PDA

View Full Version : Another quitting smoking thread

joesomebody
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I know there have been 800 of these threads, but this is the first time I've tried to quit in about 2 years, and I thought I'd go ahead and put my attempt in writing to further push me in the right direction.

This is my third day without a cigarette and I almost didn't make it. I've been using the patch, 21mg version since I'm on step 1. This morning was an especially rough morning with meetings and what not, and just getting back to the swing of things after the holidays.

I broke down and went and bought the commit lozenges, 4 mg version. I've only had one today, and it did seem to help. I'm planning on using the lozenges when I absolutly can't live with out a smoke, and following the plan listed with my patches.

I realize most of the quitters on here probably quit cold turkey, but hey I'm going to try some of this modern technology to my advantage.

The main reason I'm quitting is a deal I made with my little brother to get him to quit. I'd told him I'd quit if he promised to quit.

chiefsfaninNC
01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
I saw your brother smoking this morning.

Simply Red
01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I know there have been 800 of these threads, but this is the first time I've tried to quit in about 2 years, and I thought I'd go ahead and put my attempt in writing to further push me in the right direction.

This is my third day without a cigarette and I almost didn't make it. I've been using the patch, 21mg version since I'm on step 1. This morning was an especially rough morning with meetings and what not, and just getting back to the swing of things after the holidays.

I broke down and went and bought the commit lozenges, 4 mg version. I've only had one today, and it did seem to help. I'm planning on using the lozenges when I absolutly can't live with out a smoke, and following the plan listed with my patches.

I realize most of the quitters on here probably quit cold turkey, but hey I'm going to try some of this modern technology to my advantage.

The main reason I'm quitting is a deal I made with my little brother to get him to quit. I'd told him I'd quit if he promised to quit.

Yeah. Holy Shite!!! Kansas City is a smoking city. I smoked for 12 yrs. myself. Arrowhead was full of smokers. Not that it bothered me though. I was too fired-up about the game.

Frazod
01-06-2006, 03:17 PM
I've been quit nearly 5 months now (after 21 years of smoking). Going strong. I really don't think about it that much anymore, and being around it doesn't really bother me.

Now I need to get my fat ass in gear and start exercising and dieting to lose all the weight I gained. That's proving infinitely more difficult. :banghead:

Good luck.

chiefsfaninNC
01-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I've been quit nearly 5 months now (after 21 years of smoking). Going strong. I really don't think about it that much anymore, and being around it doesn't really bother me.

Now I need to get my fat ass in gear and start exercising and dieting to lose all the weight I gained. That's proving infinitely more difficult. :banghead:

Good luck.

What? Posting at chiefsplanet isn't considerd exercise? Damn. I'm doomed!

Frazod
01-06-2006, 03:22 PM
And yes, I quit cold turkey. I guess if you feel like you need the patch/gum/whatever, then go for it, but IMO it's nothing more than greedy douchebags preying on your weakness, and you don't need it. If you've gone 3 days the nicotine is out of your system. I just chew Trident - that's become my new oral fixation. I do chew gum pretty much constantly now, but it's much cheaper and healthier than smoking.

Just sack up and quit. If you want to do it, you can.

Calcountry
01-06-2006, 03:47 PM
And yes, I quit cold turkey. I guess if you feel like you need the patch/gum/whatever, then go for it, but IMO it's nothing more than greedy douchebags preying on your weakness, and you don't need it. If you've gone 3 days the nicotine is out of your system. I just chew Trident - that's become my new oral fixation. I do chew gum pretty much constantly now, but it's much cheaper and healthier than smoking.

Just sack up and quit. If you want to do it, you can.Don't you have a girl friend or wife to take out some of this oral anxiety on?

:)

RJ
01-06-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm a nonsmoker for 2 y 5 m now after having smoked for over 25 years. I had tried cold turkey numerous times, always went back. What finally worked for me was the patch method, not being in bars and the added motivation of a newborn daughter. It's probably worth mentioning that I followed the instructions that came with the patches to the letter which meant staying on them for several weeks. Expensive, but not compared to what I was spending on smokes. By the way, I used the Walgreens brand......saved a few bucks over the "name" brands.

Some things you'll like about quitting:

Your home, car and clothes won't smell like smoke.

You won't have to look at or clean another dirty ashtray. I really don't miss that.

You'll probably save at least $1500 a year.

You won't have to dread going places where you can't smoke.....planes, movies, non-smokers houses, etc.

And so many more.....

Good luck. The first week is the hardest, IMO. Should get easier as you go along.

Bugeater
01-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Your home, car and clothes won't smell like smoke.

Your home and car will be cleaner too. I've tried to quit several times, but the booze always fugs me up. I'm resigned to the fact that I won't be able to quit unless I quit drinking too. Don't forsee that happening. Good luck.

BigRedChief
01-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Some previous ones about quitting smoking. Lots of good info in these threads. Good Luck!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=121666&highlight=smoking

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130563&highlight=smoking