PDA

View Full Version : Al Saunders to interview with the Eagles?

FloridaMan88
01-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Is Al Saunders interviewing to replace Childress in Philly as their OC??

From KFFL:

Eagles | Team expected to interview Saunders
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:47:20 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders is expected to interview with the Philadelphia Eagles this weekend

BigRock
01-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Wow... if Al's interviewing for other OC positions, maybe there's a chance we could keep him.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Wow... if Al's interviewing for other OC positions, maybe there's a chance we could keep him.

We would have to pay him Gregg Williams money, I'd think.

jspchief
01-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Yea, he's so qualified to be a head coach, he's interviewing for lateral jobs.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 12:59 AM
That makes 0 sense, Reid calls the plays in Philly and it's a west coast offense.

tk13
01-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Yea, he's so qualified to be a head coach, he's interviewing for lateral jobs.
He's definitely qualified to be a head coach. If Brad Childress is, and Ron Rivera is, and Gregg Williams is, Al Saunders sure is.... doesn't mean he'll get hired but he's more than qualified for an opportunity.

SLAG
01-06-2006, 01:02 AM
PLEASE MOM CAN WE KEEP AL'

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 01:05 AM
He's definitely qualified to be a head coach. If Brad Childress is, and Ron Rivera is, and Gregg Williams is, Al Saunders sure is.... doesn't mean he'll get hired but he's more than qualified for an opportunity.

That's why the Chiefs should hire him!!! :)

jspchief
01-06-2006, 01:05 AM
He's definitely qualified to be a head coach. If Brad Childress is, and Ron Rivera is, and Gregg Williams is, Al Saunders sure is.... doesn't mean he'll get hired but he's more than qualified for an opportunity.According to who? Us fans that know jack about what it takes to coach in the NFL?

I don't see Rivera, Childress, or Williams out doing interviews for lateral jobs.

There's currently 8 open HC jobs, soon to be 9. Doesn't it seem odd that Saunders is interviewing to be another coord? I'm beginning to think there's something about Saunders that's keeping him from getting a HC job. It's walking like a duck, and talking like a duck.

SLAG
01-06-2006, 01:07 AM
According to who? Us fans that know jack about what it takes to coach in the NFL?

I don't see Rivera, Childress, or Williams out doing interviews for lateral jobs.

There's currently 8 open HC jobs, soon to be 9. Doesn't it seem odd that Saunders is interviewing to be another coord? I'm beginning to think there's something about Saunders that's keeping him from getting a HC job. It's walking like a duck, and talking like a duck.

So if hes going to Be O.C somewhere why not here? :hmmm:

jspchief
01-06-2006, 01:10 AM
So if hes going to Be O.C somewhere why not here? :hmmm:Another good question. Why not stay with the #1 offense, that he built? It's not like the Chiefs are tight when it comes to paying coaches.

My only guess is Saunders thought he'd get the HC job after Vermeil, and the Chiefs looking elsewhere has created a rift.

SLAG
01-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Another good question. Why not stay with the #1 offense, that he built? It's not like the Chiefs are tight when it comes to paying coaches.

My only guess is Saunders thought he'd get the HC job after Vermeil, and the Chiefs looking elsewhere has created a rift.

I think Vermiel, Peterson, Edwards, and Saunders all Knew it was going to be Edwards Since Sept. 10th

tk13
01-06-2006, 01:16 AM
Don't forget he's been offered jobs and turned them down to continue to coach the Chiefs. I don't know what it could be. I think he's qualified though, like in terms of accomplishments to get you a look as a HC... which is what it normally takes, superior achievements in your coordinator position.

The last four years we've been ranked #1 in the NFL in either points or yards. There's only one other time I found that happening, and that was the 92-95 Niners. Their OC for most of that period was Mike Shanahan.

I don't know what it could be. I'd guess his age would be a factor. Maybe he just comes across as too nice. He is a very well spoken guy, I'd bet he is really good in interviews. I think he's pretty aggressive though, I don't think him being too well mannered would be it. I mean that could be what's holding him back, he's too aggressive, the NFL is generally a very old school, conservative style league. He is definitely the a superior offensive coach... I don't know.

tk13
01-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Another good question. Why not stay with the #1 offense, that he built? It's not like the Chiefs are tight when it comes to paying coaches.

