PDA

View Full Version : The Texans' Draft Dilemma

Tribal Warfare
01-05-2006, 09:45 PM
The Texans are going to be have conundrum to solve if Vince Young declares his draft status. The reasoning there will be if they draft Vince they'll sell-out all their home games.Due to Youngs' great ability,and Vinces' Micheal Vick like excitability as a player. Thus could leave David Carr the odd man out.Here's the question I'm focusing on if Carr goes on the trading block would Carl give up a multiple picks to attain him, and that's excluding the first.Trent isn't getting any younger

jspchief
01-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Drafting Young to sell tickets is a stupid move.

A year from now, if Young is no good, Texans fans aren't going to give a shit if he's from their state. Winning teams fill stands, not gimmicks. The Texans should draft the guy that's most likely to make their team better. Maybe they'll determine that's Young anyway, but if they are choosing players because of silly shit like that, they're in a world of trouble.

I don't think teams think that way anyway. It's just more bullshit to give the media rhetoric.

Tribal Warfare
01-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Drafting Young to sell tickets is a stupid move.

A year from now, if Young is no good, Texans fans aren't going to give a shit if he's from their state. Winning teams fill stands, not gimmicks. The Texans should draft the guy that's most likely to make their team better. Maybe they'll determine that's Young anyway, but if they are choosing players because of silly shit like that, they're in a world of trouble.

I don't think teams think that way anyway. It's just more bullshit to give the media rhetoric.

It has occured before with other lower tier organizations, I'm just covering all realms of possibility

Brock
01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
They might indeed draft Young, but I doubt he's any higher than a second round pick.

That throwing motion is going to give most teams something to think twice about.

Bowser
01-05-2006, 10:01 PM
If the Texans draft anything other than an Offensive Tackle, they would deserve to be nuked.

Iowanian
01-05-2006, 10:03 PM
As many holes as they have, I wouldn't be suprised if they trade out of that spot.

Bowser
01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
As many holes as they have, I wouldn't be suprised if they trade out of that spot.

Yep.

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2006, 10:36 PM
If the Texans draft anything other than an Offensive Tackle, they would deserve to be nuked.

I agree, they don't need a running back or quarterback. Build that line and get a offensive coach, then they could have a good team.

Bug
01-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Carr is likely to be cut. The team has the option to pick up his option for the next three years, or release him with no cap hit. I don't recall the exact numbers to pick up the remaining 3 years, but it's big, way too big. Every team in the NFL knows this. The Texans may restructure his contrtact after they hire a coach, maybe, but I think they will let him test the FA market.

BTW the Texans ARE desperate to put fans in the seats.

Al Saunders is talking like he wants to coach in Houston.

The Texans are in awe of the numbers the Chiefs offense puts up. It's all over their website, AND he interviewed to be the Texans coach when Capers got the job.

Vince Young is a potential game breaking toy.

Al Saunders loves his toys.

The Texans have a very good running back.

The Texans have a Pro-bowl kick returner.

The Texans have a better recieving corps than the Chiefs IMHO.

A lot has to happen, but then again, not that much.

Reaper16
01-05-2006, 11:40 PM
If Saunders end up coaching the Texans, they take Reggie Bush. Saunders couldn't pass up a toy like that.

If someone smart ends up with the job, they trade down a few if possible, but ultimately take D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Carr is likely to be cut. The team has the option to pick up his option for the next three years, or release him with no cap hit. I don't recall the exact numbers to pick up the remaining 3 years, but it's big, way too big. Every team in the NFL knows this. The Texans may restructure his contrtact after they hire a coach, maybe, but I think they will let him test the FA market.

BTW the Texans ARE desperate to put fans in the seats.

Al Saunders is talking like he wants to coach in Houston.

The Texans are in awe of the numbers the Chiefs offense puts up. It's all over their website, AND he interviewed to be the Texans coach when Capers got the job.

Vince Young is a potential game breaking toy.

Al Saunders loves his toys.

The Texans have a very good running back.

The Texans have a Pro-bowl kick returner.

The Texans have a better recieving corps than the Chiefs IMHO.

A lot has to happen, but then again, not that much.

If Al Saunders goes to Houston, Vince Young isn't going to be there. Our offense is about a pocket QB making the throws, not a Micheal Vick type of player.

