PDA

View Full Version : Who on this board would give draft picks for Herm?

chiefsfan1963
01-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Curious if people at the planet would be willing to part with any draft picks. How many and how high?

the Talking Can
01-05-2006, 04:23 PM
no one in their right mind would give up picks for a less talented version of Marty...

siberian khatru
01-05-2006, 04:24 PM
1. This is the guy that Carl wants. I'm resigned to that and I can't control it.

2. I don't want to trade picks for him. I'd hope there would be no more than two, they'd be spread over two years and they wouldn't be higher than a 5.

3. Carl's in a position of power now where if he's tough and a bit lucky, he could force the Jets' hand. He's walked them out on a limb to where they really can't take Herm back, IMO. He should try to get them to fire Herm so he can hire him without compensation.

MOhillbilly
01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
NOWAY never look what it got us w/ Vermiel.

JBucc
01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
I'd give them as many 8th round picks as they wanted

NaptownChief
01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I'd give them as many 8th round picks as they wanted

That and a couple used jock straps is what I would give for him....and even only to be the DC not HC....

BigVE
01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Nah. Bob Stoops please.

tk13
01-05-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't really want to give up draft picks. But I think we have a good shot at hiring Butch Davis if this falls through, so I'll live with it.

Warrior5
01-05-2006, 04:34 PM
None.

I want Saunders.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Nah. Bob Stoops please.

If you think that's a good hire for the current roster, I implore you to explain why...........

Hydrae
01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
No coach is worth draft picks IMO.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 04:37 PM
No coach is worth draft picks IMO.

Tampa Bay disagrees.......

Piper
01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
That and a couple used jock straps is what I would give for him....and even only to be the DC not HC....
He's even less qualified to be a DC than a HC if that is possible.

Inspector
01-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I would....give up Bronco's picks for him.

HemiEd
01-05-2006, 04:41 PM
I would give a 2nd in 2002, a 3rd in 2003 and a 2nd in 2004.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 04:50 PM
3rd Round at best;., coupled with a 5th or 6th rounder in another year.

I'd go 4th and 6th this year tough. We've had better luck with FA signings than the draft anyway....

MOhillbilly
01-05-2006, 04:52 PM
3rd Round at best;., coupled with a 5th or 6th rounder in another year.

I'd go 4th and 6th this year tough. We've had better luck with FA signings than the draft anyway....

you really are crazy,:)

NaptownChief
01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
He's even less qualified to be a DC than a HC if that is possible.

Ok how about secondary coach?

Why the hell anybody would give up draft picks for a very average coach is beyond me....If you are looking for a middle of the road NFL coach than why not Jim Fassel? I'm not on his bandwagon but his track record is better than Edwards and won't cost anything but a salary.

kcfanintitanhell
01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd give up a couple free tickets on the first Mars Express.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 04:57 PM
you really are crazy,:)

I would if the Jets made me, I'm saying; from the sound of it, the Jets are just gonna let him go....so Carl is right to wait them out, or call their bluff. We can wait a bit on them....

el borracho
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
No. Herm would be fine for free but he's not worth draft picks. At this point I am on the Saunders bandwagon, would like to promote Solari to OC, and retain Gun at DC.

MOhillbilly
01-05-2006, 04:59 PM
I would if the Jets made me, I'm saying; from the sound of it, the Jets are just gonna let him go....so Carl is right to wait them out, or call their bluff. We can wait a bit on them....

it makes me think the same about waiting out the Jets. But im also starting to think other teams have the finger on the trigger.
Why wouldnt they?

kcfanintitanhell
01-05-2006, 04:59 PM
No. Herm would be fine for free but he's not worth draft picks. At this point I am on the Saunders bandwagon, would like to promote Solari to OC, and retain Gun at DC.

My sentiments exactly.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
it makes me think the same about waiting out the Jets. But im also starting to think other teams have the finger on the trigger.
Why wouldnt they?

I think you are right.

But I think Herm wants to come to KC. However, if other teams go after him, if he's released.....that gives him negotiating leverage with Carl. So Carl is faced with, give a couple of mid-round picks (no more) NOW, or give him mo money and concessions and length of contract LATER, if others are competing for him.....

Not sure the latter would be the better way to go....

MOhillbilly
01-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I think you are right.

But I think Herm wants to come to KC. However, if other teams go after him, if he's released.....that gives him negotiating leverage with Carl. So Carl is faced with, give a couple of mid-round picks (no more) NOW, or give him mo money and concessions and length of contract LATER, if others are competing for him.....

Not sure the latter would be the better way to go....

