PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Ferentz Enters the Fray!

jspchief
01-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Tommorrow morning, IA newspapers will report that Kirk Ferentz will interview with the Houston Texans this weekend when he's in Texas for NCAA coaches meetings.

This is big news, because while his name comes up every year, he has never actually agreed to interview with any teams.

I desperately hope the Chiefs look at him. Even though this team isn't probably the best option for him at this point, I would love to get him in to start preparing for the next generation of Chiefs football. IMO, he'll be a great NFL coach.

Deberg_1990
01-04-2006, 10:01 PM
I think hes the next Nick Saban who i desperately wished had come out this year.

beavis
01-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I think hes the next Nick Saban who i desperately wished had come out this year.
The next Nick Saban? I agree the guy is an up and coming coach, but he's got one season under his belt. He's hardly the next Lombardi.

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I think Kirk Ferentz is the next Mike Peterson.

milkman
01-04-2006, 10:07 PM

Why?

So you could be even more disapointed and pissed when Carl never even sniffed in his direction before he gave away draft picks for Hermie?

jspchief
01-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I should mention, this is being reported as fact by very credible sources on local sports radio. Des Moines sports radio isn't KC radio, or WPI. If these guys are reporting it as fact, I'd bet the farm on it.

Chiefnj
01-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I'd love it if KC considered him. I doubt they will. I mean with Butch Davis in the running why bother with other candidates.

jspchief
01-04-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't know if KC would consider him, but the better question is would he consider KC?

He's starting out by interviewing with a team that has some of the best facilities in the league, the #1 overall draft pick, an impressive young nucleus of players, and a weakness (O-line) that he specializes in. It's a perfect situation to walk into. He may not look anywhere else.

Shag
01-04-2006, 10:35 PM
IMHO, someone with zero NFL coaching experience has no business being brought into a team that's not rebuilding. When KC goes into rebuilding mode, sure, give him a look. Until then, we need someone with NFL experience...

jspchief
01-04-2006, 10:36 PM
IMHO, someone with zero NFL coaching experience has no business being brought into a team that's not rebuilding. When KC goes into rebuilding mode, sure, give him a look. Until then, we need someone with NFL experience...Kirk ferentz has NFL coaching experience, but thanks for your two cents.

KChiefs1
01-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Holy Shit!

We have to jump all over this!

He is the next Belichick!

FAX
01-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Poster with no brain like buffalo with no dick.

Make monkey look like big deal.

FAX OF THE JUNGLE

Shag
01-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Kirk ferentz has NFL coaching experience, but thanks for your two cents.

Huh, my bad...

Uncle_Ted
01-05-2006, 12:05 AM
I thought Ferentz interviewed for the Jags job a few years ago, but said he had to have a definite answer that week, so he later withdrew his name from consideration? Anyone else remember this?

jspchief
01-05-2006, 12:07 AM
I thought Ferentz interviewed for the Jags job a few years ago, but said he had to have a definite answer that week, so he later withdrew his name from consideration? Anyone else remember this?You may be right. I think he's buddies with someone in the Jags organization.

Was that around the time he was posturing for a new contract?

JohnnyV13
01-05-2006, 12:12 AM
I do think the Texans is a good job, b/c of their young talent. But, I think some of you are overstating it. The Texans DO have some age problems on D. For example: their D line features Gary Walker and Seth Peyton, two 33+ d linemen who are having injury problems.

Their linebackers aren't spring chickens either. While the chiefs have PLENTY of age on their offense....its age that is performing VERY well.

And the Chiefs have more good young players than most give us credit for. Hello LJ, Derrick Johnson and Jared Allen are all foundation players. I think Samie Parker can be a solid 2 WR and deep threat in this league.

Kawicka Mitchell is likely to be a solid MLB for many years to come. Tony G. probably has 4 or 5 good years left in him. Look at Shannon Sharpe's production late in his career and consider that Tony G. has never suffered a major joint injury.

kcfanintitanhell
01-05-2006, 12:13 AM
According to his son, Brian, who started at center for the Hawks for three years, his dad has not said anything other than that he won't leave Iowa City until all his kids have graduated high school.
His contract with UI is until 2012.
Take it for what it's worth.

htismaqe
01-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Ferentz did interview for the Jags job.

He also reportedly interviewed for the Indy job in 2001 and the Cleveland job last year, which he emphatically denied.

According to KXNO last night, he was going to interview with the Texans next week.

According to KXNO and John Clayton this morning, he's expected to withdraw his name from NFL consideration this weekend.

htismaqe
01-05-2006, 09:11 AM
According to his son, Brian, who started at center for the Hawks for three years, his dad has not said anything other than that he won't leave Iowa City until all his kids have graduated high school.
His contract with UI is until 2012.
Take it for what it's worth.

Ferentz has a 12-year-old and he's repeatedly said he wants them to graduate in Iowa City.

Lots of money can certainly change that...