Brock
01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
If Al Saunders goes to Houston, Vince Young isn't going to be there. Our offense is about a pocket QB making the throws, not a Micheal Vick type of player.

Young is probably a better QB than Vick ever thought about being.

Tribal Warfare
01-05-2006, 11:49 PM

Vince is a damn good pocket QB too, the great elusiveness and mobility is a bonus.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 11:52 PM
I'll agree to disagree with you guys, he needs alot of work.

banyon
01-06-2006, 12:39 AM
The real question is: would you prefer a Carr/ Reggie Bush backfield or a Leinart-Vince Young/Domanack Davis Backfield?

I think the latter is preferable.

ChiefsCountry
01-06-2006, 12:41 AM
I would rather have a good line.

banyon
01-06-2006, 12:46 AM

I totally agree, but that's not what they're going to pick.

Logical
01-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Carr no longer has 1st round value. Major Pro Bowl players such as Surtain are not commanding first round picks.

Logical
01-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Vince is a damn good pocket QB too, the great elusiveness and mobility is a bonus.:shake:

Scrambling QB who buys time for his receivers to get open because of his threat to run.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 12:58 AM
The Young hype is getting real old real fast but hey I hope he does go high. Gives us a better shot of getting a better player at 20.

HolmeZz
01-06-2006, 01:27 AM

If the choice was between a good line and a good QB, it'd be a good line. But drafting one lineman might not make their line good enough.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 01:28 AM
They might indeed draft Young, but I doubt he's any higher than a second round pick.
He's moved up to Keiper's top 5 overall. Unless something radically changes between now and the draft you're prediction will go down as one of the worst in the history of ChiefsPlanet. And that includes TJ's "2nd level burst" comment.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 01:29 AM
They should trade down with the Jets and pickup that OT and a 2nd rounder.

Logical
01-06-2006, 01:30 AM
He's moved up to Keiper's top 5 overall. Unless something radically changes between now and the draft you're prediction will go down as one of the worst in the history of ChiefsPlanet. And that includes TJ's "2nd level burst" comment. I predict whereever he is drafted, he will initially embraced like Vick but it will take even less time for people to realize he is not a good NFL QB. The fad is diminishing.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 01:35 AM
I predict whereever he is drafted, he will initially embraced like Vick but it will take even less time for people to realize he is not a good NFL QB. The fad is diminishing.
That prediction could very well turn out to be spot on.

Brock
01-06-2006, 01:37 AM
He's moved up to Keiper's top 5 overall. Unless something radically changes between now and the draft you're prediction will go down as one of the worst in the history of ChiefsPlanet. And that includes TJ's "2nd level burst" comment.

As of Dec 28, Kiper didn't even have Young in the TOP 25. I'm pretty sure NFL GMs aren't going to swallow the hype of one game like Kiper apparently has.

Feel free to save my prediction.

HolmeZz
01-06-2006, 01:51 AM
As of Dec 28, Kiper didn't even have Young in the TOP 25. I'm pretty sure NFL GMs aren't going to swallow the hype of one game like Kiper apparently has.

Because Kiper doesn't rank underclassmen that might come back.

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 02:04 AM
I predict whereever he is drafted, he will initially embraced like Vick but it will take even less time for people to realize he is not a good NFL QB. The fad is diminishing.

I'm good at picking QB prospects Green,Pennington before he got hurt, Plummer has finally came around, and Marc Bulger.

I backed Green even when everyone was ridiculing on the BB, and look at him now. Mark my words Vince Young will be a great QB when it's said and done.

Chris Meck
01-06-2006, 09:35 AM
I don't get the Vince Young hype, and the only Texas game I watched all year was The Rose Bowl, which is the one that is creating all that hype.

Yes, he's a great athlete. But an NFL quarterback? NO. Not any more than Brad Smith, thank you.

I'm not a big Vick fan, but there's a world of difference between Young's skills and Vick's. Vick is bigger, faster, more elusive, and has a rocket for an arm. Young doesn't have the big gun, and doesn't appear to be any more polished of a passer.

As good of an athlete as he is, I'm sure you could do something with him, but I don't think it will be at QB.

