PDA

View Full Version : Your Top Ten NFL Head Coaches..

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
1. Bill Belichick
2. Mike Holmgren
3. Mike Shanahan (ugh!)
4. John Gruden
5. John Fox
6. Bill Parcells
7. Bill Cowher
8. Jeff Fisher
9. Andy Reid
10. Herm Edwards/Tony Dungy (tie) thanks SK and RJ

I thought about this for about 3 minutes, so I reserve the right to change my order if compelling reasons occur.. :)

BTW, Pete Carroll gets my coaching moron of the week award..

siberian khatru
01-05-2006, 12:11 AM
10. Herman Edwards

RJ
01-05-2006, 12:13 AM
I think Dungy is on there somewhere.

Agree with you on Carroll if you're talking about not punting on 4th and 2. Make 'em work a little harder. And he's not a genius if they make it. Just lucky.

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2006, 12:13 AM
10. Herman Edwards

HA! thats funny as hell.. I forgot #10..

Edwards it is! :thumb:

siberian khatru
01-05-2006, 12:15 AM
HA! thats funny as hell.. I forgot #10..

Edwards it is! :thumb:

Just trying to buck up the troops around here.

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2006, 12:15 AM
I think Dungy is on there somewhere.

Agree with you on Carroll if you're talking about not punting on 4th and 2. Make 'em work a little harder. And he's not a genius if they make it. Just lucky.

Well that.. But even worse was using his last timeout with 13 seconds remaining because he was "suprised" that Texas was going to go for 2 with a one point lead... :spock:

obesecomic
01-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Shanahan doesnt belong on that list. If anything replace martz with shanahan. Martz might be crazy, but at least his teams dont cheat in order to win superbowls.

RJ
01-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Well that.. But even worse was using his last timeout with 13 seconds remaining because he was "suprised" that Texas was going to go for 2 with a one point lead... :spock:

Yes, that was certainly no time for a brain fart. Apparently he didn't do the math. Do they let the coaches carry calculators?

Hammock Parties
01-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Shanahan doesnt belong on that list.

Yes he does. What he's done with Plummer this year is amazing. He pulled all the offseason deals that no one else had the balls to pull.

I wish we had a coach like that. We need to make a draft for a stud DT badly.

obesecomic
01-05-2006, 12:30 AM
No one had the balls to pull those deals because they seemed retarded at the time. Who would have thought he would have found some gold in another teams turds

Deberg_1990
01-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Is Parcells really that great anymore???

ferrarispider95
01-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Shanahan drafted an armed felon, nuff said

Deberg_1990
01-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Shanahan drafted an armed felon, nuff said

Shanahan won the AFC West with an inferior QB. We had one of the NFL's most explosive offensives yet we sit at home. Nuff said.

obesecomic
01-05-2006, 01:00 AM
It will be fun to watch Denver get humiliated in the playoffs again, so that will be at least one good point

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2006, 01:04 AM
My top five are the guys that call great games on offense and just plain manage the clock and set the tempo, I really weigh my choices on great offensive philosophies.. As much as I can't stand Shanahan, i have a great amount of respect for him as a coach..

I love Gruden's emotional style..

Bellichick seems like an arsehole but damn he's a great coach.

I would have loved to play for John Fox if I was a drafted player.. :ROFL:

Holmy is the master play caller.. He is calling some of the best games I have ever seen from any coach ever!
He is simply on fire this year.. (of course it helps to have the same offense gelling for 5 years)

Abba-Dabba
01-05-2006, 01:16 AM
8. Jeff Fischer

This is the 11,235,465th time I have seen Fisher's name spelled like Fischer on this board. FWIW, how do any of you expect somebody to take your opinion about the guy seriously if you don't even know how to spell the guys name. Do you even know who you are talking about? I mean hell, Fisher isn't that hard to spell.

I can't even stand the guy and his perpetual mediocre results of his teams, but atleast I can spell Fisher correctly.

Abba-Dabba
01-05-2006, 01:17 AM
And it's Belichick, not Bellicheck

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2006, 01:23 AM
This is the 11,235,465th time I have seen Fisher's name spelled like Fischer on this board. FWIW, how do any of you expect somebody to take your opinion about the guy seriously if you don't even know how to spell the guys name. Do you even know who you are talking about? I mean hell, Fisher isn't that hard to spell.

I can't even stand the guy and his perpetual mediocre results of his teams, but atleast I can spell Fisher correctly.

Alrighty then.. I fixed it just for you soggysock..

Taco John
01-05-2006, 01:29 AM
1. Bill Bellichick
2. Mike Holmgren
3. Mike Shanahan (ugh!)
4. John Gruden
5. John Fox
6. Bill Parcells
7. Bill Cowher
8. Jeff Fisher
9. Andy Reid

I thought about this for about 3 minutes, so I reserve the right to change my order if compelling reasons occur.. :)

BTW, Pete Carroll gets my coaching moron of the week award..

