PDA

View Full Version : Per ESPN: Chiefs-Jets talks stall

chiefqueen
01-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Looks like Carl is waiting to see if they fire him first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2281478

Updated: Jan. 5, 2006, 1:35 PM ET
Sources: Chiefs-Jets talks over Edwards stalled

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Talks between the Chiefs and Jets over Herm Edwards leaving New York to become the Kansas City coach have stalled, according to league sources.
The compensation package that has been on the table involved the Chiefs sending fourth- and fifth-round draft picks to the Jets, perhaps splitting the choices over two years, but Chiefs president Carl Peterson has been reluctant to close a deal, the sources added.
Peterson's reluctance, the sources believe, is based on his sense that Edwards is no longer welcomed in New York by Jets owner Woody Johnson, who is reportedly tired over Edwards' status.
However, a league source added that Peterson's gamble could cost him because if Edwards is fired, the Chiefs would have competition among other teams who would be interested in the Jets coach.
As one other source said, the deal is "always a phone call away."
ESPN's Chris Mortensen is a regular contributor to Insider. He chats every Wednesday in The Show (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/index).

the Talking Can
01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
good...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Good. I hope it doesn't happen. We can get a coach for free, no picks.

FringeNC
01-05-2006, 12:51 PM
And supposedly we are interviewing Ron Meeks today. The significance of that is he is a minority, which gets that all of the way.

Seems Carl has started playing hardball with the Jets, and is just going to do the smart thing, and let Herm get fired, not give up picks.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Although now watch...

Clayton reports in retaliation of making Chiefs GM Carl Peterson mad, he has decided to hire Jim Fassel to stick it to the man.

Although, at least Fassel has been to the Super Bowl, so you really couldn't complain...

the Talking Can
And supposedly we are interviewing Ron Meeks today. The significance of that is he is a minority, which gets that all of the way.

Seems Carl has started playing hardball with the Jets, and is just going to do the smart thing, and let Herm get fired, not give up picks.

uh, Herm ain't a whitey....

Hammock Parties
I have a feeling it's only delaying the inevitable.

siberian khatru
01-05-2006, 12:53 PM
However, a league source added that Peterson's gamble could cost him because if Edwards is fired, the Chiefs would have competition among other teams who would be interested in the Jets coach.

Maybe. Nothing a little extra money couldn't fix.

I'd rather spend Lamar's money on a coach then the team's draft picks.

chiefqueen
The Jets are reportedly already setting up interviews (Haslett). IMO doing this while they still have a HC disqualifies from us compensating them.

Chiefs Pantalones

Very true, but we haven't officially interviewed Herm for the job. That can only be done when agreeing on compensation per league's approval.

the Talking Can
01-05-2006, 12:55 PM
for **** sake, go interview Rivera and Ferentz...or hire Saunders...save us from Dick Herm Edwards Schottenhiemer...

FringeNC
01-05-2006, 12:56 PM

I know, but it could be signaling the Jets that the Chiefs are ready to name Saunders HC if the Jets keep ****ing around.

Chiefs Pantalones
Maybe. Nothing a little extra money couldn't fix.

I'd rather spend Lamar's money on a coach then the team's draft picks.

Money would not be an issue. There is no cap for coaches. Lamar has more money than Gates, so it's no biggie. If Herm really wants to be with his buddy, once he gets fired he'll book a plane straight to KC

the Talking Can
I know, but it could be signaling the Jets that the Chiefs are ready to name Saunders HC if the Jets keep ****ing around.

ah, ok...that would make sense....

FloridaMan88
01-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Hey Carl...

AL SAUNDERS

AL SAUNDERS

AL SAUNDERS

AL SAUNDERS

jspchief
01-05-2006, 12:58 PM
This where Carl's hard-ass negotiating tactics could be beneficial.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Hey Carl...

AL SAUNDERS

AL SAUNDERS

AL SAUNDERS

AL SAUNDERS

I agree. It makes too much sense, IMO.

siberian khatru
01-05-2006, 01:01 PM

I think he's playing it right, so far. He's walked the Jets out on a limb. Everyone now knows they're willing to cut Herm loose. They gonna keep him around now? In New York? That'll be fun.

They either take Carl's lower price or they fire Herm and they get nothing in return.