We've seen lots of these guys, a handful every year, but the NFL game is so much different than the college game that most don't make the transition. I don't think Young will be any different.

The skillset needed at the NFL level is so dramatically different than college that I think you need to look for those skills and not neccessarily gaudy stats-especially not a QB's rushing numbers.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 10:15 AM

Feel free to save my prediction.
Don't assume that's because he wasn't worthy of the top 25 all along in Keiper's mind. Keiper mentioned (on the Dan Patrick Show) that he didn't put him on his list officially because he was a jr. and hadn't declared his intention to go to the NFL. But unofficially he thinks he's would be the #3 or #4 ranked player in the draft this year.

I agree that the hype machine might spin down some and people might look at the mixed results of Vick and back off. I don't think for a minute he's going to drop to the 2nd round though. We'll hold on to your prediction and see.

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't get the Vince Young hype, and the only Texas game I watched all year was The Rose Bowl, which is the one that is creating all that hype.

Yes, he's a great athlete. But an NFL quarterback? NO. Not any more than Brad Smith, thank you.

So you didn't notice how he was threading passes down the lane, and single handedly won the game. That was the Best QB performance since Elway dawned the Stanford uniform. Vince Young will be a great QB count on it.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 12:26 PM
We'll hold on to your prediction and see.
I'll make my own wild-ass-sure-to-be-proven-false prediction... Vince Young doesn't make it past the Jets first pick which unless they trade down will be #4 overall.

duncan_idaho
01-06-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm not a big Vick fan, but there's a world of difference between Young's skills and Vick's. Vick is bigger, faster, more elusive, and has a rocket for an arm. Young doesn't have the big gun, and doesn't appear to be any more polished of a passer.

Vick is bigger? Faster, more elusive, yes. Bigger, no.

Young: 6-5, 230
Vick: 6-0, 215

I think Young already is far more accurate than Vick was coming out of school... and he has some touch, something Vick still is trying to develop.

Herzig
01-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Vince Young is very similar to Daunte Culpepper...only faster.

jAZ
01-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Vick is bigger? Faster, more elusive, yes. Bigger, no.

Young: 6-5, 230
Vick: 6-0, 215

I think Young already is far more accurate than Vick was coming out of school... and he has some touch, something Vick still is trying to develop.
Everything I've read is that he will actually come out of school being able to read a defense, something that many NFL QBs still can't do. I'm starting to think my no-lower-than-the-Jets prediction isn't so pie in the sky.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Vince Young is very similar to Daunte Culpepper...only faster.

More like a Randall Cunningham who can pass astoundingly better.

Herzig
01-07-2006, 10:03 PM
More like a Randall Cunningham who can pass astoundingly better.

I think his height/build makes me think of a faster, smarter Culpepper.

Herzig
01-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Looks like Bush will be #1 after all...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2283797

The Houston Texans will select USC running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in this April's NFL draft, pending the formality of Bush announcing that he is turning pro, team and league sources told Chris Mortensen.

Reggie Bush
Bush

Almost nothing will change that course, the sources say, even after the Texans received word Friday from an intermediary representing Texas quarterback Vince Young that the Houston native is leaning strongly to also going pro.

The Texans will pick up an $8 million option on quarterback David Carr, who was the expansion team's first draft pick four years ago. Texans owner Bob McNair made the decision after getting extensive evaluations from various sources that strongly endorsed Carr, including a favorable report from Dan Reeves, the former longtime NFL coach hired last month as a consultant.

USC's Matt Leinart, who could have been the first pick a year ago had he turned pro after his junior season, still remains the consensus top quarterback in the NFL draft, even if Young comes out. For Leinart, he is likely to be the choice of the New Orleans Saints at No. 2 with Young projected to the Tennessee Titans at No. 3.

Young would be mentored by Titans quarterback Steve McNair, who is hoping to sign a new contract with the club for the 2006 season.

Leinart also would be desirable to Tennessee, where his former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow is now calling plays for the Titans.

ct
01-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Carr no longer has 1st round value. Major Pro Bowl players such as Surtain are not commanding first round picks.

Young franchise caliber QBs still command 1st round value, believe it. Despite that, I don't see any way they let Carr go. They either pay him his $$ already in the contract, or they pay him his $$ in a new contract.

