View Full Version : Teicher: Edwards talks heating up

tk13
01-05-2006, 02:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13551855.htm

Edwards talks heating up
Chiefs would need to give up draft pick

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Long before Dick Vermeil made his retirement announcement, speculation centered on Herman Edwards as his replacement as the Chiefs head coach.

So it should be no surprise that the negotiations that would bring Edwards to the Chiefs appeared to intensify Wednesday. The Chiefs need to pry Edwards away from New York, where he has two seasons remaining on his contract with the Jets.

The Chiefs would need to compensate the Jets with at least one draft pick.

There was no official comment from either the Chiefs or the Jets on Wednesday. Edwards’ agent, Gary O’Hagan, indicated he was waiting for both sides to come to an agreement so he could begin negotiations with the Chiefs on a new contract for Edwards.

“Anything that’s going on right now doesn’t involve me,” O’Hagan said.
The NFL must approve the terms of the trade before any Chiefs negotiations with Edwards can begin.

Reports of negotiations between the Chiefs and Jets surfaced Wednesday on a New York radio station, which initially indicated a deal was imminent before backing off. The Associated Press in New York later reported the sides were close to an agreement.

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson has interviewed Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders and his Baltimore counterpart, Jim Fassel, since Vermeil retired with Sunday’s win over Cincinnati.
He may just have been biding his time, or perhaps creating some leverage for his discussions with the Jets.

In the 51-year-old Edwards, the Chiefs would be getting a defensive-savvy coach who could help solve some of their long-standing problems. He is known as an energetic coach and a good teacher.

Edwards is also personable and relates well to his players. That makes him a chip off the Vermeil block. Edwards played cornerback for Vermeil with Philadelphia more than 20 years ago.

His teams went to the playoffs three times in his five seasons with New York but had a 39-41 record overall. The Jets were 4-12 this season.
One of Edwards’ weaknesses is generally acknowledged to be his game-day coaching. His time-management mistakes have repeatedly cost the Jets.

Peterson and Edwards have long had a close relationship. Edwards at one time thought that if he would ever get a head coaching job, it would be for Peterson.

Peterson granted Edwards, then an assistant coach for Tampa Bay, an interview in January 1999 for the Chiefs’ head coaching job, then vacant after Marty Schottenheimer’s departure.

“I was a lot more serious about Herm after the interview,” Peterson said in a 2001 interview. “He was thorough and prepared. I was very impressed with what he had prepared to show me of how he would do things as a head coach, from the smallest detail to the most important aspects, throughout the entire year, not just the season.

“He’s a great communicator. Talk to any of his players, black or white. It doesn’t matter. Herman relates. I felt at that time he was very close to being ready to become a head coach, if he wasn’t already.”

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2006, 02:26 AM
He hired Gun over Herm?

And what is this?..."One of Edwards’ weaknesses is generally acknowledged to be his game-day coaching." That's not a very good thing.

Um, everything I read in this article makes me not want Herm even more.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 02:30 AM
He hired Gun over Herm?

And what is this?..."One of Edwards’ weaknesses is generally acknowledged to be his game-day coaching." That's not a very good thing.

I doubt it could be any worse than Vermiels gameday coaching.

tk13
01-05-2006, 02:31 AM
He hired Gun over Herm?

He hired Gun over Al Saunders too. Of course both those guys have had about 100 times more success than Gun has had in that timeframe.

This offseason is basically the "Runner up in 1999" coaching competition.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2006, 02:50 AM
He hired Gun over Herm?

Really, the coordinators do most of the coaching during game-day. The HC just manages the clock, players on the sideline and talks with the coordinators.

Teicher needs to go back to Michigan State and learn how to write a straight newspiece instead of editorializing everything.

DaWolf
01-05-2006, 04:03 AM
He hired Gun over Herm?

Yeah, but the good news is that bad game day clock management has been a tradition here all the way back to the Marty era.

The interesting thing about the Gun vs Herm decision is that the no 1 guy on Carl's list that year was Bellichik, and Carl couldn't get an interview with him because at the time Bill had been promised the Jets job once Parcells stepped down (but then he ended up hopping over to the Pats). Carl settled for Gun, and I think from that point on he realized that he was going to go hard after his No 1 choice for coach no matter what it costs...

Rausch
01-05-2006, 04:24 AM
The interesting thing about the Gun vs Herm decision is that the no 1 guy on Carl's list that year was Bellichik, and Carl couldn't get an interview with him because at the time Bill had been promised the Jets job once Parcells stepped down (but then he ended up hopping over to the Pats). Carl settled for Gun, and I think from that point on he realized that he was going to go hard after his No 1 choice for coach no matter what it costs...

I have it on pretty good authority He wanted Capers above Gun as well, only Capers got a better deal elsewhere...