Holmgren at #2? Seriously?

Taco John
01-05-2006, 01:30 AM

Pete didn't call that timeout... The players on the field did.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2006, 01:31 AM
Holmgren at #2? Seriously?

He's only had two losing seasons in 14 years.

Taco John
01-05-2006, 01:32 AM
No one had the balls to pull those deals because they seemed retarded at the time. Who would have thought he would have found some gold in another teams turds

Dick Vermiel, Circa 2001 (see Greg Robinson, Glen Cadrez, Ray Crockett, Bubby Brister)

Taco John
01-05-2006, 01:33 AM
It will be fun to watch Denver ... in the playoffs again, so that will be at least one good point

I fixed your post for you.

/You play to win the games.

Taco John
01-05-2006, 01:34 AM
He's only had two losing seasons in 14 years.

I'd put him in the top ten, for sure... But #2, over the coach that beat him heads up for all the money?

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Pete didn't call that timeout... The players on the field did.

If that is a fact then I guess pete gets a pass on that one..

After thinking about it a bit, they stop the clock on first downs in college anyway, so it wasn't quite as bad as I was thinking..

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2006, 01:37 AM
I'd put him in the top ten, for sure... But #2, over the coach that beat him heads up for all the money?

If Holmy was coaching that Denver team and Shanny was coaching the Packers the Broncos would have won by twenty.. :)

Taco John
01-05-2006, 01:42 AM
If Holmy was coaching that Denver team and Shanny was coaching the Packers the Broncos would have won by twenty.. :)

ROFL

That's too funny. I agree that Holmy is a good playcaller, but there is no one in the business better than Shanahan at creating mismatches and then calling plays to exploit them. During the Superbowl days, Shanahan used to do this thing where he'd take play sets from the other team's offenses and beat them with it by exploiting the match-up he wanted. It was like throwing a change-up. It was brilliance and it would piss off the other team and put them on tilt. From there, it was time to go over the top...

In his 11 seasons as the Broncos head coach, Shanahan's Broncos have:

1. Gained more yards than any other NFL team.
2. Scored more points than any other NFL team.
3. Won more games than any other NFL team.

That's a hell of a legacy. That's a coach headed for the Hall of Fame.

And I'm going to be there for it.

Abba-Dabba
01-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Alrighty then.. I fixed it just for you soggysock..

Fantastic!

Now, I see you changed Bellicheck to Bellichick. Which is fine and dandy, but you would still be wrong though.

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2006, 01:48 AM
Fantastic!

Now, I see you changed Bellicheck to Bellichick. Which is fine and dandy, but you would still be wrong though.

I guess I better study up on my coach spelling or the coachspelling nazi might bust me.. :) (at least I spelled Fox correctly)

Fixed..

Thanks for the heads up on my spelling errors.. How much do I owe ya?

jjchieffan
01-05-2006, 02:16 AM
1. Belichek...one of the all time greats
2. Parcells...Turns every program he touches around
3. Holmgren..Should've never been GM in Seattle, back to old form now
4. Cowher...Longest coaching gig in the league for a reason, he just keeps finding ways to win
5. Gibbs...Hes getting the program turned around, look for the skins to be dominate next season
6. Andy Reid...He had the balls to do the right thing with TO, look for the Eagles to be contenders again next season
7. Schottenheimer..best regular season coach around, would be much higher if he could win in the post season
8. Jon Gruden...He can get the most out of his players. He made a no talent Gannon into a pro bowler
9. Shanarat....A cheating weasel, but if he can win with Jake the fake, he deserves to be on the list
10. Marvin Lewis..The first person in forever to make the bungles a respectable team

Logical
01-05-2006, 02:23 AM
1. Bill Belichick
2. Mike Shanahan (ugh!)
3. Mike Holmgren
4. John Gruden
5. Bill Cowher
6.Andy Reid
7 Bill Parcells
8. Tony Dungy
9. John Fox
10. Jeff Fisher
11. Herm Edwards

Amnorix
01-05-2006, 07:42 AM
1. Bill Belichick
2. Mike Holmgren
3. Mike Shanahan (ugh!)
4. John Gruden
5. John Fox
6. Bill Parcells
7. Bill Cowher
8. Jeff Fisher
9. Andy Reid

I pretty much agree with the list. I'd keep Dungy on there over Edwards, and move Reid up several notches and Gruden down a few, but that's nitpicking.

I may need to add Gibbs and/or Saban on there, depending on what the next couple of years show, but for now, that list is good.

the Talking Can
01-05-2006, 07:46 AM
move Reid up and Parcells down..and Holmgrem down too...maybe 5th