Eleazar
Carl's going to call their bluff. They can't take Herm back now that it's clear they are looking to get rid of him, and are lining up interviews with others.

Carl's going to tell them where to go, and they'll have to fire him, then we can get him for free.

Hey, a mediocre coach for free is better than paying with picks for him.

KChiefs1
Does anyone on this board think Carl isn't a bastard in negotiations? I have no doubt he'll wear down whoever he is negotiating with except Nick Saban.

ChiTown
01-05-2006, 01:02 PM

ROFL

Agreed. I hope he's a dick to the nth degree.

Here's to CP fng this thing up...........in a good way!

jiveturkey
01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Does anyone on this board think Carl isn't a bastard in negotiations? I have no doubt he'll wear down whoever he is negotiating with except Nick Saban.He's wearing down Terry Bradway who just happens to be a Carl trainee. Petro had several comments about this and indicated that we have all of the power in this situation because our worst case scenario if this drags out involves us hiring someone else. The Jets would be stuck with Edwards who they aparently don't want anyway.

If Herm is who Carl wants and it's not the worst possible choice (not even close IMO) then I'm glad he's doing everything possible to get him at the price that he wants. I'm betting that we're going to lose a pick or two but a 4th and a 5th isn't horrible if that's what it ends of being. I think that we have an extra 5th rounder anyway.

Bradway is going have nightmares after this is all said and done.

Gaz
01-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Stall and die, baby.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still has faint hopes of escaping Edwards as HC.

sedated
01-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't mind having Herm as long as no picks were sent anywhere.

He needs all the help he can get.

the Talking Can
01-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I agree we have them by the balls.

And I hope Bradway let's pride get the better of him and he keeps Herm.

CP may just save himself from himself.

phxchief
01-05-2006, 01:19 PM
I doubt they even started.

Frosty
01-05-2006, 01:25 PM
I doubt they even started.

I agree. This article smells of CYA after running with a bogus story yesterday.

tomahawk kid
01-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Stall and die, baby.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still has faint hopes of escaping Edwards as HC.

I assume you want yourself as HC? :)

Seriously though, who would be your #1 choice.

HemiEd
01-05-2006, 01:30 PM
for **** sake, go interview Rivera and Ferentz...or hire Saunders...save us from Dick Herm Edwards Schottenhiemer...

agreed, if this falls through, I have a feeling right now similar to just avoiding a car wreck.

Gaz
01-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Saunders.

He is familiar with the team, he knows how to ramp up an Offense and he likes to go for the jugular.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wants a HC with a taste for blood.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2006, 01:32 PM
"Hello!!! You play not to lose football to win games by missed field goals!!!"

Megbert
01-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Keep playing hardball ol King C.

PLEASE we don't net Martyball Redux.

tomahawk kid
01-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Saunders.

He is familiar with the team, he knows how to ramp up an Offense and he likes to go for the jugular.

xoxo~
Gaz

Fair enough.

Seems like Saunders makes a few bone headed calls in the red zone every year.

For that reason, I would question his in game coaching ability. But, Herm apparently has his own issues there as well.

kpic
01-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Whoa...whoa...whoa.......who is this "Carl Peterson" guy everyone keeps mentioning??

Gaz
01-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Find me a HC who has NOT made a bonehead call or two.

True the excruciatingly boneheaded and game-changing decision to throw against Seattle still raises my hackles and makes me want to call for the DDS, but I try to remember that coaches are people, too.

Feet of clay, so forth.

xoxo~
Gaz
Clay-footed to a frightening degree.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2006, 01:50 PM
My sources emailed me this transcript of an interview between Carl and Herm earlier this week...

Carl- What would you bring to this team, namely the defense?

Herm- I would bring a passion, a sense of urgency, a new attitude to this defense.

Carl- What is thoughts on the offense, we are very good in that area as you know, would you want to change some things at all on that side of the ball?

Herm- I do have some things to add maybe...

Carl- Do tell...

Herm- You guys have always scored touchdowns, that's great but I was thinking of something else...

Carl- Ok...and what would that be?

Herm- I would like to employ my scheme that I had over with the Jets...I'm not talking about changing the offense, but what you like to do on offense...

Carl- Ok...point?

Herm- Well, touchdowns are overrated. The league has seen enough of them, and I think it's time to start a new revolution...

Carl- Point, please?