Maybe part of it is other people have offers on the table w/ the Jets and part of it is maybe Mr. Peterson doesnt want to pay what Edwards thinks he is worth(see GW article)

Wile_E_Coyote
01-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Damond Huard & a carton of Cherry Mashes, tops

rtmike
01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Can't we just give them Kendrell Bell and call it EVEN?

chiefsfan1963
01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
My sentiments exactly.
my vote too. but unfortunately Carl's in charge.

TRR
01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I wouldn't go any higher than a 4th and 5th round pick...not in the same draft.

I've come around to the idea of having Edwards as KC's next HC, however, he hasn't proven anything that warrants more than a 4th round pick.

I'll also turn on Edwards faster than wild fire if he brings that shitty O scheme he had with the Jets.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Maybe part of it is other people have offers on the table w/ the Jets and part of it is maybe Mr. Peterson doesnt want to pay what Edwards thinks he is worth(see GW article)

Could be; guess we'll see.

NaptownChief
01-05-2006, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't go any higher than a 4th and 5th round pick...not in the same draft.

I've come around to the idea of having Edwards as KC's next HC, however, he hasn't proven anything that warrants more than a 4th round pick.

I'll also turn on Edwards faster than wild fire if he brings that shitty O scheme he had with the Jets.

He was obviously running the best offense he knew how and if you think that is shitty and inadequate then why in the world would you be comfortable giving up a 4th and 5th round pick for the guy? We can get shitty and inadequate for free.

Chiefnj
01-05-2006, 05:35 PM
At this point Peterson can offer a 7th rounder and the Jets have to take it. The Jets have misplayed this. They botched it worse than Marty in the post-season. They had a coach under contract for 2 more years, and they knew KC really wanted their coach. KC's current coach even did his boss/friend a favor by making the ludicrous statement that Edwards should be coach of the year. The Jets should have come out and said we know we have a good coach, we look forward to working out a mutually amicable agreement with him. They said nothing. Next thing you know, there is all this rumor Edwards is going to KC. The fans already hate Edwards and turned on him worse after he lied when he said he planned on staying in NY.

What choice do the Jets now have? (1) They can keep Edwards and the fans will hate him even more and will villify him,(2) they can fire Edwards and get nothing in return, or (3) they can release him in exchange for whatever King Carl is willing to give.

chiefsfaninNC
01-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Kendrell Bell, Dexter McCleon, and Carl Peterson. If we can't get Herm for them then the Jets can keep them anyway. We keep our draft picks.

HemiEd
01-05-2006, 05:36 PM
He was obviously running the best offense he knew how and if you think that is shitty and inadequate then why in the world would you be comfortable giving up a 4th and 5th round pick for the guy? We can get shitty and inadequate for free.

So did the Grinch steal your Christmas Mr. Positive?

Jafo
01-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I'd giv'm a 5th and 6th. I think Edwards is worth more than any draft picks in the later rounds. But either way you go, it a gamble. I think we've seen plenty of 1st rounders around here turn out to be either bad picks or just bad players who could'nt make the transition to pro players. One thing is for sure, we have no head coach. We need one, and I don't think honestly that Saunders is the guy. yeh he's pretty good at coordinating an offence, but theres been times this year he has'nt had the offense prepeaired and was down right predictable. I have nothing against Edwards, and all these other names are shaky at best. Like for mentioned, it's a gamble. Unfortunatley with the age of the team, rebuilding and reorganizing is'nt the best thing right now but you have a proven playoff coach in Edwards and Fossel also. I just don't think there is a large talent pool out there in the later rounds and if Carl wants to deal a couple late round draft picks off for Edwards, I think it worth it.

NaptownChief
01-05-2006, 05:37 PM
What choice do the Jets now have? (1) They can keep Edwards and the fans will hate him even more and will villify him,(2) they can fire Edwards and get nothing in return, or (3) they can release him in exchange for whatever King Carl is willing to give.

Pretty much on the button...and that is why he should give nothing. A simple "trade him to me for a couple duffle bags and I will assume his contract that you won't have to pay him a couple million to buyout...I get my coach and you save a couple million dollars..."

alpha_omega
01-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Nope!

58-4ever
01-05-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm for Saunders or Stoops also...just say no to Herm!

NaptownChief
01-05-2006, 05:42 PM
So did the Grinch steal your Christmas Mr. Positive?

I'm not going to pretend that he is all of the sudden a great coach just because he is probably going to end up in KC. Five years as a head coach he had two good years at 10-6, one decent year at 9-7 and two rotten years with minimal playoff success...That spells very average. So why would I or anyone else be excited to give up draft picks for a very average coach when there are several on the market for no compensation?