John Matrix
01-14-2006, 01:54 AM
Wouldn't you rather have a Carr/Davis/with D'Brickashaw Ferguson protecting your franchise QB's blindside? I don't understand how people can so easily overlook how horrible the Houston line is...they should trade down to four, grab Ferguson, and they'd probably get a 3 and a 4 or a first in next year's draft for it. There is talent in the OL in this year's draft, and if Charlie Casserly wasn't utterly f*cking retarded, he would do this move.

Reaper16
01-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't you rather have a Carr/Davis/with D'Brickashaw Ferguson protecting your franchise QB's blindside? I don't understand how people can so easily overlook how horrible the Houston line is...they should trade down to four, grab Ferguson, and they'd probably get a 3 and a 4 or a first in next year's draft for it. There is talent in the OL in this year's draft, and if Charlie Casserly wasn't utterly f*cking retarded, he would do this move.
Yeah, thats the obvious football move.
Too bad it won't be done. Either Young or Bush will put rears in the seats. Tha Brick will help them win games.

If you're wondering which one is more important, ask Carl Perterson.

jspchief
01-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Wouldn't you rather have a Carr/Davis/with D'Brickashaw Ferguson protecting your franchise QB's blindside? I don't understand how people can so easily overlook how horrible the Houston line is...they should trade down to four, grab Ferguson, and they'd probably get a 3 and a 4 or a first in next year's draft for it. There is talent in the OL in this year's draft, and if Charlie Casserly wasn't utterly f*cking retarded, he would do this move.The Texans tried to build their franchise that way, by getting Boselli. Not only was it a bust move, it's terribly unexciting for the fans.

Besides, no one wants to be the NFL version of Portland taking Sam Bowie.

htismaqe
01-16-2006, 12:10 PM
The Texans tried to build their franchise that way, by getting Boselli. Not only was it a bust move, it's terribly unexciting for the fans.

The smart football move is to trade down and get Ferguson.

The smart business move is to draft Bush.

Chiefnj
01-16-2006, 12:55 PM
The Texans tried to build their franchise that way, by getting Boselli. Not only was it a bust move, it's terribly unexciting for the fans.

I wonder if Texan fans are excited when they are mathematically eliminated from the playoff picture by week 9 every year?

Isn't Vince Young the best business decision? Keep him in Texas and sell some tickets.

jspchief
01-16-2006, 02:09 PM
I wonder if Texan fans are excited when they are mathematically eliminated from the playoff picture by week 9 every year?

Isn't Vince Young the best business decision? Keep him in Texas and sell some tickets.If you get an electric enough player, fans will be excited inspite of W/L records. Barry Sanders comes to mind or even LT in early years in SD.

As for Young being the best business decision, I think that depends on if you think he's for real. My guess is there are some GMs and talent scouts that aren't convinced that he's as sure a thing as Bush. The whole "Texas boy" thing will wear out quickly if he's no good. Personally, I think he'll be good but not great, and might develop slow.

John Matrix
01-16-2006, 02:12 PM
If you have to run your NFL franchise according to business decisions, then you are a moron (yes that includes you, CP). The only thing that matters is winning and winning=asses in the seats. Moreover, winning is the soundest business decision, b/c the Reggie Bush gimmick will wear off after this first year, and then you'll still be in the same place that you were before.

The best football (and therefore, business) move is to take Tha Brick after you trade down and accumulate more picks.

Given the astounding amount of revenue sharing in the NFL, you are far better off seeking long term improvement rather than short term gain.

The Boselli move was a Sam Bowie situation, because you are taking a guy who is known to be fragile and can't stay healthy. That isn't the case with Tha Brick, who has played since his freshman year. That mo'f*cker will dominate.

Eleazar
01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
The texans would be stupid not to trade down. They can currently auction off Matt Leinert, Reggie Bush, and Young all at the same time. They could get the biggest package of draft picks in the history of the NFL.

With so many holes all over the field, if I were Houston I would cash in on that in a heartbeat (and draft 3 or 4 new linemen)

htismaqe
01-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Moreover, winning is the soundest business decision, b/c the Reggie Bush gimmick will wear off after this first year, and then you'll still be in the same place that you were before.

Ahem.

Mike Vick.