Herm- The goal on offense would be to score as many field goals as we possibly can...

Carl- (Remenising back to the Marty days; day dreaming and looking in the sky...) Sounds good, you're hired.

RINGLEADER
01-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Saunders.

xoxo~
Gaz

I get the sense if Saunders was the head coach we would have ALWAYS gone for it on 4th and short...Vermeil never seemed to understand we didn't have a defense and that the offense was our strength...I don't think Al would have that problem.

I already stated all the reasons why Al as HC would make sense. But I'm not going to get my hopes up because nothing this team does seems to make much sense...

Hydrae
01-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Looks like Carl is waiting to see if they fire him first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2281478

Updated: Jan. 5, 2006, 1:35 PM ET
Sources: Chiefs-Jets talks over Edwards stalled

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Talks between the Chiefs and Jets over Herm Edwards leaving New York to become the Kansas City coach have stalled, according to league sources.
The compensation package that has been on the table involved the Chiefs sending fourth- and fifth-round draft picks to the Jets, perhaps splitting the choices over two years, but Chiefs president Carl Peterson has been reluctant to close a deal, the sources added.
Peterson's reluctance, the sources believe, is based on his sense that Edwards is no longer welcomed in New York by Jets owner Woody Johnson, who is reportedly tired over Edwards' status.
As one other source said, the deal is "always a phone call away."
ESPN's Chris Mortensen is a regular contributor to Insider. He chats every Wednesday in The Show (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/index).

Since all of the "official" word has been that there are NO negotiations happening, is this just the media backtracking? Trying to keep the amount egg on their collective faces to a minimum?

Warrior5
01-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Bradway: now Carl, about those mid-round draft picks...

CP: LISTEN TAIT, er...TERRY; STFD and STFU!

...wondering if CP is pulling a repeat of the season opener against the Jets.

Rain Man
01-05-2006, 02:30 PM
I hope the talks fall through, so we can hire a coach who's just as good without surrendering draft picks.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2006, 02:34 PM
My sources emailed me this transcript of an interview between Carl and Herm earlier this week...

Strange. This was the transcript I got:

“A Dramatization of the Herman Edwards Job Interview with KC”

Carl Peterson (GM and CEO of the Chiefs): Herm it is a pleasure to see you. Please come in.

Herman Edwards: It’s good to see you too. You know when I got your letter inviting me to this interview, I showed it Lia and told her, not everyone gets a letter. We got a letter. We have the right to interview for a head coaching job with the Chiefs.

CP: Hey, what happened to your suit?

HE: Oh…this? Yeah, it got a little torn. I parked outside the gate and hopped the fence.

CP: Why didn’t you just go to security guard?

HE: They ain’t going to break me down. I needed something to get fired up about. I like the inconvenience.

CP: Ummm…OK. Have a seat. Why don’t we talk a little bit about your philosophy on football?

HE: Hello? You play to win the game!

CP: What about relative to offense?

HE: Offense? Well, obviously, you need to score some points. But it’s not just scoring points. You need to score more points than the other team. Points are good. I like points…woo boy do I like points. But it’s not just points….it’s drives. Oh yeah….drives are big. A good drive is like a peanut. You know it takes some work to crack it and get it open, but when you finally taste that peanut, man it was all worth it. Yes sir, drives are good.

CP: Well, what do you think of the offense on this team?

HE: Oh yeah…you got some offense here! First of all, you got 10 at QB. We got a 10 in New York too. I like 10….10 is what I like in a QB. 10 makes some throws. And that’s what you have to be able to do at quarterback. You gotta make the throws. I really like that Priest too….that boy can run. And that is what we will do…run the ball. Yeah…I like to run.

CP: Well you must like the idea of having a guy like Larry Johnson too?

HE: Yeah, well if Priest needs a blow, we’ll see if we can get the kid into the game. But Priest is the man. He’s got 8035 rushing yards. We gotta get him 10,000 yards. He needs to run the ball. If he doesn’t get the ball on a consistent basis, he’s gonna get flustrated….and we don’t want that.

CP: What about Tony Gonzalez?

HE: Yes sir, I like that way that boy plays. Heck of a blocker….heck of a blocker.

CP: Blocker?

