrendered a second- and a third-round pick when it hired Vermeil, who was technically under contract with St. Louis even though he was retired. Peterson was upset about that, and though he declined to discuss Edwards at a news conference Tuesday, he did say "Any time I have to part with a No. 1 draft choice it's painful."

But ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports that, under the compensation parameters discussed Wednesday, the Chiefs would not surrender a first-round choice for the right to discuss their vacancy with Edwards. League guidelines stipulate that the clubs must reach an agreement on compensation, approved by the league, before an interview can take place.

Sources told Pasquarelli that Jets officials, who initially wanted to retain Edwards but who have now grown wary of all the talk about him leaving for the Kansas City job, have already begun drawing up a list of potential replacements.

The Jets are scheduled to have a Thursday news conference, which is planned as little more than the typical year-end assessment of the season. But if things move quickly enough in compensation negotiations between the Chiefs and Jets, that session could take on added significance.

On Wednesday. the Jets maintained that the Chiefs haven't officially contacted them. Edwards' agent, Gary O'Hagan, said he hasn't spoken with the Jets or Chiefs, saying, "I'm only talking to Coach Edwards." A phone message for Edwards wasn't returned.

Edwards, who has two years left on his contract, wants an extension with the Jets so he could have more time to rebuild the team. At $2 million a year, Edwards is one of the lowest-paid coaches in the league, and wanted a raise as a reward for taking the team to the playoffs three times in five years.

Still, he maintained throughout the season and as late as Monday that he planned to be the Jets' coach. In November, team owner Woody Johnson also said he wanted Edwards to stay.

"I'm happy to be the coach here and I'm going to be the coach here, like I said before, and that's as far as I want to comment on it," Edwards said earlier this week.

It appears that is no longer likely. Kansas City always appeared to be a good fit since Edwards has ties to the Chiefs and Peterson, who tried to recruit Edwards to go to UCLA, then signed him as an undrafted free agent with Philadelphia. Peterson gave him his first NFL job as an executive in the Chiefs' player personnel department in 1990.

When the Jets played Kansas City to open the 2005 season, Edwards and his wife had dinner with Peterson and his wife -- something Peterson said was rare for him to do during the year. Before the game, Edwards expressed his gratitude to Peterson and Vermeil for giving him a chance.

"They were a great influence, there's no doubt about it," Edwards said at the time. "They really set the table for my pro career as a player and as a coach and a scout. I can't be more grateful to both of those guys."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

unlurking
01-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Hey booger, is it just me or did you repost the article in the thread starter?

B2chiefsfan
01-04-2006, 08:58 PM
"What do you want?"

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/pumasweats/Bob_Loblaw.JPG

Herman would be fine, Al would be fine, Fassel no, Sherman maybe.........

I just wish the media would just cut the crap..........!!!!!!!!!!

Scott BAO, WTF............??

booger
01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey booger, is it just me or did you repost the article in the thread starter?
nope.

This piece is part of the latest.

But ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports that, under the compensation parameters discussed Wednesday, the Chiefs would not surrender a first-round choice for the right to discuss their vacancy with Edwards. League guidelines stipulate that the clubs must reach an agreement on compensation, approved by the league, before an interview can take place.

Sources told Pasquarelli that Jets officials, who initially wanted to retain Edwards but who have now grown wary of all the talk about him leaving for the Kansas City job, have already begun drawing up a list of potential replacements.

The Jets are scheduled to have a Thursday news conference, which is planned as little more than the typical year-end assessment of the season. But if things move quickly enough in compensation negotiations between the Chiefs and Jets, that session could take on added significance.

Mecca
01-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Herman would be fine, Al would be fine, Fassel no, Sherman maybe.........

I just wish the media would just cut the crap..........!!!!!!!!!!

Scott BAO, WTF............??

Well with Scott Baio we'd have hotter cheerleaders, have you seen some of the chicks he's banged?

tk13
01-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Oklahoma TV is in on this as well apparently...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/koco/20060105/lo_koco/3161884

Edwards KC-Bound, Not Stoops
1 hour, 7 minutes ago

Sources have told Eyewitness News 5 Sports Director Mark Rodgers and New York sports radio station WFAN is reporting that current New York Jets coach Herm Edwards will become the next head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

This quashes speculation about University of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops -- at least in terms of the possibility that he would make a move to Kansas City.

Stay tuned to Eyewitness News 5's Sports Xtra for complete coverage of Oklahoma Sooners football.

nychief
01-04-2006, 09:57 PM
New York Times article from tonight....

Jets' Loss Is Chiefs' Gain; Deal for Edwards Is Near

by Damon Hack
The Jets and the Kansas City Chiefs discussed a compensation package that would make Edwards the new coach in Kansas City while giving the Jets draft picks in exchange, according to a National Football League executive who was granted anonymity because the negotiations were not yet complete.

Neither Edwards nor Terry Bradway, the Jets' general manager, returned telephone calls seeking comment yesterday.

The move would bring to an end Edwards's five-year relationship with the Jets that saw them reach the playoffs three times but sink to a 4-12 record this season amid injuries that seemed to doom the team from the start.