It would be different if we were talking about a difference maker type of coach like Bellichick, Parcells, Bill Walsh type but we are talking about Herm Edwards who just finished coaching himself to the brink of being fired.

Chiefnj
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Make no mistake about it, Herm will be the next coach of KC. There is no way in hell he can coach in NY again. They (Bradway, Edwards, etc.) have called off every news conference and press appearance they had scheduled. Management doesn't want to be peppered with questions about how they f'ed this up. They are praying the NY media switches its attention to the Giants for a few moments.

The question is how much face can Bradway save. How many picks will his old buddy give him to look good and save his job.

nychief
01-05-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm not going to pretend that he is all of the sudden a great coach just because he is probably going to end up in KC. Five years as a head coach he had two good years at 10-6, one decent year at 9-7 and two rotten years with minimal playoff success...That spells very average. So why would I or anyone else be excited to give up draft picks for a very average coach when there are several on the market for no compensation?

It would be different if we were talking about a difference maker type of coach like Bellichick, Parcells, Bill Walsh type but we are talking about Herm Edwards who just finished coaching himself to the brink of being fired.

as opposed to DV who went:
6-10
8-8
13-3
7-9
10-6

made the playoffs once.... lost in the first game....

rtmike
01-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Wasn't most of the pieces in place in New York before Edwards got there? I thought Parcells had the team built before he left? How many seasons were there between Parcells and Hermie?

I guess the same could be said for the current KC team he would inherit.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Schefter(sp?) on NFL Networks' Total Access says Herm told his coaches in a meeting this morning that he will not be back as the Jets HC

NaptownChief
01-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Wasn't most of the pieces in place in New York before Edwards got there? I thought Parcells had the team built before he left? How many seasons were there between Parcells and Hermie?

He definitely didn't have to rebuild a bad team...The 4 years leading up to him taking over they didn't have a single losing season.

milkman
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM

Parcells was (eventually) replaced by Al Groh, who stayed for one season.
Hermie followed him.

RedNFeisty
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I am not sure that I would want to give up any drafts picks for Herm. I am starting to think making AS HC would be the best beat. I am still for starting from ground up, but that can not be accomplished as long as Carl is still in office.

NaptownChief
01-05-2006, 06:11 PM
as opposed to DV who went:
6-10
8-8
13-3
7-9
10-6

made the playoffs once.... lost in the first game....

What is your point? Vermeil's tenure here in KC was a bust and giving up draft picks for him was a rotten idea. Vermeil wasn't horrible by any means but he wasn't successful. If that is the goal people are looking for the Chiefs to accomplish is to match Vermeil's 5 year stint then I think Edwards is an excellent choice.

milkman
01-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Hell, I think the Jets should GIVE US draft picks to take Hermie off their hands.

I sure as hell don't want to give them any.

tk13
01-05-2006, 06:12 PM

The original team he took over had some Parcells remains on it, but the team he ended up with was really the combination of Al Groh/Herm Edwards. Pennington, Ellis and Abraham were drafted by Groh... after Herm got there they drafted Santana Moss, Lamont Jordan, Dewayne Robertson, Vilma, plus put together the secondary they had.

I'm not sure the team they took to the playoffs last year had many Parcells leftovers left except for Martin/Mawae and Chrebet.

FAX
01-05-2006, 06:12 PM
I say give 'em all our damn draft picks.

Let's see what Herm can do.

FAX THE DRAFT PICK CRAZY MANIAC

NaptownChief
01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Hell, I think the Jets should GIVE US draft picks to take Hermie off their hands.

Honestly they should as the Chiefs will be doing them a favor and saving them a couple million dollars by not having the buy out his contract after they fire him.

NaptownChief
01-05-2006, 06:17 PM
I say give 'em all our damn draft picks.

Let's see what Herm can do.

FAX THE DRAFT PICK CRAZY MANIAC

Agreed....what is the worst that could happen? Go into another 36 year Super Bowl drought? Lets start doing some crazy $hit...at least we will be entertained as we continue to lose.

mlyonsd
01-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Not only would I not give them any draft picks...I'd make them buy Mcleon, Woods, and Bell out of their contracts.

He's nothing more than another Marty.

FAX
01-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Let's see if Mcleon and Bell will agree to leave if we promise them some of our precious damn draft picks.

Hell ... draft picks for everybody!

FAX THE SICK OF DRAFT PICKS AND LOSING ANYWAY