PDA

View Full Version : Do the Texans take Vince Young #1 overall after last night's performance?

Herzig
01-05-2006, 05:41 PM
After his performance last night against USC(who had a "home" game), do the Texans trade Carr for 1st rounder and take Vince at #1. Vince is from Houston...so do you take him and trade Carr for a #1 ?

I would....to get an already living hometown/state legend in his prime...

Poll is set up in the new DraftPlanet forum here..

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133055

chiefsfaninNC
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
You couldn't get a 1st rounder for Carr.

HemiEd
01-05-2006, 05:44 PM
The guy is a freak of nature, I have never seen someone that looked so much ahead of the game. I think they would be stupid not to take him arrange the rest of thier chips the best they can.

Herzig
01-05-2006, 05:45 PM
You couldn't get a 1st rounder for Carr.

I bet they could...maybe a late to mid round pick...Good QB's are scarce...he sucked this year because they have a shitty O line..

chiefsfaninNC
01-05-2006, 05:46 PM
The guy is a freak of nature, I have never seen someone that looked so much ahead of the game. I think they would be stupid not to take him arrange the rest of thier chips the best they can.

He definately helped his cause last night. He would be stupid not to enter the draft this year.

chiefsfaninNC
01-05-2006, 05:48 PM
I bet they could...maybe a late to mid round pick...Good QB's are scarce...he sucked this year because they have a shitty O line..

You said it yourself "Good QB's". He is not in that class.

HemiEd
01-05-2006, 05:49 PM
He definately helped his cause last night. He would be stupid not to enter the draft this year.

I have seen him play maybe a half dozen games. I think I have been amazed by him in everyone, but he sure showed a National audience just how good he can be last night. Or maybe a taste of how good he can be. The Chiefs never get a chance at a player like this because we never really suck.

Herzig
01-05-2006, 05:52 PM
You said it yourself "Good QB's". He is not in that class.

Maybe not good...but I think he's young, played for an expansion team(didn't have much of a supporting cast), and definitely has potential....I think they could at least get a #2 for him.

chiefsfaninNC
01-05-2006, 05:53 PM
I have seen him play maybe a half dozen games. I think I have been amazed by him in everyone, but he sure showed a National audience just how good he can be last night. Or maybe a taste of how good he can be. The Chiefs never get a chance at a player like this because we never really suck.

We had a shot in class of 83. We sure ****ed that up.

C-Mac
01-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Vince is in another playing realm.

chiefsfaninNC
01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Maybe not good...but I think he's young, played for an expansion team(didn't have much of a supporting cast), and definitely has potential....I think they could at least get a #2 for him.

A second or third maybe. No way anyone wastes a first on him. His line is not the entire problem.

Calcountry
01-05-2006, 05:55 PM
You said it yourself "Good QB's". He is not in that class.He IS more accurately described as a tailback taking direct snaps, who can throw to keep the D offguard.

HemiEd
01-05-2006, 05:56 PM
We had a shot in class of 83. We sure ****ed that up.

Yep, we went for the tall guy. :banghead:

Herzig
01-05-2006, 05:57 PM
A second or third maybe. No way anyone wastes a first on him. His line is not the entire problem.

Possibly Chicago in the late 1st maybe?

Boozer
01-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Throws like a girl. There, I said it.

tk13
01-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I'd still take Leinart over Young.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2006, 06:07 PM
ROFL

Bug
01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
If Young enters the draft, the Texans would be insane not to take him. Carr contract can be voided by the club (club has the option to pay him or release him) without a cap hit. Truthfully, Carr's cap hit is going to get his contract voided by the Texans anyway. Houston needs to put fans in the seats of Reliaint Stadium, and they are in great position to do so. Reggie Bush or Vince Young would be a great fit for them, especially with the very offensive o-line in Houston (talking about Young)
Houston should probably trade out of the first round and pick up as many picks as they can, or go after some talent on the O-line, but I doubt the GM will last if he does. He has got to get some seats filled or his job is in the crapper too.

Herzig
01-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Houston needs to put fans in the seats of Reliaint Stadium, and they are in great position to do so. Reggie Bush or Vince Young would be a great fit for them, especially with the very offensive o-line in Houston (talking about Young)

Are you saying that the Houston O-line is good? They gave up 67 sacks this year!!!

If you are being sarcastic, I don't care how good a rb or a qb happens to be...if you don't have a decent O-line, they aren't going to do much.