Speculation about Edwards's future with the Jets dominated the second half of the season, most notably when Dick Vermeil, Kansas City's coach and Edwards's longtime mentor, admitted to uncertainty about returning to coach the Chiefs in 2006.

That speculation grew when Vermeil publicly praised Edwards's coaching job late in the season, saying that Edwards might be a candidate to be the National Football League's coach of the year for the way he guided the Jets through adversity.

After Vermeil announced his retirement Sunday, Edwards maintained that he expected to return to the Jets, a sentiment that Edwards and several Jets expressed again Monday.

But yesterday, that sentiment began to change.

"I'm sure there will be some disappointed players," Pete Kendall, the Jets' center, said when reached by telephone, responding to the possibility of Edwards's leaving. "I don't think any of this should affect anyone's opinion of Herm.

"I don't think any less of any of the parties involved," Kendall added. "I think they all made a business decision that worked out best for everyone."

On Monday, Jets running back Curtis Martin was asked if the view of Edwards in the locker room would change if he left the team.

"No," Martin said. "Because a person makes a certain decision for their future, you can't walk in their shoes. You don't know what they're thinking, how they see their future or how they envision themselves."

Edwards, who has two years remaining on his contract with the Jets, is among the lowest-paid coaches in the N.F.L., earning about $2 million a year.

In Kansas City, Edwards would most likely garner long-term security and a larger salary, not to mention a team with a nucleus that includes running back Larry Johnson, tight end Tony Gonzalez and one of the league's most respected offensive lines.

Edwards is a close friend of Carl Peterson, the Chiefs' president and general manager, who hired Edwards as a scout for Kansas City in 1990 and who has long admired Edwards from afar. (Peterson did not return a telephone call seeking comment.)

If Edwards does leave the Jets, at a time of widespread coaching changes around the league, their most obvious replacement candidates are already in the organization. Mike Heimerdinger, the offensive coordinator, and Donnie Henderson, the defensive coordinator, have been mentioned as potential head coaches, although Henderson has also garnered interest for the New Orleans Saints job.

Other possibilities include Jim Haslett, the Saints coach who was fired after the season, and Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz, who once coached under Bill Belichick in Cleveland and whose name always garners attention. (Ferentz's contract with Iowa runs through the 2012 season.)

Jim Fassel, the Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator and former Giants coach, is also available and has already received interest from the Chiefs. The Ravens originally hired Fassel in 2004 as a consultant to work with quarterback Kyle Boller.

Although the Ravens finished with a 6-10 record and were ranked 24th in total offense, they scored 94 points over their last three games, with Boller finally appearing comfortable in Fassel's system.

"It was his offense this year," Ozzie Newsome, the Ravens' general manager, said of Fassel in a telephone interview yesterday. "He ran it, called it, it was his. Once we got all of our players in place, once we got them healthy, Jim did a good job, and he'll do an even better job next year if we have the chance to retain him."

Whoever takes the Jets' coaching job will face many uncertainties on a team coming off a forgettable season.

Karen Crouse contributed reporting for this article.

Herzig
01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Sheriff murdered, church meeting bombed. Reign of terror must cease. Send new sheriff immediately.

We've gotta protect our phoney-baloney jobs, gentlemen, we must do something about this immediately, immediately!!

Stinger
01-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Sheriff murdered, church meeting bombed. Reign of terror must cease. Send new sheriff immediately.

We've gotta protect our phoney-baloney jobs, gentlemen, we must do something about this immediately, immediately!!

Hurrumph..... Hurumph ..... Hurumph

And now nfl.com

Link (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NYJ/9144020)

Source: Chiefs in talks to hire Jets' Edwards Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (Jan. 4, 2006) -- The Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets discussed a compensation package for coach Herman Edwards on Wednsday, a person familiar with the situation said on condition of anonymity.

The NFL must approve the deal before it can be official, and nothing was submitted to the league office by late Jan. 4.

Giving up draft picks is nothing new to the Chiefs. Kansas City surrendered a second- and a third-round pick when it hired Vermeil, who was technically under contract with St. Louis even though he was retired. Peterson was upset about that, and though he declined to discuss Edwards at a news conference Jan. 3, he did say "Any time I have to part with a No. 1 draft choice it's painful."

But the Chiefs might not have to if the Jets agree to take lower-round selections. That would make sense for the Jets, who need as many picks as they can get to fill holes after a 4-12 season.

The Jets maintained the Chiefs haven't officially contacted them. Edwards' agent, Gary O'Hagan, said he hasn't spoken with the Jets or Chiefs, saying, "I'm only talking to Coach Edwards."

Still, he maintained throughout the season and as late as Jan. 2 that he planned to be the Jets' coach. In November, team owner Woody Johnson also said he wanted Edwards to stay.

It appears that is no longer likely.

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Whats with the giving up picks for coaches? Carl seems to enjoy that for some reason.. Maybe he just a negotiaholic??

Dammit Carl! knock that $hit off!~

WilliamTheIrish
01-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Whats with the giving up picks for coaches? Carl seems to enjoy that for some reason.. Maybe he just a negotiaholic??

Dammit Carl! knock that $hit off!~

Because he's a frappin' klown.