His loyalty to Vermeil is what kept him here. Peterson already passed over Saunders once to hire Gun as head coach. He'd be a sucker to come back again.

Logical
01-06-2006, 01:18 AM
According to who? Us fans that know jack about what it takes to coach in the NFL?

Mainly:
age 59
last HC experience about 15 years ago
Last HCing results - bad failure

picasso
01-06-2006, 01:19 AM

Funny thing is I have never heard the man talk. Can he? I mean I have heard Childress, Williams and even Rivera talk (once) but never Saunders. I think that that is why he should stay in the booth as an OC. Does he have a speech problem, a bad lisp or something. It has to be something that makes everybody turn away. Gingivitis maybe???

SLAG
01-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Funny thing is I have never heard the man talk. Can he? I mean I have heard Childress, Williams and even Rivera talk (once) but never Saunders. I think that that is why he should stay in the booth as an OC. Does he have a speech problem, a bad lisp or something. It has to be something that makes everybody turn away. Gingivitis maybe???

i have heard him before the game talking to Gretz'y boy All the time

He talks just fine

tk13
01-06-2006, 01:23 AM
From everything I've seen in interviews, he is very well spoken. Very friendly too. I know the people on this board who've met him have had nothing but great things to say about the guy.

picasso
01-06-2006, 01:26 AM
What was his ordeal in San Diego when he was HC? What happened there and wasn't he let go after a year? Was he hired as the coach or was he promoted within after the previous HC was fired?

tk13
01-06-2006, 01:43 AM
What was his ordeal in San Diego when he was HC? What happened there and wasn't he let go after a year? Was he hired as the coach or was he promoted within after the previous HC was fired?
He took over the remains of their great 80's teams, led by Coryell himself. Fouts, Winslow, Charlie Joiner, etc... but they were all pretty old and close to retiring. He only had a couple years before getting canned.

"If the opportunity presents itself, it would be something I would enjoy doing again," said Saunders, who went 17-22 as the Chargers' head coach. "I'm a lot better prepared this time."

Saunders was 39 years old when he supplanted Don Coryell midway through the 1986 season. He went 8-7 during the following strike year and exited after '88 with a 6-10 mark.

With the Chiefs' potent offense making its mark again this year, Saunders' phone could be ringing come February. He will answer, minus questions he erased with the Chargers.

"You learn you can't do it all yourself and you need really good people around you," Saunders said. "The philosophy of the organization has to be one fit, in regards to the concept. The management and ownership have to be on the same page about building a team."

Saunders solidified his reputation as an assistant head coach when his 1999 Rams won the Super Bowl, and, more recently, in his two years in Kansas City. Saunders could be a chief name when head coaching vacancies arise.

"After 15 years, I've learned a lot of football," he said. "I'm much more ready to be a head coach, and I'd like to be."

jspchief
01-06-2006, 01:51 AM
He took over the remains of their great 80's teams, led by Coryell himself. Fouts, Winslow, Charlie Joiner, etc... but they were all pretty old and close to retiring. He only had a couple years before getting canned.Sounds familiar.

tk13
01-06-2006, 02:00 AM
He's actually a pretty good athlete too. He has run in marathons. He's probably more active and enthusiastic than I give him credit for. It's hard to see that sitting up in a box.

Saunders wasted no time installing his high-flying offense in Kansas City once the Chiefs signed QB Trent Green, the conductor of the same offensive scheme in St. Louis. Green's familiarity with the offense has eased the transition for many of the other players, giving them another teacher on the field.

Not to be outdone, Saunders spends nearly as much time on the field as any of the starting Chiefs offensive weapons. A spirited motivator, Saunders is always moving and running from player to player providing encouragement or instruction. It is a common sight on the Kansas City practice field to see Saunders running routes with the receivers and being the first man downfield to congratulate one of his young pupils. In fact during training camp in River Falls, Wis. Saunders was so enthusiastic over a reception by rookie WR J.J. Moses that he sprinted in front of him and led him down the field blocking attacking defenders on the way.

"I'm sure the first question is what are you going to be like on offense ?