Boozer
01-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Young's passing success relies on his scrambling ability drawing the DBs and LBs out of coverage, making the easy dump available. NFL DEs will be much better equipped to stop that from being available.

Logical
01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Only if they are insane.

Bug
01-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Young's passing success relies on his scrambling ability drawing the DBs and LBs out of coverage, making the easy dump available. NFL DEs will be much better equipped to stop that from being available.

Fully agree with you, I also know that Young has been doing the same thing for 2 years, and every single team he's played against knows his style, and ability. USC had miles of tape and a full month to do something about it, and he still put up nearly 500 yards of combined offense against them.

dsgreene285
01-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Yes. Houston would be crazy to pass on Young. I've watched him all year and he has a chance at being what Michael Vick would be if he had any accuracy (or could read defenses). I watched Vick in college and Young is light years ahead of where Vick was. He is also a leader on the football field and plays within himself.

bogie
01-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Well, I confess to be about as knowledgable about football as I am about computers. But I saw what I thought was a pro performance out of Young last night. I have never been so impressed by a college player.

Bug
01-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I've never been much of a fan of a running QB, but he has picked up his team and carried them all season. Last night was just an exclamation point to that end. He made all of his team (both sides of the ball) play to and above their abilities.
He is a better passer than anyone will admitt, much better than Vick, and beats defenses designed to stop him.

Dayze
01-05-2006, 07:14 PM
great player, no doubt. But in the world of $$, who's going to be the team to shell out the jack for him?

High risk, high reward. Needless to say, the Chiefs wouldn't fall into that mentality.

Wonder if he'd slip to the Jets?

jidar
01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
He was awesome last night, but I still think he's really just a slower Michael Vick.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
01-05-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm actually hoping the raiders draft him

Frosty
01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
He was awesome last night, but I still think he's really just a slower Michael Vick.

I was thinking Matt Jones.

arc
not impressed

Herzig
01-05-2006, 08:19 PM
I was thinking Matt Jones.
arc
not impressed

I've watched alot of Matt Jones..in person and on TV...no comparison. Matt is nowhere near Vince in the passing category...I think he's(Vinnie) quicker too. The thing is...both are 6-5...big dudes with long legs run fast but don't look like it.

jiveturkey
01-05-2006, 08:22 PM
The experts don't seem to think that he'll get past New Orleans.

I think that he'll be a better pro than Vick.

Either way with him and the LT from USC coming out (not confirmed yet) we'll basically be moving up two spots.

Rain Man
01-07-2006, 10:43 AM

I was seeing more of a Daunte Culpepper type.

Calcountry
01-07-2006, 12:17 PM
He was awesome last night, but I still think he's really just a slower Michael Vick.But much bigger and stronger. He is a fuggin tailback, I repeat tailback.

Texas ran a NO quarterback set, and required its tailback to throw it every now and again.

West Virginia basically was running the same thing, except, their tailback couldn't throw as well, and was a little quicker.

Its an evolution in football mentality. No more do we need a pocket QB who has a strong arm and goes down the field 30 yards with pin point accuracy, we just need one who can scramble, run and take a hit, and throw it to keep the other team off balance.

Herzig
01-07-2006, 10:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2283797

The Houston Texans will select USC running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in this April's NFL draft, pending the formality of Bush announcing that he is turning pro, team and league sources told Chris Mortensen.

Reggie Bush
Bush

Almost nothing will change that course, the sources say, even after the Texans received word Friday from an intermediary representing Texas quarterback Vince Young that the Houston native is leaning strongly to also going pro.

The Texans will pick up an $8 million option on quarterback David Carr, who was the expansion team's first draft pick four years ago. Texans owner Bob McNair made the decision after getting extensive evaluations from various sources that strongly endorsed Carr, including a favorable report from Dan Reeves, the former longtime NFL coach hired last month as a consultant.

USC's Matt Leinart, who could have been the first pick a year ago had he turned pro after his junior season, still remains the consensus top quarterback in the NFL draft, even if Young comes out. For Leinart, he is likely to be the choice of the New Orleans Saints at No. 2 with Young projected to the Tennessee Titans at No. 3.

Young would be mentored by Titans quarterback Steve McNair, who is hoping to sign a new contract with the club for the 2006 season.

Leinart also would be desirable to Tennessee, where his former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow is now calling plays for the Titans.