HE: Oh yeah…obviously, we gotta open up those lanes for Priest. I mean we know he can catch…we know that. But, you’ve got to stick with what you do…run the ball. You see it’s like getting on the bus. Some people get on the bus and go to the back. Some people get on the bus and ride in the front. Don't matter, as long as you're on the bus. Gonzalez will be on the bus.

CP: All right, let’s talk a little defense.

HE: Alright…my side of the ball! Defense is all about making stops. If you don’t stop the other team they are gonna score. And that’s not good. You got to get off the field. You stay on the field and it’s a problem.

CP: What kind of defensive front do you envision running here?

HE: Well, we can run a 3-4 or a 4-3. The important thing is that it adds up to 7. As long as you have 7 guys its good.

CP: Well, what about the secondary? You seem to prefer a cover-2 scheme.

HE: I did a lot of cover-2 in Tampa with Tony. We had lots of success with that in Tampa. Cover-2…boy do I love the cover-2. Heck of a coverage scheme…yes…it is a great one to run.

CP: Yeah, but it didn’t work out so good for you in New York.

HE: Well…it's like when you go to the prom, you rent your tuxedo, you get one of those big limousines and you feel pretty good. The next day, you come to school, you're driving a Volkswagen.

CP: Herm, I have no idea what you are talking about….

HE: That's the good part...it can get fixed. It's like you get a flat tire and you run on that little one you take out the back. Ya know...you're embarrassed because it's that little ugly one and you can't wait to get to the gas station...cause you can fix that tire. We'll get it fixed. It'll get fixed.

CP: Herm, I am really confused now…

HE: You just haven’t tried the Kool-Aid yet. I’m not pouring any poison into that Kool-Aid, so you’ve got to drink some.

CP: OK, Herm I think this interview is over.

HE: Hold on now…we haven’t talked about black cats or the dogcatcher yet. No, I am not done by a long shot…

CP: Time to leave, Herm.

HE: The one thing I do know, I can't play. I do know that. I cannot play, I promise you that. I don't even want to play because I know I couldn't play good enough to help them. But I'll do everything else I can do to help them, and then they have got to go play.

CP: Get the hell out of here…

HE: All of a sudden, someone got flustrated. Did I ever tell you about how I used to try and catch chickens?

CP: Security! Security!!!

kpic
01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
HE: Well, we can run a 3-4 or a 4-3. The important thing is that it adds up to 7. As long as you have 7 guys its good.

HE: Well…it's like when you go to the prom, you rent your tuxedo, you get one of those big limousines and you feel pretty good. The next day, you come to school, you're driving a Volkswagen.

Man these two are hilarious, instant classics……but gochiefs I think you might have too much time on your hands…..

tk13
01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, this is what John Clayton just said on NFL live. Said the Chiefs have put all the pressure on the Jets, they can drag this thing out to the point where Herm says let me go. Then they can try to get him for free. The Jets need to find a way to close this deal, but they don't have much leverage at all. Bradway's going to the Carl Peterson school of negotation, you think he would've learned better by now.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
The people who hate Edwards make me laugh, for what's out there he's one of the better guys. You should just mark Saunders off it's not gonna happen here, it's pretty much an unrealistic thought.

dirk digler
01-05-2006, 04:14 PM
The people who hate Edwards make me laugh, for what's out there he's one of the better guys. You should just mark Saunders off it's not gonna happen here, it's pretty much an unrealistic thought.

Have you recovered from last night?

irishjayhawk
I think if Saunders wasn't a possiblity (which it seems he still is, but a long shot) people would be satisfied with Herm.

I had Herm on my #2 behind Saunders but ahead of Rivera and Ferenz both of whom tie and come behind Herm because of their lack of NFL experience. While, I think they both could be the next "Marvin Lewis" of sorts (young, energetic, motivational etc) I don't think that's necessarily what we need.

Hammock Parties
Man these two are hilarious, instant classics……but gochiefs I think you might have too much time on your hands…..

I ripped it off the Jets board.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Strange. This was the transcript I got:

“A Dramatization of the Herman Edwards Job Interview with KC”

Carl Peterson (GM and CEO of the Chiefs): Herm it is a pleasure to see you. Please come in.

Herman Edwards: It’s good to see you too. You know when I got your letter inviting me to this interview, I showed it Lia and told her, not everyone gets a letter. We got a letter. We have the right to interview for a head coaching job with the Chiefs.

CP: Hey, what happened to your suit?

