PDA

View Full Version : This (rehashed) thread sucks.

penguinz
01-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Would be a shame if the site was on a server that could handle a load. Oh well... What should you expect when the owner/admin is awol.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Would be a shame if the site was on a server that could handle a load. Oh well... What should you expect when the owner/admin is awol.
Actually he's been working on upgrading the version of our BB software and in the process restarting the database. I'm guessing he's tinkering right now.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 01:19 PM
The server does in fact suck in at least one respect though... everything is on an IDE harddrive which is much of the problem when we have a heavier load.

I'd suggest taking up a donation drive to upgrade the servers drive technology.

Brock
01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
He probably has a life.

Otter
01-06-2006, 01:20 PM

Taco John and Orangmane handle lots of big loads. Go there.

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2006, 01:21 PM

Yea, but they handle those loads on their faces.

Alton deFlat
01-06-2006, 01:22 PM

I just had chili for lunch. Maybe I'll go have a look......... Nah.

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Another funding idea that has been brought up before is advertisements on the front page for revenue. With as many hits this website gets this option should be feasible if money is an issue for a functional server.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
gift horse-mouth, look not

penguinz
01-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Actually he's been working on upgrading the version of our BB software and in the process restarting the database. I'm guessing he's tinkering right now.
Nice to see that you stopped sucking Kyle and came up for air.

There is no excuse for a site this popular to have the issues it has.

Go back to the DC forum where you belong.

Calcountry
01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Actually he's been working on upgrading the version of our BB software and in the process restarting the database. I'm guessing he's tinkering right now.He said as much a couple of days ago.

It has been performing pretty well of late, nothing like last year.

When you unplug the thing, you won't get through. lmao.

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 01:47 PM
It looks like Kyle needs to needs to assign more responsiblities to the mods in maintaining the site, or delegate responsiblities to a "techy group" to ensure that doesn't occur as often.

morphius
01-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Another funding idea that has been brought up before is advertisements on the front page for revenue. With as many hits this website gets this option should be feasible if money is an issue for a functional server.
We need to get something going. I know Austinchief is working on the next version, its just frustrating to deal with this day in and day out. This site has been sucking badly lately, not the posts, just the availablity.

Calcountry

Go back to the DC forum where you belong.Look, I am in front of the computer when I have the time. If CP gives me that blank stare back, no pages loading, I go to the "other" site for my coffee break.

Much as I would go to another gas station if the one I prefer to gas up at was out of gas.

Rausch

I did...

4th and Long
It looks like Kyle needs to needs to assign more responsiblities to the mods in maintaining the site, or delegate a "techy group" ensure that doesn't occur as often.
Let's see. Kyle owns the site. Kyle is in Texas. Any bets as to where the server is sitting?

penguinz
It looks like Kyle needs to needs to assign more responsiblities to the mods in maintaining the site, or delegate a "techy group" ensure that doesn't occur as often.
We tried that before phobia left and it did not accomplish anything.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 01:50 PM
We need to get something going. I know Austinchief is working on the next version, its just frustrating to deal with this day in and day out. This site has been sucking badly lately, not the posts, just the availablity.

Recently this site has been the Herman Edwards/Marty Schottenheimer of sites: it's down when you need it the most; lots of things happening, etc. :)

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 01:51 PM

Phobia didn't really leave, I saw him posting quite a bit the other day... :hmmm:

Frazod
01-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Personally, I was hoping that since Phil and his driving ambition to make this the biggest BB in the history of the universe are gone, perhaps we could finally do something to limit lurkers and n00bs.

If we can upgrade to a server that can handle the load, that's fine, but if not, it's really unfair to those of us who've (a) been here forever and (b) voluntarily paid to support the site that every time something big happens the goddamn BB dies.

penguinz
Phobia didn't really leave, I saw him posting quite a bit the other day... :hmmm:
He is no longer a part owner of the site.

Tribal Warfare

The status quo is just fabulous, is their any other solutions? When the head can't handle certain issues with site, then the guy needs to find people who are more qualified to help him with that situation

penguinz
01-06-2006, 01:54 PM
is their any other solutions? Maybe a semester of basic English?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Personally, I was hoping that since Phil and his driving ambition to make this the biggest BB in the history of the universe are gone, perhaps we could finally do something to limit lurkers and n00bs.

If we can upgrade to a server that can handle the load, that's fine, but if not, it's really unfair to those of us who've (a) been here forever and (b) voluntarily paid to support the site that every time something big happens the goddamn BB dies.

If the site implodes again, I think it's time to go to Defcon 2: Only BB members can view the site. God help us if we have to go to Defcon 3...

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Maybe a semester of basic English?

ooh, now were getting on grammer?????

ARE THEIR ANY OTHER SOLUTIONS

HAPPY 4321

tk13
01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Probably should make lurkers off limits during the rough patches. Both Jets boards have had problems this week too because of this whole Herm Edwards thing.

penguinz
01-06-2006, 02:02 PM

HAPPY 4321
How about a dictionary? :shrug:

jAZ
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM

Go back to the DC forum where you belong.
ROFL Wow.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Probably should make lurkers off limits during the rough patches. Both Jets boards have had problems this week too because of this whole Herm Edwards thing.
I'm not sure if that means much... I just noticed this...

Currently Active Users: 235 (143 members and 92 guests)
Most users ever online was 495, 06-21-2005 at 11:00 AM.

That's a lot of guests, no doubt, but with a Max Users ever of 495... it seems 235 should be no biggie.

Lzen
01-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Yea, but they handle those loads on their faces.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Lzen
01-06-2006, 03:03 PM

HAPPY 4321

Bwahahahaha!!! This post has more grammar errors than your previous one. ;)

Bob Dole
01-06-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure if that means much... I just noticed this...

That's a lot of guests, no doubt, but with a Max Users ever of 495... it seems 235 should be no biggie.

It doesn't appear that the number of connections is the major issue, but rather, the amount of disk thrashing those connected users are causing.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 03:37 PM
It doesn't appear that the number of connections is the major issue, but rather, the amount of disk thrashing those connected users are causing.
Which goes back to my point about the IDE drive it seems.

penguinz
01-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Drives, RAM, CPU....

joesomebody
01-06-2006, 03:56 PM
I've put in money everytime it was requested, always to Phobia's pay pal... so not sure if any of it went where it was supposed to, but if we do another dollar drive, let's have a no shit plan for the money and how it will help the site.

Edit: Don't want to make it sound like I think Phobia ran off with the money, simply mean he left before the upgrades were finished, so I'm not sure if that money is still going where it was originally going. Money probably is still with Chiefs Planet, just saying the original plans have changed probably.

BigRedChief
01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Which goes back to my point about the IDE drive it seems.

The board could be improved with "better" hardware but it still won't fix the underlying and "true" issue..........the database index is in constant need of attention.