What can we expect ? To give you an overview of what we anticipate. We are going to have an attacking mentality. Attack, attack, attack. It's going to be fun to play and fun to watch The players that play in this scheme of offense enjoy playing the game. The people that watch it have a right to understand that what we do is going to be exciting for them. They pay to see exciting football; our players enjoy playing exciting football.

"Ours will be a diversified system that allows us to use the personality and playing skills of the best players on the football team. We are going to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers and we're going to create motion, formation, shifting, and ways in which to attack defensive schemes and defensive personnel. We're going to throw the ball long, throw it short, we're going to throw it sideways, we're going to throw it up the field; we're going to run it laterally, we're going to run it vertically; we're going to run draws, we're going to run screens, we're going to run traps, we're going to run a power game. We're going to throw the ball and run the ball in a balanced fashion in a creative, diversified attack. Those are the two operable words. It's going to be creative and it's going to be diversified.

When we get the football we're going to end up in the endzone. How we do that will be dictated by a lot of circumstances in the game. Offensive people are sometimes very conservative in what they do; we won't be that way. We're going to be aggressive and attacking.

"You grow every year as a coach. The fun thing about coaching is you find there's not one way to do something. There are a lot of ways to do things. The great thing that I've had a chance to do is be in a tremendous number of systems that have allowed me to learn football from a lot of different angles. It's been a circular thing: from Don Coryell's system that was the most prolific offense in history in football at that time, back to the same system in St. Louis. Through that march has been the system that we incorporated here with Marty (Schottenheimer). That was Lindy Infante's system and expanded into the West Coast system that was utilized by Paul Hackett and Jimmy Raye last year. The two years away brought be full circle in offensive theory."

tk13
01-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Sounds familiar.
They didn't have anyone half as good as Larry Johnson, so not really... plus Fouts had like 15 years of wear and tear on his arm and body, and Joiner was like 40 years old. I think we're in a lot better shape offensively.

jspchief
01-06-2006, 02:03 AM
They didn't have anyone half as good as Larry Johnson, so not really...Yea, because all it takes is a RB. Barry Sanders told me so.

Hootie
01-06-2006, 02:05 AM
Yea, because all it takes is a RB. Barry Sanders told me so.
I'd say Trent is a bit more talented than Scott Mitchell...

jspchief
01-06-2006, 02:06 AM
I'd say Trent is a bit more talented than Scott Mitchell...I'd say you're not following the direction of the thread.

tk13
01-06-2006, 02:08 AM
Yea, because all it takes is a RB. Barry Sanders told me so.
Where did I say that? You said it sounded familiar... I said that not quite because our best offensive weapon isn't over the hill. Not to mention we've got several young players on defense. I didn't say it was a winning team, but there are pieces there at least.

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 02:12 AM
The thing that's hurting him is his age, because being 58 doesn't mean that you show your AARP card and get a free pass on a job.if he does get hired it would a short three year tener,because father time is working against him.

huskerdooz
01-06-2006, 02:30 AM
[QUOTE=jspchief]According to who? Us fans that know jack about what it takes to coach in the NFL?

QUOTE]

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he is currently in need of a job. Last time I checked Rivera, Childress, and Williams were OCs and DCs on teams that retained their HCs. ATM Al doesn't have that luxury. He has interviewed for atleast 2 HC positions already. IIRCC the past few seasons when DV was still here, he interviewed for HC positions but not other OC positions because he was already currently employed. From what I understand he doesn't have a job right now so technically he's not interviewing for a lateral move. I wouldn't be surprised that if the rift between CP and AS is as large as has been rumored, than he won't be returning to KC in any capacity now that DV isn't around to keep CP off his @$$.

huskerdooz
01-06-2006, 02:35 AM

I've heard him interviewed on 810 quite often and he's quite articulate. Johnny used to have him on his morning show all the time before he fell off the wagon and got canned. I can't recall if St John and Fescoe have had him on but that doesn't surprise me with all the anti-Chiefs BS that has come from that station lately.

huskerdooz
01-06-2006, 02:38 AM
The thing that's hurting him is his age, because being 58 doesn't mean that you show your AARP card and get a free pass on a job.if he does get hired it would a short three year tener,because father time is working against him.

I find it incredulous that 7 years makes such a big difference. Herm is 51 and if he was not under contract at the moment he would be considered one of the better HCing candidates.