HE: Oh…this? Yeah, it got a little torn. I parked outside the gate and hopped the fence.

CP: Why didn’t you just go to security guard?

HE: They ain’t going to break me down. I needed something to get fired up about. I like the inconvenience.

CP: Ummm…OK. Have a seat. Why don’t we talk a little bit about your philosophy on football?

HE: Hello? You play to win the game!

CP: What about relative to offense?

HE: Offense? Well, obviously, you need to score some points. But it’s not just scoring points. You need to score more points than the other team. Points are good. I like points…woo boy do I like points. But it’s not just points….it’s drives. Oh yeah….drives are big. A good drive is like a peanut. You know it takes some work to crack it and get it open, but when you finally taste that peanut, man it was all worth it. Yes sir, drives are good.

CP: Well, what do you think of the offense on this team?

HE: Oh yeah…you got some offense here! First of all, you got 10 at QB. We got a 10 in New York too. I like 10….10 is what I like in a QB. 10 makes some throws. And that’s what you have to be able to do at quarterback. You gotta make the throws. I really like that Priest too….that boy can run. And that is what we will do…run the ball. Yeah…I like to run.

CP: Well you must like the idea of having a guy like Larry Johnson too?

HE: Yeah, well if Priest needs a blow, we’ll see if we can get the kid into the game. But Priest is the man. He’s got 8035 rushing yards. We gotta get him 10,000 yards. He needs to run the ball. If he doesn’t get the ball on a consistent basis, he’s gonna get flustrated….and we don’t want that.

CP: What about Tony Gonzalez?

HE: Yes sir, I like that way that boy plays. Heck of a blocker….heck of a blocker.

CP: Blocker?

HE: Oh yeah…obviously, we gotta open up those lanes for Priest. I mean we know he can catch…we know that. But, you’ve got to stick with what you do…run the ball. You see it’s like getting on the bus. Some people get on the bus and go to the back. Some people get on the bus and ride in the front. Don't matter, as long as you're on the bus. Gonzalez will be on the bus.

CP: All right, let’s talk a little defense.

HE: Alright…my side of the ball! Defense is all about making stops. If you don’t stop the other team they are gonna score. And that’s not good. You got to get off the field. You stay on the field and it’s a problem.

CP: What kind of defensive front do you envision running here?

CP: Well, what about the secondary? You seem to prefer a cover-2 scheme.

HE: I did a lot of cover-2 in Tampa with Tony. We had lots of success with that in Tampa. Cover-2…boy do I love the cover-2. Heck of a coverage scheme…yes…it is a great one to run.

CP: Yeah, but it didn’t work out so good for you in New York.

CP: Herm, I have no idea what you are talking about….

HE: That's the good part...it can get fixed. It's like you get a flat tire and you run on that little one you take out the back. Ya know...you're embarrassed because it's that little ugly one and you can't wait to get to the gas station...cause you can fix that tire. We'll get it fixed. It'll get fixed.

CP: Herm, I am really confused now…

HE: You just haven’t tried the Kool-Aid yet. I’m not pouring any poison into that Kool-Aid, so you’ve got to drink some.

CP: OK, Herm I think this interview is over.

HE: Hold on now…we haven’t talked about black cats or the dogcatcher yet. No, I am not done by a long shot…

CP: Time to leave, Herm.

HE: The one thing I do know, I can't play. I do know that. I cannot play, I promise you that. I don't even want to play because I know I couldn't play good enough to help them. But I'll do everything else I can do to help them, and then they have got to go play.

CP: Get the hell out of here…

HE: All of a sudden, someone got flustrated. Did I ever tell you about how I used to try and catch chickens?

CP: Security! Security!!!
ROFL ROFL

tk13
01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
ROFL ROFL Holy crap I didn't read that transcript. That's the funniest thing I've ever read. I'm laughing so hard my eyes are watering... I lost it when he talked about Gonzalez getting on the bus, that's great.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2006, 05:13 PM
ROFL ROFL Holy crap I didn't read that transcript. That's the funniest thing I've ever read. I'm laughing so hard my eyes are watering... I lost it when he talked about Gonzalez getting on the bus, that's great.

Almost all of those are excerpts from his press conferences...the last bit is when he talked about defending Vick being like chasing a chicken. Then he apologizes for calling Vick a chicken.